• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muku

Nothing special, but threw this together this evening. Still trying to get over being stunned. Just... can't. I am enjoying all these images folks are sharing of their own image tributes/drawings/etc.

iwata_tribute_zpsvsxyz8gp.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow you can just feel the emotion in the final paragraph, he just wanted bis friend back and he couldn't help saying wht he wanted to say to him in his blog, what really tears me up is his need to apologize to him for not getting a game out in time.

Do you mind if I make a thread on this later when I get home?

I don't personally mind, but I'd check with a mod first. I doubt they would want to have every sentiment posted by someone close to Iwata getting its own thread.

DeMatador

Neo Member
Sorry about that. I got really busy yesterday and didn't have a chance. Here's a translation of the blog post.

This provides so much closure and info on tons of things. The Wimmote speaker, the Odama delay (which wasn't even that bad, wasn't it delayed from March 2006 to April 2006?) and freaking StreetPass. I mean, he said it was implemented on DS, so he either confused DS with 3DS, or he's actually talking about the DS' wireless capabilities and features like PictoChat. In any case, this was a very insightful post from Saito-san. Sadly it ends with a lot of regret from him. He was clearly very moved by Iwata's passing.

He does end with some hope, though, right after showing some pretty heavy despair:
"I’m still here, and although I almost lost hope in regards to being a creator and life in general, I think I want to challenge myself once more."
Wouldn't be surprised if that meant him trying to create a final Seaman game in the memory of Iwata and his support of both Saito and the Seaman franchise throughout the years.

This provides so much closure and info on tons of things. The Wimmote speaker, the Odama delay (which wasn't even that bad, wasn't it delayed from March 2006 to April 2006?) and freaking StreetPass. I mean, he said it was implemented on DS, so he either confused DS with 3DS, or he's actually talking about the DS' wireless capabilities and features like PictoChat.

DS had some StreetPass games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Kiddo Cabbusses seems to be uploading a lot of videos with Iwata. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7l9xN1EjRc

Unfortunately, none of these are translated with the exception of this video but it's not in english. I dunno if Kiddo is some kind of archiver but he even has very old videos from the 80's and 90's with Hiroshi Yamauchi in them, but again none of them translated.

Another with Iwata being interviewed on a Japanese news channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TswM5XFSftI

MLH

Sorry about that. I got really busy yesterday and didn't have a chance. Here's a translation of the blog post.

Aww this is quite sad to read, it feels like Saito had some regrets and never quite found the courage or time to contact Iwata again. He also sounds a bit burned out/ depressed, I hope Saito knows he is a well loved and respected creator. Yoot Tower is still one of my favourite time sinks; such a chill game.

tengiants

There are not many people in our modern era that can lay claim to spending their entire career making children of all ages happy. He could.

You calling me a man child? I'm okay with that.

RIP Iwata. Thanks for helping to keep my imagination alive amongst all these dull adults.

gamerMan

This is incredibly sad, but so beautiful at the same time. Same deal with reading all these stories about him, he wasn't only a genius but a wonderful person too. The more I read about him, the worse his loss feels.

I also feel bad for having doubted him in the past regarding the Wii U, he didn't deserve that. He, like everybody else, had hits and misses, but he always wanted the best for Nintendo and for us. He wanted everyone to be able to play games. He wanted us to have fun. He wanted us to smile and be happy. Costumes, toy bananas, puppets, he always wanted us to laugh. Thinking about it now, even if the Wii U has been a commercial failure, it still represents Iwata's ideals (and, as a result, Nintendo's), and that's what should matter the most. The Wii was a fantastic machine, one that gave me tons of fun, and its successor probably would too if I owned it.

Think I'm gonna play some Kirby's Dream Land on 3DS tonight once I get home, in his memory. It's a joyful game and probably a good way to remember him, given that I don't have a SNES or Wii U on which to play Earthbound. Thanks for everything, Mr. Iwata. I mean it.

I think his passing reminds us why we need Nintendo in this industry. Through their long history, they have basically created and popularized every big shift in the industry. The directional pad, shoulder buttons, side scrollers, portable gaming, 3d polygonal gaming, analogue controllers, wireless controllers, and touch screen gaming.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think his passing reminds us why we need Nintendo in this industry. Through their long history, they have basically created and popularized every big shift in the industry. The directional pad, shoulder buttons, side scrollers, portable gaming, 3d polygonal gaming, analogue controllers, wireless controllers, and touch screen gaming.

Don't forget motion controls and new ways to play. Gyro is something I don't think I could do without now and has made things more accessible for me since I have always been terrible with twin sticks in some kinds of games.

I don't think so considering it's not been a month since E3 :( But maybe he did one last Iwata Asks of Super Mario Maker!

Maybe not :(

Well just about everything Nintendo releases within the next 2-3 years was ran by him and he approved it. So we still have stuff he green lit to be developed to play still. I hope his vison isn't tampered with much.

Diffense

Porcile

I don't really have any crazy stories to share, other than Satoru Iwata-era Nintendo definitely made me the mildly successful (but lazy, because I'm always playing Nintendo games) creative person I am today.

I was actually thinking about this other day, before we even heard the news, Way back in secondary school my friends and I would buy Nintendo gaming mags like NGC and ONM because we all had N64's, Gamecube's and GBA's etc. We all knew about Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie even back then. We used to read NGC and draw doodles of Miyamoto and Iwata in our notebooks (seriously.) Even as a dumbass kid, over twelve years ago, I knew and cared about the things they did and said. Did I know any other Japanese, middle-aged company CEO's and project managers? Hell no, but I knew Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie (Yamauchi too). Basically, my friends and I had a small cult of personality surrounding Nintendo employees.

When Revolution was being talked about, I definitely remember preaching the good word of Iwata to my friends. Looking back, that was weird for a 14 year old to be talking about game design and game graphics in that way. Naturally, I bought a Wii and loved the shit out of it, and of course I bought a Wii U too. I think I am an unabashed Nintendo fan for life. I don't know why I cared quite so much, but I know now it was mostly down to Iwata, who as a creative person and thinker, I really found a personal connection to. I am still influenced to this day by the things he was saying back then, and it permeates in pretty much everything I make.

I would have really liked to of met him, creative person to creative person, but thankfully his games, words and creations will always be there. I will miss his input at Nintendo; his goofy public appearances; Iwata Asks and all that stuff. But, I know his legacy will live on for a long time over there too, which as a massive Nintendo fan makes me really happy.

gamerMan

One thing I love about Iwata is he is very eloquent in the way he speaks and his ideology. It really surprises me now that he is gone how well he was able to articulate his thoughts. Here are some my favorite quotes.

On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.

My first creation was a baseball game. I don't think anyone can say it had bad graphics because it had no graphics. Gameplay was represented only by numbers. But when I saw my friends playing that game and having fun, it made me feel proud.

Think about this: someday our games won't look any better. What will we do then?

Some people put their money on the screen, but we decided to spend ours on the game experience. It is an investment in actual market disruption. Not simply to improve the market but disrupt it.

In our business, too often people with a fresh idea don't have a chance. I believe if Tetris were presented today, here is what the producer would be told: Go back, give me more levels, give me better graphics, give me cinematics, and you're probably going to need a movie license to sell that idea to the public. The producer would go away dejected. Today, Tetris might never be made.

Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone!

They really need to sell a hardcover book of every Iwata Asks dedicated to the memory of Mr. Iwata.
Not just that.

i 've been thinking about it since the first Iwata's asks back in the Wii days.

Shigesato Itoi should do a compilation work about stories, experiences and dialogues about various NIntendo creators, like Iwata and Miyamoto and even himself. There's some fantastic exchanges with these 3 figures around. This type of thing deserves exposure.

Thanks for this, the last part really got to me.
I tried staying away from this thread because it was too upsetting to think about, but I think in a way it helps to read interviews like this, along with all the comments here.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's not what this Iwata Asks says.
It was named HAL because that puts them ahead of IBM.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/zombiu/0/1
In his GDC 2005 "Heart of a Gamer" keynote though, he mentioned that they chose HAL based from the computer in the movie.

I think it's both. HAL is a memorable name referencing a popular movie, a popular computer, but HAL is also several letters higher than IBM so it all just fit into place and still referenced computers which is what they loved and believed in.

Vena

Here's something to appreciate that Iwata and others at Nintendo set into motion recently, and consider what we've already reaped from this program: Nintendo's Garage.

They set down the bricks of a new road for the future of the company only a year ago, and Iwata at least got to see one of the fruits of this labor in Splatoon go from unknown, quirky project to a phenomenon that has swept across his country, broken media boundaries, and popular culture.

And all of this from a trio of the "young and coming" of Nintendo, raised under Iwata and the environment he set up for the company.

HUELEN10

Here's something to appreciate that Iwata and others at Nintendo set into motion recently, and consider what we've already reaped from this program: Nintendo's Garage.

They set down the bricks of a new road for the future of the company only a year ago, and Iwata at least got to see one of the fruits of this labor in Splatoon go from unknown, quirky project to a phenomenon that has swept across his country, broken media boundaries, and popular culture.

And all of this from a trio of the "young and coming" of Nintendo, raised under Iwata and the environment he set up for the company.

Shit, I totally forgot about Garage.

He did so much in the last year of his life...

Manoko

I must be the only one feeling like this, because it makes little sense, but this upcoming New Year's eve will have a bittersweet feeling for me.

When someone I admire dies one year, it makes me feel so sad to see the "page turning" and getting into a new year, leaving him/her to the past.

I dread December 31st of this year.

Yarbskoo

I tried drawing something, but I couldn't create anything I was happy with.

This photo will have to do.
7AZXLLR.png

Thank you for everything, Iwata.

Odrion

Banned
I think even if you don't like what Nintendo does, you can never say they don't do it earnestly.

In an industry that is becoming seemingly more exploitative by the minute. An industry that is starting to prey on behavior conditioning for profit. The death of Iwata feels like whatever innocence that was left, a part of it is gone now.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Just for the record with regards to the HAL debate: Kubrick and the writer of the concurrent novel (Clarke) are both on the record as stating that the one letter shift from IBM is a coincidence, and since IBM helped a lot with the film the two were actually upset at the idea that HAL was named as a slam against them.

As is clearly stated in the novel (Chapter 16), HAL stands for Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. However, about once a week some character spots the fact that HAL is one letter ahead of IBM, and promptly assumes that Stanley and I were taking a crack at the estimable institution ... As it happened, IBM had given us a good deal of help, so we were quite embarrassed by this, and would have changed the name had we spotted the coincidence.

Just thought I'd mention that since I only recently learned that the IBM thing was indeed a coincidence.

zigg

In an industry that is becoming seemingly more exploitative by the minute. An industry that is starting to prey on behavior conditioning for profit. The death of Iwata feels like whatever innocence that was left, a part of it is gone now.
I think Nintendo is fostering people who will continue that legacy, thanks in no small part to Iwata shaping it that way.

Ansatz

Dumb question. The Banana pose was because it was a Donkey Kong themed direct right?

Or was he just holding bananas to be a bit of a goof ball?

The fruit staring meme was speculated to be hinting at Retro's next game being DKC5 but we never got a confirmation of that.

Then it became a meme, here's one with a carrot

Bill did it too with an orange

Nanashrew

Banned
Forgot I still had a bunch of Iwata Asks screenshots on my computer sharing them and laughing along with them. I'd always be there day 1 the moment a new Iwata Asks was posted.

My two favorites from the Splatoon Iwata Asks and Link Between World's Iwata Asks
2SELy1k.png

NJbb0lW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom