• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo needs to release a limited edition, super-rare Iwata amiibo.

The reason I bring him is because, while he is PR and a face, he's got a similar background as a developer. He's also younger than a lot of other options.

He's not a developer. You're confusing the many Morimoto's at Nintendo.

Brofield

I used to laugh at this gif but now it's too sad :(

I wish it would happen in real life.

iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

I'm holding back tears while laughing.

Even if it is morbid, I don't want this GIF to ever be retired. Change the faces of Sony and MS if need be, but Iwata will always be the one to come back from the grave to drop the bomb.

SalvaPot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2wm5RxpHKA

I just realized how the Super Mario 64 credits theme reflects my feelings. Its nostalgic, sad. Its saying goodbye. How goodbyes are bittersweet. Bitter because you have to say so long to someone that was important in your life. Sweet because you have the memories to remember him by.

I never met him in person but I feel like his work is part of me, its amazing how a person so far away from me can be so important to our own values and feelings.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Another Miyamoto quote:
“We will upkeep the development approach that we built with Iwata, and we in the development team hope to keep working as one to build toward the future,” he said in a statement.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/post-arcade/he-created-a-whole-culture-nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-dead-at-55

This man has lost two of his closest friends over the last couple years. The man who gave him a chance, Yamamuchi, and the man who helped him shape Nintendo as it is today, Iwata. He has to be devastated.

:(

Ok, so here's something I started thinking about again tonight while pondering Iwata's passing. It was mid-late December 2005 and I was at work browsing IGN when I read a news story stating that Iwata was sending a thank you letter with an 8-bit SMB Coin as a digital gift to Animal Crossing Wild World owners but there was a deadline of course for redeeming the letter/gift over NWFC. The collector in me thought to myself, "How cool! A letter and digital gift from Iwata! I have to get my hands on that now before time runs out!" So the next day I bought a copy of Wild World, after getting my house set up I redeemed my letter from Iwata and my slick SMB coin as soon as I could. It was the first real letter in the game I received.

Even though obviously it wasn't literally from him to me personally, all I could think of was Satoru Iwata sent ME a letter and a gift thanking ME for buying a DS. How cool! Much later, every time I would save another memorable letter in my post office archive, I'd glance at the letter from Iwata and think, That's the thank you note Iwata sent me, such a cool gesture! Every time I passed the SMB coin in my house I'd think There's the little gift Iwata sent me, I'm never selling or trading that!

I'd been dragging my heals for a long time on getting into AC before I read the news blurb on the digital gift from Iwata. I ended up sinking several hundred hours into that game. Now that I look back on this little gesture, I think this is a great example which really goes to show what an impact Iwata had on Nintendo's loyal fans and the lengths he was willing to go to reach out to us and promote their games. If he hadn't gone to the trouble of sending that letter and gift to fans, who knows how much longer it would have taken me to play an AC title (never played AC on GC)? I never got rid of that letter and the coin, I saved both as you can see in the pictures below which I took tonight after opening up my old WW file. They're like a shining beacon of warm nostalgia inside the town hall of my now weed-plagued little village.

SegaShack

Mr Iwata has given me, my family, and friends so many fantastic memories over the last 15 years or so, in addition to the many games he made as part of HAL. Regardless of whether one agreed with his decision making, what is certain is that the man was dedicated to his ideas, and was always willing to push to introduce new concepts for gaming, despite what anyone would say.

In a world where many people are happy to go with the norm, Mr Iwata refused to give up on his ideals of unique experiences and family oriented gaming. To say Mr Iwata will be severely missed is an understatement. His contributions to the world of entertainment will never be forgotten. I feel that this quote from John F Kennedy is appropriate:

"Some men see things as they are and say why
I dream things that never were and say why not"

Rest In Peace Mr Iwata, and a heartfelt thank you for all the magic you created in your lifetime.

Empty

i want to cry

there will never be another ceo with his warmth and understanding of games. a huge breath of fresh air in his approach to everything.

Joey Ravn

Banned
What a shitty way to wake up on a Monday morning :(

You may question Iwata's decisions as President of NoA. But you can't question that his heart was in the right place. As Jim Sterling said, he wanted to make fun games for everyone. Whether he succeeded or not, that remains up to the players. But he tried, and you can see how hard he tried in each Nintendo Direct he hosted.

RIP, Mr. Iwata. The world is a bit worse today without you.

Ok, so here's something I started thinking about again tonight while pondering Iwata's passing. It was mid-late December 2005 and I was at work browsing IGN when I read a news story stating that Iwata was sending a thank you letter with an 8-bit SMB Coin as a digital gift to Animal Crossing Wild World owners but there was a deadline of course for redeeming the letter/gift over NWFC. The collector in me thought to myself, "How cool! A letter and digital gift from Iwata! I have to get my hands on that now before time runs out!" So the next day I bought a copy of Wild World, after getting my house set up I redeemed my letter from Iwata and my slick SMB coin as soon as I could. It was the first real letter in the game I received.

Even though obviously it wasn't literally from him to me personally, all I could think of was Satoru Iwata sent ME a letter and a gift thanking ME for buying a DS. How cool! Much later, every time I would save another memorable letter in my post office archive, I'd glance at the letter from Iwata and think, That's the thank you note Iwata sent me, such a cool gesture! Every time I passed the SMB coin in my house I'd think There's the little gift Iwata sent me, I'm never selling or trading that!

I'd been dragging my heals for a long time on getting into AC before I read the news blurb on the digital gift from Iwata. I ended up sinking several hundred hours into that game. Now that I look back on this little gesture, I think this is a great example which really goes to show what an impact Iwata had on Nintendo's loyal fans and the lengths he was willing to go to reach out to us and promote their games. If he hadn't gone to the trouble of sending that letter and gift to fans, who knows how much longer it would have taken me to play an AC title (never played AC on GC)? I never got rid of that letter and the coin, I saved both as you can see in the pictures below which I took tonight after opening up my old WW file. They're like a shining beacon of warm nostalgia inside the town hall of my now weed-plagued little village.

wow this makes me cry

Colombo

Holy crap I just read about it after having a terrible day and being totally unaware. Rest in Peace Iwata san. What a shock!!

DeathPeak

I wonder how all the people that kept saying, ."Iwata's gotta go," are feeling.

I hate the thought that among some of the last feedback he was getting before he died was resentment, anger, and disappointment towards him from so much of Nintendo's fanbase.

Either way, things will never be the same. He should have had another decade+ leading the company, with another couple of decades in retirement back in the trenches coding new and exciting games, just like he used to. Way too soon.

You know Iwata wouldn't have had it any other way. :)

Knowing he never had the chance to work on another title after assuming leadership duties is heartbreaking considering how much he loved coding. :(

Vena

Nintendo's path down Iwata's road is set, the NX is set and it will be his legacy (and the unification of their development arms will live on for a long, long time as a great boon to the company). They're not an American company, the decisions weren't one man's, and they'll honor his wishes. Most of the power was in the hands of like-minded individuals (since they bought back their stock from Yamauchi).

What they need, now, is some time to themselves to recover, regroup, and start anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom