• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little tribute. Thank you for everything, Mr. Iwata.

CJ1vwZFWoAAyPjz.jpg:large

El Odio

Banned
In your opinion, what made Iwata special, unique, and ultimately, irreplaceable?
All these stories coming out about the little interactions people have had with him. Things like him changing his 3DS message based on the region he was in, the photo in the airport, personal messages via streetpass, all the things that have been posted and shared here. They show how much he cared about the people he'd interact with and that he truly was a human being, one who made it his purpose to make people smile and always have fun.

This news has really screwed me up over the past day or so. Iwata's passing is a great loss for the industry and humanity, and I can't help but feel guilty that I never really got a chance to start experiencing his works until about a year or so ago. Very sad to know that the last month of his life was spent dealing with the fallout of their E3 showing and unpleasable shareholders. At this point I guess I can really only hope that future generations will be graced with someone who can reach his heights.

Just out of curiosity and a necessity to refresh my memory, was it Iwata who made the decision to allow Monolithsoft the budget and time to make Xenoblade a complete single game instead of having to make it another trilogy like Xenosaga?

Dimmle

If you needed any more proof that Iwata was a guy who cared, notice how Kirby sits at an angle when he's seated on an incline in Kirby's Adventure.

mapet318

Banned
I don't see the issue if they happen to be Nintendo fans

I'm thinking (hoping) what he meant was that it's crazy how many people have been affected by this.When Yamauchi died, people mourned and reflected, but it was mostly from within the community and people weren't as stricken with grief. It's amazing to see non-gaming people/organizations/etc. express their condolences for a figure we held so highly. It just goes to show how much he affected people around the world, whether the average person knew it or not. As someone else put it, it's as if Mario himself died.

God damnit, just thinking about it is making me tear up.

Iwata showed up during the Robot Chicken E3, he didn't show up here at all. The muppet was an obvious stand-in. We even saw Reggie and Miyamoto even thought they had muppets.
I'm not saying his condition had nothing to do with why he didn't appear in person. That's a pretty natural assumption.

I'm saying that it's a bit of a reach to assume that their use of Muppets was entirely because they were afraid to show the real him. I don't think they'd go through the trouble just for that, especially when they had to excuse his absence anyway.

You know what would be great? If Nintendo released a Direct celebrating Iwata's life. It would be fitting that a format designed to put the spotlight on others would be used to shed light on the man who made it all possible to start with.

Out of curiosity did iwata cause a bigger impact to nintendo than miyamoto? Game wise who made most of nintendos mascots?

Debatable.

The DS and Wii are by far Nintendo's highest selling consoles, but in regards to marketshare and overall industry dominance, Nintendo's peak was during the NES era.

WillyFive

Out of curiosity did iwata cause a bigger impact to nintendo than miyamoto? Game wise who made most of nintendos mascots?

Mascots usually came from other people (like Miaymoto and Sakurai), Iwata programmed the games. As president, his Wii and DS were one of Nintendo's highest peaks in a long time.

Roto13

Miyamoto has been a huge force within Nintendo for a longer time than Iwata was, but Iwata eventually ended up with more power at the company, making the big decisions. However, Miyamoto was also often part of that decision-making process, especially when it came to things like hardware.

Richie

Iwata's strength wasn't in creating mascots, but rather, putting in the talent and wits so others would see their visions accomplished. Happened with Earthbound, with Pokémon, with Kirby, with Smash Brothers, with HAL Laboratory as a whole. The vision of many actually ending up realized in store shelves owes volumes to Iwata.

Anth0ny

I'm not sure anyone has had a bigger impact on video games as a medium than Miyamoto, let alone Nintendo. Iwata is definitely right up there, though.

Just finished at the smash tournament. Played as 4Iwata. Lost both my matches. My bff is playing as Please Understand and still doing well.

I'm not sure anyone has had a bigger impact on video games as a medium than Miyamoto, let alone Nintendo. Iwata is definitely right up there, though.
Yeah. Iwata is probably one of the most important people in its history, but he is definitely below Yamauchi, Miyamoto and Yokoi.

maxcriden

Yeah that instantly came to mind when I heard the news. He was clearly too sick to be in front of a camera during E3.

Perhaps so, but didnt he hold the annual shareholders meeting in person and preside over it just a couple weeks ago? So I'm not sure if we can say this for sure, or if we will ever know. In the meantime I just hope he had as restful of a passing as possible.

DooD1234

I knew about this for a while but haven't said anything because I didn't want to believe it. In fact, even after I processed this on my mind but I don't really know what to say, even now I'm still not sure what to say but I suppose I should say what on my mind.

Thanks you Mr. Iwata for some great gaming memories such as Pokemon Gold, my favorite pokemon game in my childhood and I never knew until today you were responsible for putting 2 region in 1 cartridge. Thank you for the Wii for all the motion control shenanigans me and my family has together that no other console had be able to before by bringing us all together in the living room while we laugh and smile. Thank you for the Nintendo DS where it had some great RPGs to play as well as the oddball touchscreen only games that gave us unique fun. Thank you Iwata for even when Nintendo were suffering losses, you cut your own salary so that the developers you have can continue to make great games without the fear of layoffs looming over them. Thanks for the Iwata asks where we have a very rare chance to see into the lives of certain developers and their development processes. Thanks for the Nintendo Directs where I thought you were being I thought you were being odd at first but grew attached as more and more Nintendo Directs were being presented. I hope that you will find peace in the afterlife knowing that you put a lot of smiles on people faces over the years.

I hope that didn't come off as rambling but this was all I could say to the best of my abilities. R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

Nanashrew

Banned
https://youtu.be/Iha6_y4XR0M

Something about the staff roll music to Kirby Super Star gives me a range of emotions now. Normally, on any other day it feels me with a lot of happiness and nostalgia and couldn't explain why. The story is over, everything is accomplished yet the music is so upbeat and filled with wonder. Somehow, I think this also best fits Iwata. The feeling of wonder, satisfaction, his story is now over but I imagine he's as upbeat as ever.

You know what would be great? If Nintendo released a Direct celebrating Iwata's life. It would be fitting that a format designed to put the spotlight on others would be used to shed light on the man who made it all possible to start with.

I was thinking about that too. I know Nintendo is taking a silent approach so far, but it would be great if they shared some kind of tribute with Nintendo fans. A direct would be very fitting.

Still hurts.

How is that a man's death, a man I never met, hurts so much.

I am not crying but I feel like shit.

I will continue to game because of men like him.

I think the most appropriate way to celebrate him would be a modest, light-hearted tribute. He devoted his life to create joyful experiences and put a smile on people's faces, I don't think he would want to make his departure even sadder, especially for the children who followed his Directs and grew attached to him.

That was 2013.

The 3 were never at E3 together again
That one is from 2012, they had the chance to replicate it in 2013 (the year of Luigi).

It could have been a great tradition.

Ninjimbo

I would say Iwata was the face of Nintendo for two decades and that still doesn't compare to the impact Miyamoto had on the company and on the medium as a whole. I mean, Miyamoto's influence is still felt in the games Nintendo makes today so his impact is still growing.

Though, Iwata did make plenty of moves that still haven't even come close to fruition like the shift to mobile. If Nintendo becomes a giant in the mobile game industry, it's going to be in large part due to what Iwata helped establish before his passing and who knows what the NX is going to be. This answer to your question will be more interesting in the next few years.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think the most appropriate way to celebrate him would be a modest, light-hearted tribute. He devoted his life to create joyful experiences and put a smile on people's faces, I don't think he would want to make his departure even sadder, especially for the children who followed his Directs and grew attached to him.

That one is from 2012, they had the chance to replicate it in 2013 (the year of Luigi).

It could have been a great tradition.

Luigi's the 4th Goddess no one talks about in the Triforce.

BoSox06DH

I couldn't believe this news when I just checked GAF yesterday evening. I'm definitely bummed about his passing more than I would of thought possible. Thank you Mr. Iwata for all of the great things you've done and represented, you'll certainly be missed.

I'm not saying his condition had nothing to do with why he didn't appear in person. That's a pretty natural assumption.

I'm saying that it's a bit of a reach to assume that their use of Muppets was entirely because they were afraid to show the real him. I don't think they'd go through the trouble just for that, especially when they had to excuse his absence anyway.

I like to think Iwata, knowing this was coming, picked the Muppets because the Muppets are as timeless as Nintendo and both symbolize the same thing -- just plain fun for all ages.

He wanted his last public image to be humorous.

random25

Miyamoto on the software development side made the largest impact not just in Nintendo, but in the whole industry as a whole. A lot of gaming's most recognizable mascots were his "children".

But Iwata impacted Nintendo more on the background and management side, simply by being the president of Nintendo (and HAL back in the day). Like I said before, we may not remember Iwata for his games the same way we will remember Miyamoto for his games, but we'll remember the guy for his works in the background that made some of our favorite games of all time possible.

So it's not really easy to compare since the two individuals are contributing in different aspects that made what Nintendo is today.

Peltz

I can understand PlayStation and Kamiya .... I can kinda understand NVIDIA ..... but it is CRAZY how even things like PETA and Skype are posting social media stuff for Iwata

Iwata's message for gaming was one of overall inclusion. It's not hard to fathom that his message actually resonated with people and he was successful in delivering it. Perhaps we don't realize that because we live and breathe gaming. But many non gamers connected with Nintendo under his guise.

Alastor3

beside Earthbound sountrack, I really need something to listen to tonight before going to sleep... something relaxing ? I think about him waaaay too much today, it doesn't help that im unemployed

Griss

Watched his Game Center CX appearance again, and this time instead of tearing up I laughed. What a man. So pleasant, so damn funny.

Screw it, his life was clearly filled with joy, day after day. He worked with friends and geniuses at a job everyone who loves videogames would love to have, and love to have the ability to do. He was beloved by everyone.

Enough sadness. I'm ready to celebrate him. Congratulations Iwata, you were incredible.

gamerMan

I can understand PlayStation and Kamiya .... I can kinda understand NVIDIA ..... but it is CRAZY how even things like PETA and Skype are posting social media stuff for Iwata

While their popularity has waned in recent years, Nintendo has a very long history. For the longest time, every meaningful innovation in video games has been sparked and popularized out of Nintendo. Video games wouldn't be where they are today without Nintendo's contributions. A lot of people in software grew up playing Nintendo games and want to pay their respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom