• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Royal Decree on Easing some rules on Women Guardianship

Started seeing this pop up on my twitter feed so I assumed it was something to make a thread about...

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/Ne...e-guardian-consents-to-receive-services-.html
Saudi King Salman has issued an order, which will free women from having to obtain a consent from their male guardians in order to receive services.

The change, however, should not contradict the Islamic sharia, the order said.

Saudi media outlets said that the new order includes as well the mobility to work places, unless there is a legal basis in accordance with the provisions of Islamic Sharia.

Saudi women has long needed the permission from their mahram - a male relative who it would be unacceptable to marry such as brother or father - to travel outside the country, accompany them to verify their identity at government institutes or file a police complaint.

The king required all governmental organizations to squeeze their workflow based on to the new change, and to identify all requirements that include the guardian's approval as a condition to complete any action or obtain any service.

The king also demanded the lifting of the male guardianship within three months and required government institutes to make the order public on their official websites.

In addition, the Ministry of Labor and Social Development is required to provide the means of transportation for women workers, depending on the available resources and in accordance with the provisions of the Labor Law.

The order came after the approval of proposals by the Saudi Council of Ministers to find solutions pertaining to women's rights.

Media Speculation (likely on further rulings):

------------------------------------
أمر سامٍ بتمكين المرأة السعودية من الخدمات دون اشتراط موافقة ولي أمرها.

Has ordered the empowerment of Saudi women from services without the consent of their guardian.

So far it is somewhat vague but it seems something is going on. More info may pour in.

Any SaudiGAF members have a more clearer picture?

Kolx

I find it strange the government is yet to allow women to drive even when it made some huge decision (I'd argue they're as big) like women in parliament or opening many jobs to them that were men only before and now this.

It looks like guardian approval is still needed for traveling/studying abroad, but at least women can now finish government paperwork and open bank accounts without a guardian approval.

I find it strange the government is yet to allow women to drive even when it made some huge decision (I'd argue they're as big) like women in parliament or opening many jobs to them that were men only before and now this.

there were rumors since march about the goverment discussing this issue but who knows if it will actually come to fruition

baby steps

Top Bottom