• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
dedication_to_satoru_iwata_by_adamentsnow-d914p6b.jpg
http://adamentsnow.deviantart.com/art/Dedication-to-Satoru-Iwata-546094451

All these tributes and art are both sad and incredible at the same time.

I went to edit some information about Iwata into his Wiki entry and looked over the history to see if it was being vandalized.

Saw the history change "is" to "was"

:(

HUELEN10

Local memorial got a table, a beadsprite, and a lot of cards and thoughts, all which are being mailed to NOA.
And with all of the other memorials all over the world, Japan, Russia, the USA, there is no doubt that people everywhere loved him as a friend, and have gathered to these memorials to say goodbye one last time.

On my way to bed and my head is everywhere because of this news.
Someone I know on Facebook posted about this, and this is what I said at the time:

It's truly sad. Everyone who ever met him had said he was unlike any corporate president they've ever seen, a gentle, personable and infectiously positive person, like a teddy bear in a rich man's suit.
And everything he did showed how much he understood the nature of the business he was in, truly cared for making other people happy and loved every minute of it.

Made me very teary eyed reading this.. :(

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
This has really really effected me. More so then any other celebrity death. I am 32 years old and still carry a 3ds in my backpack. I was raised with Nintendo, it's in my DNA. I feel like someone ripped my heart out. While I am a "hardcore" gamer that plays everything I can honestly say I have more fun with Nintendo.

Goodbye Iwata

Cindro

Is anyone else currently having this bizarre long-form nightmare that one of the greatest humans in the history of our community's passion and hobby is no longer around? And that the company that embodies everything I hold dear about gaming will never be the same?

I keep on pinching myself to wake up but it's just. Not. Working.

Today has been rough, to say the least :( This is the worst form of surrealist feeling I've ever experienced.

prateeko

I moved and my Wii U erased a bunch of saves/games (I think I pulled the external SD card out and it tried to update something) and what little I had done in Earthbound was erased.

I shall grab my Super Famicom Wii adapter and play through Eartbound in tribute.

Also surprised by all the feels I have...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
he's already 62 and healthy as fuck, I can see him lasting many more years. Christopher Lee managed it, rocking out to death metal up until his mid nineties

Yeah, Miyamoto seems like he's the joy of life personified, he'll be fine for many years to come, he enjoys life too much to not squeeze out every last second I feel.

wheeplash

My last post before this one had me mocking Nintendo :(

I'm so sorry Mr. Iwata, I wish you could accept my sincere apologies from wherever you are..
My family has suffered many cancer-related losses so I know you are in a better place now Sir, may you rest in peace.

gamerMan

There was also the success of Splatoon. Try not to think of the negatives. I'm sure the love for Splatoon made him so happy

You can read what he says about E3, NX, and Splatoon here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/150626qa/02.html

We recognize that we have let down a number of the online viewers of this year’s E3, especially the avid Nintendo fans, because we did not show what they had expected. . . We are listening to people’s opinions and we will try to improve next year and beyond.

I was shocked when I heard bout his death. I knew he had health issues, but it looked like he was fine. When I read about his death on Reddit, I literally stopped playing GTA and just thought about all the Nintendo directs I watched, and the games I played that he worked on over the years. Nintendo directs won't be the same without him. It hit me pretty hard, and I still feel the sadness. Iwata did a awesome job at Nintendo, and he was a awesome person. I will never forget this gaming industry legend.

CJ1F0d4VAAA0xEY.jpg

CJ1ZqYSWcAAbVL2.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
what.jpg

Now she calls everyone a "kid", LMAO

I dunno, Nintendo did make me feel like a kid again at times. Lord knows the amount of time I got excited during the Nintendo direct and watching him bow with his hands out as if he's serving the video directly to you.

Iwata really came off as an honest and real person than a faceless nameless ceo.

Damn it I am starting to go off again. :(

Have there been any press releases about where he was when he passed? Was he at home? At the hospital? I know some posts have said that he was working up until his passing, so I'm just curious if this was a sudden thing? I've dealt with many losses throughout my life with family, and I just hope he wasn't suffering in the hospital for a long time. :(

Please understand
Words he took to stand
To infuse the Nintendo brand
For the games to be grand

Please understand his style
For the gamers to smile
Day and night creating files
A legend by miles

Please understand his award
A businessman on his card
Game developer in the end card
A true gamer in his heart

tauroxd

It's been posted before but it is the best obituary article. Love the anecdote of how he helped with the physics in Balloon Trip in Nintendo Land. Also interested to hear about Yamauchi's fondness for him and ability to see something special in him.

Which article? Do you have a link?

It's been posted before but it is the best obituary article. Love the anecdote of how he helped with the physics in Balloon Trip in Nintendo Land. Also interested to hear about Yamauchi's fondness for him and ability to see something special in him.

Too bad they have ads running before a tribute. Seems in poor taste

Is anyone else currently having this bizarre long-form nightmare that one of the greatest humans in the history of our community's passion and hobby is no longer around? And that the company that embodies everything I hold dear about gaming will never be the same?

I keep on pinching myself to wake up but it's just. Not. Working.

Today has been rough, to say the least :( This is the worst form of surrealist feeling I've ever experienced.

I have never been the type to really mourn the death of any famous actor or person before. But this is different, I genuinely feel like a part of me is gone, all for someone who I have never met and have only seen on videos. And yet, here I am fighting back tears at times. I think it profound how someone like this can impact so many people's lives in such a hands off way.

It's funny how news of a death makes you think about what you were doing just before it happened.

My last post before hearing the news was on another forum, but I was mentioning how the next few years will be among the most interesting in Nintendo's entire history as a video games company. All of the work he had done in the last couple of years would lay foundations for the company for many years to come. It's a transformative time and Nintendo won't be the same again.

And then I saw the news.

It's just... that isn't what I meant.

:(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
what horrible news to come to the gaming side to see..... :(

he was both directly and indirectly responsible for much of my gaming enjoyment in the 21st century. I don't even know how Nintendo is going to be the same. :(

Intense respect for the man. All he wanted to do was give gamers something new and different.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom