• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound announced for XboxOne (Kamiya, UE4, Platinum/Microsoft) [Port Beg = Ban]

Neiteio

The vast disparity between early TW101 footage (back when it was called P-100) and the amazing game we wound up getting should assuage any fears this looks "tame."

So Kamiya has loved dragons since he was a kid. This might work great if it's just Kamiya working off of one word, "Dragons". Might give him the proper center for his madness.

His last 3 games have had, and I'm just approximating here, at least a million dragon variants despite their central themes.

I'm sure none of his madness will be centered,

lol @ Kamiya acting like a dick on Twitter. I just had to reply to him with "Playstation 4!" over and over. Hah! Enjoy knowing your game will only sell 1,000 copies in your home country. :/

ibsVbtEkwR6aD7.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Chance of buying an Xbox 1 just increased by roughly 489 % for me

Looks AMAZING, and I've loved all Kamiya's games so far

Sesha

Don't have an Xbone, no plans on getting one, but I'm getting this day 1. I'll play it on someone else's machine.

As for the game's art style, I don't care too much. There are tons of great-looking games out there, but only a few of those play as well as a typical Kamiya game. A more interesting style would have been preferable, but it will play like heaven.

The vast disparity between early TW101 footage (back when it was called P-100) and the amazing game we wound up getting should assuage any fears this looks "tame."

It's the Platinum cycle, isn't it. Every time there are comments worrying about the gameplay, and 9 out of 10 times the game turns out playing great.

lol @ Kamiya acting like a dick on Twitter. I just had to reply to him with "Playstation 4!" over and over. Hah! Enjoy knowing your game will only sell 1,000 copies in your home country. :/

The game is funded by MS, it wouldn't exist without them. They probably know it won't sell, it's a game made to draw in the core crowd. That's the way Platinum Games work. It'll certainly draw me in, whenever it releases in a few years.

Ezalc

Dragon May Hunt only on XJuan.

Wish we could have seen some gameplay footage, but it looks really early so probably not for a while.

Persona7

Banned
I am guessing MS studios will handle marketing,QA and things like that while Platinum is creating the game. Probably similar to how Sony jp and from worked on demons souls. Check the credits on mobygames to get an idea.

A page or some more back, some western guy was named creative producer, so that's a strong hint that a good part of creative control is at MS. Would explain that the trailer feels so different.

JP Kellams has been with Platinum since the Clover days... And he posts on GAF, he's a really cool guy.

gngf123

It's not like a Playstation 4 title would do much better the way things are currently going over there.

But yeah, just like with the WiiU games, this is funded by the platform holder. PG don't have much choice in what platforms they bring it to.

Neiteio

The game is funded by MS, it wouldn't exist without them. They probably know it won't sell, it's a game made to draw in the core crowd. That's the way Platinum Games work. It'll certainly draw me in, whenever it releases in a few years.
Yeah, basically this. Games like this aren't meant to sell systems en masse, but they do attract a handful of hardcores like ourselves, who then act as ambassadors evangelizing the system to our family and friends.

Anth0ny

It was nice to see a Platinum game announced and given the respect it deserves on the big stage.

Instead of, you know, the fucking Spike TV post show.

Kamiya didn't seem particularly enthused about the whole affair, either. Didn't feel like the proud papa we've seen for other games he's helmed. My first impression is that this thing reeks of Platinum's B-team just stream-of-consciousness stringing together a concept because MS dumped some cash at their door with no instructions beyond "hey, give us an exclusive pls."

Sounds a lot like what people were saying about TW101 when it was revealed. I'll put my trust in Kamiya and Platinum until they give me a reason not to.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
And you're here acting like a dick on NeoGAF. It's like rain on your wedding day or something

On the negative side, damn it, I didn't want to have to own all 3 next gen (current gen?) consoles.

On the positive side, this probably won't be released until late 2015, so there's plenty of time to get that second job

Akiller

This is Hideki Kamiya, creative director at PlatinumGames.

The day has finally come that I can announce my new project to everyone.

I’ve created many original titles over the course of my career. Now I have a great opportunity to launch a new project with a new partner, and I’m excited to bring you a brand new game experience once again.

The focus of my new game is the gigantic beast that reigns over the fantasy genre: the dragon. Dragons have a unique power to capture the imagination, and I’ve loved dragons since I was a child. I’ve always wished that I could create a game featuring this magnificent creature; now the time has come for me to realize my dream.

I can’t share many details about the game yet, but rest assured that the development team and I are working around the clock so that we can show you more as soon as possible. For now, I ask that you let your imagination run wild while you wait.

I promise dragon fans around the world: this game will not disappoint. See you soon,

Hideki Kamiya (@pg_kamiya)
Director, Scalebound

http://platinumgames.com/2014/06/10/platinumgames-and-microsoft-announce-scalebound/

Neiteio

It was nice to see a Platinum game announced and given the respect it deserves on the big stage.

Instead of, you know, the fucking Spike TV post show.
Oh man, I'd nearly forgotten. I simply do not understand why they did that. The entire conference left me feeling empty. It started on a promising note with a lovely look at NSMBU and Pikmin 3, which looked quite impressive, but then it quickly veered off into dancing and karaoke and armored Batman. And while Nintendo Land wound up being an AMAZING game (seriously one of the best party titles ever), ending the conference on that note with canned fireworks was so anticlimactic. So they do all of that, and then, when the show is over, they decide to show off a brand-new P* game. Like, what?

What they -should've- done is excised all that dance/karaoke/Batman shit (note: I love Arkham City, but ports at E3? Please), and replaced it with a huge hands-on of TW101, so people would appreciate all the intricacies of the demo (which was admittedly awesome and made a believer out of me from the onset). Someone live-demoing it and explaining the mechanics and myriad GamePad uses would've done more to impress people skeptical about WiiU than... any of that other stuff.

[/rant]

Okay, I'm converted. Getting an Xbone as well as a PS4 then. My poor wallet...I already feel like crying every time I open it.

Tough times... :p

Neiteio

Well, now I'm looking at all Xbone game announcements through the lens of, "Hmm, would this make $460 for Xbone + Scalebound less painful to my wallet?"

Halo 1-3 MP in 1080p/60fps/dedicated servers pretty much sealed the deal on me getting a Xbone this year. Kamiya from nowhere/phantom dust were just extra, tbh

T.O.P

Banned
The more i look at the mc the more i'm thinking "this is how a more modern Dante should look"

Especially compared tom DMC Donte

RocBase

Sounds like a co-development game.

Which frankly is a plus for me. Have Platinum do the game mechanics and the Western studios do the rest.
agreed, and it's something i've always wanted to see more of: the west and the east using the best of both worlds to create something magnificent. very curious to see how this ends up

SegaShack

The second I saw Kamiya come out all I could think was "Gaf is gonna be so pissed". The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta for Wii U announcements made enough people rage, but to be on a Microsoft console? I knew people here wouldn't be happy. I can't judge the game until we get gameplay, at this point it is just a movie.

Well, now I'm looking at all Xbone game announcements through the lens of, "Hmm, would this make $460 for Xbone + Scalebound less painful to my wallet?"

I'm pretty much in the same situation, but I also have Remedy's Quantum Break to look forward to. Hopefully when both of those games are out the XBone will have dropped price a little more. My poor wallet won't be able to handle 3 consoles.

Top Bottom