• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia executes 47 terrorism convicts including top Shia cleric

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Actually Al Nimr was calling for open conflict with Al Sauds and said his loyalty was with Iran. Saudi Arabian government is fucked up for executing him. But it is what it is. Tweets from Kirk H. Sowell below:

I read all of Kirk H. Sowel's tweets and nowhere do I see anything suggesting that he was calling for open conflict with the Sauds. Naturally, any calls for government reform will be hostile to the royal family. What you posted basically shows that he was executed for mocking a royal family member.

I read all of Kirk H. Sowel's tweets and nowhere do I see anything suggesting that he was calling for open conflict with the Sauds. Naturally, any calls for government reform will be hostile to the royal family. What you posted basically shows that he was executed for mocking a royal family member.
Well he did mock prince Naef's death. The point is such rhetoric from even a Sunni cleric would be fast tracked to hell.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well he did mock prince Naef's death. The point is such rhetoric from even a Sunni cleric would be fast tracked to hell.

I saw Kirk Sowell claim that as well, is there any evidence of a high profile Sunni cleric mocking the royal family and then getting a fast tracked execution?

Seems more like al-Nimr's execution was dragged out because he was a high profile figure and the case was high profile with a lot of international attention, rather than him being a Shia.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I heard Nimr called for the establishment of Wilayat al Faqih (or similar system) in the country but don't know how true that is. Could someone more familiar with the situation confirm/deny?

Rad Agast

CHEEZMO™;191034311 said:
I heard Nimr called for the establishment of Wilayat al Faqih (or similat system) in the country but don't know how true that is. Could someone more familiar with the situation confirm/deny?

I doubt it. Rumors and false accusations will keep piling up to justify the actions taken by the government.

Yeah a majority of those executed were Sunni Al-Qaeda members and a top official from that group...

The Shia Cleric isn't also sunshine and rainbows as some press are trying to make him to be (since I was curious a few months ago and looked up the guys past actions)

Still executing the guy is too much but I am guessing this is more of a message then plainly hating the dude

His son though should be freed

We just need to back away from this crazy Iran vs Saudi battle.... both sides do terrible things and executing a ton of people to prove a point (Iran actually even executes more then SA)

The lens just changes form time to time on who we focus on and who is a good business partner

Can somebody answer me why, where Saudi Arabia:

- commits political executions
- use abhorrent methods of torture and execution such as crucifixion
- have a medieval human and gender rights record
- where 15 of 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudi
- where bin Laden was Saudi
- where the National Commercial Bank effectively funded anti-Western terror groups

That they still get away with it.

If this was another nation, such as Libya, Iraq or Syria, it would have been bombed by the US to the stone ages by now. If it was what the US perceives as an unfriendly nation, such as Russia or the PRC, the press and politicians would be screaming by now.

So, why do the Sauds get away with this?

This is an interesting movie that many people never saw.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriana

hxa155

So much for the "peaceful" protestor image of this guy then.

The Saudi regime considers protests, secularism and atheism to be terrorism. It's literally the law. You shouldn't trust their mouthpiece's justification for his execution. And no he was not calling for an Islamic system like Iran's and doesn't have any ties with that country, like the Saudi government claims.

It's his nephew not his son.

Ah my bad... thanks for correct me

44 of the 47 executed were Sunni (mostly Al-Qaeda members) apparently one of those executed was the person who shot BBC journalist Frank Gardner which put him in a wheelchair....

most of these guys were in Jail for 15 years before their execution today

Al-Qaeda did a press release calling for retaliation and for the 4 Shias who were executed, 2 Saudi Embassies were set on ablaze (one with a RPG in Iraq)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom