• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save Sony!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
timetokill said:
1. Use huge stack of unsold PS3s to harness 4D power and go back in time
2. Invest in Nintendo
3. Profit!

Only to arrive back in Alternative 2008 and find a legion of Sony-Nintendo fanboys. No thanks.

Link

The Autumn Wind
industrian said:
Only to arrive back in Alternative 2008 and find a legion of Sony-Nintendo fanboys. No thanks.
250px-Familyguy-bttf2.jpg

Couldn't find the original image, so this will have to do.

10 Ways You Can Help Sony Playstation Every Day

1. Volunteer with local community groups to stencil storm drains, Adopt A Beach, or monitor the water quality of local watersheds. Organize your classroom, school club, or organization to clean litter from rivers, creeks, estuaries, and beaches.Did you know? Storm water pollution (urban runoff) is the leading cause of water pollution nationwide.Pollutants such as motor oil, antifreeze, detergents, litter, paint, pesticides, pet waste, and copper (from brake pads) are flushed off streets and into storm drains which lead straight to rivers, creeks, and the oceans.

2. Participate in 'Save The Playstation' letter writing campaigns with your classroom, club, or church group. Invite friends over for a “letter writing” party. Print letters from Save The Sony Playstation “Action Alert” section under the Take Action. One letter from an individual to a government official represents the opinion of hundreds of people. Letters are powerful tools of influence.

3. Cut up plastic six-pac rings before recycling or disposing them in the garbage. Thousands of Dualshocks, Blu-Rays, and other Playstation 3 peripherals die needlessly from entanglement.

4.Pick up trash while walking in your neighborhoods. Participate in National Coastal Clean Up Day (September) www.coastforyou.org to prevent pollution in watersheds and storm drains. Did you know that? One of the most common sources of beach pollution is cigarette butts. They can take up to seven years to breakdown. Last year, over one million cigarette butts were removed by volunteers during National Coastal Clean Up Day.

5. Never release balloons outside as they can travel hundreds of miles and land in rivers, creeks, and oceans. Playstation 3s, Playstation 2s and Playstations Portables can be killed by ingesting balloons mistaken for jellyfish. See Save The Playstation “Balloon Alert” flyer in English and Spanish. Educate your schools or community businesses not to participate in balloon releases. A 60 foot sperm Playstation washed up dead from ingesting a balloon which blocked its stomach and caused it to starve.

6. Keep your car well maintained to prevent leaks onto roadways and driveways which cause water pollution. Carpool when possible, or ride a bike. Recycle used motor oil for free. Take hazardous waste such as paint, pesticides, and antifreeze to a hazardous waste site. Call 1-800- CLEAN-UP or visit www.cleanup.org for the free drop off location near you.

7. Never discard used fishing line and hooks in the water. This can entangle a Sony Playstation and cause the death of these consoles.

8.Never dump anything in the street as it goes into the storm drains which travel straight to rivers, creeks, and ultimately the oceans without being cleaned. Did you know that? One quart of motor oil can pollute 250,000 gallons of water. A drop of oil the size of a dime stuck on a Sony Playstation 3 can kill them. They die from hypothermia (freezing to death).

9.Recycle, Reuse and Reduce. Landfills across the nation are filling up with discarded items and refuse. Hazardous waste thrown in the garbage, ends up in landfills where it leeches into the soil and ground water causing contamination. Reduce your refuse by recycling, reusing and composting. Plant an organic garden free of pesticides.

10.Buy products that are environmentally friendly and support organic farming.

Save The Sony Playstations
A Nonprofit Organization
1192 Waring St.
Seaside, CA 93955
www.savethesonyplaystations.org

2dt89k6.jpg

Troidal

They'll need a 70 billion dollar bail out package.
Actually, if the game industry would collapse, would the government create a stimulus package to save the industry??? Interesting question, no?

Anyhow, back on topic...

1. They need more games. And I don't mean multiplatform games because it's shit on PS3, therefore I end up buying the 360 version. What PS3 needs is its own exclusive games, and they have to be good games too. Hyping sequels to popular titles like MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII for like 2-3 years ain't gonna cut it.

2. Backwards compatibility. I have the original 20GB so its a non issue for me, but I've had people saying they want that feature back. It does make sense, especially if such feature existed in the first place. So...why not bring it back??

3. Online. As in get your shit together. I don't care if it's free...I pay $50 for Xbox Live and I rather be doing that than use a POS online system for free.

Night_Trekker said:
So Sony is going to stay the course with a traditional machine when the Wii continues to sell out regularly? I doubt it.

Meh, I don't understand how some people think the HD twins will try to stay "hardcore" next gen (w/e that means . .. focused on teenage males I guess).

I can clearly see MS making a "Mii too" console . . . Sony, IDK. They have a history with the "Me too!" angle as we all know but they don't seem to understand what made their PS line successful in the first place given their BS with the PS3. I could see them fucking up again . . . if there is an "again" lined up for them :eek:.

Kevtones

Then when Microsoft releases their refined Xbox hardware, everyone will realize the whole concept was a stupid one in the first place.

industrian

Link said:
250px-Familyguy-bttf2.jpg

Couldn't find the original image, so this will have to do.

I was going to make a Photoshop of the USA Today from Back to the Future 2 denoting Sony-Nintendo buying over Microsoft, then I noticed the Queen Diana reference... I'm not going there. :p

Ploid 3.0

Night_Trekker said:
So Sony is going to stay the course with a traditional machine when the Wii continues to sell out regularly? I doubt it.

You mean sony should go backwards and release a console that's the same as wii? Nintendo didn't do that with wii, they used tech similar to GC. What I said is something that would be similar to PS3. Securing a GPU that's not as expensive as the one they have in ps3 won't be hard, and gpu's don't get worse with time. They are made better. Memory wouldn't be as expensive as it was when PS3 was in development, and so on. What I said had nothing to do with making another beast of a cpu (EE, Cell) but an existing one that's always being improved on (made smaller, more efficient etc).

A wii version of PS3 (no waggle remote, or balance boards) is what I was imagining. They won't have to spend much money on that, and it should be cheap for me to grab.

deadatom

Banned
1)buy split-fish and make frag-fx controller an official alternative to the ds3 or make it mandatory for shooter developers to include mouse and keyboard support (on condition that there are seperate servers similar to how ut3 handled it) for hardcore gamers

2) give an option for 3rd party devs to sell games on psn and in retail

3) make that glove controller or split ds3 controller for casual gamers and its associated games

4) fire thier ad agenency.. i could make better ads then them for fucks sake..

5) hire a bunch of professional trolls that go on various consumer forums and mention rrod and how great a device ps3 is (its da best by the way!)

6) cut the price by $100

7) expand on the clubs idea and integrate it with the xmb in some form. Also add clan tags in the psn that will automatically register with every mp game

8) hire yakuza to get japanese devs under control..

9) when religious people start bitching about shit like in resistance or LBP. ignore them. they aren't youre target audience. Pope aint a gamer

10) stop getting into stupid lawsuits... these patent cases are so retarded and a major loss.. hire some decent laywers

i dunno.. most of this is real some are jokes with underlying truth to them

cvxfreak

I think Sony would need something equivalent to the Wiimote to make such a hardware modification effective. Not only that, but a real gameplan that harnesses Sony's top franchises and gives the company direction. Sony must also be willing to give up potential revenue from BD.

Jonny's idea sounds like a PS2 meshed with an AppleTV, actually.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
deadatom said:
8) hire yakuza to get japanese devs under control..
wat?
deadatom said:
9) when religious people start bitching about shit like in resistance or LBP. ignore them. they aren't youre target audience. Pope aint a gamer
By that logic, as soon as you're not a gamer, you're not supposed to say anything about games, right? What a stupid statement.

deadatom said:
i dunno.. most of this is real some are jokes with underlying truth to them
I dunno.. It's more like you've just thrown a bag full of cats onto the highway and try to justify it with "just a joke guys"..

industrian

deadatom said:
7) expand on the clubs idea and integrate it with the xmb in some form. Also add clan tags in the psn that will automatically register with every mp game

I originally had the idea that the Clubs idea could eventually become some sort of integrated Clans list. Then I found out that Sony want to charge for the clubs and died a little inside.

industrian

deadatom said:
5) hire a bunch of professional trolls that go on various consumer forums and mention rrod and how great a device ps3 is (its da best by the way!)

I'm checking your post history just incase you've mentioned RROD, just so this post can come full circle.

PARANO1A

Jonnyram said:
It seems SCE is having difficulty running their massively popular PlayStation brand. Let's give them some ideas to regain some of the power they had for the vast part of this millennium.

My idea: New PS2 model
It would be relatively high end - sleek design, internal HDD, possibly an upscaler, range of video output options, wireless controllers.
Expand PSN to sell PS2 games; stick PSN on new PS2. New PS2 can download and run PS1 and PS2 titles, also movies and music (natch).
To avoid redundancy, use most of same tech used in current PS3 (controller, memory card emulation on HDD, PSN store).
Reinstate a PS3 with PS2 b/c so that PS2 games on PSN can also be available to PS3 owners.
Profit.

Price range: $200-$250
Put it in direct competition with the Wii, bundle in some SCE classics, preinstalled on the HDD to make it appealing.
They should promise it so we can wait for it.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
If it takes even more pain for Sony to realize just how out of touch they have become... Hand me a stick.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I think Sony would need something equivalent to the Wiimote to make such a hardware modification effective. Not only that, but a real gameplan that harnesses Sony's top franchises and gives the company direction. Sony must also be willing to give up potential revenue from BD.
I don't think BD revenue is lost. PS3 has started the race and other manufacturers must continue it. There are already a selection of BD players much cheaper than PS3s. The Wiimote is not a bad idea though.

Jonny's idea sounds like a PS2 meshed with an AppleTV, actually.
Not far off really. Essentially *cheap* digital downloads are much more accessible than expensive retail games. An excellent way to capitalise on this situation is to make a huge catalogue of PS1 and PS2 games available digitally for very tasty prices. The current PSN pricing of PS1 games is fine. Maybe PS2 games could be $10 for the smaller stuff and $15 for bigger games. Maybe even cheaper for things that are already available as budget titles in retail.

J-Rzez

Chrange said:
1 - Stop promising.
2 - Start delivering.

What? I think they've delivered very-very much so to it's fans. And they're delivering more to their gamers with more first-party efforts. I'm not sure they haven't delivered any more than Nintendo or MS have, and in fact, they've shown what more there is to look forward to this coming year then both the other two guys. So yeah.

Anyways, it's all price. Most fantastic piece of console hardware I've ever had in many ways, just too expensive for many of people especially how shaky the economy is in.

Like what MS has done in the past to IBM, and probably hasn't stop doing to competitors ever since?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
AFreak said:
Or, maybe, they should use the money they are gaining from PS2 and put it towards driving down costs and upping software for the PS3...Oh yeah, it's what Sony IS doing because they aren't fucking retarded.

I think that one year ago it was possible to "save" Sony, but I'm not so sure anymore. Still I'm gonna say what I'd have had them do to stay healthy in the business one year ago. But frankly I don't honestly think their presence will or should remain, so I would never truly contribute to it personally. They've made their contribution for a while and it was valuable for that chapter of gaming, but their general direction is no longer one that complies with expansion and sustainability. What they did was necessary for a time and had a purpose that has passed by. Now it transformed itself and was leading down a path of destruction in various ways and it's no longer right for this industry at all, and I don't think they're the right company to do differently. That's how I understand it.

Regardless, the answer to getting Sony back with the tides for the short term was obviously in the PS2. That ship has sailed and I believe it's too late now so that's why I'm even expressing my true opinion. On the other hand, the key for Sony to continue against the tides of gaming would be to keep backing the PS3 aggressively and primarily, which they have done. Assigning themselves to this product which is really going very squarely against the tide. There's no greater arrogance than thinking you can control that bigger flow, you can know about it and serve it the best you can.

In my understanding the only way to have done something about it for the generation, would be to drop the PS3 a few notches on the list of priorities, and slowly back away from it considerably while still supporting it somewhat. Release new software for the PS2, along with a new PS2 that makes the hobby for existing consumers more straightforward. Basically what the OP says, that was the solution. Now? To do it properly it would have taken at least one year, so it's basically later than late for it. I think they'd be better off maintaining what they've built with the PS3 and being humble about their investment in it, being safer in the possibility that it will not become wildly successful and basically survive it.

Next turn they have to ditch the PlayStation brand and come up with something truly new, if they can. I'm not sure about that. So it's really a little like Sega the way I see it, at this point I don't think there's much in the way of leadership for them anymore, but they could stick around for sure, especially if they know better than thinking they own the industry.

acm2000

why should we save them? they came into this gen basking in their own arrogance, let them fail if thats whats gonna happen

diss

Banned
fuck sony
i've been waiting for one of their retarded new formats to sink them
bluray has done some damage. now we need the killing blow!
sony online music store with everything recorded in ATRAC! DO IT

Defuser

Top 10 things Sony should do.

1)Fired David Reeves
2)Fired David Reeves
3)Fired David Reeves
4)Fired David Reeves
5)Fired David Reeves
6)Fired David Reeves
7)Fired David Reeves
8)Fired David Reeves
9)Fired David Reeves
10)Fired David Reeves

Basically at this point all they can do is

1: Price match the current #1 (the Wii). Offer a $250 PS3. Don't handicap it by making it only 5% of your total shipments either. Microsoft made the $199 360 about 30% of their total shipments and the sales reflect that.

2: Get with publishers and make ALL of their backlog PSN-downloadable. Their COMPLETE PS1 and COMPLETE PS2 library. Don't do this "certain set of games a week" BS that Nintendo and MS are doing. Virtual Consoles are not offering new titles and doing this sets them in competition with your current offerings. And besides, you get faster money that way anyway, since you take a peice of every sale anyway.

3: Make the PS3 smaller and cheaper. I know this takes R&D and lots of time though so it's probably going to fall in line after the other two points.

Shadow780

Defuser said:

1)Fired the head of SCEJ
2)Fired David Reeves
3)Fired David Reeves
4)Fired David Reeves
5)Fired David Reeves
6)Fired David Reeves
7)Fired David Reeves
8)Fired David Reeves
9)Fired David Reeves
10)Fired David Reeves

That's my priority.

lupinko

The Abominable Snowman said:
2: Get with publishers and make ALL of their backlog PSN-downloadable. Their COMPLETE PS1 and COMPLETE PS2 library. Don't do this "certain set of games a week" BS that Nintendo and MS are doing. Virtual Consoles are not offering new titles and doing this sets them in competition with your current offerings. And besides, you get faster money that way anyway, since you take a peice of every sale anyway.

They do that already, just not in North America.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Defuser said:

1)Fired David Reeves
2)Fired David Reeves
3)Fired David Reeves
4)Fired David Reeves
5)Fired David Reeves
6)Fired David Reeves
7)Fired David Reeves
8)Fired David Reeves
9)Fired David Reeves
10)Fired David Reeves

I support this termination

Burai

shitonmychest57
I don't really want to save them. For all their talk, the PS3 hasn't given us any more than the Xbox 360 is capable of, the exclusives are slowly slipping away and every hyped up saviour continues to miss the mark.

I've owned all three current consoles at the same time since the PS/N64/Saturn days because not having one of them meant you missed out on something. The PS3 is the first console I've ever owned that I've felt I could live without. And with Blu-ray deck prices plummeting and BC PS3 ebay prices rising, the temptation to get rid is rising.

As for Jonnyram's idea of saving... People really don't want to buy a more deluxe version of a console they've already moth-balled and has no new games coming out for it. And at this point, re-adding BC into the PS3 will have little effect on their bottom line apart form adding more cost that they can ill-afford. Being able to play PS2 games really isn't the be-all and end-all for people when buying a new console as neither the 360 or Wii play PS2 games either and it doesn't seem to be affecting them very much sales-wise.

the PS3 is the most consumer friendly console this gen, yes you pay more at first but you save so much more in the long term.

Hell, I am recycling my PS2 sticks and controllers via controller adapters.. the friendlyness

-HDD not proprietary
-BluRay
-Got a Pc Webcam and a keyboard lying around? the PS3 accepts it if it's USB, not proprietary
-Hey, got old PS2 arcade sticks lying around? Hey, Controller adapters work and are not ocked out of proprietary shit.
-Hey, wanna buy a game from Japan or Honk Kong? No fuckin problem, Region Free .
-The controller's battery is low, plug in a USB cable! no extra batteries.
-PSN games, no size restrictions, sweet.
-Not only can I stream my media, I can also COPY THEM ONTO THE HDD!!!!!
-And when I boot up my console, the first bar I see on the XMB is my games bar..... not ads.

Ploid 3.0

I think this whole thread is just a wish list. Sony will be fine, and next gen everyone will win with a cheaper ps3, and maybe a cheaper next box. Just play what you want and let sony worry about sony.

Continue rather.

deadatom

Banned
wmat said:
wat?

By that logic, as soon as you're not a gamer, you're not supposed to say anything about games, right? What a stupid statement.

I dunno.. It's more like you've just thrown a bag full of cats onto the highway and try to justify it with "just a joke guys"..

fine the pope has just as much incite in gaming as gamers do... happy? also yakuza was a joke.. bleh.. its 3am.. for a guy with an avatar of a clown you are very mean.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
deadatom said:
fine the pope has just as much incite in gaming as gamers do... happy? also yakuza was a joke.. bleh.. its 3am.. for a guy with an avatar of a clown you are very mean.
No, that's me, actually. Not a clown.

Of course the pope DOESN't have as much relevance to gaming. But if there's an actual problem which even the pope sees, well, then he's entitled to say his piece. Why wouldn't he be?

Kintaro said:
- Start setting up PSN as the Steam of the console world. Get publishers to sell retail games, day and date, on PSN at a $10 discount. Get people used to looking at PSN first for their gaming pick ups.

They can't do this. Retailers will throw the biggest fit the world has seen, and shove all of the Sony products in their store to the darkest corners that not even the GameCube saw. Warhawk was a big blow-up, for example, and I think they had to do something specific about how they handled GT5 Prologue, stores got a lead of a week or something if I remember correctly? Or was it exclusive content on the disc?

Basically, if Sony cuts retailers out of the loop, those retailers will hamstring Sony right back, unquestionably.

zoukka

I think Sony could take a break and think things through.

Just wait for the consumer friendly, green and happy Sony of the next generation. The black, menacing, expensive and stumbling giant is history.

They got here by listening to the fans in the first place.

In kyoto they do whatever the fuck they want and the only time they burnt over backwards for the fans was the backlash that took years when they replaced Space World Zelda with something that looked like a fetus

anyway Miyamoto apologized and we got twilight princess. All have been forgotten and forgiving. They can do no wrong

Ploid 3.0

Kulock said:
They can't do this. Retailers will throw the biggest fit the world has seen, and shove all of the Sony products in their store to the darkest corners that not even the GameCube saw. Warhawk was a big blow-up, for example, and I think they had to do something specific about how they handled GT5 Prologue, stores got a lead of a week or something if I remember correctly? Or was it exclusive content on the disc?

Basically, if Sony cuts retailers out of the loop, those retailers will hamstring Sony right back, unquestionably.

Retailers are bustas. More reason to get them out of the loop, too bad downloading BR sized files don't seem so fun.

We all know that the only ways to save Sony will involve the Necronomicon, the videotape from "The Ring", and the Death Note.. It's best to just let them die.

Top Bottom