• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers Lose 30% On PS5 Prices, Despite Restock Problems

V4skunk

Banned
Well they’ve been buying them for 1.5 years along with GPUs and Series X
Let them because eventually they wont make money.
I've seen PS5 go from up to £800 at xmas and now on ebay if you are lucky you can get one for sub 500.
Hopefully by xmas supply starts to meet demand.

supernova8

Banned
Return dates are finite. Typically, 30 days for electronics. Rarely is it ever 90 with electronics.
What Store lets you do a return regardless of purchase date?
Sorry yeah I was implying no risk within that return window. With supply as it is right now scalpers can absolutely make a profit on PS5s right now. They can just start the price high and then slightly lower it as they approach the end of when they can return it.

I've heard of (on mercari - Japan's sort of eBay equivalent) seemingly seasoned scalpers buying PS5s from other novice scalpers at lower prices and then selling them for a small profit because they know exactly what shipping costs so can guarantee a profit. Plus, scalpers buying from other scalpers means that prices are always kept high because a new (lower) "market" (scalper) price never has a chance to penetrate.

Knightime_X

Sorry yeah I was implying no risk within that return window. With supply as it is right now scalpers can absolutely make a profit on PS5s right now. They can just start the price high and then slightly lower it as they approach the end of when they can return it.

I've heard of (on mercari - Japan's sort of eBay equivalent) seemingly seasoned scalpers buying PS5s from other novice scalpers at lower prices and then selling them for a small profit because they know exactly what shipping costs so can guarantee a profit. Plus, scalpers buying from other scalpers means that prices are always kept high because a new (lower) "market" (scalper) price never has a chance to penetrate.
Gotcha!

Moses85

Let them because eventually they wont make money.
I've seen PS5 go from up to £800 at xmas and now on ebay if you are lucky you can get one for sub 500.
Hopefully by xmas supply starts to meet demand.
Here in germany you pay up to 850 EUR for the disc version. In january the prices dropped to 575-600 Eur but since end of january the retailers didnt get new consoles.

supernova8

Banned
Here in germany you pay up to 850 EUR for the disc version. In january the prices dropped to 575-600 Eur but since end of january the retailers didnt get new consoles.

Supply is going to improve significantly over the next 12 months but we'll only be able to return to "normal" when supply is such that scalpers cannot price it high enough to cover shipping + a profit they believe is worthwhile. A scalper's time is finite (sure they can automate the process of buying up consoles but someone still has to physically package it and send it to the end buyer).

If we assume shipping would cost like $20 max and scalpers would probably want at least $100 profit on top of that (and the PS5 disc price $500 as our base), we can assume that once scalper prices fall below about $650ish, there will probably be a massive sudden drop off in scalping as they move onto the "next big thing".

It happened with Switch too (at least in Japan). We went from there being no Switches (even the non OLED model) and prices being stupid (like $500 for a Switch) suddenly to totally normal MSRP, plenty of stock and only a handful of people selling them second hand but likely at cost (ie probably "normal" people - "genuine" second hand sellers, not scalpers).

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Whew! Good thing I sold them already before this happened. I got 10 of them at launch. Kept one of myself, gave another for free to my nephew. Sold the other 3 to my 3 friends at same retail price to help them out and the last 5 made $500 on each one, I call that a win.
I'd call that you being a scalper who should be kicked in the balls.

drotahorror

Supply is going to improve significantly over the next 12 months but we'll only be able to return to "normal" when supply is such that scalpers cannot price it high enough to cover shipping + a profit they believe is worthwhile. A scalper's time is finite (sure they can automate the process of buying up consoles but someone still has to physically package it and send it to the end buyer).

If we assume shipping would cost like $20 max and scalpers would probably want at least $100 profit on top of that (and the PS5 disc price $500 as our base), we can assume that once scalper prices fall below about $650ish, there will probably be a massive sudden drop off in scalping as they move onto the "next big thing".

It happened with Switch too (at least in Japan). We went from there being no Switches (even the non OLED model) and prices being stupid (like $500 for a Switch) suddenly to totally normal MSRP, plenty of stock and only a handful of people selling them second hand but likely at cost (ie probably "normal" people - "genuine" second hand sellers, not scalpers).

If they're selling on ebay at $650 they're not making any money if at all. Console cost $500 + tax (lets just say 6%) so $530. Ebay takes 12.9%. (about $84), so you're at $566.
And I don't know if you've shipped anything recently, but depending on location, shipping a giant ass PS5 box might cost you upwards $30-50. Atleast if you ship priority.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Some people are like: "YES! THOSE FUCKERS BETTER GET FUCKED!!"

And I'm just like: "Oh, cool, maybe I could get one next year or so" lol

I'm happy for the market to get back to normal more or less... I only hope the same for GPUs (which is also on the same road iirc)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Whew! Good thing I sold them already before this happened. I got 10 of them at launch. Kept one of myself, gave another for free to my nephew. Sold the other 3 to my 3 friends at same retail price to help them out and the last 5 made $500 on each one, I call that a win.
bad bear!

you seem like a really selfish greedy person :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Deerock71

Sounds like they're still profiting, just not as much. They had to know it was going to come to an end at some point.

The amount of cry babies are in this thread is funny as hell to me. People acting like if they had an opportunity to make a loads of money that they wouldn't take advantage of it because they are such goodie two shoes.

Yeah, okay, bunch of lying sacks of poop, if you could make thousands of dollars so easily you'd do same. Stop whining if you didn't take advantage of the situation and missed out on the $$$. Bunch of jealous goofball.

Keep fighting the good fight though and bring on the laughs.

Does it suck to not being able to buy something because others are reselling it to make money for themselves? Yeah sure, but they are just being smart and using their brains. Get over it. It's a fucking video game console and not a necessity.

Last edited:
The amount of cry babies are in this thread is funny as hell to me. People acting like if they had an opportunity to make a loads of money that they wouldn't take advantage of it because they are such goodie two shoes.

Yeah, okay, bunch of lying sacks of poop, if you could make thousands of dollars so easily you'd do same. Stop whining if you didn't take advantage of the situation and missed out on the $$$. Bunch of jealous goofball.

Does it suck to not being able to buy something because others are reselling it to make money for themselves? Yeah sure, but they are just being smart and using their brains. Get over it. It's a fucking video game console and not a necessity.
if a bear shits in the woods it doesnt need to get on a forum to tell everyone

stay in your lane of reposting already debunked twitter rumors as facts

Last edited:
if a bear shits in the woods it doesnt need to get on a forum to tell everyone

stay in your lane of reposting already debunked twitter rumors as facts
Calling 911 right now, cause I think you need mental help dingus :) go back to the Asylum. If you gonna talk shit, at least stay on topic and back up your stuff, but obviously you can't. <3

We're talking about scalpers right now not twitter rumors. I know it's hard for you to focus but you gotta learn Billy!

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned

What stands out to me is that you probably knew the reaction you'd receive by posting that, so it's likely you are lashing out for attention.
Not worth throwing a fit over someone trying to make some money through fair enough means, but learn how to read the room.

Calling 911 right now, cause I think you need mental help dingus :) go back to the Asylum. If you gonna talk shit, at least stay on topic and back up your stuff, but obviously you can't. <3

We're talking about scalpers right now not twitter rumors. I know it's hard for you to focus but you gotta learn Billy!
youre so bad at making a wesbite about childrens toys that you have to scalp the same toys to put food on your table

is that on topic enough?

youre so bad at making a wesbite about childrens toys that you have to scalp the same toys to put food on your table

is that on topic enough?
Almost billy! Your getting close, try to type up more please and tell everyone how you really feel and also ask the mods if it's on topic enough while your at it for that extra clarification. ;)

Last edited:
is billy the dude you lost your v card to?
Hahahhahahahahahahha goodbye. Maybe... but you sure did lost your privileges to post here. Good job Billy!

Okay back on topic fellas. If you want a PS5 I highly recommend you download HotStock. Really good app for PS5 alerts for varies stores and websites.

Last edited:

Boglin

I don't personally like scalping, but I don't think it should be against the law or anything.
I just really hate your mentality of "it's okay if I do it because you'd do it too". A lot of shitty acts are justified using the same reasoning. How about you just admit to yourself that you don't mind taking advantage of other people without assuming that those same people would do the same to you if given the chance. It's fair to call those people naive or similar things for standing by their principles and they will miss out on easy money, but it's not fair to call them liars for having a different worldview than yourself.

I don't personally like scalping, but I don't think it should be against the law or anything.
I just really hate your mentality of "it's okay if I do it because you'd do it too". A lot of shitty acts are justified using the same reasoning. How about you just admit to yourself that you don't mind taking advantage of other people without assuming that those same people would do the same to you if given the chance. It's fair to call those people naive or similar things for standing by their principles and they will miss out on easy money, but it's not fair to call them liars for having a different worldview than yourself.
Ehhh I get what your saying man but as I said previously. PS5 is a toy at the end of the day that plays video games. Whether your an old geezer, an adult or a kid who wants the toy doesn't matter. It is a product made for entertainment. If people were purposely reselling food or water or stuff like that which is a requirement for a human survival then I would completely understand at them getting very upset about it.

People buy apple iphones every year and pay over $1000 and feel okay about it. So if they really want it, either pay the increased price because of the demand, or just be patient and wait. The longer you wait the more games there will be to play anyways. I still don't think PS5 is a must have. Returnal, Horizon Forbidden West Demons Souls and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart are great games sure, but the best game on the market right now is Elden Ring and you don't need a PS5 to play it.

Roxkis_ii

Man, in January, I almost grabbed a PS5 from a scalper. I saw the prices start to come down to like $600, but my friend told me to just wait it out. A week later I got one for retail.

Patients saves pockets.

I don't think it going to be a very profitable year for scalpers. 😄

Man, in January, I almost grabbed a PS5 from a scalper. I saw the prices start to come down to like $600, but my friend told me to just wait it out. A week later I got one for retail.

Patients saves pockets.

I don't think it going to be a very profitable year for scalpers. 😄
You're right, it won't be. Stock is slowly getting more frequent now than before the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:

xiseerht

I see that Series X are going for $899 and the PS5 ( Disc Drive) are going for $950 ish. So the prices are coming down . I am still trying to get a Playstation 5 . Already have the Steamdeck , Series X , Series S and Switch. Just missing the PS5

I see that Series X are going for $899 and the PS5 ( Disc Drive) are going for $950 ish. So the prices are coming down . I am still trying to get a Playstation 5 . Already have the Steamdeck , Series X , Series S and Switch. Just missing the PS5
Install HotStock on your phone. My friend got one like that within a week. Available on both android and iphone.

BreakOut

I paid $700 a year ago on offer up. I see them for less now. I can’t imagine paying $1000. I overplayed… but damn…

supernova8

Banned
If they're selling on ebay at $650 they're not making any money if at all. Console cost $500 + tax (lets just say 6%) so $530. Ebay takes 12.9%. (about $84), so you're at $566.
And I don't know if you've shipped anything recently, but depending on location, shipping a giant ass PS5 box might cost you upwards $30-50. Atleast if you ship priority.
Yeah granted I'm not in the US (I'm in Japan) so things (and fees) are different here.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Only issue I have with this is that you told me I played myself because I didn't have any issue paying essentially double MSRP for a PS5.

Yet here you are bragging about scalping. That's fine, I personally don't care that you did, but why did you feel the need to go and talk shit to me when I made it clear that I bought it out of convenience, I wasn't hung up on the price.

Just makes you look like a dick. lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sold a PS5 Digital Editon last Friday for 779€
Market still hot.
Yea, I recently bought a disc edition for $920.

People said in the thread I posted that I was a moron and that they're available for cheaper. I'm not seeing that though outside of the Walmart+ route and getting one when new shipments drop. Screw that though, no interest whatsoever in doing that, even if it would potentially save me $400. Just seems like such a waste of time.

Facebook marketplace may have local sellers willing to go for $700 but not in my area. Granted, I haven't looked cause I'm not on Facebook but I live in a remote area. PS5s aren't a thing up here. The few big box stores we have don't even carry consoles, just DVDs and a limited selection of games.

Point being, I don't think PS5s are going to be readily available anytime soon and I don't see the prices dropping much. I effectively paid the 'buy it now' price on eBay but got it in a more convenient manner. I'm going to laugh if things get even worse.

Last edited:
Only issue I have with this is that you told me I played myself because I didn't have any issue paying essentially double MSRP for a PS5.

Yet here you are bragging about scalping. That's fine, I personally don't care that you did, but why did you feel the need to go and talk shit to me when I made it clear that I bought it out of convenience, I wasn't hung up on the price.

Just makes you look like a dick. lol.
I get the convenience part dude and sure that's your reasoning. But what you were telling people was to spend almost double the price and told them it's cheaper because it's done through smaller payments overtime, when in reality they are still paying the same amount, so your not gaining anything here other than a delayed payment..that will cost same amounts anyway once said and done.

You can do that with a bestbuy card as well and Amazon card and split the $500 payment into much smaller ones.

And yes you did play yourself because if you download HotStock you can get alerts now almost on weekly basis from variety of stores and it tells you what time something about is to restock and you could of saved your money.

Your reasoning for spending that much money would be more justified if this was at launch in 2020 and not in 2022 when you can actually find stocks through apps.

Then again, I am not you nor do I know how much money you make. For some people spending $100,000 in a month say is like spending a $100 for an average individual and vice versa. It's all relative, maybe that $1,000 to you is like 10 bucks. But I am pretty sure that's not the case for most people.

Last edited:

Neff

"Hi I love scalping and I don't care what anyone says about me!"

"You're a dickhead"

"OH YEAH WELL FUCK YOU THEN ETC ETC (and so on)"

Every time.

Top Bottom