• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

I'm still not over it.

I still feel like we're gonna have a Nintendo Direct announced any Minute now, and then it'll air tomorrow and we will see Iwata excusing for make us think that he was dead, will say that we should please understand, and that he will not die yet and has still lots and lots of News to deliver "directly" to us.

You know, I don't cry. And even during this whole thing I shed like two tears. And yet I feel like there's a huge hole in my heart. It's insane that I feel this kind of sadness for someone I just liked. It never happened to me before.

I don't know how to deal with my Emotions...

Anth0ny

I'm not sure if I should be sad when I see this, but I'm not, it's always made me laugh. The man was always full of surprises.
U9Adur3.gif

not sure if in bad taste

or even better now

I'm still not over it.

I still feel like we're gonna have a Nintendo Direct announced any Minute now, and then it'll air tomorrow and we will see Iwata excusing for make us think that he was dead, will say that we should please understand, and that he will not die yet and has still lots and lots of News to deliver "directly" to us.

You know, I don't cry. And even during this whole thing I shed like two tears. And yet I feel like there's a huge hole in my heart. It's insane that I feel this kind of sadness for someone I just liked. It never happened to me before.

:(

Caja 117

R.I.P.

Respect and admiration for someone that did the Business with passion, and not just like just another suit that see numbers.

73V3N

Banned
I'm still not over it.

same here :/

RichardKSJ

New message posted on Nintendo's facebook page:

XEwPRqm.png

That picture <3

Nice that they responded to the fans' outpouring of support and a very heartfelt message overall. The people working there must have it rough too :(

Nintendo of America Twitter:

ipwwmDD.jpg

How sweet <3 you can tell they really care and appreciate all the love being shared.

Iwata was an amazing man with an amazing heart and an amazing vision. He will never be forgotten, we will these keep warm memories of him we love so much in our hearts forever.

We will always love you Nintendo, you mean a lot to us and always will.

GDGF

Soothsayer
not sure if in bad taste

or even better now

Honestly, imagining next year's E3 Digital Event announcing the NX and this image popping up in that future thread puts a smile on my face for some reason.

I guess it's kind of morbid, yeah, but it makes me feel better.

Pandy

When the NX is officially revealed, and it looks amazing (please), this GIF better be the first response posted.
Yup, there's potential for good, well-meant, use of the gif for a successful NX, not to mention the mobile plans with DeNA, and QoL if they comes to anything. Used in a positive context about any projects begun under Iwata's stewardship, I don't imagine too many people will take offense. :)

I'm into the 'acceptance' stage of grief now. Watching the unboxing tribute video, and the Japanese TV spot he was in about Balloon Trip really helped cheer me up. He really was a lovely, cheerful guy.

Yup, there's potential for good, well-meant, use of the gif for a successful NX, not to mention the mobile plans with DeNA, and QoL if they comes to anything. Used in a positive context about any projects begun under Iwata's stewardship, I don't imagine too many people will take offense. :)

I'm into the 'acceptance' stage of grief now. Watching the unboxing tribute video, and the Japanese TV spot he was in about Balloon Trip really helped cheer me up. He really was a lovely, cheerful guy.

I've been reading Iwata Asks all morning and I wish they'd filmed these. Such a great man with a great humor. I really loved the one with Kamiya and Wonderful 101 where Kamiya thought that Nintendo would be all business-like but they were so nice to him he wanted to work twice as hard for them.

Well, at least I can now listen to Smiles and Tears without being reduced to a total wreck.

I still lose it a bit at "I'll miss you", though. :(

LDAF

Honestly, imagining next year's E3 Digital Event announcing the NX and this image popping up in that future thread puts a smile on my face for some reason.

I guess it's kind of morbid, yeah, but it makes me feel better.

Yeah, it'll take some time for me to think about whether I find it disrespectful or funny, but I think it's just because the wound is fresh. Once next E3 comes around, I hope it'll put a smile on my face too.

clem84

Gold Member
Somebody posted this pic yesterday. It's meant to be used as a Facebook cover. Only problem is that the Facebook buttons got in the way of the "Satoru Iwata 59-15" at the bottom right so I modified it slightly so that they don't. Feel free to use.

I still get this terrible pang of sadness when I'm browsing GAF and I read this thread title. It just hasn't fully set it for me yet. It's like I'm reliving the news over and over. This thread is great though, Mr Iwata is getting a beautiful and loving send-off and it's really cool to see.

Red

Iwata was truly a special human being. The outpouring of grief and appreciation for his legacy goes to show how many lives he has touched and how many smiles he's created. An exemplary man who lead by example as much as enthusiasm. I've never been so saddened by a celebrity death.

Somebody posted this pic yesterday. It's meant to be used as a Facebook cover. Only problem is that the Facebook buttons got in the way of the "Satoru Iwata 59-15" at the bottom right so I modified it slightly so that they don't. Feel free to use.

Thanks! Going to use it for the foreseeable future!

Like a lot of people, I had kind of a tough childhood and turned to videogames to escape my problems. The rough family situation, bullies, the constant moving--I could make it all go away, however briefly, with the help of my NES and SNES.

If the Nintendo of my childhood was about isolation and escape, the Nintendo of my early adult life--Iwata's Nintendo--was about creating new experiences and playing with new people.

I met my first serious girlfriend while I was working the desk in our dorm. She approached me (at this point in my life, I would have never made the first move) because she saw me playing my brand new DS, released the week before, and was eager to check it out.

While that relationship ultimately did not work out, it was an important stepping stone for me emotionally and socially.

When the Wii came out, I camped out at GameStop overnight for the opportunity to reserve one. I was the only person in the dorm who managed to get one once it launched, and nothing brought people together quite like that did. Lots of long nights in the lobby with a crowd of people playing Wii Sports, or Melee, or Double Dash...I think even Wario Ware made it into the rotation for a while, hah.

One of the first dates I had with the woman who is now my wife ended with a good couple hours of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. She wasn't very good (and still isn't, but don't tell her I said that) but we figured out that if she got a fire flower, I could just carry her through the level while she took out enemies with fireballs.

I think that's why I'm sad about all this. My growth as a person, being able to open up and do these new things and meet these new people, was sort of tied up with Nintendo's growth as a company and the growth of the industry thanks, in no small part, to Iwata and what he accomplished with the Wii and the DS. He wanted to bring people together.

Rest easy, you goofy genius.

Astral Dog

Im not either, and when I find myself sad about death , its because I feel for the person who died. My views are when you pass, its lights out, zero existence...absolute emptiness. While I do live a Christian lifestyle in terms of agreeing with the morals it teaches I do not feel like there is a palace in the sky that we all go to when we die. The fact that I think there is absolute nothing is what makes death sad for the person who passed. At least he left a legacy for all of us through his creations.

- and just to clarify im not being insensitive, im just stating why his passing has affected *me* after hearing the horrible news - this is no way a post to start a discussion about religion or afterlife
yeah, i don't want to believe on a heaven or hell but if there is one, Iwata would be there for sure, showing all Nintendo games to children.

Ooccoo

Maybe they recorded something special while he was still alive, some kind of farewell video. Iwata probably knew he didn't have a lot of time left to live. I didn't even think about the muppets until his passing, and I thought it was pretty childish. Now it's clear it was for the better and I feel stupid.

Auctopus

Hey, I'm not a Photoshop wizard but I made this for you in case it's better for your Facebook.

earthboundiwatanmrul.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
My neighbor's three year old daughter was over yesterday, and I taught her how to play Kirby (she picked it out randomly from the Wii U home screen). An hour later when her mom was taking her home, she excitedly told her that Kirby is her new best friend.

Iwata's legacy will live on, whether people know his name or not.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
My neighbor's three year old daughter was over yesterday, and I taught her how to play Kirby (she picked it out randomly from the Wii U home screen). An hour later when her mom was taking her home, she excitedly told her that Kirby is her new best friend.

Aaaaw, get out of here :').

El Odio

Banned
Would totally use this if I wasn't using puppet Iwata with bananas. I can't change that now.

I'm not sure if I should be sad when I see this, but I'm not, it's always made me laugh. The man was always full of surprises.
U9Adur3.gif

I think this is the kind of thing I would love to keep seeing. This perfectly exemplifies the child-like surprise and wonder this man and the people he led could bring to us, even against hard odds.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Every time I think the fact has sunk in, I realize it really hasn't, and reading this thread makes me sad all over again as if I'd just heard the news.

What bothers me the most is that he passed right before one of the most transformative periods in Nintendo's history. Iwata knows that Nintendo has been going through dark times, and on a personal level he was deeply upset and apologetic that the Wii U and 3DS are not the successes that he was hoping for.

He was working his butt off to ensure NX would be one hell of a system that fans, investors, and everyone in between can get behind. I'd like to think that he would knock it out of the park this time. Not to mention inking that landmark mobile deal that will undoubtedly bring vast revenue streams to the company. I fully expect Nintendo's mobile efforts to dominate the iOS and Android markets. Then there was that QoL thing, which I don't know much about, but Nintendo seems excited about it.

But all of this is happening next year. 2016 is supposed to be a turning point for Nintendo and it kills me knowing that Iwata won't see his ambitions realized and potentially see his company's woes reversed. He won't be part of the exciting future that he shaped and departed apologizing for the present. &#128546;

Glix

I was unplugged the last few days and just saw this as a blurb on the cover of the "Epoch Times" down in the lobby of the building I work...

I was like "HUH?!?!?, What the fuck?!?!?!"

So sad. Seemed like such a wonderful man. Miyamoto said he was surprised, did Mr. Iwata hide his illness even from his colleagues? Probably didn't want to get them down. I have a file on my desktop called "iwatabanana"

1858ldico9slrpng.png

He will be missed.

How lovely!

jufonuk

not tag worthy

fucking onions in this place, haven't cried over this, feel sad, but this got to me I am at work don't want to cry... i never met you Iwata, thought I feel as if I lost a close neighbor..

Maebe

I'm still not over it.

I relate to that. I keep thinking he'll appear again, and it's all a terribly bad joke. I'd forgive them for it, too. Even though I don't know him personally, I couldn't help but cry.

Peltz

What bothers me the most is that he passed right before one of the most transformative periods in Nintendo's history. Iwata knows that Nintendo has been going through dark times, and on a personal level he was deeply upset and apologetic that the Wii U and 3DS are not the successes that he was hoping for.

He was working his butt off to ensure NX would be one hell of a system that fans, investors, and everyone in between can get behind. I'd like to think that he would knock it out of the park this time. Not to mention inking that landmark mobile deal that will undoubtedly bring vast revenue streams to the company. I fully expect Nintendo's mobile efforts to dominate the iOS and Android markets. Then there was that QoL thing, which I don't know much about, but Nintendo seems excited about it.

But all of this is happening next year. 2016 is supposed to be a turning point for Nintendo and it kills me knowing that Iwata won't see his ambitions realized and potentially see his company's woes reversed. He won't be part of the exciting future that he shaped and departed apologizing for the present. &#55357;&#56866;

Let's be glad that this change was initiated under his watch. It would have been much harder to accept and stay positive if these announced changes (mobile, NX, QOL) occurred months after his replacement took office.

Knowing that he was there for this transformation and knowing that it had his final stamp of approval means a lot. It will be part of his legacy.

Eteric Rice

"What we do in life echoes in eternity." - Marcus Aurelius

There can be no regret in a life where the things you made will bring smiles to people's faces for decades, maybe even centuries after you've passed.

CassSept

I still get this terrible pang of sadness when I'm browsing GAF and I read this thread title. It just hasn't fully set it for me yet. It's like I'm reliving the news over and over. This thread is great though, Mr Iwata is getting a beautiful and loving send-off and it's really cool to see.

Yeah, it's so out of the left field, it's kinda hard to accept that it's true.

Molemitts

I sometimes get a little shocked when I go on NeoGaf and see this thread. I still find it hard to believe.

Seeing all this amazing artwork and knowing that he helped shaped my childhood all the way through adulthood, I've been teetering sadness with it hitting hard yesterday. Just realizing that his company and his games helped bring good times, smiles, and me together with some lifetime friends now; I cannot thank him enough.

I'm in the middle of moving apartments and so all I have for entertainment is my 3DS and iPad. I decided to load up some Tomodachi Life in which I haven't played in about a month. I soon found his Iwata's QR code on Google and imported him into my game. Just seeing the message, "Iwata is home," put the stupidest grin across my face. He will forever be with all his Nintendo family whether it's on Tomodachi Island, Dreamland, or taking a Balloon Trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom