• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

wmHKA.gif

Where is this from?

Daaaaaaaamnnnnnnn

New office is kind of expected with all the hiring they have been doing.

I just continue to pray there is now a dedicated 3DS team to give me some donkey kong country dammit.

New office is kind of expected with all the hiring they have been doing.

I just continue to pray there is now a dedicated 3DS team to give me some donkey kong country dammit.

Agreed, if I remember correctly Rare had a handheld team that MS dissolved because they never made a gaming handheld. Retro can make a team and start Metroid Dread!

I don't want to be Mr Negative here but the OP cites Guardian, Nikkei and Wired as sources but not one of them actually features a story on this as far as I can see.

I'm concerned we're treating this "news" as gospel when it hasn't been properly proven yet.

NateDrake

I don't want to be Mr Negative here but the OP cites Guardian, Nikkei and Wired as sources but not one of them actually features a story on this as far as I can see.

I'm concerned we're treating this "news" as gospel when it hasn't been properly proven yet.

Shikamaru Ninja only shares information that is certain. He wouldn't post it if it were fake or unlikely.

ChaosXVI

Shikamaru Ninja is one of the most proven sources for insider-Nintendo stuff. He's probably one of like 3 people on the internet who knows any of Nintendo's inner workings.

On Retro Studios's apparent super-expansion: FUCKING YES!!! Maybe now we won't have to wait 3-4 years for a new game from them..I'm hoping they make a structure of say 2-3 medium sized teams, perhaps one 3DS dedicated.

With the retro studios expansion, I hope nintendo beefed up NST as well. Such an underrated developer, and technical wizards too. I really wish nintendo would just use the talented people over there for game development instead of just sitting on them and making them do VC emulation. But with the recent Hirokazu Yasuhara hiring who knows

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This news makes me happy. I've always bought my Nintendo platforms primarily for Nintendo games, so hopefully there will be a few more of them now. And more volume means the potential to experiment and cater to different demographics.

AzaK

Metroid Prime's a platformer? Other M?

Metroid Prime is most definitely a platformer. This is what makes it so awesome and the key thing they nailed when transitioning from 2d to 3d.

Other M still is to some degree but I would say less so, although I haven't completed it yet.

Metroid Prime is most definitely a platformer. This is what makes it so awesome and the key thing they nailed when transitioning from 2d to 3d.

Other M still is to some degree but I would say less so, although I haven't completed it yet.
So what is Prime closer to design wise, Ocarina of Time or Mario 64?

That's because the articles are from months and years ago, and this thread is nothing but speculation.

As i posted earlier and everyone continues to glaze over:
Andriasang article from February 2009 sourcing Nikkei news of a new Nintendo R&D building and another from July 2011 stating it was for 1500 people

Wired's attention seeking article claiming Miyamato was stepping down, from December 2011

Guardian's article from April 2012 clarifying Wired's mis-representation

Now go back and read the first post and see if you couldn't have written it yourself based on these articles.

Also note how the threat title is worded as if Satoru Iwata has recently made these comments - clearly he has not.
And note how it's worded as "Expected Changes" meaning there is no liability for any of the claims being made.
That isn't to say they might not happen - to be frank, based on the articles linked above they're all fairly simple conclusions of what's likely to happen in the near future.

And just to make it clear, yes Shikamaru Ninja is probably the worlds foremost expert in Nintendo staff members - his website is proof of that. But it's all discerned from publicly available information that he's collated into one spot.

He hasn't been a source of news ahead of time and i welcome anyone to prove me wrong, since i've been here for at least as long, and in that time only ever seen him post about historical, publicly available information.

onilink88

In your opinion. Which is not fact. :)

Where I'm standing the drought on the Wii and stuff like third parties not supporting Nintendo systems has help move things along. If you look at the 3DS launch Nintendo let third party's have a go at making an impact during the launch period and they all kinda came up short. Even when Nintendo is freeing them up to make money.

It's my opinion? That's how you address my argument? With a garbage cop-out? Well, it's okay, I guess. It's not like, at this point, I should expect anything better. I can concede to the fact that the 3DS launch was the result of a vendetta that third parties have against Nintendo. It absolutely could not have been a simple show of incompetence.

This makes no sense. Not compatible? What? I guess there's no such thing as a Nintendo development kit and all the middleware Nintendo licenses out...lol

You really have not got a clue.

Is there any use in me continuing to post? You seem to be having a great time coming up with my arguments for me. It's not like within the context of that post, I inferred that the archaic nature of the Wii's hardware became a roadblock to third parties running their engines and porting games from the PS3/360/PC- games that, had they appeared on the Wii, we wouldn't see as many people complaining that they used it as a "shovelware dumping ground". It's totally unreasonable that they would not want to dedicate resources to building games from the ground up for the Wii via Nintendo middleware or otherwise and not work with tools that they're already familiar with and can get the best of.

Some yes...could have been better...

Yes, every platform from the dawn of time could have profited from having more great software. What's your point? Mine's is that by the end of the Wii's lifetime, the there was an acceptable volume of decent third party offerings.

Wii reached critical mass for shovelware.

Not on such a large scale no...not even the PS2 had the amount of rubbish the Wii ended up with.

"Not on such a large scale no...not even the Cube had the amount of rubbish the PS2 ended up with."

Guess they had it in for Sony at the time, too, eh?

Wow! Let me get this straight you respond to one of my posts...I reply back and you now wanna run away? You want a one way debate.

I figured that it would be a practice in futility to continue arguing with someone who might as well be attempting to argue the validity of geocentric theory. But now I'm curious to see to what fantastical lengths you're going to take this.

What a knob! Run along then.

Are all conspiracy theorists this rude?

-------------------------------------------

I'm new, and so I'm not yet acquainted with all the known personalities here. I know certain posters have shticks like playful trolling, dressing their posts in sarcasm, or just being downright obnoxious. Is the person I'm arguing with one such personality? Is he some manner of video game satirist? Or does he genuinely believe the nonsense that he drips onto his keyboard? Or perhaps I'm the one who has a flawed understanding of the industry?

Ok so you didn't read the thread.

Could you maybe just help the guy out and give him what he's looking for instead of just telling him to read the thread over and over? Not everyone has the time to read through 12 pages of stuff to find one relevant post - since you so clearly HAVE read the thread then why not just share the knowledge instead of turning all Professor Layton on him?

Orgen

That's because the articles are from months and years ago, and this thread is nothing but speculation.

Andriasang article from February 2009 sourcing Nikkei news of a new Nintendo R&D building and another from July 2011 stating it was for 1500 people

Wired's attention seeking article claiming Miyamato was stepping down, from December 2011

Now go back and read the first post and see if you couldn't have written it yourself based on these articles.

Also note how the threat title is worded as if Satoru Iwata has recently made these comments - clearly he has not.
And note how it's worded as "Expected Changes" meaning there is no liability for any of the claims being made.
That isn't to say they might not happen - to be frank, based on the articles linked above they're all fairly simple conclusions of what's likely to happen in the near future.

And just to make it clear, yes Shikamaru Ninja is probably the worlds foremost expert in Nintendo staff members - his website is proof of that. But it's all discerned from publicly available information that he's collated into one spot.

He hasn't been a source of news ahead of time and i welcome anyone to prove me wrong, since i've been here for at least as long, and in that time only ever seen him post about historical, publicly available information.

More people need to read this. I'm sorry but Shikamaru hasn't proved to be a Nintendo insider (not saying he isn't one).

Oersted

Nice find dude, nice find.

@MUWANdo

Banned

See, this is what I asked about on the first page of this thread, and many people have asked about since, only to be met with "read the thread/are you new here?/because SHIKAMARU". Props for finally setting things straight.

EDIT: and, just as I predicted, this was posted as news on a bunch of different sites over the weekend.

GCX

More people need to read this. I'm sorry but Shikamaru hasn't proved to be a Nintendo insider (not saying he isn't one).
To my knowledge Shikamaru isn't a Nintendo insider since he hasn't ever posted any information that wasn't available to the public one way or another. He just keeps up with what Nintendo teams are working on better than anyone else and because of that he's probably the best Nintendo expert on GAF.

@MUWANdo

Banned
To my knowledge Shikamaru isn't a Nintendo insider since he hasn't ever posted any information that wasn't available to the public one way or another. He just keeps up with what Nintendo teams are working on better than anyone else and because of that he's probably the best Nintendo expert on GAF.

I asked him for sources and he said something about being friends with EAD employees on Facebook, so I stopped pressing the point because I'd hardly expect him to start naming individuals just to satiate some dude on the internet.

GCX

People doubting the ninja? Really? He's a god damned NINJA!
I don't think anyone's really doubting him because most of the stuff in the OP will probably happen in the near future. The problem is that he states everything as a fact when many things are clearly just conclusions gathered from different sources, not definite facts. A title like "Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview" kinda makes you think everything came straight from Iwata which isn't true.

@MUWANdo

Banned
People doubting the ninja? Really? He's a god damned NINJA!

It's not about questioning the accuracy of what he's saying, it's about ascertaining how much of it is fact and how much of it is conjecture, and how much of it is actual new "insider" info as opposed to speculative guesswork based on publicly-available articles written by other people.

watershed

Banned
Putting Iwata's name in the title of the thread is a little odd considering there's not a single quote or source in the OP. If such changes are in the works they obviously happen with the approval if not design of Iwata himself but without quotes or source its not right.

Cipherr

Its really not all that serious. Who really cares...... Retro has a bigger building dudes. Stop obsessing over nothing. Im sure a mod will edit Iwatas name out of the title if it means that much to some people.

Orgen

The way he's worded the thread, people thinking these are news when it's all (informed) speculation... what will happen if Sakurai doesn't go to EAD?

Shiggy

He knows his stuff ;)
But on NeoGAF there are many people even doubting the most obvious things. Everything's just pure speculation unless there's a press release from the company itself, right?

Its really not all that serious. Who really cares...... Retro has a bigger building dudes. Stop obsessing over nothing. Im sure a mod will edit Iwatas name out of the title if it means that much to some people.

Pretty much.

Ninja has a really good rep with this kinda stuff ... which I'm sure is why this thread is still open and mods haven't smacked it down.

Ninja knows what's good, no reason to doubt him from what I can see.

GCX

EAD Ninja got the tag for a reason. Stop doubting. Start believing.
But no one is doubting, just offering some constructive critisism for future threads. I'm sure everyone is glad Shikamaru takes time to do all this research.

Top Bottom