• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase coming to PC

Tagyhag

Awesome, haven't played one since the SNES game and didn't have my Vita for this new release, will pick up.

Durante

$15? Bought. I was always intrigued, but not sufficiently to buy and play it on a handheld.

Also, this came way out of left field.
(I hope I said this right, I just realized while typing it that I have no idea what it means)

ArjanN

$15? Bought. I was always intrigued, but not sufficiently to buy and play it on a handheld.

Also, this came way out of left field.
(I hope I said this right, I just realized while typing it that I have no idea what it means)

The phrase originates from baseball.

Optimization is one thing, playing the game at multiple resolutions with good-looking assets is another. Still excited that Agatsuma's making this move—I can't wait for this to sell really well, enough so that we get more installments in the future.

SOLDIER

So...4k Umihara is a reality now?

Not unless someone mods it in. No resolution options, and the game feature black bars on all sides. The best you can do is resize the picture to a certain point.

It plays as well as the original, but if you already had this on a PS TV, there's no real reason to double dip.

Not familiar with this title. I saw the listing for it on Steam and it didn't grab my attention, but now that I saw the trailer I could get into this. Gonna wishlist it for the moment.

umibyewin_2015_10_05_1dou4.png

light the durante signal

MUnited83

For you.
Not unless someone mods it in. No resolution options, and the game feature black bars on all sides. The best you can do is resize the picture to a certain point.

It plays as well as the original, but if you already had this on a PS TV, there's no real reason to double dip.
Well, It seems to have workshop support(assuming it isnt just a mistake) so thats a plus.

Durante

Ugh. What graphics API does it use? (You can check with e.g. the RTSS overlay)

Mivey

I wonder what programmer looks at a PC monitor and says "You know, I'm just gonna upscale a 540p image, yeah, that should look fine"
Image if developers were like this with their ports from handhelds to console.

I don't think it's rendering at 540p either -- like the Vita game it seems to be rendering at "sub native", with 540p being the "native". Or at least that's how it looks to my eyes windowed.

Personally I'm not *too* bothered by it, as increasing the resolution will expose textures and geometry designed for the 3DS, but the PC is all about flexibility, so I hope options get added soon.

I don't think it's rendering at 540p either -- like the Vita game it seems to be rendering at "sub native", with 540p being the "native". Or at least that's how it looks to my eyes windowed.

Personally I'm not *too* bothered by it, as increasing the resolution will expose textures and geometry designed for the 3DS, but the PC is all about flexibility, so I hope options get added soon.

It's rendering at 960x544... 100% sure of that. That's the default windowed size, and the native Vita resolution.

verdures

Even with that resolution... this is awesome. I'm glad it came out before I pulled the trigger on the Vita version.

It's rendering at 960x544... 100% sure of that. That's the default windowed size, and the native Vita resolution.

It's 960 x 540 if you take a screenshot with alt+printscreen and paste it into an image editor. My point is it's not actually rendering the 3D graphics at 540p, only the HUD.

I had a look at the 3D graphics' pixels and it doesn't look like native 540p to me, as they don't scale by a 1:1 integer. Like I said, the Vita version doesn't render at native 540p either, so it's hardly surprising.

On PC anyway, sometimes you'll see one pixel bleed into another if you zoom into a screenshot, which is a great sign of upscaling, and there's certainly no antialiasing in this game.

wow somehow i managed to clear Shitty Crab in Spiky Hell Zone in less than 10 tries. i must be getting pretty good at this game

is what i was thinking until i got to field 54. what the fuck

So, it's a shitty port, but is it the best version of the game, or should I stick to the Vita?

It's basically the Vita version of the game, on PC, so there's probably no reason to jump in unless you want the game on a platform that has legs (Vita and 3DS are dead-ends, the PC isn't).

They've added extra reflection effects on some objects, but some of the advanced fixed-function effects which simulate the use of 3DS' programmable shaders are still missing. Thought they'd be back on PC, as they were taken out of the Vita version. So the fish and stuff like rubber ducks still appear "flat".

Durante

It's 960 x 540 if you take a screenshot with alt+printscreen and paste it into an image editor. My point is it's not actually rendering the 3D graphics at 540p, only the HUD.

I had a look at the 3D graphics' pixels and it doesn't look like native 540p to me, as they don't scale by a 1:1 integer. Like I said, the Vita version doesn't render at native 540p either, so it's hardly surprising.

On PC anyway, sometimes you'll see one pixel bleed into another if you zoom into a screenshot, which is a great sign of upscaling, and there's certainly no antialiasing in this game.
Good eyes, it was actually rendering at 896×512.

Now it doesn't though:
direct4do7r.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ha-ha, what? They can't use 240p resolution, its really insane (even for japanese developers)

Actually decided to double check with my monitor and it's 1080i?
I'm confused to why it's interlaced and why it's out of range for my monitor since it supports that I assumed it was 240p since the only time I've gotten that was playing Sega Saturn games at brought up the same message.

EDIT: Tried borderless gaming with it and it looks fine toolbar aside:

EDIT 2: turned on hide menus in the Borderless Gaming settings and it's all good now. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if you use borderless gaming it scales pretty well where as it blurs in the weird 1080i mode it displays with it's built in scaling probably have to use that width and height scaling options the game has built in to get it 2x sized but it's nice and sharp!

Vlaphor

Huh. Doesn't this version come with the other one? I could've sworn that the other one was based off of the Vita version, which has the Snes version.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
No, it's not in the Steam port of Sayonara. It's a separate release but it does include the Vita version's extra features.

Top Bottom