• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Damn these tributes are lovely, thoughtful sentimental things.

Really a strong sign about just how well respected he was because of his enthusiasm, his honesty and passion.

I hope that his attitude and legacy lives on not just at Nintendo but in the industry at large. His approach towards games really was one of the most positive, and about all the best things.

Somehow too I'll always remember where I was when I read the news too. It was literally in the same minute I finally caught the last bug I needed in Animal Crossing New Leaf. A game which I think owes an enormous debt to the ethos and culture he helped nurture at Nintendo.

CTLance

I wanted to comment on the "Iwata condolences" thread on miiverse and it just doesn't let me, neither on my new n3DS (comment button does nothing) nor on the webpage ("Add a Comment: You cannot comment on this post."). Then again, I'm a bloody miiverse newb and am probably doing it wrong. Still, sad.

I like this way of looking at it. It's kinda Iwata-like.
JnouAY8.png

(src)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
HUELEN10 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171733528&postcount=803

HUELEN10 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118867694&postcount=584

We play because it's Nintendo, it's Nintendo because it's Iwata.
I made this post over a year ago, and it made it into a poster which Mr Iwata received at the hospital when he was recovering last year, a poster that many of us took part in, from the bottom of our hearts. It might not be appropriate to put this in the other thread, so I will say it here out of respect; Mr. Iwata knew that no matter what critics or shareholders said, there were people all over the world that genuinely believed in him and cared about his well-being; he never doubted himself yet acted with respect and humbleness (Man cut his paycheck in half). He was a leader in every sense of the word.

When you are in a position with high stakes, it's hard to shake everything off, but every kind thought and word can help someone get through it. Mr. Iwata bounced back as much as he could, and was responsible for a lot of great things in the last year of his life, including making the company profitable once more. In an industry filled with drama, tension, politics, and cynics, it's important to know that the people involved are REAL people; they laugh, they cry, they live, and yes, they die. May there always be room in it for kind words, love, and respect. Mr. Iwata will be missed and is missed, and the industry needs more people like him.

Quoting this from the thread I made last year, which has since been locked. Just wanted to add, I thought about your exact sentence this morning HUELEN10, as I was having breakfast. I remember framing it and adding it to the final poster just as I was putting the finishing touches on everything.

Even at the time when you suggested it, it stood out to me as an exceptional description of Iwata's importance to this industry. I hope he will continue to be remembered as the man who helped shape the company that helped shape gaming for generations to come.

edit: here's a link to the final images for those interested in taking a trip down memory lane:

Padinn

Last year I did some studying on how Japanese culture views death. One thing I remember is that death is not seen as an ending, but a new beginning. There is a strong belief that the deceased can continue to influence events from outside the mortal world. It's as if transitioning to a higher state of being. I personally am not a very spiritual person, but I do find solace in thinking that Mr. Iwata is exactly the type of person I'd hope this to be true for.

Eteric Rice

Last year I did some studying on how Japanese culture views death. One thing I remember is that death is not seen as an ending, but a new beginning. There is a strong belief that the deceased can continue to influence events from outside the mortal world. It's as if transitioning to a higher state of being. I personally am not a very spiritual person, but I do find solace in thinking that Mr. Iwata is exactly the type of person I'd hope this to be true for.

Same here. If there's an afterlife, I hope he has a good one. :)

0racle

Im not either, and when I find myself sad about death , its because I feel for the person who died. My views are when you pass, its lights out, zero existence...absolute emptiness. While I do live a Christian lifestyle in terms of agreeing with the morals it teaches I do not feel like there is a palace in the sky that we all go to when we die. The fact that I think there is absolute nothing is what makes death sad for the person who passed. At least he left a legacy for all of us through his creations.

- and just to clarify im not being insensitive, im just stating why his passing has affected *me* after hearing the horrible news - this is no way a post to start a discussion about religion or afterlife

latest

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I still can't believe it. Normally when heads of companies die I think about it a bit but it doesn't affect me.
At some deep level I understand that something of value has been lost. It's quite odd really and I've been bitching on about Nintendo for ages but this has really touched me. A transcendent moment. It's not just Nintendo fans that are mourning. It's everyone. Even my wife who is a complete non-gamer recognised him.

I love the idea of Iwata being named CEO and his first thought after leaving is "Wait...do I get paid more? I should ask, right?"

I know, that is amazing humility. I feel sad for Miyamoto that he lost his drinking buddy.

Come to think of it, I can't remember when was the first time I saw Iwata. He was always kind of there in everything Nintendo-related. He blended into my gaming memories so well and I feel weird now.

I know, I had the same thought. We was always just a fixture, always there.

I think what's amazing is that EVERYONE is showing their love for the man, even people you would think would be ripping on Nintendo left and right. I haven't seen this much outpouring of love since the passing of Steve Jobs, and, I should mention, that topic only had 89 pages. Not saying this is a competition, but while Steve was an often controversial and even divisive figure, everyone loved Mr. Iwata. When you have guys like Adam Boyes saying how much they love Nintendo, leaders from third party companies that have pulled their support, and artwork from fans, you know Mr. Iwata was special.

Clefargle

Quoting this from the thread I made last year, which has since been locked. Just wanted to add, I thought about your exact sentence this morning HUELEN10, as I was having breakfast. I remember framing it and adding it to the final poster just as I was putting the finishing touches on everything.

Even at the time when you suggested it, it stood out to me as an exceptional description of Iwata's importance to this industry. I hope he will continue to be remembered as the man who helped shape the company that helped shape gaming for generations to come.

edit: here's a link to the final images for those interested in taking a trip down memory lane:

This was a really special thing from GAF to Iwata and I hope it made him smile. I'm also very happy to have been included. It was a sweet gesture and I hope it wasn't wasted on him.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I really like this. I'm gonna remember him like that.

same here! Maybe someone with artistic talent could make a painting of Iwata as a gaming version of Willy Wonka (Wilder's version or bust)

This was a really special thing from GAF to Iwata and I hope it made him smile. I'm also very happy to have been included. It was a sweet gesture and I hope it wasn't wasted on him.

I'm certain he enjoyed it. Nintendo employees tweeted that it was delivered to him along with a link to the thread.

BowieZ

Banned
This news still shocks me.

I visit other websites, distracted by other news, come back, scroll down the Gaming side, and BAM.

Hits me every time.

I can't believe it's real :.(

No more Iwata Asks. No more "directry to you!". No more console reveals.

He's gone. :(

mimho

I hope that all the respect and affection that the people of the internet and Miiverse is showing, can somehow ease the pain of family members.

clem84

Gold Member
Just rematched some of the older directs, and it's just hard to believe he's gone.

Just really hard.

That's how I feel too. He made a real effort to reach out and to be connected to the fanbase... It's just hard to believe that all of a sudden he's gone. :(

Javier

One thing I'd like to see Nintendo do as a tribute would be to release an expanded version of the Balloon Fight game in Nintendoland as an eShop standalone title, and then release a Balloon Fighter amiibo to go with it (And make sure the amiibo is common so everybody gets one).

New message posted on Nintendo's facebook page:

XEwPRqm.png

That picture <3

Nice that they responded to the fans' outpouring of support and a very heartfelt message overall. The people working there must have it rough too :(

Incredibly sweet and sincere, and makes me feel very proud to be a fan - hell, the whole fanbase this past day or so has made me feel proud. My condolences to everyone working there at this tough time, I hope you can focus and work hard on continuing Iwata's legacy for many years to come.

maxcriden

You're able to play as Mii in NSMBU in Challenge Mode and Boost Rush Mode and in NSLU in the level Superstar Road-9 Flying Squirrel Ovation.

Wow, I never realized you could play as a Mii in Flying Squirrel Ovation. I wonder how I missed that. I did know about Challenge Mode, but totally forgot. Thank you Weng!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom