• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers' delight: Wii price surges to $500-600 on ebay, amazon marketplace

gkryhewy

The prices being seen today are (I think) higher than at any other point, including post-launch last year.

Amazon Marketplace current lowest price is $583 and change: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VXBAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Recent completed ebay listing for $550 + $35 for shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nintendo-Wi...ryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are any NYC gaffers going to start lining up at the Nintendo World Store each morning to buy a Wii for resale? I'm sure some will (not gaffers, necessarily).

This is staggering, and cannot be entirely explained by Canadian vultures swooping in to take advantage of the recently deceased US dollar.

200px-Oyl.png

Unbelievable.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fucking Canadians. First Rock Band, now this. We need some stricter laws/enforcement against this kind of BULLSHIT. Drives up prices for people here for whom the consoles are intended. Total garbage.

gkryhewy

Firewire said:
Umm Canadian vultures? :lol

Well, they're smart vultures: I think my last three auctions have been won by Canadians (not scalping Wiis though). Would you prefer sage opportunists?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'll fucken stab any Parent I hear talking about how they had to pay $500 off EBay just so their little spawn could spaz out on Mario Party 8

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Sphinx said:
There goes the theory that people won't pay $600 for a game machine.

Oh the ironing. And I really wanted Nintendo to do a price boost for the holidays. Hell, they could have added a controller slot or something, called it Wii+, and sold it for $500 and obviously it still would have sold out.

Firewire

Banned
AstroLad said:
Fucking Canadians. First Rock Band, now this. We need some stricter laws/enforcement against this kind of BULLSHIT. Drives up prices for people here for whom the consoles are intended. Total garbage.

Hey! Back off! We give you good quality beer at way lower prices than what us Canadians damn well pay for the stuff! :lol

BlueTsunami

You people already with a Wii should seriously sell yours off. You've already had fun with SMG, I'm sure a month without the lil' guy wouldn't hurt you. You would make at least double the amount you spent on the thing. Its a no brainer.

Thats a cool $250 pocket change, nearly enough to get you a 360 :>

bill0527

Wonder if I should sell mine and then pick one up after the holidays.

Even though its used, I've only had it 3 months, still have all the factory packaging and manuals. And I could carefully wrap it all back up to make it look brand new. Of course, I would advertised it as used, but some parent might want it for their kid and they would never know it wasn't brand new.

I turn mine on maybe once a month. I do want to play Super Mario Galaxy, but GH III, CoD4, and Mass Effect will keep me busy for the next couple of months, so I could definately live without the Wii.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can't believe people would spend $500 on the Wii. Wow.

BlueTsunami

bill0527 said:
Even though its used, I've only had it 3 months, still have all the factory packaging and manuals. And I could carefully wrap it all back up to make it look brand new. Of course, I would advertised it as used, but some parent might want it for their kid and they would never know it wasn't brand new.

I would take some pictures with the date written on something alongside the Wii (to prove that its yours). Though, parents will obviously hittup scalpers with new unopened boxes first but I'm sure that will run dry at some point.

At least when the NES, PS1 and PS2 were dominating, they had unarguably the best software lineup on the market.

The sight of a console with far and away the worst software lineup enjoying similar dominance is just a complete travesty.

SickBoy

AstroLad said:

joke post? (especially re: Rock Band?)

BTW, I can't believe the Wii is still generating this much of a premium... I've seen them "in the wild" on probably a dozen occasions (although not recently).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Green Shinobi said:
At least when the NES, PS1 and PS2 were dominating, they had unarguably the best software lineup on the market.

The sight of a console with far and away the worst software lineup enjoying similar dominance is just a complete travesty.

Not to mention the complete cluster fuck that people view the PS3 as inferior and won't spend $400-500 on it [especially the games, which is total bullshit], yet they'd gladly pay $500+ for a machine that should cost no more than $200.

I keep telling myself to never underestimate consumer idiocy, but I keep doing it.

FIREBABY

BlueTsunami said:
You people already with a Wii should seriously sell yours off. You've already had fun with SMG, I'm sure a month without the lil' guy wouldn't hurt you. You would make at least double the amount you spent on the thing. Its a no brainer.

Thats a cool $250 pocket change, nearly enough to get you a 360 :>
As tempting as it may seem, I just can't do it. It took to long to get one. But damn, the crazy thing is that they will actaully sell for that much.

Link1110

Must you tempt me EBay? My Wii has been sitting on a shelf for the last 3 months pending something earth shattering to play on it. It's tempting to sell it, and buy another one when the earth shattering game comes out.

And no, I'm not being a fanboy. For the record, my 360 is sharing a similar fate, and I don't have a ps3.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
reilo said:
Not to mention the complete cluster fuck that people view the PS3 as inferior and won't spend $400-500 on it [especially the games, which is total bullshit], yet they'd gladly pay $500+ for a machine that should cost no more than $200.

I keep telling myself to never underestimate consumer idiocy, but I keep doing it.

Well, one has more demand than supply, the other has more supply than demand.

Pretty darn simple if you ask me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If this is consumers falling for Reggie's "OMG there won't be enough, get your Wii now!" hype, can it really be considered "true demand"? Seems more like a house of cards than a strong castle....

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Jesus Wiizuz.
This is pretty crazy and kinda sad. I know couple of people who just camped out to buy multiple Wiis and put them online. Is this really healthy for the industry?

do you guys think the shortage will continue or that Nintendo will have quite a few stored up to feed the fires come closer to Christmas?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
reilo said:

I love the assumption that if consumers prefer the Wii to the PS3, it must be because they're idiots.

Jirotrom

Link1110 said:
Must you tempt me EBay? My Wii has been sitting on a shelf for the last 3 months pending something earth shattering to play on it. It's tempting to sell it, and buy another one when the earth shattering game comes out.

And no, I'm not being a fanboy. For the record, my 360 is sharing a similar fate, and I don't have a ps3.
i think you are just jaded, because for once I feel overwhelmed gaming wise. For Wii I have SMG, FE, MLBpower pros, Geo wars, Trauma CNB, and Z&W to play. For 360, Mass E, GH3, RB, Ace C6, VF5, COD4, and Overlord to play.
AstroLad said:
If this is consumers falling for Reggie's "OMG there won't be enough, get your Wii now!" hype, can it really be considered "true demand"? Seems more like a house of cards than a strong castle....
how many consumers actually pay attention to Reggie?

Booda

reilo said:

Yeah! How dare people decide for themselves how much relative value they place on game consoles? I guess the unwashed masses are just too stupid to realize they should run all of their purchasing decisions past Gaf before they buy anything.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
AstroLad said:

Not our fault your dollar is worthless now. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AstroLad said:
If this is consumers falling for Reggie's "OMG there won't be enough, get your Wii now!" hype, can it really be considered "true demand." Seems more like a house of cards than a strong castle....

No, from the looks of the people buying the Wii, it is more like "OMG, we need to buy this for christmas."

The demand for the Wii is real, especially here and in England. The question that we gamers should be more concerned with is whether that means more quality games? Looking at the JPN announcements I could say with zero hesitation that a software shift is occurring.

I also see a transformation in the market when I see a 50+ year old woman buying mario galaxy because she wants a "game that will last a lot longer than Wii Sports" (direct quote).

Awntawn

Stumpokapow said:
I love the assumption that if consumers prefer the Wii to the PS3, it must be because they're idiots.
At the same price point, you have to be. Just like you're an idiot if you pay a BMW's price for a Honda, no matter how much you love Hondas.

jay

Awntawn said:
At the same price point, you have to be. Just like you're an idiot if you pay a BMW's price for a Honda, no matter how much you love Hondas.

Flawless analogy.

Gigglepoo

Booda said:
Yeah! How dare people decide for themselves how much relative value they place on game consoles? I guess the unwashed masses are just too stupid to realize they should run all of their purchasing decisions past Gaf before they buy anything.

I would never pay two times MSRP for anything. Patience is a virtue!

Top Bottom