• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

Boney

Banned
So how long was it that the 2002 structure was visibly effective to us the consumers. What new strategies, management and philosophies came from it other than the inmediate closing of R&D1 and R&D2.

I'm guessing Nintendo DS would be the shining example of this?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Takashi Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager

Hmmm...

*Googles Takashi Tezuka to see the list of games he worked on*

Devil World – designer (with Shigeru Miyamoto
Super Mario Bros. – designer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (The Lost Levels) – designer
The Legend of Zelda – director, designer, and writer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
Super Mario Bros. 3 – designer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
Super Mario World – main director
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – director
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening – director
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island – director (with others)
BS The Legend of Zelda – designer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
BS The Legend of Zelda: Inishie no Sekiban – supervisor
Yoshi's Story – producer
Super Mario 64 - assistant director (with Yoshiaki Koizumi)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – supervisor (with Toshihiko Nakago)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask – supervisor
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages – supervisor (with others)
Luigi's Mansion – producer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
Pikmin – progress management (with others)
Animal Crossing – producer
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – producer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – supervisor (with others)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures – supervisor (with Toshihiko Nakago)
Pikmin 2 – producer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door – character supervisor (with others)
Yoshi Touch & Go – producer
Animal Crossing: Wild World – producer (with Katsuya Eguchi)
New Super Mario Bros. – general producer
New Super Mario Bros. Wii – producer (with Hiroyuki Kimura)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 – producer (with Yoshiaki Koizumi)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - producer

ibjkljZMYIf19m.gif

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
2013 Expected Iwata Changes
+ Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving 3 R&D buildings
+ Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

Source: Guardian UK. Nikkei. Wired.

igCXm26eeExlA.gif

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So how long was it that the 2002 structure was visibly effective to us the consumers. What new strategies, management and philosophies came from it other than the inmediate closing of R&D1 and R&D2.

Part of the 2002 restructure, as best I remember the original Japanese GC-Inside report, and random bits is.

1- Takehiro Izushi and Masayuki Uemura, General Managers of R&D1 and R&D2 were retiring from the position. Uemura was retiring from Nintendo period.
2 - Both R&D1 and R&D2 had software and hardware departments within the division and I think Iwata wanted to separate that.
3 - Maybe he didn't like the old generic names.

Nintendo SPD is Iwata's creation basically. The developer which is hardly known by anyone outside of Nintendo has a load of functions from developing internal software for hardware, developing previous touch generation games like Brain-Age, developing downloadable software like Photo Dojo, and planning and producing games with partner developers like Metroid: Other M.

Well, i found a source for the 'news' of Takashi Tezuka 'becoming' General Manager of EAD.

Except it's from the past and it already happened.

Bit confusing but let me clarify.

Shigeru Miyamoto is the General Manager of Entertainment Analysis & Development Division, Takashi Tezuka is the General Manager of EAD Software Development Department (Kyoto and Tokyo), and Takao Sawano is the General Manager of EAD Technology Development Department. EAD is the division, which has three large departments, each department has several groups. Tezuka and Sawano are one level down.

*vomits*

Yay, linear set-piece experiences!

*dies*

I feel the same way. Just let japanese games be what they are, no need to ruin every single thing on the planet just to satisfy male egos and tastes in western countries. Im from the US btw. I hate the constant need to "westernize" everything.

Reversed

I feel the same way. Just let japanese games be what they are, no need to ruin every single thing on the planet just to satisfy male egos and tastes in western countries. Im from the US btw. I hate the constant need to "westernize" everything.

I don't follow. For instance, Miyamoto constrained Retro's projects for the GameCube to get Metroid Prime.

MisterHero

Has Miyamoto developed games for other company's besides Nintendo? Has he been tempted to join other gaming company's?
He was with Nintendo before they were fully committed to videogames. Miyamoto was given creative freedom with minimal financial risk to the company, so he was pretty satisfied with his position.

2013 Expected Iwata Changes
+ Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving 3 R&D buildings
+ Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

Source: Guardian UK. Nikkei. Wired.
Sh!t....

Iwata forgot to dissolve the cuarrent Zelda team which ever division they are in, bomb that thing into oblivion.

The series needs a relief team as fast as possible.

PhantomR

Banned
Um...

All I'm going to say is, you need to have VERY high level sources in order to know information like this....especially the bits about Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Sakurai. This smells like BS to me, but I'm very happy to eat crow if news comes out later proving me wrong.

apana

I don't think its about money with them. They have plenty of it. Its about control and philosophy. Western developers are constantly switching Studios and Nintendo has a talent Pool structure that is very different from the single teams in the west. Retro helping to finish Mario kart 7 is an example of this.

It's a longterm investment. The Yen could drop noticeably in the next few years. And to me, it seems like Nintendo (Iwata) hasn't figured out a good longterm strategy for western development yet.

That makes sense, I suppose they can still invest in the West in other ways. They might not expand development, they will probably use the money to work with third party partners and get some ports of notable third party games. They also licensed the use of some engines for Wii U recently.

mgcastro

lol

I have always associated Miyamoto with Nintendo, but since you see many western devs jumping ship frequently, I thought, why would it be any different with Nintendo devs? maybe it's a Japanese culture thing?

I'm very ignorant of Japanese culture so bare with me.

I have no idea if this info is legit or not but I think something like this definitely needs to happen. Miyamoto has talked before about wanting to step down/work on smaller games but he hasn't actually done that and I wish he would.

Makonero

lol

I have always associated Miyamoto with Nintendo, but since you see many western devs jumping ship frequently, I thought, why would it be any different with Nintendo devs? maybe it's a Japanese culture thing?

Well, I'm an expert in Japanese culture and...

Aw, hell, that joke is played out, isn't it?

F#A#Oo

Banned
No bearing whatsoever. And what contempt by devs/pubs?

Developers and publishers treat Nintendo platforms like they are a wasteland...They like to think they are above having to put out content for Nintendo systems. As people like to point out leaving money on the table with the Wii more recently.

Nintendo systems have a stigma attached to them where developers and publishers have taken it upon themselves to not touch the Nintendo systems because of a perceived/imagined lack of a market for their games.

Gamer's do the same thing. Bayonetta 2 for example is supposedly too good a franchise to go on the kiddie Nintendo system to the point that people needed to bust out with death threats.

I really don't see how Tezuka would be any better than Miyamoto for people getting excited. For all the people wanting to see crap ton of new IPs, he's basically been leading the charge behind the NSMB series and how conservative it should be.

AniHawk

+1

*fingers crossed* Leave Miyamoto, leave! Just take a long vacation, you don't even need to focus on small resource games. We love and appreciate you contribution to gaming and all that, truly!

small resource games is an awesome place for miyamoto to be. i think he wants to get back to the way teams were in the 80s. what's so wrong about that?

small resource games is an awesome place for miyamoto to be. i think he wants to get back to the way teams were in the 80s. what's so wrong about that?

Exactly, he should have a small team of people to make little games with whatever innovation he wants instead of trying to shove things like blowing into DKCR. He could probably direct some pretty cool Wii U shop games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
lol

The answer is yes, it's a Japanese culture thing. Employment in a company is typically for life.

But times do change and the likes of Inafune have left their company... Anything's possible but I doubt it for Miyamoto.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Exactly, he should have a small team of people to make little games with whatever innovation he wants instead of trying to shove things like blowing into DKCR. He could probably direct some pretty cool Wii U shop games.

Wait blowing was Miyamoto's idea?

Wait blowing was Miyamoto's idea?

Yep, like I can see why he thinks some ideas would be cool, but honestly he's not involved enough with individual games anymore to be making call like that. Now if he wants to go make his own 5 dollar game based around that concept that would be cool.

gaheris

I don't know any other company that Miyamoto would have as much freedom, control or influence than he has at the House of Mario since he helped build it from scratch. That is why I can't ever see him leaving, it would be a huge blow to Nintendo, so much so that I think they would do everything they can to not have that happen.

Brera

Banned
Better late then never.

If Nintendo were on the ball, they would have done it starting in 2009 when their software dried up and the Wii died!

GDGF

Soothsayer
EAD Ninja knows what he's talking about. He's been around since pre GAF. He's been vetted and proven correct on numerous occasions over the years.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Tookay

A lot of this sounds like it's too-good-to-be true, to to the point where I'm wary to get my hopes up.

But Shinkamaru Ninja's trustworthy, so...

jmls1121

Banned
Miyamoto has been asked if he would leave, and he has said no, because in his word Nintendo is the most innovative company in gaming. The only other job he has said he would take is teaching at a university

Top Bottom