• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

But all of this is happening next year. 2016 is supposed to be a turning point for Nintendo and it kills me knowing that Iwata won't see his ambitions realized and potentially see his company's woes reversed. He won't be part of the exciting future that he shaped and departed apologizing for the present. 😢

To quote someone else we lost this year:

Terry Pratchett said:
In the Ramtops village where they dance the real Morris dance, for example, they believe that no-one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away – until the clock he wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone’s life, they say, is only the core of their actual existence.

A wonderful man, indeed. I teared up again today reading Reggie's statement in his voice:

Reggie said:
Mr. Iwata is gone, but it will be years before his impact on both Nintendo and the full video game industry will be fully appreciated. He was a strong leader for our company, and his attributes were clear to most everyone: Intelligence, creativity, curiosity and sense of humor. But for those of us fortunate enough to work closely with him, what will be remembered most were his mentorship and, especially, his friendship. He was a wonderful man. He always challenged us to push forward…to try the new…to upset paradigms—and most of all, to engage, excite and endear our fans. That work will continue uninterrupted.

Ladekabel

RocketbeansTV made an spontaneous tribute to Iwata yesterday in the evening where fellow Gaffer Chaz Ashley visits the games Iwata was working on. It is in German but maybe worth a watch: Part 1

I think this is the kind of thing I would love to keep seeing. This perfectly exemplifies the child-like surprise and wonder this man and the people he led could bring to us, even against hard odds.
It still makes me laugh. I know it's not appropriate but damn if I don't want it to actually happen. :(

kmax

Life is too short.

Mr. Iwata was truly a professional, a great and kind human being and an excellent role model to other people. Always humble, always kind and uplifting - even when facing death.

Even though I have disagreed with some of the directions Nintendo has made these past few years, his work and his character speak volumes of the kind of guy he was, and he will always be remembered for that. What a great man.

A true gentleman has left us. May he rest in peace.

AdanVC

I've never read such a genuine message from a company like the couple of tweets Nintendo posted today. They even shared the rainbow pic from Nintendo HQ in Kyoto :')

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From the first page of the thread, I expressed to other moderators that in light of the circumstances--people in the thread are upset--we should give people a bit of slack. So when there were literally hundreds of posts yelling that Polygon made a mistake for 30 seconds on a Sunday night (most pretty disgusting, vicious, and personal), I just deleted them. Then when there were hundreds of posts yelling that Pachter's tweet reaction "made the grieving all about himself" (many, again, disgusting, vicious, and personal), I just deleted them. Then when there were hundreds of posts asking about the banner (several pretty rude), we just deleted them after EviLore made a comment with his thoughts about the issue. I did not think it was appropriate to make an emotionally volatile thread into a place where people were getting banned for acting up.

And then I wake up this morning and there are dozens more posts, increasingly rudely berating "GAF" and, even worse, GAF's moderators (who have absolutely nothing to do with the site's design or operation), for not grieving properly? This is not acceptable, and it's why those responsible were banned overnight. No one is happy to have to ban people in this thread. I would not be happy to ban someone in this thread.

Everyone grieves differently. You have a license to do any number of things. Some of the tributes in this thread seem very heartfelt and touching, others hilarious, and others frankly tacky to me. But that's a part of how people process things, which is why this is not a catty zone for arguments and people calling each other out. We've moderated these thread by keeping it free of judgment and clear for everyone to process things the way they'd like to, without fighting over whether a given response is appropriate. So expecting the same level of decency in response isn't too much to ask.

I don't think it would impress anyone to have to change the thread title to remind people that yelling about GAF's site banner (or turning it into a contest of "which is more important") is not appropriate. I especially don't think it would impress anyone to turn a thread that could be a shining example of GAF's community and dedication to the industry into a locked ban graveyard. I don't think that'd reflect well on GAF or Nintendo fans. Please, do us a favour: do not use this as a thread to complain about how you perceive others are grieving. Also, if you see someone posting something that's obviously going to be deleted, don't reply to the them to explain anything or argue with them. Just let us zap it and move on. If you reply to them, it means more work for us, and it reflects worse on the thread's ability to remain focused and supportive.

(Edit: Also, there is no need to quote this post or make this thread about this reply. For 99% of you, nothing in this reply applies and there's no need to do anything different!)

DieH@rd

Banned
11750660_499846050171898_397293081406787504_n.jpg

:(

Samus got so ignored that she did not even came to the funeral.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I didn't really think about it until now, but there's really going to be a hole in the next Nintendo Direct or E3 presentation. The man's personality isn't something you can just replace with someone else. I hope Reggie posts a video or something, just saying how everything will continue as normal, following Iwata's philosophies. I know he's done interviews, but I'd like to see an address of some sort. I think it'd be sweet.

Thanks Stump, didn't want to keep quoting mods every page.

Nighteater

Neo Member
I'm glad Iwata got to see Splatoon's successful month. Showing him that his team still has what it takes to make great games even without a big IP attached to it.

Wanderer5

I didn't really think about it until now, but there's really going to be a hole in the next Nintendo Direct or E3 presentation. The man's personality isn't something you can just replace with someone else. I hope Reggie posts a video or something, just saying how everything will continue as normal, following Iwata's philosophies. I know he's done interviews, but I'd like to see an address of some sort. I think it'd be sweet.

Thanks Stump, didn't want to keep quoting mods every page.

The first direct after this and Iwata not being there is going to sting.:(

Thinking about what I kept saying about old Nintendo and new Nintendo given their transformation phase, it never occurred to me that the final chapter of old Nintendo will be Iwata's passing.

HUELEN10

I want a statue or plaque of Iwata at the entrance of Universal's Nintendoland section.

Who do we have to contact to make that happen.

Brofield

I think I've finally reached a midway point between depression and acceptance, but that Smiles and Tears at the Crossroads mashup really helped me get closer to acceptance.

Life ain't fair, and the problem with so many quotes about death is that they are all made by the living.

The stories you all share, they make me smile. That's what Iwata would want; to know that no matter how indirect his influence, he brought you and I to smile.

I think I'm slowly gonna make it through this, and you are too.

mantidor

I've been really bummed about it even today, I think I'm going to take a break for a while, it's really odd, I guess because it was so sudden. Usually with celebrities you get really sad for a day max and then move on, but this was different.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I want a statue or plaque of Iwata at the entrance of Universal's Nintendoland section.

Who do we have to contact to make that happen.
Start with Cynthia Gordon at NoA I'd say. If she cannot help personally, she at least can tell who is in charge of that sort of thing.

I'd take care of some communication myself weren't it for the outrageous prices my telephone operator charges for international calls.

El Odio

Banned
I think I've finally reached a midway point between depression and acceptance, but that Smiles and Tears at the Crossroads mashup really helped me get closer to acceptance.

Life ain't fair, and the problem with so many quotes about death is that they are all made by the living.

The stories you all share, they make me smile. That's what Iwata would want; to know that no matter how indirect his influence, he brought you and I to smile.

I think I'm slowly gonna make it through this, and you are too.
Reading his quote about how games are meant to be fun is what helped me start to accept things. His lifes goal and work was based on making others happy and that's what I'll do. I'll continue to play games and be happy as I do so to honor his legacy as he would have wanted.

My wife is by no means a gamer, but she decided to give Earthbound a try in honor of Iwata. She was sad to see buzz buzz go but she saved and quit saying "I liked that. I think i'll play it again." :) Nice to see his games get more love in any sense, and to see his games make people smile.

She also picked my avatar cuz she loves kirby.

NotLiquid

I came across this Iwata Asks segment made back during Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

CJ49rQwUcAAHo-r.png:large

It really puts into perspective how much Sakurai and Iwata shared a certain trust and how Iwata really perceived the qualities of the people involved in leading a team. It's no wonder it was always Iwata personally choosing to appoint Sakurai to make a new Smash game.

Peltz

Thinking about what I kept saying about old Nintendo and new Nintendo given their transformation phase, it never occurred to me that the final chapter of old Nintendo will be Iwata's passing.

I don't think any of us really expected this. He still seemed so lively in Nintendo Directs this year (even though he lost so much weight).

It seemed that he never wanted his audience to worry about him. He prevented any attention from being focused on his personal battle with cancer and made every appearance DIRECTLY about the games and Nintendo's future.

As silly as he was (delightfully so), he was also 100% professional throughout his entire career until his passing.

MlWA77ysT6kMj8DfAw

My contribution on Miiverse. Sadly I couldn't share it on the memorial post since it hit the post limit pretty quickly...

Edit: took me some attempts, sorry. Is there a better way to embed Miiverse posts here?

Mato

What bothers me the most is how much I failed to see this coming. I failed to sympathize with him while he was putting on a massive effort to surpass my expectations and look happy. During E3 he was literally on his deathbed and we were whining about toys and fireworks, asking ever more of him, forgetting about how much he's given us. I hope he knew how much he was appreciated.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What bothers me the most is how much I failed to see this coming. I failed to sympathize with him while he was putting on a massive effort to surpass my expectations and look happy. During E3 he was literally on his deathbed and we were whining about toys and fireworks, asking ever more of him, forgetting about how much he's given us. I hope he knew how much he was appreciated.
I was thinking the exact same things over the past couple of days. And that brought me to one conclusion:

To be on your deathbed, and do what he did, speaks of unlimited passion and dedication towards what you do. His very spirit was in the things he did, and the people he did it for.

I think I understand, Iwata-san. I hope I finally do.

Serrato

Well it doesn't change what we felt at that moment. We could not have known he was going to die only a month later...

Though in retrospective it his harsh, let's not beat ourselves up too much about his. I think no one would like that.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Does anyone know if I can find a copy of the "creating something unique" sign that was behind Iwata in his directs? I would love to get one for my office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom