• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAS Scandinavian advert

Cucked SoyBoy

Dec 18, 2018
Another attempt by the regressive left claiming white people have no culture.

This is Globalist propaganda to convince Scandinavians that they have no right to their native lands. Thus they have no right to protest or push back, when millions of foreign savages are flooded into their lands.

After all, an African who just showed up last month for the welfare dollars is just as Norwegian as a white man descended from Ragnar Lothbrok. Wake up now, or lose everything Scandis.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
i was reading some of the tweets and happened to run into the following tweet from jamie lannister. I thought to myself i often see angry white libs getting offended for the sake of minorities, so its hypocritical to do the same. personally i really disdain these kind of ads because its so blatant and intellectually bankrupt.

Anyways Nikolaj Coster Waldau liked the ad and wasn't in some dismissive manner, he's an actual scandinavian born in Denmark.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
scandinavian born in Denmark
This is one of the hilarious parts of the ad. They say one of the things they list is not Scandinavian because it comes from the Dutch, even though the Dutch/Denmark gets brought into what it is to be Scandinavian. Historically, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden (with early settled isles) are in the Scandinavian realm.

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
They advocate for equality but their actions show they want to destroy cultures.
Utter cultural genocide, not even to just whites but they seem to be the biggest targets.
Bullshit schemes such as this Ad deserve to be pushed back on hard, before it's too late to do anything about it.

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
i was reading some of the tweets and happened to run into the following tweet from jamie lannister. I thought to myself i often see angry white libs getting offended for the sake of minorities, so its hypocritical to do the same. personally i really disdain these kind of ads because its so blatant and intellectually bankrupt.

Anyways Nikolaj Coster Waldau liked the ad and wasn't in some dismissive manner, he's an actual scandinavian born in Denmark.

As someone who's Scandinavian and unlike, Waldau, an educated teacher and historian, I'm somewhat insulted. Not only because it's deceptive and dishonest, but also because we otherwise wouldn't condone such messaging about other cultures.
Unlike some here I'm more skeptical about trying to attribute too much intent in the commercial's messaging. As I see it, they probably had this great idea about how we've been traveling around and shared culture. Then some group of writers that were asked to flesh it out just fucked over the concept. Then everyone else never bothered to check what they were doing. And the editor was just "IDGAF".
Just a big failure of communication. Though I don't doubt that maybe some of the writers might've tried to sneak in some agenda by selectively choosing to add certain things. On the other hand, part of me suspect that blaming the writers seem a bit easy, and I cynically almost believe it was done for attention through outrage.

One thing that needs to be noted is that Norwegian nationalism isn't some right-wing thing. It can equally happen on both sides of the aisle. Heck, often it manifests in different aspects in different parties and in case of politicians they might often use nationalism as it suits their cause. Most Norwegians are partaking in traditions that might be everything from 30 to over 1000 years old, being very obsessed about what's good about Norway and wanting to show the outside world it. People are very obsessed about our christian heritage, thus even though most of us probably aren't christians, we still tend to get baptized, confirmed and married in the church. Because of our sense of tradition. We love everything we feel is typical Norwegian. Whether it's our "bunad"/folk costumes, which have regional variants, being based on both military impulses, general european impulses at the time and a longer tradition of folk costumes going way back, amongst our peasant population. Bunads are worn by Norwegians with pride and as a sense of identity. We also have a great sense of pride in how we speak, because your dialect shows where you came from and it can vary a lot between parts of the country. Being a rather long country, with mountains and small population, dialects were able to develop to be very different and to be influenced by different impulses due to geography.

Picture's relevance: Depending on where you are from in the country you might say one of these to say the english "I". There are 4 more not in the picture, like "ek" which is more in line with old norse. In writing we'll either use the bokmål writing system "Jeg" or in the nynorsk writing system "Eg". I say "Jæi", my wife says "Æ".

We have very specific traditions that we all participate in and which are holy to us. Whether it's our ways of celebrating Christmas, which are sorta similar, but also different in so many ways in the various Scandinavian countries. Heck, even within Norway the traditions of Christmas foods have big regional variations. Everything from lutefisk (white fish pickled in lye), ribbe (pork belly), pinnekjøtt (cured and dried rib of lamb), juletorsk (Christmas cod), turkey (mostly a german impulse from what I know) to juleskinke (Christmas ham). We sing and dance around the Christmas tree. We get 2 visits from Julenissen (Santa Claus). Heck, a lot of Norwegians go to Church on Christmas Eve, even though they're not religious. We love skiing and going for hikes. Unlike Denmark we have a lot of mountains. In fact, our landscape must've been pretty harsh for a large part of our ancestors, once the agrarian society was the norm, due to a lot of mountains, hills and rocky foundations. We hate talking to people publically, unless we're drunk or know you. We hate sitting next to someone on the bus. Our sense of personal space is huge. We also can often be reserved and stoic. I found this joke on the internet as a description of how we generally are: "You Know You're Norwegian When you assume that a stranger on the street who smiles at or greets you is: a) drunk. b) insane. c) an American. d) All of the above." Then again, if we meet strangers out in nature, we'll act like we're socially extroverted and greet everyone and speak to you and it'll be completely normal.

We are obsessed about where we come from. A lot of people love to do genealogical research to find out where their ancestors came from. Mostly from Scandinavia or the Nordic countries for most part, until you can't trace it further back and need genetical research to find anything further. We are proud of everything we feel Norway does better than others, we are proud whenever we get acknowledged by any other nation. If you see a YouTube video about Norway, it'll be filled with "Er det noen norske her eller?" (Are there any Norwegians her or what?)

As a state we're plagued by sense of grandeur (or the desire for that grandeur) and at the same time shame of our smallness. We've had ambitious attempts as saviors, trying to be as big an international actor as we can. We've done a lot of charity with rather dubious results as research has shown, though there is some debate there.
We're also young as a nation state. We were in a personal union with Denmark and Sweden from 1397 to 1523. Then a personal union with Denmark until 1660 when it became an integrated union with less influence due to the absolutist monarchy. Thankfully, due to the Napoleonic War, smart political play, European influences of democracy and sense of nationality and nationalism, we managed to create a constitution in 1814. Though we were ceded over to a looser personal union with Sweden instead as result of the Treaty of Kiel, as land lost by Denmark to Sweden, due to Napoleon's loss. But we managed to keep our liberal constitution and thanks to a big rediscovery of our national identity and our history and also founding a lot of new traditions as well, due to this new democratic, enlightenment-driven and nationalistic spirit we managed to after about 90 years to dissolve the union and be freed from Sweden in 1905. We are obsessed about attention. That's why we ridiculously gave Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. We always want to be a part of the attention, be a part of the clique.

Of course, it's not all grandeur either. Norway has two native peoples (though honestly, we all have about the same similar ancestry from the original peoples that immigrated to what's now Norway from the east and the south. The big difference is that the Sámi also have paternal Y-DNA that comes from a later immigration from the east, with a lot of cultural influences as well). Norwegians and the Sámi people (a semi-nomadic people living mostly in Northern Norway, in the Arctics) . The Sámi people were for a long time left for themselves and only taxed, but due to the strong national impulses of the 19th century (and the enlightenment, modernization and civilization process of the 18th and 19th century) it lead to a lot of injustices towards them. The Sámi had already had their Nature religion destroyed in the 16/17th century as part of the forced christianization, due to the danish king, but also priests doing a lot of missionary missions there. Oh and also persecuted (mostly the men) during the witch trials. During the 18th century the conflict of language and national unity became a very hot topic, driven by sense of discovering what's Norwegian, to separate us from the danish. A lot of failed attempts at bringing education (whether by teaching them Norwegian or by teaching them in their own language) to the Sámi lead to the ultimate decision around 1850, whereupon the plan was ultimately to teach them Norwegian, as a broader plan to assimilate them (partially also driven by a fear of allegiance and border security in the northern regions. Russophobia/fear of Russia and finnophobia/fear of the Finns being what drove this defensive policy). This lead to a lot of harsh things over time. I'd say the worst periode wasn't during the 19th century, but rather during the first half of the 20th century. That was when the "Norwegianization" got more intensified and a lot of shaming of Sámi living, Sámi kids sent to dormitories, not being allowed to speak Sámi at school, weren't allowed to buy land if you couldn't speak Norwegian and a lot of nasty phrenology as well, as was common at that time.

That said, I thought the Gillette one was more egregious. This one at least seemingly has a good message if you cut out a big part of it that tries to get there by making ridiculous statements and turn off your brain to parts that should make you go "wait.... what?". Gillette was just a big misandry attempt, being insulting to both men and women.
While this is insulting, but so obviously dumb if you considering the internal discrepancy in the message. Of course there are "typical scandinavian" things, just like there are typical [insert region, nation, state] things. Of course there's things that are invented in Scandinavia and things that originated in Scandinavia as well. Which is why the commercial is ridiculous.

Though within Scandinavia there are many differences, as well as similarities, between the Scandinavian countries. So there's even further idiosyncrasies that separate us. There's also regional differences within each country.
Like if you want Norwegian's perception of what's typically Norwegian:

A lot of the things that people consider typical Norwegian aren't necessarily from Norway. Like the potato, which was imported from the Americas. It was initially reviewed as a bit tasteless, but boiled potatoes over time became the staple of Norwegian cuisine. But Norwegians don't consider geographical origin as to whether something is typical Norwegian, but rather treats the Norwegian identity as a living thing which is practiced. Often we are very homogenous and tend to follow the same cultural trends. Like how tacos are big in Norway (part of the cultural influences in the 80s and 90s with imports and globalization) and how we've in the last 20 years turned Taco Friday into a thing, so much that it's a big common thing amongst Norwegians.

