• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last Iwata Asks was for Fire Emblem: Fates. This was published only a few weeks ago. I always loved these because they showed how passionate he was about their games.

main6.jpg

Part of me's hoping they did the one for Super Mario Maker in time, but I know how unlikely that is.

Just imagine the stories behind that.

AniHawk

the more time that passes, the harder it's getting to process this. i think i was hard into denial yesterday. or maybe all the tributes are getting to me. or maybe it's the amount of information we're learning about him from so many other people who knew him at different points in his life from different walks of life.

One of my favorite Iwata moments is this laid-back one from the E3 2013 Direct when he personally gives us a sneak peak tour of the show floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13D1I5s236o&t=38m20s

"Shall we go to the Pikmin area? :)"

He is incredibly cute haha.

Whoa... They spoiled Tropical Freeze in that video (at the very end). I didn't catch that when it aired.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought this was a pre e3 direct for some reason haha.

I fired up my 3DS for the first time in a long while...booted up Animal Crossing, proceeded to my town's notice board and posted "Rest in Peace, Iwata-san".

It felt like the thing to do.

KingBroly

Banned
It's fitting that Silver Mario is holding Bananas.

I just...it still sucks. It feels like a family member died here. He did all of these fun, kooky things for us to make us laugh and enjoy ourselves, and that's really all we have left now. Those memories he provided for us. It wasn't just skits, either. He was infectious with his presentation style, his demeanor during Directs and such. It was just so...nice.

Fuck.

Nanashrew

Banned
As a leader, Iwata was known for his approachability. “On my business card, I am a corporate president,” he said, during a speech in 2005. “In my mind, I am a game developer. But, in my heart, I am a gamer.” He was, in other words, multilingual, able to speak to shareholders, creators, and consumers. He hosted a video series on the Nintendo Web site called “Iwata Asks,” in which he interviewed his teams about their work. “I remember him as being very actively interested in everything you had to say, and always talking about the technical aspects of making games,” Dylan Cuthbert, a developer in Kyoto who once appeared on the series, told me. “He’d even translate techno gobbledygook to people around him without a technical background.” Iwata’s knowledge of programming—he worked on some of Nintendo’s best-loved games, including Earthbound, The Legend of Zelda, and the Animal Crossing series—made him sympathetic to the rigors of imaginative game-making. “I never sensed that he thought he was more important, smarter, or more powerful than me, although he was all those things,” Martin Hollis, who has worked on many Nintendo titles, said. “I never felt he was my boss, or my boss’s boss. I felt he was a friend who was trying to help me in my projects. There isn’t another person like him in the world.”

It can't be said enough, but Iwata was a really great man.
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/postscript-satoru-iwata-nintendo-president

Crayolan

Decided to finish up my Wii U copy of Earthbound which was near the end anyway.

MlWA77yyBMElaDH07l

Forgot just how creepy and seizure-ific the final boss could get.

It's been a day since I heard the news and I still can't believe that Iwata-san is gone. I didn't know how much his passing would affect me until it happened and I find it raining around me when I think of him and read this thread. I feels sad and very strange that he won't be there to deliver information to us, directly, or ask developers about their games. I keep hoping that he'll somehow come back to us.

He helped to shape so many of the games that were a big part of my childhood and even my life today. I always forgot that he was actually the president of Nintendo given how much fun he had interacting with us through Nintendo Directs, Iwata Asks and other ways. There's no doubt at all that he'll be sorely missed and his memory will live on in my heart.

Thank you, Iwata-san.

GhaleonQ

I'll try to get to it a bit later today if I can find time... I just read through it and it was really touching. Him wishing there was a StreetPass with heaven so that he can say thanks to Iwata one last time. It sounds like they had a bit of a falling out regarding a 3DS Seaman project that never came to be, and Saito deeply regrets not having reestablished relations with Iwata after that.

I checked your posts, Zefah, and didn't see it, but if you can, you're a fantastic person. Thanks in advance!

I keep posting in here. Maybe it helps me. I don't know. I've been watching some Iwata videos today. It just pains me how many more years he could have and should have had.

Theorymon

Slightly off topic, but in memory of Iwata, I'm going to be doing a new Earthbound playthrough,and name stuff after key people at Nintendo. It may sound silly, but I think this could help me cope with this tragic loss. What do you think I should name stuff after? Currently, I'm thinking

Ness - Iwata
Paula - ?
Jeff - Yokoi
Poo - Hiro or Yamau (I wanted to name him after Hiroshi Yamauchi, but the 5 character limit would mean I could only fit in Yamau or Hiro)

King (the dog) - ?
Favorite Food - Banana
Favorite thing - Either Gaming (heh that's one of the defaults) or Fun.

<--

Did not want to place the ribbon on my cheesy Reggie avatar, so I booted up Nintendo Land and did this instead. (Also remembered that the game is as great as it was on launch.)

Re-watched few Directs with Iwata and understood that I will miss him and his friendly nature. It really hit me after a long, sad day.

Loptous

I played Balloon Fight all night yesterday, until I achieved rank 1 and got a mega bonus in Ballon Trip mode.

Getting eaten by the fish made me grin every single time

#ThankYouIwata ;_;7

Sasukekun

Neo Member
Spent pretty much all of yesterday fighting back tears, I watched Sterling's impromptu Jimquisition on my way home last night and when he said 'Thank god for you. Sleep well.' I very nearly broke down right there.

Piccoro

I played Balloon Fight all night yesterday, until I achieved rank 1 and got a mega bonus in Ballon Trip mode.

Getting eaten by the fish made me grin every single time

#ThankYouIwata ;_;7

That's cool!
Yesterday night when I got home I played Balloon Fight on NES Remix, and tried to get 3 stars on every level. My total star count is now 500 because of that! :)

I also played Balloon Trip Breeze on Nintendo Land and I got further than usual.

#ThankYouIwata

Piccoro

Trying to avoid self promoting too much with this, but Chris Huelsbeck (classic game composer) and I will be streaming Balloon Fight and other Iwata games on Wednesday. Chris worked extensively with Nintendo, even coding their N64 music software MusyX, so while he didn't directly work with Iwata he has lots of Nintendo stories from his long career so he wanted to do this stream.

You're a friend of legendary Amiga composer Chris Huelsbeck? :O
Please share the link to your stream, please!

11539593_10206735278476800_4007387264850451581_n.jpg

I've never really worked with photo editing in the past, but I tried to make a tribute myself with the connection to Iwata that changed me the most, Earthbound was the last game my father bought me before he passed, I never got around to beating it till after, the game made me have strength in a time when I had none of my own, and Itoi's words just devastated me. I'm grateful for Mr. Iwata and his indirect influence in my life, I wish for his family strength, time to grieve, love, and even joy in the celebration of his life.

NotLiquid

It's fitting that Silver Mario is holding Bananas.

I just...it still sucks. It feels like a family member died here. He did all of these fun, kooky things for us to make us laugh and enjoy ourselves, and that's really all we have left now. Those memories he provided for us. It wasn't just skits, either. He was infectious with his presentation style, his demeanor during Directs and such. It was just so...nice.

Fuck.

When you think about it, he was really everyone's cool uncle that worked at Nintendo.

I'm not sure if I should be sad when I see this, but I'm not, it's always made me laugh. The man was always full of surprises.
U9Adur3.gif

If anything, it serves as a reminder that no matter how bad things were going for Nintendo, Iwata never considered them dead, always striving to keep the employees there and constantly making games. :)

When NX is a success we'll be using this one.
That too, lol.

Arcatax

It's already been almost 2 days since I found out and I'm still shocked and saddened by his passing. Thanks for everything Iwata.

shaki123

Even Amazon did it before NeoGaf. I don't understand why it takes so long. I don't want to complain but we (GAF) and surely Iwata deserve a better treatment here.

We don't need a new logo every time something important happens. Yes, it would be very nice to see, but I think demanding a logo change has no place here. I'd rather this thread be filled with posts celebrating Iwata's life than berating NeoGAF administration. Just my two cents, of course.

Kangi

We don't need a new logo every time something important happens. Yes, it would be very nice to see, but I think demanding a logo change has no place here. I'd rather this thread be filled with posts celebrating Iwata's life than berating NeoGAF administration. Just my two cents, of course.

It really hasn't, considering we've been told multiple times to stop and let them decide what they will:

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

We would really appreciate it if this thread doesn't become a pointless bickering debate about what you personally prefer on our logo. This thread isn't about that and will not be about that. Don't turn someone's death into some sort of silly agenda. Thanks.

As I know not everyone reads every post, please stop posting about the NeoGAF logo. We would like to not have to say this again.

jts

...hate me...
I agree that this is one of those situations where timeliness is more valuable than any aesthetic considerations, and if you're waiting for the design to be "pleasing" by a certain standard, and only pull the trigger under that condition, then your tribute just comes off as petty and unauthentic.

In any case the consideration and respect any website may or may not have for Iwata doesn't change history or the man the he was. Or brings him back for that matter. So, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom