• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#SaveHaloDotAPI - I hate to post another negative 343/Infinite thread but this is bullshit

We come to you today with some news we tried our hardest to avoid sharing. In lieu of major changes to our Halo business, HaloDotAPI and all HaloDotAPI-powered services – overlays, fansites, Discord Bots and Twitch bots – will be shutting down as of July 31st, 2022. We are proud of what we have accomplished with your help: as far as we can tell HaloDotAPI is the largest organized developer community in the gaming industry, but we can not keep supporting it entirely on our own.

The summary is that it is expensive – in time, effort and money — for our small team to keep the Halo API and Developer Community running, and without official support from Microsoft it’s not tenable to keep it operational. We want to be clear that we have spent months trying to figure out a solution with the community team at 343 Industries and they did their best to try to support us. They are unable to move forward due to policy and compliance issues at Microsoft around how Halo player data is used.

Why is this bad? Well 343's own handling of their game, history, leaderboards, player stats and more is complete shite. You cannot even see a history of what map you played on per game history over at Halo Waypoint. RIP Bungie.net. This leads into HaloDotAPI stepping in for years and driving the backbone of the community for so much -

A non-exhaustive list of the services HaloDotAPI have provided:

1. The Halo API: autocode.com/halo which powers everything listed.
  2. Custom overlays: overlays.halo.info
  3. Used by UberNick, Mint Blitz, and dozens of others
  4. Halo.info stats: halo.info – built entirely by Scott and Alexis on our team
  5. HaloTracker.com: Medals chest
  6. HaloMedals.com
  7. HaloDataHive.com
  8. SpartanRecord.com
  9. Leafapp.co
  10. TrueAchievements.com
  11. HaloSouthAfrica
  12. HaloDotAPI Twitch Bot (Install) used by over 100 streamers built by Alexis
  13. HaloDotAPI Discord Bot used in 1,300 servers built by Alexis
  14. The API behind Halo dBot used in the official Halo server
I've been a part of the closed API forum over at Waypoint and the team behind HaloDotAPI are one of the very few real drivers/players in delivering what so many gamers are looking for; personal stats and comparative stats across the community. Shout out to HaloTracker too.

343/MS/Xbox are not able or willing to put their own services/website on par for such community wishes/needs of players and fans. Further they're not willing to back or donate to teams like HaloDotAPI/Autocode. This is a pretty huge deal to be shutting down and it's looking like a long time for these shoes to be filled if/when it goes offline. I just wanted to highlight this in the hopes donations/purchases/#SaveHaloDotAPI awareness is also spread on GAF.

Much love to those that dedicate so much to this insanely fulfilling and wonderful past time we call gaming. Respect HaloDotAPI.

Jennings

They (343) are unable to move forward due to policy and compliance issues at Microsoft around how Halo player data is used.

If it's privacy related then I'm okay with this reason. If it's just Microsoft wanting to hoard active player counts or something then it sucks.

If it's privacy related then I'm okay with this reason. If it's just Microsoft wanting to hoard active player counts or something then it sucks.
I don't pretend to know the ins and outs but the fact you play a game and publicly show your gamertag as well as in game performance and post carnage reports when playing, why is there anything to do with privacy being a show stopping problem? Xbox/MS/343 should share the game, player and statistical data. Just don't have any PII (personally identifiable information) in the datasets. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Sure as hell isn't a big development deal to handle whatever may be the issue.

Surely Azure/343 could host everything for free for such community efforts too? Give the lack of official Halo Waypoint statistics and tracking why wouldn't they in game/website advertise such community services to help them garner revenue etc?

Last edited:

pqueue

just time to accept that the Halo franchise is dead.

the last 3 campaigns have been shit at best.

While the bones of Multi are there, the stillborn abortion of a game is half-assed and not getting better.
ANd now MS plans to shit all down the neck of the MCC and make it an abortion as well.

The books/comics are all over the place and show no guidance or actual work-building.

The TV show was entirely creatively bankrupt, across the board.

I think the only part of the franchise making money these days are the action figures, and even the sales of those are way way down.

Stick a energy sword in it.

It is done.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Easier said than done. I had a blast playing Halo 2. I remember the hype, the build up, and anticipation of Halo 2's launch. It's the first time I took multi serious. We all have fond memories of this franchise which means some take criticism of the game personally.

That said, Halo's problems are indicative of Microsoft's foray into gaming. Buy instead of create. And then mismanage / make the game correlate and incorporate Microsoft's goals not those of XB gaming. I knew Halo was dead when Craig popped up. I knew they buried Halo when Co-op, a franchise staple, wouldn't be included after a very lengthy 6 year dev cycle.

Infinite was uninspiring to me. It felt more like a generic version of itself, sort of like what AC has turned into. Little to zero innovation because XB refuses to create. 95% of their current ip is ip they've purchased and to date that has left little room for creativity.

Also 343 is 0-for-3 and in desperate need of good studio management.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
It's really not, because it proves that at least most players have standards.

Might I remind people that this is GAF's game of the Year for 2021...
It is probably the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in years & many echo this, the gameplay is great.

Sadly the content updates is severely underwhelming.

& Obviously missing a basic progression system/level system.

But the gameplay itself is great.

Last edited:
Okay. Now I'm curious if this will lead to same issue with Destiny API content now that Bungie is under Sony ownership. This will be curious to look into for the next few years because Bungie sucks at providing any info with their official apps.

As a super fan of Halo, I like what they did with Halo Infinite as far as gameplay goes. But they make bad engines and are far worse at network architecture as well as content and outsource literally everything. I hope they give it to a studio that's worth a damn. Quite frankley, I'd love to see Avalanche take it on.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Video games are hard to make.
AAA games are even harder...
...( and I am not going to even complete the phrase).

But at some point you gotta question? That sometimes is just plain and simple incompetence, right?

Razvedka

Banned

the last 3 campaigns have been shit at best.

While the bones of Multi are there, the stillborn abortion of a game is half-assed and not getting better.
ANd now MS plans to shit all down the neck of the MCC and make it an abortion as well.

The books/comics are all over the place and show no guidance or actual work-building.

The TV show was entirely creatively bankrupt, across the board.

I think the only part of the franchise making money these days are the action figures, and even the sales of those are way way down.

Stick a energy sword in it.

It is done.
Correct. Halo is gone, it's really just best for us old fans who grew up with the game to move on.

Sybrix

Its so sad what has happened to Halo since 343 took the reins.

Let's be honest, there hasnt been a decent Halo since reach.

Halo 4 and 5 were utter dog shit, Infinite was a step in the right direction but it just isnt being supported properly by 343.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Bonnie Ross should be canned. I don't even get how this game was so expensive to make. Rage 2 is a better open world looks better runs way better. Only the god tier halo gunplay, back to OG art style and God tier grunts save the game somewhat.

But otherwise it's a clusterfuck of a game and a massive letdown. And I am not even talking about PC optimization or multiplayer.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Its so sad what has happened to Halo since 343 took the reins.

Let's be honest, there hasnt been a decent Halo since reach.

Halo 4 and 5 were utter dog shit, Infinite was a step in the right direction but it just isnt being supported properly by 343.
5 is better than Infinite. The game was feature rich. idgaf about clamber and sprint. Warzone Firefight is one of the best modes in Halo’s history. A complete shame they have abandoned it.

Deanington

Easier said than done. I had a blast playing Halo 2. I remember the hype, the build up, and anticipation of Halo 2's launch. It's the first time I took multi serious. We all have fond memories of this franchise which means some take criticism of the game personally.

That said, Halo's problems are indicative of Microsoft's foray into gaming. Buy instead of create. And then mismanage / make the game correlate and incorporate Microsoft's goals not those of XB gaming. I knew Halo was dead when Craig popped up. I knew they buried Halo when Co-op, a franchise staple, wouldn't be included after a very lengthy 6 year dev cycle.

Infinite was uninspiring to me. It felt more like a generic version of itself, sort of like what AC has turned into. Little to zero innovation because XB refuses to create. 95% of their current ip is ip they've purchased and to date that has left little room for creativity.

Also 343 is 0-for-3 and in desperate need of good studio management.

Who at Microsoft should be creating? Of course they’re buying instead of creating, how do you think Halo became to be to begin with?

Bonnie Ross should be canned. I don't even get how this game was so expensive to make. Rage 2 is a better open world looks better runs way better. Only the god tier halo gunplay, back to OG art style and God tier grunts save the game somewhat.

But otherwise it's a clusterfuck of a game and a massive letdown. And I am not even talking about PC optimization or multiplayer.
Bonnie, Kiki, and Frank need to be on the list of sacked management.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Current view of 343 studio :
Fire Trash GIF

Jaybe

MS should just buy these guys out if their work is really that good. Maybe put them on staff too. 🤷‍♂️

TrebleShot

Pause halo as a franchise and shut 343 and spread the devs across the MS portfolio or get them into making something else.

In 5 or 10 years reboot Halo and either remake parts 1-3 or ignore everything past 3 and make a new Halo trilogy with new talent. This train wreck just needs detailing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hard to understand these die hards that won’t let Halo go because it has to be forever. Find a new game, easy.
There’s no game like Halo. Splitgate’s population is shambolic even compared to Halo, and the portal gimmick is piss. Plus a normal Halo game is packed with features compared to normal games with Forge, Firefight, custom game browser etc.

So there is no ‘new game’ to replace it. Because no game does what Halo does. Infinite is a completely unacceptable, and avoidable, failure.

Crayon

Had a kid here at work who was a huge xb fanboy. I asked him if he was excited for halo infinite on the runup and I was surprised that he was very pessimistic, which wasn't like him in general, let alone for xb. He basically said he was expecting nothing because he had no faith in 343 after being burned a few times.

Caffeine

Had a kid here at work who was a huge xb fanboy. I asked him if he was excited for halo infinite on the runup and I was surprised that he was very pessimistic, which wasn't like him in general, let alone for xb. He basically said he was expecting nothing because he had no faith in 343 after being burned a few times.
it was a pretty big let down for me, i actually enjoyed 4, but 5 was too much destiny like for me with the single player gameplay loop. as I finished infinite my first words were " that's it wtf?" it didn't even feel like an ending but more so like I was at the midpoint of the game.

elliot5

Stop posting your grievances about halo infinite or the franchise or bonnie lmao. The thread is about HaloDotAPI shutting down due to costs and despite 343s cooperation in the past they are unable to officially do anything/fund whatever because of data privacy policy. Nobody cares about how much you didn’t like the Paramount show.

It sucks that HaloDotAPI will seemingly go away pending some mega donation from a wealthy community member. If 343 cant officially endorse them maybe they should consider hiring the teams and use them to actually flesh out their own official, data compliant API and make a more comprehensive halowaypoint or ingame stats view.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I love infinite. The only problem is lack of updates for me. Then again the campaign was great by itself. People expect halo to have everything at launch because bungie set the standard. That’s fair but then again it still offered a lot more then 90% of AAA games released. Compare tlou to tlou2. They cut out the whole multiplayer component and are now making it standalone. Battlefield cut out single player. Etc. It’s easy for me to not care about Coop and forge because the game already gave me more hours of game time then most of the games I’ve played in recent years.

Just bring more maps. A lot more. And faster

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo infinite is amazing, an Xbox series x launch deadline was too hard for 343. Infinite will definitely get maps and DLC.

Filben

Personally not that hard for me. Never played it when it was released and people were blown away. By the time I tried it was already somewhat dated and nothing ground breaking anymore. Played Halo 4 then, stayed for the soundtrack and that hot Cortana chick. Game was overal average and I had fun playing it.

Tried the recent f2p Halo multiplayer grenade spam fest with too strong melee and nades and too weak guns and uninstalled it after ten matches when I felt I've seen everything the game had to offer. Grenades, grenades, and more grenades.

TLZ

Banned
It's really not, because it proves that at least most players have standards.

Might I remind people that this is GAF's game of the Year for 2021...
I don't understand how when all I see is complaints and negativity all around. Never seen that before for a GOTY.

I don't understand how when all I see is complaints and negativity all around. Never seen that before for a GOTY.
Because there is hardly any place or publication in the world that had Halo as it's GoTY that's why it doesn't seem like one.

The reception for the game speaks for itself, Forza Horizon 5 (another MS multiplayer game that isn't even F2P released around the same time) has multiple times the player base of Halo on Steam, it's actually unbelievable that something like that is even possible.

BFV a game seen as a all time flop, also isn't F2P, still has a lot more players than Halo Infinite on Steam.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

So, Microsoft, aka dear Phil the gamer buddy, this mega hyper giant company did not find a solution... I wonder why 🤔

#BullShit
hypocrisy hypocrite GIF by chuber channel

Last edited:
Top Bottom