Or American missionaries' view of Norway and our culture:

Or non-missionaries:

A sense of community and identity is a very real and important thing for peoples. Which is why unfortunate commercials like the SAS one just unnecessarily inflames people. Especially when it tries to play it off nonchalantly as some informational ad that's to be taken as fact, and not some statement trying to debate "is anything typical Norwegian?". Of course, while it's inflammatory, it should still be allowed and I cringe when people demand it be taken down. It's also sad when factions of different political groupings will suddenly just switch out their positions on things like this, once it suits them. (Some) right-wing people will be offended, (some) left-wing people will suddenly be "don't be so easily offended!", while it in any other case would be the opposite. The reason I said "some", is because the term "right-wing" and "left-wing" doesn't really work that well in regards to Norwegian politics. Often it'll be more a classist thing, with a lot of urban young people (possibly with a university education or from some arts degree from university college) vs someone with a trade school education or unemployed, perhaps from the periphery/rural areas or from low-income urban areas. This is of course just speaking in generalities, but it'll often be that kind of prevalence, which always makes me giggle at the irony.
People should really be able to have a debate on when it's "allowed" to lambast a message/work, especially coming from groups/companies, whereupon it'll not fall into the threshold of easily offended. Because at times people use it as a way to avoid debate and scrutiny.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
just now discovering this. holy shit peak clown world.

here is the end result of postmodern moral relativism: self denial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stilton Disco

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Yeah, I'm sure that makes people want to fly on your airline. What the fuck lol

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
To give an interesting perspective from a minority Norwegian and Høyre politican (conservative party), Mahmoud Farahmand, wrote this opinion piece on the debacle:

I'll translate it here:

Title: Norwegians who copy
Undertitle: It's entertaining to see how Norwegians apologize for own culture

Text:
I must honestly admit that the controversial SAS commercial is pretty good. It oozes of the kind of posturing that's currently riding [waves in] our socities.
What is Scandinavian? Nothing, according to SAS. Everything is stolen from others.

Let's try out the same idea with Pakistan. What is truly Pakistani? Nothing. The food is Indian, clothes are Persian, religion Arabic and the furniture European.
What is truly Iranian? Nothing. The religion is Arabic, the language is a mix of Arabic, Turkish and other languages, and the clothes are a mix of European, Greek and Indian. It was the Babylonians who built the buildings. Democracy and freedom of expression doesn't exist, so that we can avoid talking about. Equality of the sexes also isn't a subject.
What is truly Arabic? Absolutely nothing, except the camels, but those are probably from Egypt.

And like that one can continue. But we don't. Other cultures are unique and uniform and we teach our children about these cultures' peculiarities. We get culturally sensitive guidance councelors to the grade schools and we sponsor volunteer organizations, so that they can tell us that these cultures are fantastic and exotic, and has longer historical roots.

No one would have dared to say that muslims, hindus, buddhists, Iranians, Pakistani and Afghans have stolen their cultures, but some Norwegians are enthusiastic/eager in regards to point this out about their own culture. What we think is Norwegian, isn't, it's said.
The SAS commercial puts things in perspective and is in line with this zeitgeist, at least in Scandinavia.

As an immigrant to Norway and the West, I think that it's fascinating, almost bordering on entertaining, that one can't see that one's own culture also can be unique to others. Airline companies from other nations and other parts of the world probably wouldn't make a commercial like that.
Emirates or Pakistan International Airways would have never made a commercial about them not having a culture. Other countries actively play on that their culture is unique. It's after all cultures that separate us from each other, which give variation in how we live and how we act/behave.

It's cultures that are crucial for how we see and understand the world. It's the Scandinavian culture which facilitates the high degree of trust between citizens and the state, in the same way as cultures in the Middle East facilitate for closer bonds between family members.
To claim that Scandinavian culture doesn't exist is just as strange as it can be provocative. It's not the individual elements in the culture that makes up the culture, but the sum of its parts. All cultures are inspired by each other. That doesn't mean that you don't have an own culture.
You probably have to be in the PR industry to not understand this.
Despite SAS expressing a lack of belief in a Scandinvian culture existing, they do have some core values that appear really Scandinavian. But those are probably stolen from other companies.

M1chl

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2019
Czech Republic
This is one of the hilarious parts of the ad. They say one of the things they list is not Scandinavian because it comes from the Dutch, even though the Dutch/Denmark gets brought into what it is to be Scandinavian. Historically, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden (with early settled isles) are in the Scandinavian realm.
Finland is not part of Scandivia, it's just Norwegian country.

zombrex

Mar 8, 2018
Would be nice if this was an advertisement against the concept the cultural appropriation.
Somehow I feel the people that made this advertisement would also be the same ones screeching at others for appropriating culture.

To say nothing is truly Scandinavian is total nonsense. Culture is adopted, manipulated and iterated on to make new culture that is distinct and unique compared to its original origins.

Razvedka

Oct 20, 2018
It seems that the SAS Airlines hired the same people behind the Gillette advertisement campaign. SAS already deleted the advert from their youtube page as it gathered around 150 likes and thousands of dislikes. Its basically saying that there is no Scandinavian culture but everything is stolen from somewhere else.

What do you guys think? What is the point of this advert?

Edit: So the original is back on. Comments are disabled. 300 likes and 15000 dislikes.