• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say Something Bad About a Game You Love

FeldMonster

Halo

Easily the best competitive FPS, with incredible matchmaking (check out the the white paper on TrueSkill2). My personal favorites for Arena are Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 4, and Halo 5.

But glaringly, has never offered AI opponents, which is sorely needed for less populated playlists or modes.

9ultQbA.png

is only five hours long. My favorite FPS, third favorite game, and it's so short :lollipop_pensive:
Is it!? Was that on your first playthrough? I finished it a few months back and it was double that I think

skit_data

Bloodborne, you’re like moving back into your parents place after tasting the freedom of life in 60fps

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Mark meer in Mass effect 1 has some truly awful and cringe worthy line delivery during certain scenes, specifically when romancing liara or ashley.

mass effect 1 also has extremely tedious side quests. The same bases over and over again, and tediously exploring planets that are frustrating to navigate because they wont just give you a way point. Its a shame because the writing around and during the side quests is great

AJUMP23

Gold Member
MASS Effect has some clunky stuff in the first game, but the story is worth it. ME with the planet scanning is the worst though.

Vaelka

TW Warhammer 2, it's boring.

Referring to Mortal Empires, at some point it becomes kinda boring because you've conquered so much of the map that you basically can't fail.
You're just too big to fail and have almost infinite resources.

I love the game overall tho and I do enjoy Mortal Empires a lot especially starting a new campaign.
But long term you reach a point when it feels more like a grind without challenge.
The AI also tends to be quite predictable and make the same choices, it should be more randomzied imo they're a bit too restricted by lore.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Is it!? Was that on your first playthrough? I finished it a few months back and it was double that I think
Yeah, even on the first playthrough.

I think I only got like twenty hours out of Sunset Overdrive, and I'd sure have liked for that game to have another twenty hours of missions or something.

Got 73 hours out of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Wish it was 173 :lollipop_pensive:

Do you really think these games would be improved if they were harder?
I do. If you don't believe me, you could try it out for yourself: there's this patch named Master Quest/Master Quest Jr. that rebalances the game and adds several remixed bosses which make you play smarter and squeeze a little bit more out of the combat system. At least that's what I use nowadays whenever I feel like replaying the game, and it has improved my experience.

That being said, even if these mods didn't exist, it would still be my 2nd favorite game of all time. I had a hard time coming up with anything "bad" about the game -- no matter what anyone says, it'll always be a masterpiece in my eyes.

By the way, could you explain what's great about Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu when you seem to be slaughtering it in that description of yours? Because that game is high up on my 'to do' list.
Once again, perhaps I sounded too harsh. You should keep in mind that even after writing all of that, I consider Genealogy to be one my top 10 favorite games of all time (and after 20+ years of gaming, I've played a lot of games). I'm a huge FE fan and I can tell you that it's far and away the best one of the lot. Have you played Awakening? If you did and you liked it (in my case, it's my 2nd favorite FE), it's almost guaranteed that you'll like this one as well.

Regarding the bad stuff, it's basically just gameplay related. It's a pretty old-school SRPG, so you'll find yourself frustrated at the RNG multiple times per turn because you feel the enemy's 15% - 20% attacks hit more often than your 85 - 90% hits, but I guess you're already familiar with that. The main problem are the difficulty spikes, like I said in my previous post. It's not that the game itself is too hard; once you properly fix the progression like in the Binary mod you can even make it harder and it scales just fine. The problem is that the vanilla game has random bumps in the road that should've been ironed out in QA, but didn't, and feel frustrating when you're doing your first/second playthrough and you're not used to the game yet. It's not that big of a deal -- if you want some BS difficult game that is more frustrating than anything else, there's Thracia (and even that one is worth playing through as well, even though I don't consider it one of my favorites).

StormCell

Breath of the Wild is the perfect game for like an hour. The rest of the game is all about being OP while having the worst resource management system ever conceived (weapons and shields that last a few hits and then vaporize, WTF!).

Still my GOAT.

iorek21

Persona 5 overexplains lots of unecessary things while leaving more complex stuff underexplained.

God of War's level design is too linear and limited.

Jaxcellent

I hate the second disc of Xenogears, alot of just text story screens, a few cutscenes, a completely different deal from disc 1.
its an interesting game, even though the game is flawed in that regard, the game is special to me, in ways it surpassed FF7 for me, although FF7 is probably the better/more compleet game.

lachesis

Persona 5R - It's different, yet the same, but still different - but the same too. Not sure if it was worth another 200 hours
Yakuza (Series) - same but different, yet still same.

Shenmue3. Love the series, but this one fell short hard on battle part. Storywise, it's understandable - but at least Yu should have made the battles more fun and challenging to engage.

Bakkus

I guess i'll add to this:

Super Smash Bros. Melee - It ruined the amazing plot twist in Ocarina of Time for all eternity and Brawl followed up with the same. I played said game a few years after I played Melee and the plot twist was always in my head I was young at the time and I remember the walkthrough which was written straight after the game came out which said something along these lines: 'after you've finished the Spirit Temple, go to the Temple of Time for a sequence, you will guaranteed be suprised!'... . I know countless others have expressed the same annoyance. half of the characters in the game sucks ass too.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Water Temple sucks, the overworld also is way too barren, the child-adult mechanics isn't as fleshed out as it could have been, given that you only have to go back to child Link once after you've become adult. It could have also been used more for creative sidequests.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - After the amazing and long Anju-Kafei sidequest, you are unable to have obtained all the pieces of heart at that point because the mask you get from that sidequest is required to get one piece of heart earlier in the 3 day cycle meaning that if you wanna 100% complete the game and get the complete credits ending, you have to do the sidequest again.

Zelda: Wind Waker - A lot of the islands have nothing of interest on them. Windfall Island also being the only major city with any life to it was also sad.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - General White's fetch quest. Other than that, I honestly can't think of anything really negative to say. An amazing experience from beginning to end which constantly does the little extra.

Undertale - Protagonist moves too slow, the puzzles are all also piss easy to the point they honestly shouldn't be there.

Cuphead - The sea captain boss. The only boss in the game you don't have to really learn attack patterns of and can instead just brute force your way to victory against. The music is also really appropriate for it's setting, but because of that, a lot of it feels really samey and unmemorable in sound.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - Stuck on a really outdated system which can make it hard to go back to it. Please re-release it on Switch!

Super Metroid - Progression can be really cryptic

Yoshi's Island - Sucks for completion 100%. Most of the levels have one or more points of no return, meaning you have to replay them a lot to access bonus levels.

Resident Evil 4 - The end parts are garbage. Who the fuck at Capcom thought it was a good idea to go full Michael Bay the last 2 hours?

Chibi-Robo - The game fails to make it clear what it's really about. What it feels like on the surface seems really boring, but the game is absolutely anything but once you get in to the meat of things.

Chrono Trigger - Crono should not have been a silent protagonist

Earthbound - The game has countless major flaws in the gameplay and inventory department, but the game managed to be incredible regardless.

Mother 3 - The locations are for the most part not anywhere near as exciting as the ones you find in Earthbound.

Super Mario Odyssey - Some of the worlds are lackluster in terms of content

Diddy Kong Racing - The courses designs are nothing much to write home about. They do their job, but not much more.

Banjo-Kazooie - The fall damage in unfair as hell and can often kill you and the flying controls + the attack are utter shit and almost singlehandedly ruins the final boss battle for me, the whole board game beforehand also really overstays it's welcome and that's something even the developers have admitted.

F-Zero GX - Some of the courses are an utter pain to get good at. The game also requires you to learn an unexplained advanced technique in order to properly enjoy it. It took me over 10 years to enjoy it properly due to that.

Phoenix Wright 1 - Case 5 which was added to the DS should have had more connetions to the original 4. Also, the game has some really annoying characters.

Phoenix Wright 3 - Same with the annoying characters. Case 5 also really jumped the shark in some areas.

Pokemon Black/White - The low health sound, sure it was great to remove it for the repetitive annoying added on sound, but I hate that they changed the song for it. That was a terrible idea. The only thing the new games after this have doen right is to remove that tune altogether (or you only hear the warning for a couple seconds).

Bakkus

do. If you don't believe me, you could try it out for yourself: there's this patch named Master Quest/Master Quest Jr. that rebalances the game and adds several remixed bosses which make you play smarter and squeeze a little bit more out of the combat system. At least that's what I use nowadays whenever I feel like replaying the game, and it has improved my experience
I'm not very in to mods, but I'm curious in regards to this.
Once again, perhaps I sounded too harsh. You should keep in mind that even after writing all of that, I consider Genealogy to be one my top 10 favorite games of all time (and after 20+ years of gaming, I've played a lot of games). I'm a huge FE fan and I can tell you that it's far and away the best one of the lot. Have you played Awakening? If you did and you liked it (in my case, it's my 2nd favorite FE), it's almost guaranteed that you'll like this one as well.

Regarding the bad stuff, it's basically just gameplay related. It's a pretty old-school SRPG, so you'll find yourself frustrated at the RNG multiple times per turn because you feel the enemy's 15% - 20% attacks hit more often than your 85 - 90% hits, but I guess you're already familiar with that. The main problem are the difficulty spikes, like I said in my previous post. It's not that the game itself is too hard; once you properly fix the progression like in the Binary mod you can even make it harder and it scales just fine. The problem is that the vanilla game has random bumps in the road that should've been ironed out in QA, but didn't, and feel frustrating when you're doing your first/second playthrough and you're not used to the game yet. It's not that big of a deal -- if you want some BS difficult game that is more frustrating than anything else, there's Thracia (and even that one is worth playing through as well, even though I don't consider it one of my favorites).
I've only played Path of Radiance properly. It seems like a game that would frustrate me, but I wanna experience it due to it having a great story from what I've heard.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Modern Warfare 2019 , you see people compliment it a lot but I complain about the menu’s, and talking to your fan base about Black Ops that’s really annoying and I don’t love the emblems, customization thing.

Mistake

-Gotcha Force
Story board and getting G red unlocks is a bunch of garbage. If dragons weren’t in the game to clear boards, I wouldn’t do it. Also, the save files on this game are extremely sensitive. If anything happens while saving, kiss your progress goodbye

-Metroid Prime/2
Elevators are a pain when figuring out the artifact puzzles, but not as bad on a second play through in Prime 1. Both games have easily missed scans that don’t show up again

-Dead Space 2
The game is way too short. Thankfully I didn’t pay full price for it

-Dragon Age Origins
Only two DLC are really worth it. There’s no collectors/goty edition

-Tales of Symphonia
The PS3 version is technically the “best” one, but you can’t disable the hard subtitles and they cover everything!

-Xenoblade Chronicles
I’d enjoy it a lot more if they added couch coop like tales

Last edited:

Metnut

Last of Us2: just a tad too woke

Persona 5: too many unskippable text
convos that rehash stuff that just happened

Demon’s Souls: RNG for grinding upgrade parts blows

DQ11: truly abysmal and lazy soundtrack for such a long game

Insomniac Spider-Man games: I really suck at and can’t figure out the combat. beaten all the souls borne games without coop help but can’t make any progress in these and just get clobbered.

FF7Remake: it ended

Last edited:
This shit from early COD games with P2P connections. COD, World at War and MW2. I think Activision improved it with Black Ops 1.

Those were the first games I got into online gaming in large chunks of time and on console. My previous online experience was casually playing Unreal in the early 2000s going from server to server which was fine. You could see the number of players, maps, ping time per server.

Then get into COD on 360 where probably 10% of matches bombed out due to host quits. WTF with this shit?

maxresdefault.jpg

Almost all of these occurrences when I played were when the host pulled the plug because they were getting owned.

Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!: They made it less offensive for the kids at home. The ethnic jabs are part of what makes the game so great.

I'm not very in to mods, but I'm curious in regards to this.

I've only played Path of Radiance properly. It seems like a game that would frustrate me, but I wanna experience it due to it having a great story from what I've heard.
You should give Genealogy a go then, mate. Especially if you haven't spoiled yourself yet. It does have an amazing story and some of the best characters in the franchise!

_SAKY_

Super Metroid - wall jumping was very difficult to learn and a the skill was barrier to progressing through the map.

Elysion

Banned
The fact that you can‘t enter any of the cities in FF8 when you get to the end of the game/disc 4. In FF9 it’s not quite as bad, but a bunch of locations are cut off there too once you reach disc 4 (there are suddenly a bunch of roots at the entrance of these locations that prevent you from entering).

Wtf is up with that? Is it because of disc space or something? (I assume the final cutscenes at the end of the games take up lots of space since they‘re so long.) But why can we then still enter any of the locations in FF7 near the end of the game? And FF7 only has three discs, as opposed to four, not to mention that disc 3 in FF7 has much more content than disc 4 in FF8 and 9, where you basically only have the final dungeon. This always annoyed me in FF8 and 9, since you can‘t revisit tons of places during the endgame. Is this different in the recent remasters?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fortnite

The building should have been nerfed as sweats are like Jedi to us Stormtroopers.

Epic also should have made the loot table more interesting/strategic.

That being said, it's hard to armchair QB a company that's now worth $30 billion dollars.

junguler

Banned
assassins creed didn't let me skip cut-scenes/talking_sections, i didn't know any english back then so it pretty much just wasted my time.

Dreams is not a game.

that's not bad per se, except to stupid gamers who think it's a crappy memegame generator rather than an amazing creation tool that was also adopted by tons of crappy memegame YouTubers...

Fbh

Breath of the wild: fuck the weapon durability system (and rain).

Nier Automata: Route B isn't that good, it's too similar to the first playthrough and combat isn't quite as fun with 9S

The Wonderful 101: Those parts where it turns into some shitty sidescrolling shooter just aren't that good. Also the camera always feels a tad too far away when exploring and a tad too close when fighting.

trikster40

Breath of the Wild had an amazing weapon degradation system that isn’t understood by its detractors.

tenor.gif

For real, I’d say that Uncharted’s combat system needs an overhaul. Has it changed at all since the first game?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ace Combat 4.

One of my fav PS2 games. Beat the game, got all the planes, maxed out each level killing all targets and the unique enemy S planes. Ya, I got killed sometimes, but not a very lethal game.

See a trend? Problem is the game was way too easy.

Rayderism

Love Wreckfest, but I really wish it had nitro. Nitro was a big part of what made Flatout games so fun.....car spun out in front of you?.....time for a nitro slam.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Battlefront 2015....this game is STARVING for more levels
If this game had 30 more levels I'd NEVER stop playing

Shame it will never get a proper sequel...BF2 2017 gameplay sucks

Last edited:
I love the Monster Hunter Franchise but I hate that it looks to colorful.And I especially hate the hud so cheap looking with all those red green yellow and what not like a fisherprice toy.And I hate some of the armors,like a tuxedo or pilot uniform. What nonsense in a game with monsters and Dinos where your fighter gets out to fight with terrifying monsters and then wear for protection a tuxedo,hate it takes away all the atmosphere of the game.

The framerate in Guardian Heroes takes a nosedive in some levels because there's too much action. I think Treasure managed the impossible in a side-scrolling beat 'em up.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
There's not an option to skip the early vault tutorials/wagon ride/sewers in the Fallout games/Skyrim/Oblivion, etc.

Also, random encounters. No game would be worse with less (or no) random encounters.

Last edited:
Super Mario Sunshine: most hated Mario ever, probably, but will forever be my nr.1 Mario game

Mario Kart Double Dash!! : same as above

Pokémon series: I still ( try to) love it, but it objectively sucks hard nowadays, most low budget big series ever

Top Bottom