• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Sankei: Universal Studios Japan to open Nintendo Land in 2020, $400 million budget

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Oct 30, 2015
I can just imagine what Nintendo can do with $$$ dedicated to a VR F-Zero atraction. There are glorious times ahead.

Chindogg

Oct 5, 2010
This is a Japan thing only?

No. The plan is to do it in Japan first (early as 2018) then Hollywood and Orlando, with Orlando being the biggest version.

The big rumor is that there will be some kind of Mario Kart ride.

Source: screamscape

Vidiot

Nov 15, 2011
Star wars and Nintendo theme parks in a few years. I'm really hyped for this as I've got a 21 month old son that I can't wait to share my passions with. :)

These parks sound like my childhood dreams come true and now I get to share in with my own son. Such a great feeling.

Etzer

Jun 23, 2012
For context, Universal Studios Japan spent $450 million developing The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Whoa. This is going to be insane. Think of the StreetPasses.

Jul 29, 2010
www.neogaf.com
MiiMoto, mate.

Yep. And with cloud saves announced, I could easily a situation where you check in with the Miitomo app at Nintendo Land and unlock an exclusive Mario Kart vehicle, or legendary Pokemon, or Mii clothing item, etc, since your cloud data could be wirelessly modified on the fly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
No. The plan is to do it in Japan first (early as 2018) then Hollywood and Orlando, with Orlando being the biggest version.

That would definitely get me to go visit Orlando again, no lie.

Tripon

May 24, 2013

I wonder the discrepancy between Screamscape and Sankai.

StriKeVillain

Banned
Apr 27, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Drat. I was hoping this would come to Universal Orlando first. Looks like the rumors of JPN being the initial landing spot are true.

Nintendo land in Florida will probably happen around 2024?

Chindogg

Oct 5, 2010
I wonder the discrepancy between Screamscape and Sankai.

Screamscape is basically a theme park fansite that has connections with everyone when it comes to rumors and speculation. They're arguably the authority on theme park news.

Is there any reason why Nintendo went with Universal and not Disney for this?

When you compare Harry Potter in Orlando to anything Disney has made recently, on top of building schedules, you'd realize that Universal is starting to become the premier theme park company.

In the time it took Disney to finish one ride at Magic Kingdom, Universal remodeled half of their Studios park in Orlando.

antonz

May 12, 2010
400 million is actually a pretty large sum of money. They could put in numerous rides and then the usual buildings etc.

Jul 29, 2010
www.neogaf.com
Screamscape is basically a theme park fansite that has connections with everyone when it comes to rumors and speculation. They're arguably the authority on theme park news.

Regional parks, maybe. Screamscape is almost always wrong when it comes to Universal/Disney. IIRC the site basically takes user-submitted tips and reports them as news. No way the site can corroborate all of those claims, considering how many parks it covers.

Chindogg

Oct 5, 2010
Regional parks, maybe. Screamscape is almost always wrong when it comes to Universal/Disney. IIRC the site basically takes user-submitted tips and reports them as news. No way the site can corroborate all of those claims, considering how many parks it covers.

They were right about the Fallon and Fast and Furious news before announced, as well as Kong, Daigon Alley, Transformers, and the Simpsons expansion.

Crayolan

Sep 30, 2013
That strategic 2020 opening alongside the Tokyo Olympics, clever.

Hopefully they don't skip over the opportunity to an F-Zero rollercoaster called Big Blue.

Feb 5, 2015
New Orleans
There had better be Waluigi(s) walking around the park when it opens. Hopefully the Hollywood/Orlando branch opens soon after, but I'm down. To Japan I fly four years from now.

Jul 29, 2010
www.neogaf.com
They were right about the Fallon and Fast and Furious news before announced, as well as Kong, Daigon Alley, Transformers, and the Simpsons expansion.

Most of those were previously leaked by other means (Diagon Alley through construction permits, Kong through a user on a Universal fan site, etc). On the other hand, Screamscape has reported preposterous claims such as Universal dropping Marvel. It just isn't where I'd look to for my rumors.

Chindogg

Oct 5, 2010
Most of those were previously leaked by other means (Diagon Alley through construction permits, Kong through a user on a Universal fan site, etc). On the other hand, Screamscape has reported preposterous claims such as Universal dropping Marvel. It just isn't where I'd look to for my rumors.

They speculated the possibility of dropping Marvel, not that they were actually going to do it. Ultimately they agreed that the only way they'd do it is if Disney paid them.

Mindlog

Aug 31, 2007
www.youtube.com
That would definitely get me to go visit Orlando again, no lie.
All the signs are pointing towards something new and absolutely massive in Orlando.
Universal actually came to Nintendo. Apparently with an incredibly in-depth pitch that took Iwata and co. off-guard with how detailed it all was, which really greased the wheels.
Something happened to that group in the last decade or so. They've always been pretty good, but once they decided to step up their game the parks are turning into something special. Not surprised by how much planning was there. Universal works hard to get their expansions correct.

Jul 29, 2010
www.neogaf.com
Something happened to that group in the last decade or so. They've always been pretty good, but once they decided to step up their game the parks are turning into something special. Not surprised by how much planning was there. Universal works hard to get their expansions correct.

Comcast happened.