• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save Sony!

Jonnyram

It seems SCE is having difficulty running their massively popular PlayStation brand. Let's give them some ideas to regain some of the power they had for the vast part of this millennium.

My idea: New PS2 model
It would be relatively high end - sleek design, internal HDD, possibly an upscaler, range of video output options, wireless controllers.
Expand PSN to sell PS2 games; stick PSN on new PS2. New PS2 can download and run PS1 and PS2 titles, also movies and music (natch).
To avoid redundancy, use most of same tech used in current PS3 (controller, memory card emulation on HDD, PSN store).
Reinstate a PS3 with PS2 b/c so that PS2 games on PSN can also be available to PS3 owners.
Profit.

Price range: $200-$250
Put it in direct competition with the Wii, bundle in some SCE classics, preinstalled on the HDD to make it appealing.

Sydle

$299 PS3 and some games for the PSP would be a great start.

Actually, it looks like some good games are coming for the PSP in 2009, so I'll settle for a $299 PS3.

Tobor

Jonnyram said:
It seems SCE is having difficulty running their massively popular PlayStation brand. Let's give them some ideas to regain some of the power they had for the vast part of this millennium.

My idea: New PS2 model
It would be relatively high end - sleek design, internal HDD, possibly an upscaler, range of video output options, wireless controllers.
Expand PSN to sell PS2 games; stick PSN on new PS2. New PS2 can download and run PS1 and PS2 titles, also movies and music (natch).
To avoid redundancy, use most of same tech used in current PS3 (controller, memory card emulation on HDD, PSN store).
Reinstate a PS3 with PS2 b/c so that PS2 games on PSN can also be available to PS3 owners.
Profit.

Price range: $200-$250
Put it in direct competition with the Wii, bundle in some SCE classics, preinstalled on the HDD to make it appealing.

I would buy this in a heartbeat. I would camp out for this.

purg3

slept with Malkin
where the fack are the rpgs? some of this shit is taking way too long to come out too.

oh yeah, drop the price morans.

Awntawn

Use the combined 4D capabilities of all of the PS3s that they can't sell and go back in time. Then take all that money they spent on funding LAIR, and instead of funding LAIR, give it to third party developers are generous "gifts" to make sure their exclusives stay exclusive. Like GTA4. And make God of War 2 HD and on PS3. Then go to that meeting where they decided that Home was going to be such an awesome idea and say, "it's not."

Pachael

Why not just donate money to Sony? There's flexibility and contentment in sending your favorite companies cheques with cash.

I just find it incredible that the Playstation brand has one from being "The One", to practically nothing.

When the Playstation came out, anyone who admitted to owning a SNES or N64 at school was laughed at, and the less said about the Saturn owners the better. Even in the PS2 era it was largely the same. It's baffling how Sony managed to screw this whole thing up so badly.

legend166

You really think a revamped PS2, focusing entirely on digital distribution, at a $200 price point, is going to save Sony?

Is this a joke thread?

Jonnyram

devilhawk said:
Would be cool but it would never happen. Sony wouldn't want to take attention away from the PS3.
What Sony should be doing is looking at where they are making money and tap those sources to make more money. Bizarrely PS2 is still big business for them. The number of software releases is still quite high, yet the hardware sales have slowed down. The PS2 needs a push in hardware sales and that's what I'm suggesting, mainly.

purg3

slept with Malkin
flabberghastly said:

sorry, you missed the joke.

16m6p2d.jpg

Chrange

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Isn't the PS3 already set to overtake the 360 within the next few years? Not sure why you should be worried Johnny.

I've seen charts that show it selling like 40 million next year. NO WORRIES!

AFreak

Banned
Jonnyram said:
What Sony should be doing is looking at where they are making money and tap those sources to make more money. Bizarrely PS2 is still big business for them. The number of software releases is still quite high, yet the hardware sales have slowed down. The PS2 needs a push in hardware sales and that's what I'm suggesting, mainly.

Or, maybe, they should use the money they are gaining from PS2 and put it towards driving down costs and upping software for the PS3...Oh yeah, it's what Sony IS doing because they aren't fucking retarded.

Release Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo mobile yesterday.

second and fifth best selling games last generation, there is no real current gen version, there is no mobile version period. What the fuck.

Guled

Gassey said:
Stop listening to the fans and start listening to the critics?
Awful idea, what Sony needs to do is think outside the box more, don't try to do what the wii and 360 are doing bit come up with your own stuff. Blue ray was an awesome idea, but it ended up making them lose market share (I'm sure they would make more $ off blue ray then $ lost on the ps3)

Lower the price of the PS3 to $150, lose tons of money, then ask for a government bailout.

P.S. Don't invite David Reeves to the bailout meetings cause he'll just fuck it up.

Grayman

If there was an easy way for Sony to make more money they would be doing it.

PS1 or 2(but most systems cannot play it) games on PSN won't move hardware.
Game development has taken too long for the first party to make up for the price and marketshare failings.

Rhindle

TheGreatDave said:
Raising the price has been a winning plan so far, I say go for it. Maybe put out a higher end PS3 for $600 next Christmas.
Also, I'll bet they could really save some costs by dropping PS3 compatibility.

Chrange

Banned
AFreak said:
Or, maybe, they should use the money they are gaining from PS2 and put it towards driving down costs and upping software for the PS3...Oh yeah, it's what Sony IS doing because they aren't fucking retarded.

With only a $400 SKU on the market they brought out a new SKU just in time for Christmas...at $500. That's not retarded?

Sydle

Android18a said:
I just find it incredible that the Playstation brand has one from being "The One", to practically nothing.

When the Playstation came out, anyone who admitted to owning a SNES or N64 at school was laughed at, and the less said about the Saturn owners the better. Even in the PS2 era it was largely the same. It's baffling how Sony managed to screw this whole thing up so badly.

Not really when you think how they practically built up the casual gamer audience for a decade and then released a console "people need two jobs to afford." In other words, they no longer resonate with the casuals, not with the 360 available.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
KeiichiInafune said:
Lower the price of the PS3 to $150, lose tons of money, then ask for a government bailout.

I'm sure that's already been thought over by Howard Stringer, but being sued by Microsoft and Nintendo for dumping wouldn't be very good.

blue999new

Neo Member
Please drop the price to 299 at least,or the coming 2009 is just a copy of 2008 and even worse。The PlayStation is just like an old friend,and dont want to say goodbye yet。

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd buy one of those. My PS2 is pretty borked.

Just put an HDD on it so I can "legally" install my ps2 games, then I'd be down, especially if developers started to make games for it again. Also get rid of the regional shit.

AFreak

Banned
Chrange said:
With only a $400 SKU on the market they brought out a new SKU just in time for Christmas...at $500. That's not retarded?

It's not if you're Sony. Honestly, they lose less moeny on the 500 than the 400 model.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Android18a said:
I just find it incredible that the Nintendo brand has one from being "The One", to practically nothing.

When the NES came out, anyone who admitted to owning an Atari or Intellivision at school was laughed at, and the less said about the Master System owners the better. Even in the SNES era it was largely the same. It's baffling how Nintendo managed to screw this whole thing up so badly.
History tends to repeat itself.

Puck

Banned
find a way to do full software emulation for ps3.
my 40gb demands it.
i'm sick of cleaning the dust off my ps2 to play god of war. and do popular ps2 games on psn. all the top sellers.

Kccitystar

Jonnyram said:

1) If this is the case, then they should begin either publishing their best selling titles on the PSN or accelerate R&D on PS2 emulation on the PS3 on non-hardware/software BC.
2) Both PS3 SKUs should include an HDMI cable and bluetooth headset along with a DS3 controller.

legend166

Jonnyram said:

Who's going to be buying this new PS2? The hardcore set who might actually care about those features bought a PS2 8 years ago. And even if they did decide to buy en masse, that'll probably get 1 million more sales. Or maybe it will appeal to that mystical group of people who have been sitting around thinking "you know what, I'm going to wait until they release a DD PS2, instead of buying one right now."

Even then, a bump in PS2 hardware sales will mean dick.

Top Bottom