• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cygnus X-1

Life is so damn fragile. Most of people don't have a damn idea.

Rest in Peace and thanks from the bottom of my heart for everything - you made many people smile and I was one of them, even if I'm not playing much since some years now.

Watching old Iwata videos and the swagger on him during the early DS / early Wii stuff is great.

Completely different, much more aspirational / big picture thinking style of presentation then the goofy and charming Direct Iwata of recent times.

StayDead

I'm not sure if I should be sad when I see this, but I'm not, it's always made me laugh. The man was always full of surprises.
U9Adur3.gif

If only this could actually happen. :(

I hope that his death won't bring an end to the use of gifs like these. They were always hilarious and always made me feel more and more excited for any gaming event every year. He may be gone from the mortal world, but he'll never be gone from our hearts <3

He'll continue driving that train long after he's gone I hope.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Please stop talking about the logo. Demanding the logo to be changed doesn't seem right.
-----

Also Evilore on the subject

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

Cosmozone

No need to cry over a logo on a forum IMHO. It's not like forums are states or something, they're up to individuals and they may do whatever they want. There are wonderful tributes to Iwata everywhere for us to share.

Cygnus X-1

Please stop talking about the logo. Demanding the logo to be changed doesn't seem right.
-----

Also Evilore on the subject

Fair enough, thanks for the answer. Can't say I agree (if something needs to be done for mourning, it makes sense to do it now and not in one week or one month), but I respect the decision.

Iwata seemed like such a down to earth guy so seeing people arguing over making a gesture to honor him seems weird to me. If you want to honor him then honor him. Telling people or a site that theyre not honoring him properly by not making a banner change just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe thats just me.

zsidane

I couldn't post earlier to express how sad I am. I rememberwaking up at 03am with my phone in my hands, and while half asleep I tried to close the last app being used, and it was FB. Sad thing is among my news feed was Egadget post with the horrible news. I couldn't believe it and refuse to believe that and said to myself that being half asleep I must be imagining things. In the morning I opened NeoGAF and saw the first thread being the confirmation on his death.

I can't express how I feel. I really nappreciate the guy, and without knowing or meeting him, I always thought that he's a nice, kind and genuine person like we rarely see these days. I was always amused whenever a new Nintendo Direct aired as I was thinking "Man, this guy is the CEO/President of the largest Japanese company and he still acts like he doesn't care. Because he didn't care. All he caredabout were the gamers, his team and making fun games.

Among this sad atmosphere, it makes me feel good to read how everyone in the industry praises this visionary man, and more important, how EVERYONE appreciate the person and recognizes that he did many many great things for our industry and hobby.

What agreat man he was.
Iwata you will be missed.
Thanks for everything

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm pretty sure Iwata would like it if we enjoy his positive GIFs. It gives a warm, happy memory of him.

oni-link

“Video games are meant to be just one thing,” he said. “Fun! Fun for everyone.”

He cemented this belief while talking at the 2011 game developer conference. After reflecting on his early days of games programming he said that observing the sales of Miyamoto’s games had convinced him of one thing: “engineering is not quite as important as imagination.”

From this article

Jofamo

I took Iwata's Mii on a trip through some Wii U and 3DS games to honour him yesterday. Here's a few of the pictures I took;

tumblr_nrggclTHZb1qb75euo1_400.jpg

tumblr_nrggclTHZb1qb75euo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrggclTHZb1qb75euo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrggclTHZb1qb75euo6_400.jpg

tumblr_nrggclTHZb1qb75euo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrggclTHZb1qb75euo3_1280.jpg

Everytime I think I feel a bit better I visit this thread and then I am in fucking tears again.

I've been actively avoiding this thread until now, because I knew it would be too soon for me. Nintendo was a huge part of my childhood, and you often become fans of the creators, not just their work. The first thing I see is all this amazing, beautiful art, and the sadness reignites and my stomach turned a little. It's pretty rough. Sigh... 55 is much too early. I wish his family and friends all of the best during this sad time.

pringles

This really hit me hard. I don't know why. I guess something about the complete shock of it, combined with Iwata in my mind being very representative of what makes Nintendo great makes this feel really tragic. He will be missed. RIP.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This really hit me hard. I don't know why. I guess something about the complete shock of it, combined with Iwata in my mind being very representative of what makes Nintendo great makes this feel really tragic. He will be missed. RIP.

The unexpectedness of it certainly plays a part, but I just realized something else reading your post: he died when he still had so much to look forward to, and no doubt so much he wanted to show us and make for us.

Pardon my awkward phrasing, but unlike, say, Yamauchi, this time we didn't just lose someone who wasn't - couldn't - enrich our lives any more due to retirement and old age. We lost someone who would have continued to make us, our families and friends laugh and smile for years, perhaps decades to come.

There was still so much imagination and energy and joy in this man to be shared with us, but now he'll never get to share it, and we'll never get to experience it. We truly are poorer for losing him. Sorry to be a downer, but that fact just dawned on me.

kinggroin

Banned
The unexpectedness of it certainly plays a part, but I just realized something else reading your post: he died when he still had so much to look forward to, and no doubt so much he wanted to show us and make for us.

Pardon my awkward phrasing, but unlike, say, Yamauchi, this time we didn't just lose someone who wasn't - couldn't - enrich our lives any more due to retirement and old age. We lost someone who would have continued to make us, our families and friends laugh for years, perhaps decades to come.

There was still so much imagination and energy and joy in this man to be shared with us, but now he'll never get to share it, and we'll never get to experience it. We truly are poorer for losing him. Sorry to be a downer, but that fact just dawned on me.

Yes. By extension, its like Nintendo itself died a bit.

Hurts way more than I ever imagined it would.

oni-link

Yes. By extension, its like Nintendo itself died a bit.

Hurts way more than I ever imagined it would.

I have faith in Nintendo, they will have people ready to step up that share his views and values, wasn't Splatoon made by a group of younger devs?

That's a quintessentially Nintendo game that espouses their design values and philosophy to a tee, he is gone but he won't be forgotten, not as a man, nor as a leader

Just look at Reggies statement:

He always challenged us to push forward…to try the new…to upset paradigms—and most of all, to engage, excite and endear our fans. That work will continue uninterrupted.

Usobuko

Banned
I like Nintendo games but what makes Iwata incredible in my eyes are two things even your every day folks could do if they want but most of them don't. The first is taking a pay cut to accept responsibility and shelter the employees working under him from being retrenched. The second is his professionalism and passion to work despite battling a grave illness for his life.

I witness first hand how cancer could maliciously weaken the patient body so much so that even your day to day activity needs someone else to be there for you.

Pardon my awkward phrasing, but unlike, say, Yamauchi, this time we didn't just lose someone who wasn't - couldn't - enrich our lives any more due to retirement and old age. We lost someone who would have continued to make us, our families and friends laugh and smile for years, perhaps decades to come.

Ugh this pretty much hits the hammer on the head for me. He always seemed excited about what Nintendo had in store for us. I felt like he couldn't wait to see us play the games they had in store. He was so, so much more than just being CEO of his company. He really was a part of Nintendo's DNA.

I hope whoever Iwata's successor is, they can carry on his spirit and run Nintendo in a way that would have made Iwata proud.

Eteric Rice

Yeah, he kind of seemed like a friend we never knew. The Willy Wonka of the video game world, who every once in a while would show us what happens behind the magic. He just seemed like a such a sweet man.

It's strange that a CEO's death effected me this much. I've always been a fan of Nintendo, but now a company with legends that seemed almost immortal now seems so... mortal. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom