• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saw mulan, i have a question..

sol_bad

Says the Disney sycophant? Who are you talk about anyone's taste?

I thought Mulan was just average, I hated the Lion King remake, the Dumbo remake was atrocious, I fast forwarded through A Crack in Time because it was so bad, avoided The Nutcracker, thought Artemis Fowl was beyond atrocious, hated Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and 5, Cars 2 is crap, Meet the Robinsons is shockingly bad.

Just because I happily praise the Disney movies I love, doesn't mean I will blindly love anything they make. I tend to spend more time talking about the things I love rather than the things I don't like.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t understand your point.
I asked you what agenda this movie was forcing on people. You posted something about the actress being some China shill (who you know are extremely anti American) while the OP is mad people are casting a all Asian cast for a movie set in China in the 15th fucking century.
(insert NPC OP's poorly constructed reply here about shitty movies getting a passing grade. Oh no what is the world coming to this has never happened before! Star Wars cough.)
Are you saying a movie can only be propaganda if it takes place in USA and talks about America? LOL
I mentioned Avatar because that was an AMERICAN film that actually had anti American shit/propaganda. LOL. Again what does this movie do, you know IN the movie itself that makes it propaganda? Outside gurl powr.
That is quite silly. You do realize other countries exist?
I mean I did mention China and that is a (other) country so yes.

lrt75914

I asked you what agenda this movie was forcing on people. You posted something about the actress being some China shill (who you know are extremely anti American) while the OP is mad people are casting a all Asian cast for a movie set in China in the 15th fucking century.

I think you're missing the point. The problem is not that the movie has an all asian cast. The main bone of contention is that the highlighted reviewer glosses over all of the movies shortcomings simply because of the 'novelty' factor. It is appropriate to hire chinese actors for a story that is set in 15th century china. It is not appropriate to give a crappy movie a good review because of it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It is not appropriate to give a crappy movie a good review because of it.
The agenda OP is outraged over...are reviews and nothing more. A polygon review of all things.

Picture this, a fully grown man watched a movie aimed at young girls, hated it (no specifics) and was triggered it has a high score. So this entire thread is a moderate misdirected frustration after coming to the realization OP paid for an extra subscription to see a movie he had no fun watching? (the humanity)

lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Giving it a pass for asian representation is just bizarre. This is Mulan. Was anybody expecting anything less than a full Asian cast? Due to the subject matter, anything other than a full Asian cast would be a bit odd.

Or would it? I wonder how Polygon or Era would react if a black woman or native American were cast as Mulan?

Anyway, films with full Asian casts are nothing new. It might shock era and Polygon to learn this, but Chinese cinema has been around for decades making absolutely fantastic movies will all Asian cast members. I'd also recommend Japanese cinema to them if they're into films with all Asian casts.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I mean, there is a King Arthur show on Netflix with a diverse cast. Folx have been complaining about all white viking shows for ever. I see no reason why they couldn't have had some Indian, arabic, and european actors in Mulan.

lrt75914

The agenda OP is outraged over...are reviews and nothing more. A polygon review of all things.

Picture this, a fully grown man watched a movie aimed at young girls, hated it (no specifics) and was triggered it has a high score. So this entire thread is a moderate misdirected frustration after coming to the realization OP paid for an extra subscription to see a movie he had no fun watching? (the humanity)

lol
Whether we like it or not, movie reviews still have a significant impact on ticket sales/streaming subscriptions.
A movie being praised despite all of it's flaws simply because of a 'diverse' cast could create an incentive for hollywood
to solely rely on woke activism instead of proper movie making. It's not like we haven't seen this kind of nonsense
before with CGI. Otherwise mediocre movies being praised for their fx work gave hollywood executives the idiotic idea
that a movie that isn't a CGI clusterfuck is not going to sell.
It's perfectly understandable that cinema enthusiasts are less than pleased with these types of reviews - even if the
movie in question is a kids movie. The concern is not a falsely inflated review for one movie but rather the implications
for the entire business on a whole. Surely you can see that as well.

At any rate. This is a discussion board...bemoaning the fact that someone wants to discuss a hobby/interest of his on this
site is rather pointless. Maybe you don't share his view, but many others might.

Last edited:

SegaShack

This was a great action movie IMO, really fun action scenes with no shaky cam and no jump cuts. So glad a modern movie realized that people want to be able to actually see stunts.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Whether we like it or not, movie reviews still have a significant impact on ticket sales/streaming subscriptions.
A movie being praised despite all of it's flaws simply because of a 'diverse' cast could create an incentive for hollywood
to solely rely on woke activism instead of proper movie making. It's not like we haven't seen this kind of nonsense
before with CGI. Otherwise mediocre movies being praised for their fx work gave hollywood executives the idiotic idea
that a movie that isn't a CGI clusterfuck is not going to sell.
It's perfectly understandable that cinema enthusiasts are less than pleased with these types of reviews - even if the
movie in question is a kids movie. The concern is not a falsely inflated review for one movie but rather the implications
for the entire business on a whole. Surely you can see that as well.

At any rate. This is a discussion board...bemoaning the fact that someone wants to discuss a hobby/interest of his on this
site is rather pointless. Maybe you don't share his view, but many others might.
Only agreeing with whatever topic pops up is just as pointless and isn't exactly a discussion now is it? Considering everyone but the OP has actually said something that equates a basic level of discourse doesn't help. So the problem alone wasn't the fact it was a poorly constructed thread.

Sales don't equal high tomatoes/critic scores either, going by some of the best selling movies of all time. We've had inflated reviews over literally everything for the longest time as well, x enthusiasts know this better than anyone. Taking a polygon review seriously is also something I can laugh at and you can't stop me from doing so.🍵

notseqi

'Outrage' is a bit harsh, I feel. I don't mind agenda, everything has it, especially the arts. I don't like 'aggressively didactic', or what a simpler vocabulary would say, 'ramming down your throat'.
Don't forget that parents, for the most part, have to monitor their children and movie watching/general media consumption is a big part of spending time together. It's a valid question.

Fuck reviews though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hollywood can finally ditch America entirely and make movies just for China

Also lead actress is pro CCP

When the CCP puts a gun to your head and tells you to do something you do or else you get disappeared to a prison camp.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Female and minority role, giving anything less than 7/10 will get you perma ban from most blog in this era.

Malakhov

Banned
Enjoyed the movie, I was going in with shitty expectations though

Critics on era are useless for anything now, it's all about the diversity and agendas

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Last edited:

sol_bad

Doesn't every movie thank whatever city, province or body that gives them permission to film?

I'm just here to be entertained. I'm not a virtue signaler pretending to be angry at an American company having a mutual agreement with China to make a film. Every single person saying "fuck Disney" for filming where they filmed is a fucking hypocrit. No doubt every single one of them has countless products in their household that were made in China.

*EDIT*
Has there ever been any anger over studios filming in Middle Eastern countries where countless horrific things happen daily. This is so stupid.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
"Hey, this movie is trash, but I'll give it high scores because it has asian actors"

This is nonsense. Is it that hard to get?

It's like a really bad and shitty and poor written book that is praised because it talks about a "brave" subject. It's absurd and stupid but it's something ((some people)) have been doing for ages... it's so dumb it's hilarious, and we can all laugh at their faces and tasteless shit as we've always done, but, and here is where the concern is, now they want to tell you what you can laugh about.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Doesn't every movie thank whatever city, province or body that gives them permission to film?

I'm just here to be entertained. I'm not a virtue signaler pretending to be angry at an American company having a mutual agreement with China to make a film. Every single person saying "fuck Disney" for filming where they filmed is a fucking hypocrit. No doubt every single one of them has countless products in their household that were made in China.

*EDIT*
Has there ever been any anger over studios filming in Middle Eastern countries where countless horrific things happen daily. This is so stupid.
The issue isn’t that they thanked them the issue is they filmed in an area where concentration camps are happening now to a million plus people. Imagine someone shot a movie about German mythology in Berlin in 1944 then thanked the Reich in the credits and you were all “who cares? I just want to be entertained.”

there is “virtue signalling” and there is actively working to put a friendly face on genocide

And yeah your moral relativist dodge is cowardly bs

Last edited:

Ionian

This is a hilarious thread, had no interest in seeing it but am tempted now just because of the bitch-slapping in the comments.

I want to play too!

Mahadev

How this movie its 80 on rotten tomatoes? Believe me im not a hater of animation to real life Disney movies, some of them are pasable and at least the vfx are good, but this movie its a fucking disaster, it looks like a tv series from ten years ago, the cinematografy its all over the place, the action its a mess , so i Read this on reeeee

Its this what modern cinema crític has become? They dont give a fuck if the movie its good or not, its the agenda behind it, we live in funny times folks

It's both the agenda and the fact that Disney is advertising heavily on the sites these "critics" work for. They have every angle covered, they astroturf the internet non-stop to influence public opinion and practically pay off critics and they still haven't managed to to control the narrative on their last few turds. It seems that their movies have gotten so bad that not even their huge marketing budget can save these disasters.

Jesus93

Neo Member
No idea honestly, I guess diversity points is the only thing you need to have a boost from the critics, the funny thing is that the movie is soo poorly done that it completely goes against what it wants to do, it wants to be feminist but misses the point of the original animated movie and the chinese legend, it tries to have chinese representation but a lot of chinese people think that the movie is a really bad representation of them and their culture xDD

Dacon

Banned
The movie is bad enough on its own merits, that you don't need to go searching for hidden agendas.

Fbh

The issue isn’t that they thanked them the issue is they filmed in an area where concentration camps are happening now to a million plus people. Imagine someone shot a movie about German mythology in Berlin in 1944 then thanked the Reich in the credits and you were all “who cares? I just want to be entertained.”

Sorry but this outrage is dumb.
It's all China, it's all the CCP. You are either ok with companies doing stuff in China, collaborating with Chinese authorities and pandering to Chinese audiences, or you aren't. The exact location where this was filmed in is irrelevant.

To take your nazi analogy, this is as if in 1944 you were like "I'm fine with this studio shooting a movie about German mythology on nazi territory, pandering to nazi audiences, while collaborating with and thanking nazi authorities .... but what really bothers me is that it was shot near a concentration camp!!!!"

What?

Can you answer the question in your own words? What is the agenda behind Mulan? The original film was about girl power aimed at little girls.
The original film told both sides of the story, not just the "girl power" side. As a little boy I loved the I'll make a man out of you song.

Halo0629

I watched it and feels like a generic war movie. Also mulan was already born op and a marvel superhero.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The movie was boring and was pretty much inferior in almost every way to the cartoon. She had the power all along just like Captain Marvel. This movie was less impactful than the cartoon with her deciding to become a soldier scene and another thing that irked me was her taking off her armor to show she was female in order to fight in a war.

I kinda lost interest in this when the Alladin remake sucked...

Although Aladdin was a lot weaker than the original at least it was entertaining. Mulan was trying to be the serious live action type movie and just ended up being boring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom