• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Nyberg on gamergate's continuing campaign of harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many of us, gamergate is a distant memory; a flaming shitstain whose attention we were lucky enough to avoid. But while gamer gate hasn't appeared on the news much lately, that doesn't mean the hate has stopped or even slowed down.

Sarah Nyberg, gamergate's latest target, outlines her experience:

They dug up and distributed old, private photos of me before I transitioned, pictures of my family members that passed away, pictures of my friends and associates — the kind of stuff you’re not cognizant about if you don’t realize you’ll be targeted by a hate group ten years down the road. Many of my loved ones received threats as a result of this, sometimes involving their home addresses. They hacked into sites I own, emailed advertisers attempting to get them to pull out. Hundreds of them chanted my deadname — a source of professional and physical danger for trans people — and sent me and all my friends pre-transition pictures, telling us I’d “never be a woman.” They did everything they could to utilize the information they gleaned from my stalkers in an attempt to destroy my life.

That all would be traumatizing enough, but these campaigns are structured so the damage is permanent — all of that information is compiled on sites, wikis, defamatory tabloid style blogs, and Youtube videos. The message is clear: this is forever. It’s never going away. All of this is structured in a way to drum up additional support for their harassment campaigns, and sign up new recruits to join them in their attempt to terrorize you into silence.

https://medium.com/@srhbutts/i-m-sarah-nyberg-and-i-was-a-teenage-edgelord-b8a460b27e10

Horrifying. What did this person "do" (not like it's their fault) to be targeted? Are they outspoken about social issues within the gaming community, or is it simply due to their gender transition?

Ugh, I honestly can't imagine going through what these women go through. Doubly so when they report this stuff to authorities and they just brush it aside as "internet fun" or don't view it as a serious crime because it's not physical. Unfortunately by this time tomorrow this thread will be full of fools spouting off about "both sides" and other nonsense.

Gamergaters are a bunch of fuck scums with mommy issues.

Azih

Google her name and the whole first page is nothing but vile GG hate. Disgusting doesn't begin to cover this.

Ugh, I honestly can't imagine going through what these women go through. Doubly so when they report this stuff to authorities and they just brush it aside as "internet fun" or don't view it as a serious crime because it's not physical. Unfortunately by this time tomorrow this thread will be full of fools spouting off about "both sides" and other nonsense.

Gamergaters are a bunch of fuck scums with mommy issues.
Which is why we need to go after them more agressively than ever.

Call our politicians. Bring this up to our presidential candidates. Report their personal info to the cops. We need to establish this as cyberterrorism. Pressure Google, Facebook and Twitter. Out any Gater and report their status to their families, their bosses, their teachers. File lawsuits if we can, especially against Breitbart, 8chan, etc.

Horrifying. What did this person "do" (not like it's their fault) to be targeted? Are they outspoken about social issues within the gaming community, or is it simply due to their gender transition?

To try and be objective and unbiased:

She is accused of being a self-proclaimed pedophile because of many, many decade old irc logs on her site, ffshrine, saying very shocking and disturbing things in regards to underage children and pretreens. Those were a long time ago, and no doubt she has changed, but she talks about her cousin, in said logs ,who was a child at the time in very disturbing ways.

Maybe it's just being shocking for the sake of being shocking, maybe it's not. I think it's horrible that people are attacking her in illegal means, though it would probably be best to not firmly pledge defense or offense until further verified information is released.

Vlitra

Banned
The delusion these gamers live in is frightening. I just wish the could focus their energy of something better.

Basically she's guilty of the 'crime' of criticising gamergate. Added guilt for also being a woman.

That's so sad, though not unexpected . I think this part of the article sums it all up:

...their timelines not rife with actual concern for the allegedly affected parties, but for a sick mob justice on ideological opponents...

"Ideological opponents" is all that people see in these discussions. It's very Eric Hoffer -- True Believer. You can see these groups going down a very well-known path of ideological alignment, and if anyone stands in their way...well...they're not really people after all, are they? They're just opponents standing against the truth.

Eolz

She is accused of being a self-proclaimed pedophile because of many, many decade old irc logs on her site, ffshrine, saying very shocking and disturbing things in regards to underage children and pretreens. Those were a long time ago, and no doubt she has changed, but she talks about her cousin, in said logs ,who was a child at the time in very disturbing ways.

Maybe it's just being shocking for the sake of being shocking, maybe it's not. I think it's horrible that people are attacking her in illegal means, though it would probably be best to not firmly pledge defense or offense until further verified information is released.

Of course last paragraph is key, but after reading some of those old posts (some more recent than a decade), I really don't think she deserves a thread. Some truly disgusting stuff.
No side is better there.

oh give me a break. this is a transparent attempt by gamergate to smear an outspoken opponent. don't get suckered in by the bullshit.

cerulily

I Just want to say. I've never said anything THIS bad, but i have said some BAD stuff for the sake of saying it in my distant past. 10 years is a LONG time in a 20-something's life and it is nowhere near indicative of the person they are today to analyze who they were a decade ago.

If anyone is defending her, they're clearly defending her for the person she demonstrates that she is NOW. so i don't see what the need for "caution" is.

If those statements became true allegations by someone, that in itself can be discussed, but the entire justice system hinges on the idea that people change and do not necessarily stay the same as the person who committed a crime.

Of course last paragraph is key, but after reading some of those old posts (some more recent than a decade), I really don't think she deserves a thread. Some truly disgusting stuff.
No side is better there.

indeed. Even though she is a critic of gamergate, and many people who are in gamergate are there solely to harass, This particular issue does not have anything to do with gamergate, and people who harass are harassing for the sake of harassment.

Spinifex

It sounds as if her worst crime is once being part of the 4chan collective that exist to one-up each other - Ironic given the nature of her current harassers.

BTA

It's worth noting that some of the old IRC log quotes they throw around were her quoting/mocking a livejournal; I know that much. Judging by what she says here I'm guessing there might be some things that weren't quotes, but that's the case for some of it at least.

In any case, even with my current feelings towards how people in general are handling GG on Twitter, she's always been pretty good about that and they've always specifically gone above the norm in how badly they've treated her: constant deadnaming and slander in response to literally anything she says. It's the worst of GG on display, constantly.

indeed. Even though she is a critic of gamergate, and many people who are in gamergate are there solely to harass, This particular issue does not have anything to do with gamergate, and people who harass are harassing for the sake of harassment.

So the issue of a person being specificaly targeted because she is a gamergate critic does not have anything to do with gamergate? Good god, man. Do you even think before you post?

And are you seriously calling for neutrality here? Gamergate is not new. The movement, its ideology, its methods and its dubious relationship to the truth are all known entities.

Primus

So are people just Googling her name and not reading the actual article? 'cause that's what it looks like.

My escape from the pain of that life was the internet; trolling, stoking outrage, and defending the indefensible in an attempt to cause drama. Being hated online was an escape, and an excuse to avoid the reality and pain of life. Where I felt anger at the world, at myself, at those around me, I could be the thing I thought was deserving of that hatred, with relative anonymity freeing me from the boundaries of societal expectation. I could be the bad guy, if not in fact, than in legend. The taboo became a suit of armor; each day, I would be more shocking, more edgy, than the last. Defense of racism, sexual deviancy, murder, and more, all vented between discussions of video games and websites, and thankfully — though not regrettably — contained to those virtual walls. Victimless, but only as far as we could tell in the moment; you can never be sure, when being ironically edgy, who may be legitimately goaded into horrible acts. It’s why we talk about punching up, not down; it’s why intent is not magic. It’s why I don’t tell rape jokes anymore. It is what I regret most from those days.

Brakke

Banned
This part was so rough to read:

At the time, my life was dark in a way I cannot even begin to convey. Good people can end up in bad places when their demons come out to play; I lived in what was functionally a drug house, due to a combination of my own mental health issues and an urge to look after both my mom and my brother. My possessions and money (and in one case, my car) were routinely stolen. I endured years of emotional manipulation. My medications disappeared. The whole time, I was repeatedly told I must be crazy until I was convinced of it. I lost track of how many times people had overdosed in my house. Calling ambulances and police were regular occurrences.

Within five years, both my mom and my brother had passed away. Both times, I found their bodies.

Jintor

No side is better there.

imagine your random internet chatlogs from the age of 10 - 20 - 25 - whatever being dug up and flung around. Imagine your internet history. People are fucking weird as shit online sometimes. if it doesn't cause actual harm than who gives two fucks

Eolz

So the issue of a person being specificaly targeted because she is a gamergate critic does not have anything to do with gamergate? Good god, man. Do you even think before you post?

And are you seriously calling for neutrality here? Gamergate is not new. The movement, its ideology, its methods and its dubious relationship to the truth are all known entities.

From what I've seen, this escalated because she tried to shut down Encyclopedia Dramatica (where she was infamous way before Gamergate existed).
And yes, as bad as it can be, this is actually quite a valid archive of the worst of the web (mocking both her and gamergate).

Edit:
imagine your random internet chatlogs from the age of 10 - 20 - 25 - whatever being dug up and flung around. Imagine your internet history. People are fucking weird as shit online sometimes. if it doesn't cause actual harm than who gives two fucks

Oh I can completely agree that you can say some stupid shit when you're a teen or younger.
After that however, you're still legally responsible. Showing more than pedophilia tendencies isn't "lol so random weird shit".

Now imagine her cousin fell on those descriptions she made. Don't you think this would cause harm?

I don't mind "pledging defense" toward someone who is being treated this way. The accusations of pedophelia do not justify this person's treatment. I don't believe in a system where people can dismantle someone else's life simply because they believe that they committed a crime. It's why we have courts and shit. Pretty basic stuff but on the internet I guess anything goes.

Even if the accusations are true, that does not justify them being treated this way. People taking truth and justice into their own hands is a terrifying prospect of our modern internet communities. GGers aren't the only ones who do it, but it's not a good way to approach things.

oh give me a break. this is a transparent attempt by gamergate to smear an outspoken opponent. don't get suckered in by the bullshit.

Don't think of things like that. I think that the (albeit small) good parts of gamergate and the good parts of anti-gamergate want the same things for the most part, but they fight each other because of poor social skills and The large amount of people attacking and harassing each other makes the opposing side look like they're pure evil. Just war for the sake of war.

Besides, only attacking the other side will make them attack you back. I'm neutral, and I don't attack people, but a lurker here may see yours or my posts and attack us. Propagating the stereotypes that gamergaters are all fat straight male neckbeards, and likewise, gamergaters propagating that all gamergate critics are radical third-wave feminists tends to cause quite a bit of conflict. We're all humans here, not scum.

But clearly I'm not wanted here. You realize you're harassing me? It's not vulgar, but you're pretending my opinion has no merit whatsoever. You don't need to become what you hate. It's not a good way to do things.

I'll say no more. One sided discussions tend to end up with bannings, and I don't want to offend anyone anymore than I already have. Please forgive me from the bottom of my heart.

Edit: It may come across that I'm attacking you or that I'm attacking the person I quoted, but I'm just generalizing. Sorry again, you don't have to forgive me. It is a bit coarse.

Don't think of things like that. I think that the (albeit small) good parts of gamergate and the good parts of anti-gamergate want the same things for the most part, but they fight each other because of poor social skills and The large amount of people attacking and harassing each other makes the opposing side look like they're pure evil. Just war for the sake of war.

Besides, only attacking the other side will make them attack you back. I'm neutral, and I don't attack people, but a lurker here may see yours or my posts and attack us. Propagating the stereotypes that gamergaters are all fat straight male neckbeards, and likewise, gamergaters propagating that all gamergate critics are radical third-wave feminists tends to cause quite a bit of conflict. We're all humans here, not scum.

But clearly I'm not wanted here. You realize you're harassing me? It's not vulgar, but you're pretending my opinion has no merit whatsoever. You don't need to become what you hate. It's not a good way to do things.

I'll say no more. One sided discussions tend to end up with bannings, and I don't want to offend anyone anymore than I already have. Please forgive me from the bottom of my heart.

"I'm gonna post a bunch of bullshit and then act like the innocent, injured party when I get called out on it!"

I have no words. Wow...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't think of things like that. I think that the (albeit small) good parts of gamergate
Which would be what, exactly? It has been a harassment campaign since day 1.
and the good parts of anti-gamergate want the same things for the most part,
What? No. GG wants to harass feminists and "SJWs", and those not in GG want them to stop doing that. It's really that simple.

But clearly I'm not wanted here. You realize you're harassing me?
LOL, are you fucking serious?

I'm not commenting on the veracity of her predilection for the underage, but fairly sure no decent person ever claimed an affinity for, or flat-out stated loving 6 year olds (which she is purported to have done) is okay. Saying the harassment is over the line is fine and reasonable - defending her alleged conduct is not.

Corpekata

Banned
Saying an opinion is stupid is harassment now? Damn guess I need to apologize to all the Heavy Rain fans out there for harassing them.

Krabboss

I think Sarah put anti-GG people in a compromising position by becoming a voice for the movement. Everybody feels compelled to defend her because she is going through the same thing every other target of GG has gone through, but in doing so it appears as if they're accepting of the things she said 10 years ago. Obviously they're not, and I'm sure most "SJWs" have a history of saying vile things in their youth, but it certainly has given the GG crowd something to play with for the weeks ahead.

Which would be what, exactly? It has been a harassment campaign since day 1.

What? No. GG wants to harass feminists and "SJWs", and those not in GG want them to stop doing that. It's really that simple.

LOL, are you fucking serious?

That's why I'm not a gamergater. I like what they "claim" to support, but detest what they actually do.

I also consider myself a feminist (albeit a 2nd wave more than a 3rd wave).

But yes, it was a harassment campaign from day one, I cannot deny that.

Azih

Being called out for saying people should be NEUTRAL in the case of a person being harassed is not harassment baggagelizard. You are not being harassed. You are being called out for making a horrible statement.

I think Sarah put anti-GG people in a compromising position by becoming a voice for the movement. Everybody feels compelled to defend her because she is going through the same thing every other target of GG has gone through, but in doing so it appears as if they're accepting of the things she said 10 years ago. Obviously they're not, and I'm sure most "SJWs" have a history of saying vile things in their youth, but it certainly has given the GG crowd something to play with for the weeks ahead.

I understand where you're coming from, but GG was always going to find if not fabricate some reason to 'prove' their targets are the real monsters. I still remember when they tried to frame Randi Harper's gg auto blocker as censorship and harassment.

That's why I'm not a gamergater. I like what they "claim" to support, but detest what they actually do.

I also consider myself a feminist (albeit a 2nd wave more than a 3rd wave).

But yes, it was a harassment campaign from day one, I cannot deny that.

giphy.gif

JDSN

Banned
Oh, seems that reports of a post-GG world might have been premature.

Edit: I see there are some expendable accounts left.

Sort of how I feel? I barely know this Sarah Nyberg beyond seeing her come up a lot in GG discussion, so while I don't have any personal history with them the stuff about their cousin would personally make me keep away.

I mean, I know it's Brietbart/Milo of all people coming out with this story, they defended 8chan less than a year ago having a 'pedophile help' sub-board hosting child porn to the point where they targeted the people who blew the whistle on it so no doubt this isn't remotely coming from a place of genuine concern, but is there any compelling evidence against the claims so far?

Being called out for saying people should be NEUTRAL in the case of a person being harassed is not harassment baggagelizard. You are not being harassed. You are being called out for making a horrible statement.

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry. To help me learn from my mistakes, could you please lay out all that I did wrong in a detailed manner. I may be so far gone that I don't even realize when exactly I messed up.. :(

Zomba13

"Hey guys I'm just asking questions. Gamergate isn't all bad. They are just as bad as Anti-GG and those SJWs and feminists. I agree with what they say they stand for. What? No I'm not GG. They were bad from the start. Stop harassing me, you're just as bad as anti-GG."

Hackworth

I understand where you're coming from, but GG was always going to find if not fabricate some reason to 'prove' their targets are the real monsters. I still remember when they tried to frame Randi Harper's gg auto blocker as censorship and harassment.
Didn't they also try to smear Anita Sarkeesian as an arms dealer or was that one of their anti-Zoe Quinn ops?

Also, fuck Breitbart.

"Hey guys I'm just asking questions. Gamergate isn't all bad. They are just as bad as Anti-GG and those SJWs and feminists. I agree with what they say they stand for. What? No I'm not GG. They were bad from the start. Stop harassing me, you're just as bad as anti-GG."

Indeed, my friend, indeed. I am a flawed human being. Flawed beyond recognition. A giant stream of Lies.

Astarte

Wasn't this the person who ran that one Final Fantasy fan website or whatever and started saying those fucking terrible pedophile statements towards neighbors' kids and whatnot? I don't give a fuck about GG, but holy shit those comments were VILE.

Azih

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry. To help me learn from my mistakes, could you please lay out all that I did wrong in a detailed manner. I may be so far gone that I don't even realize when exactly I messed up.. :(
It's been stated.

1. You urged people to be neutral in the case of a person being harassed. That's indefensible.

2. In fact you are doing exactly what the harassers are doing by spreading their accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom