• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Warriors 5 - Demo is live on PSN (Gameplay on PS5)

rubhen925

Hey guys, Koei Tecmo PR just emailed me mentioning that the demo is live on PSN today. Not sure about other platforms. Here's some info:

- Demo install size is 2.8 GB
- is about 40 - 45 mins long including cutscenes
- Demo is the first 2 levels in the game, and progress carries over to main game
- PS4 version running on PS5 through Backwards Compatibility
- game runs at 60 FPS, but the PR couldn't confirm max resolution output. Knowing these games I doubt it can go 4K for PS4 version
- You only get to use one character, Oda Nobunaga.
- gameplay felt smooth. Didn't notice any issues. Loading times were anywhere from 2-5 seconds depending on loading levels, or going in and out of cutscenes.

Gameplay on PS5:

Been running through the Switch version. Cel shaded style looks pretty cool, shame the performance is the same docked & undocked. Wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 version does some kind of 4k-ish mode like DW9

rubhen925

Been running through the Switch version. Cel shaded style looks pretty cool, shame the performance is the same docked & undocked. Wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 version does some kind of 4k-ish mode like DW9
Yea the cutscenes are definitely not 4K. I just ran through it again setting the PS5 to 4K mode. It looks pixelated and blurry at times. Gameplay looks ok but we need DF or VG Tech confirming the resolutions soon

Xeaker

Graphics look like a downgrade to 4 wtf?!

3f3a0fefe74e60050a11c43c18282cd4.jpg

d6uMSOw.png

CamHostage

I appreciate that Omega Force is still doing traditional map-style Musou even though DW9 reinvented the engine. I played 9 for a short while and was just stunned how much I didn't like it, visuals were hard to play in a way that I'm not usually disturbed by (grainy and ugly, but also everything seemed small, I remember spamming the pick-up button because I couldn't tell items sometimes) and the battle layout was completely uncompelling. Hopefully a future DW10 will fix all those problems, but in the meantime, a traditional Musou in one of the other product lines is preferrable.

Would also like to see a third Toukiden maybe.

OK, back to SW5.

Graphics look like a downgrade to 4 wtf?!

d6uMSOw.png

It's a shift in graphical style. Not sure why the change? Maybe to help it stand out from DW a bit clearer (especially now that DW is open-world)? Maybe to emphasize style (more since SW I feel was always a little showier and devoted to a different type of fantasy legacy)? Maybe because they've realized with Hyrule and DQ and other Musou spin-offs that their animation-style graphics actually work better and/or are easier on the engine? Maybe sales trends have gone towards animation style?

I kind of remember there maybe being a reason for the change given in some interview but I don't have that on hand.

Last edited:
SW4 was also on Switch (and PS Vita, and PS3.) So, no, it's not the cross-gen boogieman.
I actually totally forgot for some reason it was on PS3/Vita as well. Didn't it come out way before the Switch though?

Either way I'm talking shit on the graphics but haven't even had a chance to play the demo yet, maybe it looks better in motion on the screen.

Hoppa

I've seen a bit of controversy around this game because it has a lot of clones despite having a smaller roster.. Demo was good though, seems a bit slower than Warriors 4 II and Orochi 4 but thats not a bad thing. Looking forward to the full release!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got my copy preordered. I wasn’t too thrilled with DW9 due to how confusing it’s cast and map layout were. I have high hopes for this. This is considered a reboot of the series, so that sorta explains the different look. I haven’t tried the demo yet. There were older and younger versions of a couple characters on the website, so maybe that’s why the roster is being looked at so differently. It looks good to me. I read where they are going to downsize the open world map in DW9 Empires, whenever that decides to release.

Top Bottom