• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica and Ubisoft sale on NA PSN

I'll never understand the unbridled hate for The Order. It's beautiful and polished, and has some really unique weapons. Gunplay generally feels good. Sure, it's short [there is zero filler, either in extra fights or exposition]. Combat arenas aren't the best, but it's fun to try out the various weapons. The couple qte fights are bad, but minimal. The story is interesting, though does have a ending that might leave people looking for a happy ending a bit underwhelmed.

But even with it's negatives, the sheer polish on the game is amazing. People play far worse games regularly and they don't get a quarter of the hate.

everything you pick up is filler...all the forced walking sections are filler. I didnt hate this game like many others did but there is still quite a bit of fat on The Orders lean framework.

The Order is a steal @ that price. Even if you don't enjoy the gameplay
I loved it personally
worth it for the visuals at least.

What I don't like about Order is you don't control shit. It might as well be on-rails light gun shooter. Legit got turned off within 5 minutes into the game. The "ZOMG IT LOOKS PRETTY" dies real quick when you realize you could've just watched this on YouTube.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Order is one of the worst games i have ever played but everyone should play it for $4.

Play it for the graphics.
Play it to understand what happens when devs get their head too far up their own ass and end up making a movie instead of a video game.

Is Steep a $30 game? Played the beta and it certainly didn't scream $60. For those who have played the full game, jump on it at $30 or wait?

Valonquar

Astoundingly good sales on games I already own. God of War 3 remaster for $6! Is there a way to buy & gift games on PSN yet? FFS I'd make sure everyone I know owned that & Journey.

HardRojo

Might get GoW 3 and The Order, despite having finished GoW like 5 times on PS3 already. Its opening is still one of the best in the business, if not the best.

MikeyB

That's probably enough of a price cut to make me buy the gold edition of Steep. I really liked the free weekend and enjoyed the a la carte style.

Nice. I might finally pick up god of war 3. Division season pass seems like something worth getting too, but it never got its hooks too deep in me, and Destiny 2 is on the horizon.

I'll never understand the unbridled hate for The Order. It's beautiful and polished, and has some really unique weapons. Gunplay generally feels good. Sure, it's short [there is zero filler, either in extra fights or exposition]. Combat arenas aren't the best, but it's fun to try out the various weapons. The couple qte fights are bad, but minimal. The story is interesting, though does have a ending that might leave people looking for a happy ending a bit underwhelmed.

But even with it's negatives, the sheer polish on the game is amazing. People play far worse games regularly and they don't get a quarter of the hate.

And youi can't even get a good cup of coffee from Starbucks for $3.99.

Eblo

I just bought GoW III Remastered at full price mere hours before this sale happened. I feel so defeated.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I was thinking about picking up an AC game, since I don't own any of them.
Is the triple pack worth it? How the three games perform on the regular PS4?

I paid $10 for The Order and I had a decent time with it. Good shooting and it looks fantastic. It is all just bogged down by odd design choices all over. For $4, I recommend it.

rhandino

Banned

Black Flag: It plays and looks like a dream.

Unity: Still a bit rought but after all the patches its MUCH better than at launch.

Syndicate: Runs MUCH better than Unity but does not look as good in some aspects (less interiors, less crowds, etc...)

It's worth it for Black Flag and Syndicate alone tbh

Unity is cool if you stick to the main story and do some of the optional content and digital tourism (Paris is just so damn gorgeous to see and explore)

v3numb

How is Steep? I used to love snowboarding games back in the day but then they just kinda stopped getting made. Thought this looked interesting, but the reviews were a bit meh, and Ubisoft always makes me skeptical.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Black Flag: It plays and looks like a dream.

Unity: Still a bit rought but after all the patches its MUCH better than at launch.

Syndicate: Runs MUCH better than Unity but does not look as good in some aspects (less interiors, less crowds, etc...)

It's worth it for Black Flag and Syndicate alone tbh

Unity is cool if you stick to the main story and do some of the optional content and digital tourism (Paris is just so damn gorgeous to see and explore)

I'm sold. Thanks!

EulaCapra

What's the verdict on Hohokum? It's bundled with Sound Shapes for $5.

And am I to understand that Fat Princess is NOT on PS4 but Fat Princess Adventures is? Adventures doesn't play like the original, right?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Well worth it. All three games perform fine on an old PS4, I platinum-ed both AC4 and Unity and put a chunk into Syndicate. You are getting three MASSIVE games for a really solid price.

AC4 probably will appeal the most as the protagonist is a fun roguish pirate and exploring the Caribbean can be a real treat.

Unity gets a lot of flak, but I played it to completion long after the patches and never really ran into much issue on my old PS4. Looks absurdly gorgeous, but the story and characters are completely forgettable and play little to no role in the overarching franchise plot. I really loved the new gameplay mechanics though. Harkens back to classic AC with some modernizations. Not enough credit is given to those improvements.

Syndicate is alright. Got kind of fatigued of the gang warefare aspect so I put it down. A fun little victorian era plot of rebel uprising. The villains are usually comically evil in AC games, but this one is just TOO absurd in how treacherous and cartoonish they are. I really hope they dial it back in the next game. Plays nicely and London can be enjoyable to run about.

BasilZero

Actually on second thought I guess I will avoid psasbr cause dem dlc packs...

Getting the order for sure, maybe now I will get a platinum 😂

GunBR

AC IV has some big improvements in comparison with the 360 version?

And there's any reason to NOT buy The Order for that price?

nortonff

AC IV has some big improvements in comparison with the 360 version?

And there's any reason to NOT buy The Order for that price?

The Order graphics and photomode alone are worth 4 bucks.

What's the verdict on Hohokum? It's bundled with Sound Shapes for $5.

And am I to understand that Fat Princess is NOT on PS4 but Fat Princess Adventures is? Adventures doesn't play like the original, right?

Hohokum was a really pleasant experience. The soundtrack and visuals are phenomenal. $5 is a really good price especially bundled with another game.

Is Ubisoft in some kind of trouble? Feels like I see The Division and the ACs on sale every other week.

They're on sale often, but the prices aren't that great. Black Flag and Watchdogs should easily be under $10 by now.
They don't even have PS+ discounts.

Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta are $3.74 each

Origins Collection, which contains both games, remastered, is $2.49

Am I missing something here? Lol

Flower and Hohokum worth it?
I loved Hohokum's soundtrack and art but found the actual game incredibly boring,couldn't get past like the 2nd level even though I tried multiple times. Haven't played Flower.
GoW III only.
Shame, the input lag makes it impossible to play the others through ps now for me and I don't have a ps3 and my ps2 is broken. Guess I'll never play the series.

MikeyB

How is Steep? I used to love snowboarding games back in the day but then they just kinda stopped getting made. Thought this looked interesting, but the reviews were a bit meh, and Ubisoft always makes me skeptical.

I only played the free weekend, but here are my impressions:

1. It is a good game. It is well made, there are a variety of activities, interesting terrain, incentive to explore, and interesting online interaction.

2. It is less colourful and arcadey than classic SSX. Don't expect ridiculous air with never ending physics-busting string of tricks. Accordingly, the trick system is more limited but still fun.

3. It is more colourful than the gritty 2013(?) SSX. No sections where it is you vs nature and you fall into a chasm as an avalanche with bears surfing it comes crashing behind you in the dead of night.

4. It is great for chilling. There is no real need to do anything in particular at any given time.

5. But it can be an adrenaline boost if you want one. Choose a challemging race and away you go.

6. The riders speak in dudebro. There must be an option to silence them that I didn't find.

7. As a skier who grew up on the west coast of Canada, but now lives on the wrong side of the prairies, the scenery is good enough to make me homesick, and some of the lines feel relatively authentic. That said, I am disappointed that there isn't a wider variety of snow types.

How many times do you guys look at these sales and were looking at a game, only to realize you already own it? I think that's a weekly occurrence for me at this point.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Does anyone have an opinion on Sound shapes?

Considering purchasing the ultimate bundle.

Also, is anyone else unable to do so?
I check the page for the bundle, but there is no purchase icon.

The price is finally right for The Order. Buy it, friends.
Watch them put The Order on PS+ in the next month or two.
Now that Knack is probably being saved to go free on PS+ just ahead of its anticipated sequel, I can see this happening. What a world we would be living in if The Order went free on PS+ before Knack.

Top Bottom