• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sankei: Universal Studios Japan to open Nintendo Land in 2020, $400 million budget

Scum

if Nintendo is smart, they can use it to push NX handheld too

Eg receive some spotpass freebies, use the NX as a digital map, some mini games which you can play with your NX there that will win you prizes etc
MiiMoto, mate.

Chindogg

This is a Japan thing only?

No. The plan is to do it in Japan first (early as 2018) then Hollywood and Orlando, with Orlando being the biggest version.

The big rumor is that there will be some kind of Mario Kart ride.

Source: screamscape

Vidiot

Star wars and Nintendo theme parks in a few years. I'm really hyped for this as I've got a 21 month old son that I can't wait to share my passions with. :)

These parks sound like my childhood dreams come true and now I get to share in with my own son. Such a great feeling.

MiiMoto, mate.

Yep. And with cloud saves announced, I could easily a situation where you check in with the Miitomo app at Nintendo Land and unlock an exclusive Mario Kart vehicle, or legendary Pokemon, or Mii clothing item, etc, since your cloud data could be wirelessly modified on the fly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
No. The plan is to do it in Japan first (early as 2018) then Hollywood and Orlando, with Orlando being the biggest version.

That would definitely get me to go visit Orlando again, no lie.

Tripon

I wonder the discrepancy between Screamscape and Sankai.

Drat. I was hoping this would come to Universal Orlando first. Looks like the rumors of JPN being the initial landing spot are true.

Nintendo land in Florida will probably happen around 2024?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Glad to be living in Osaka.

Chindogg

I wonder the discrepancy between Screamscape and Sankai.

Screamscape is basically a theme park fansite that has connections with everyone when it comes to rumors and speculation. They're arguably the authority on theme park news.

Is there any reason why Nintendo went with Universal and not Disney for this?

When you compare Harry Potter in Orlando to anything Disney has made recently, on top of building schedules, you'd realize that Universal is starting to become the premier theme park company.

In the time it took Disney to finish one ride at Magic Kingdom, Universal remodeled half of their Studios park in Orlando.

antonz

400 million is actually a pretty large sum of money. They could put in numerous rides and then the usual buildings etc.

Screamscape is basically a theme park fansite that has connections with everyone when it comes to rumors and speculation. They're arguably the authority on theme park news.

Regional parks, maybe. Screamscape is almost always wrong when it comes to Universal/Disney. IIRC the site basically takes user-submitted tips and reports them as news. No way the site can corroborate all of those claims, considering how many parks it covers.

Chindogg

Regional parks, maybe. Screamscape is almost always wrong when it comes to Universal/Disney. IIRC the site basically takes user-submitted tips and reports them as news. No way the site can corroborate all of those claims, considering how many parks it covers.

They were right about the Fallon and Fast and Furious news before announced, as well as Kong, Daigon Alley, Transformers, and the Simpsons expansion.

Crayolan

That strategic 2020 opening alongside the Tokyo Olympics, clever.

Hopefully they don't skip over the opportunity to an F-Zero rollercoaster called Big Blue.

There had better be Waluigi(s) walking around the park when it opens. Hopefully the Hollywood/Orlando branch opens soon after, but I'm down. To Japan I fly four years from now.

They were right about the Fallon and Fast and Furious news before announced, as well as Kong, Daigon Alley, Transformers, and the Simpsons expansion.

Most of those were previously leaked by other means (Diagon Alley through construction permits, Kong through a user on a Universal fan site, etc). On the other hand, Screamscape has reported preposterous claims such as Universal dropping Marvel. It just isn't where I'd look to for my rumors.

Chindogg

Most of those were previously leaked by other means (Diagon Alley through construction permits, Kong through a user on a Universal fan site, etc). On the other hand, Screamscape has reported preposterous claims such as Universal dropping Marvel. It just isn't where I'd look to for my rumors.

They speculated the possibility of dropping Marvel, not that they were actually going to do it. Ultimately they agreed that the only way they'd do it is if Disney paid them.

Mindlog

That would definitely get me to go visit Orlando again, no lie.
All the signs are pointing towards something new and absolutely massive in Orlando.
Universal actually came to Nintendo. Apparently with an incredibly in-depth pitch that took Iwata and co. off-guard with how detailed it all was, which really greased the wheels.
Something happened to that group in the last decade or so. They've always been pretty good, but once they decided to step up their game the parks are turning into something special. Not surprised by how much planning was there. Universal works hard to get their expansions correct.

Something happened to that group in the last decade or so. They've always been pretty good, but once they decided to step up their game the parks are turning into something special. Not surprised by how much planning was there. Universal works hard to get their expansions correct.

Comcast happened.

Why would they do this in Japan and not the U.S.?

Doesn't make sense to me.

It is coming to the US.

And for the Orlando Park, it will definitely be bigger. They have way more land to play with there and Universal really, really wants to start chipping away at Disney's dominance in Florida parks.

Top Bottom