Sargon of Akkad's Ostracism & The Great Online Schism

Jul 12, 2004
Interesting video @Helios

We'll see whether Patreon will survive. This would be the first major social-media-related company to crumble due to backlash over freedom of speech.
What are you talking about? Patreon’s subscriber base has increased over the last few months. They are actually doing better now than they were six months ago.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
What are you talking about? Patreon’s subscriber base has increased over the last few months. They are actually doing better now than they were six months ago.
And looking to alternate markets and suddenly looking at increasing their cut from creators, due to circumstances.

The woke don't pay, they tend to be broke, get woke go broke

Last edited:

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
How screwed up if your business model if it implodes under its own success? 10% of Patreon employees are dedicated to their trust and safety team, which is insane. A percentage that can only increase as Patreon grows and more employees are needed to manually monitor and police its users. It seems to me like Patreon is having a massive problem with administrative overhead. Hence why they are seeking to increase their 10% commission share.

njr

Jan 26, 2009

Sargon responded to Jack's latest AMA. I understand why Jack is saying their current business model is not sustainable. Their crunchbase profile shows they took in over $100M total in investor funding. Those investors want it to be a billion dollar company, but I don't know if their yearly earnings can support that. The company is practically a middle man that takes a tiered subscription list and handles payments across vendors. Late payments don't sound like they've got things worked out. Patreon only takes 5% right now (the other 5% on transactions), so if they're saying this is generous, it's most likely going to rise very soon.

An ideal alternative I would like to see is an open source web app that only handles the tiered subscription list for a content creator, and it would be up to the content creator themselves to set up their own shop with support for all possible payment gateways. There wouldn't be a user facing site, it would be up to the content creator to hook into the tiered lists to send out campaigns themselves.

Oct 26, 2018
How screwed up if your business model if it implodes under its own success? 10% of Patreon employees are dedicated to their trust and safety team, which is insane. A percentage that can only increase as Patreon grows and more employees are needed to manually monitor and police its users. It seems to me like Patreon is having a massive problem with administrative overhead. Hence why they are seeking to increase their 10% commission share.
Social media creates overly emotional people who think they are the world's safety police. Looks like Patreon's finances are crumbling, but that's what happens with social sites.

On one hand, they want as many users as possible, but then need to curate the site to avoid bad press. Whereas most other companies out there try to release good products right off the bat as the product comes solely from within.

It's too bad so many people follow users screaming. If some people want to complain, good for them. But some reason social media has become this magnetized platform where some people join in and believe the rhetoric. And then the marketing team some reason caves in to the 20 people complaining, when there might be a million users who don't care.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I get that Patreon got a lot of VC money and are now under pressure to grow, but they're delusional if they think 10% is generous. They're just a middleman, shuffling money, and people have gotten rich doing that with way smaller margins. Worse, the communities funding Patreon tend to exist somewhere else on the web. Might not be true for all of them, but to me it seems easier to change funding platform than say go from Youtube to Vimeo or something. If they start taking a bigger cut, someone will chew them up by charging less.

Jun 20, 2018
I dont even understand how they can have issues they are a literal middlemen doing nothing but cashing in, they dont produce anything they just hand the money from one hand to the other while taking a cut from it.
How the fuck do you fuck that up?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
I dont even understand how they can have issues they are a literal middlemen doing nothing but cashing in, they dont produce anything they just hand the money from one hand to the other while taking a cut from it.
How the fuck do you fuck that up?
By overstepping their own term of service.

Last edited: