• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say Something Bad About a Game You Love

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Say something bad about a game you love. I hate to break it to you, but your favorite game of all time definitely has flaws. We've had a lot of "say something good about a game you hate" threads, so I thought I'd switch things up a bit. I'll go first:
  • Earthbound / Mother 2 has some really weird pacing issues, especially in the second half of the game
  • At several points in Final Fantasy 6, it's possible (and sometimes too easy) to get into a scenario where you cannot progress because you're underleveled and have overwrote a save that lets you go back and grind - resulting in you having to start the whole game over
  • Xenogears... disc 2. Nuff said.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
9ultQbA.png

is only five hours long. My favorite FPS, third favorite game, and it's so short :lollipop_pensive:

Last edited:
New Austin part of the map, despite being huge in size was left almost unused in Red Dead Redemption 2. I know you could explain that with certain story continuity from the first game but still, it was a shame.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
God of War. The combat leans too much on button-mashing the lower-level enemies, and it has too many repeating enemies in general. And the dark elves area was mediocre. It keeps the game from reaching legendary status.

Red Dead Redemption 2. They pushed back the conflict between Arthur and Dutch for too long, it makes no sense that Arthur let everything slide for the entire game, especially after Dutch walked away in the oil refinery when Arthur was in trouble, and Arthur saw it. Also when Lenny and Hosiah died, Arthur barely cared, which makes no sense considering he liked those 2 guys maybe more than anyone in the crew. It's a big blow to the story that the breakup of the gang does not feel natural but artificially extended because the game needed more time to cast missions in each area of the map.

The Last of Us: Part II. Ellie is too young and skinny to be a fighter and it looks absurd the whole way through.

All From Software games. The amount of backtracking when you die is boring and a big design flaw and hurts all the games.

Super Mario Odyssey. Most of the levels are weak and not fun to go back to.

Mass Effect. All the codex entries and planet descriptions are hell when you are an OCD sort of player. It makes an 8-hour game a 20-hour game.

Last edited:

Aion002

Nioh 2:

It's kinda easy... Probably because I played too much of the first one. Also, a little repetitive and predictable.

Sekiro:

Not having a character customization was sooo dumb. One main weapon was disappointing.

Bloodborne:

The chalices were a huge wasted opportunity. Where's the ps5 patch?

Dark Souls 3:

Nioh and BB have way better combat. DKS3 combat didn't bring enough new stuff to the table.

Ghost of Tsushima:

The story and characters are not that great...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOOOOVE Monster Hunter Rise but I couldn't care less about the Rampage quests, they are direct opposite of what I like about MH series. I love mastering weapons and use my knowledge of the monsters to win the fight but all that goes out the window in Rampage quests because too much going on to focus on the actual fight.

Last edited:

Three

God of war has some really messed up stats/enchantments.

None of your player stats have linear effects. Not only that but they are also kind of meaningless. you put on the Zues armour and instead of showing your defence decreasing massively and your strength increasing massively there is some hidden strength or some hidden decrease in your defence making comparisons hard and those stats stupidly redundant. The enchantments menu is a complete mess that doesn't even seem to have its "sort by" feature working correctly.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Ratchet and Clank Going commando space battles are pace breakers and not fun.

Persona 4 Golden ends

Burnout 3 is too fast

SoTC I wished it was a bit longer

Real answer: I love the Batman Arkham games (Asylum and City, and to a lesser extent Origins, and to an even lesser extent Knight), and they would be the perfect opportunity to have fancy puzzles.

But as it turns out: Batman, one of the premier fictional detectives, the most recognizable character hailing from Detective Comics, stars in a set of video games that have "detective" sections that massively insult the player's intelligence. I say "detective" sections, but they're barely that. Batman voices out loud the obvious set of steps to take, and all the player has to do is press or hold buttons in a completely brain-dead manner.

At least the Riddler trophies (at least in Arkham City) are mini-puzzles onto themselves and a bit of a consolation prize for the lack of puzzles in the main game.

Last edited:

Pantz

Final Fantasy VII - The ending left a lot of questions, so it was kind of annoying. That's all I can come up with.

Sejan

Breath of the Wild really needed to apply it’s master sword recharging system to the unique weapons that are rewards for finishing the quests connected to each village. I know they can be regained, but they aren’t very unique without as it is. I never wanted to use them because they broke so easily.

Breath of The Wild is one of the best games I've ever played but the story is too shallow, the swords break too quickly and the lack of proper dungeons is lame.

Silent Hill 3 is one of my all time favorite games but the sewer level sucks (as sewer levels always do) and the reused streets from Silent Hill 2 are kind of lame.

Haunting Ground is another all time favorite but the further you go into the game the worse it gets, all the best content is front loaded and the final chunk is not as good as the start, it feels like they started to run out of time.

And Rule of Rose is yet another survival horror game that's an all time favorite, but there's no getting around the fact that even by survival horror standards the combat is pretty damn bad.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Streets of Rage 2.

Axl's overpowered Grand Upper move. I know I spammed it a million times. Super powerful, can spam it unlimited times and not treated as a special move so it didn't delete your HP when used. Bosses had no chance against this move.

Gp1

Warcraft 3 gave birth to Warcraft 3 reforged

Breath of the Wild is one of the best games of this gen, its also overhyped AF

Dota 2 is probably the best and most complex competitive online game of all time but the community sucks.

Last edited:
I hated Batman Arkham Knight the time I realized you must to grab ALL these fucking Riddler trophies to see the true ending of the game. :messenger_pouting:
This said, it's still one of my favorite game ever 💖
THIS x1000.

I love Batman Arkham games, but for Knight I got fed up of the Riddler challenges and just YouTube'd the "real ending" (which is only about 60 extra seconds of useless cinematics beyond the "fake" ending).

Knight is the first Arkham game I didn't 100%. I've completed the others to 100% -- multiple times each.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike is an amazing game. It really is. But:

- It's a downgrade, in presentation and soundtrack, from the previous two games
- Character balance is truly fucked, like... It's an incredibly unbalanced game.

"I am god" tier: Chun-Li
"Barely have a chance against Chun-Li" tier: Ken, Yun
"Decent and fun to play but still get wrecked by Chun-Li" tier: Makoto, Urien
"Lots of empty space" tier: Nobody
"Everyone else is trash compared to Chun-Li" tier: everyone else

😂

brian0057

Banned
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (my GOAT) - The remote hacking through the goggles is broken... as in it breaks the game with how OP it is.
  • Alien: Isolation - Fuck the checkpoint save system. System Shock 2 lets you save anywhere and it's just as scary.
  • XCOM: Enemy Within - When RNJesus descends from the heavens and tells you to go fuck yourself even with a 95% chance to hit.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Clothes are too OP. Especially those meant for both hot and cold climates. I wished they worked like the cold suit in Subnautica: Below Zero. It helps you stay longer in the elements but it's not complete inmunity. This would make crafting recipes a lot more useful.
  • Resident Evil 4 - Double the lenght of the village, cut the castle by half, and remove the island altogethe while moving the lab with the regenartors and iron maidens to the castle. Fuck the island. I hate that Gears of War shit.
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) - Fuck Earl and his Evo. That motherfucker was harder than the top 5 of the blacklst. I hate racing him.
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided - Those goddamn on-rails openings. Fuck that shit. Give me either a cutscene or full control, non of this Half-Life bullshit.

Last edited:
Replaying the beginning chapters of Uncharted 4 is a fucking slog but I love the rest of the game. I just refrain from replaying the campaign as much as I would like.

Last edited:
Bioshock, the game nails the aesthetic, story and atmosphere but it definitely could have had deeper and more challenging gameplay.

In my mind's eye I can so clearly see a Bioshock that would have been closer to System Shock 2, the best of both worlds and I'm sure absolutely everyone would have agreed it's one of the greatest games of all time if that had been the case.

Fallout: New Vegas, brilliant game but the graphics are ugly, it wasn't great looking when it was brand new either and now over a decade later the graphics have not aged well, it could really use a remaster.

Oh, I am well aware that my favourite games have plenty of flaws. In fact, even though TTYD is my GOAT, I'd probably say Bloodborne is the best game of all time if I had to be as objective as I could, but it's still not my #1. I'll say one thing about every title in my top 10:

paper-mario-thousand-year-door.jpg

There's 2 instances where the backtracking becomes excessive and a nuisance more than anything. First, in Chapter 4 (For Pigs the Bell Tolls) it almost ruins the entire level, if not for the witty writing of the Doopliss and the Shadow Sirens and the unique ambiance of Twilight Town. The other instance is when you have to look for General White (although it's not as bad because of the pipes in the Rogueport Sewers.

SI_N64_PaperMario_image1600w.jpg

Even a little child with a basic understanding of how badges work can 100% this game without any issues. It's ridiculously easy all the way through, even the battles vs The Master and The Anti Guy.

Estas-ser%C3%ADan-las-primeras-capturas-de-pantalla-de-Bloodborne-para-PC.jpg

30 FPS... why have we still not gotten an official patch? What are you waiting for, Sony? A bit more seriously, though, I guess I'd say parrying is insanely overpowered. If you master it, tons of otherwise epic fights (like Lady Maria and Martyr Logarius) are completely trivialized unless you choose to fight without using it. Even if it's the easiest Souls game (IMO), it's still my favourite!

maxresdefault.jpg

This is quite a hard one to replay because of the way Pokémon combat used to work before the physical-special split. Such a shame, because the original Battle Frontier is the best piece of post-game a main Pokémon game has ever seen (and in typical Game Freak fashion, they've only brought it back once since then ).

s5dHJoNDE6wcjikH2t_XfucTbXxgi87t

All in all, there's not much gameplay variety. It's a pure dungeon crawler at its core, and it shows: you basically go from one dungeon to the next with short breaks in between and it can really fuck up with the general pacing if you're not careful.

image-1.jpeg

Fuck me... where to begin with this enchanting piece of shit? For those of you who haven't played it yet, Genealogy of the Holy War is infamous for having multiple ridiculous difficulty spikes starting as early as the 3rd chapter. Thankfully, some patches help alleviate this imbalance in case you actually have a life and can't play a single chapter for over 5 hours just because the RNG decided to fuck with you for the twentieth time. This is as good a place as any to remind you all that Arvis did nothing wrong, fuck Sigurd (especially in FEH).

maxresdefault.jpg

Same as PM64, it's incredibly easy. When I first played them as a young child both of them were somewhat hard to clear, though, so I still love them.

maxresdefault.jpg

This game's biggest (and perhaps only) weakness is Tartarus, really. If they ever plan on re-releasing this, they need to rework it from the ground up or it simply won't be up to modern RPG standards.

thumb-1920-678433.jpg

(This is Trauma Team, by the way). I'm sorry Dr. Tachibana, but your levels suck donkey balls. Controlling the endoscope can be incredibly clunky at times, and it really fucks you up when you're trying to go for a high score or a speedrun.

H2x1_NDS_ProfessorLaytonAndTheLostFuture_enGB.jpg

I can't really go into details without spoiling it, but there's a somewhat significant plot hole that has bothered me ever since it was pointed out to me. It also has some slight pace issues towards the middle of the game and there's plenty of those sliding puzzles I hate (I have no clue what they're called).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This shit from early COD games with P2P connections. COD, World at War and MW2. I think Activision improved it with Black Ops 1.

Those were the first games I got into online gaming in large chunks of time and on console. My previous online experience was casually playing Unreal in the early 2000s going from server to server which was fine. You could see the number of players, maps, ping time per server.

Then get into COD on 360 where probably 10% of matches bombed out due to host quits. WTF with this shit?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Bakkus

At several points in Final Fantasy 6, it's possible (and sometimes too easy) to get into a scenario where you cannot progress because you're underleveled and have overwrote a save that lets you go back and grind - resulting in you having to start the whole game over
I'm playing this right now. So far, that's the least of the games' concern to me.

Bakkus

Same as PM64, it's incredibly easy. When I first played them as a young child both of them were somewhat hard to clear, though, so I still love them.
Do you really think these games would be improved if they were harder? I personally don't. By the way, could you explain what's great about Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu when you seem to be slaughtering it in that description of yours? Because that game is high up on my 'to do' list.

Top Bottom