• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is doing 'bedsheet deformation' physics now, because of course it is

MadAnon

And some still think this will come out. They went with a terrible engine and have a mountain of technical debt, so they added cloth physics to look like progress is being made.
Remember the whole ToW debacle? "It will take only a few months of work by a few devs". A year later they realized their network backend is completely fucked and can't even make a simple FPS mode to work. Star Marine is already an embarrassing pos. But stardremers are legit convinced that CIG is gonna deliver them a 2000 player servers with huge capital space ship battles in realtime. They can't even get Idris in the game without everything going to shit. And there's obviously no signs of any progress in this aspect because they are stuck with no ideas how to solve it.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Remember the whole ToW debacle? "It will take only a few months of work by a few devs". A year later they realized their network backend is completely fucked and can't even make a simple FPS mode to work. Star Marine is already an embarrassing pos. But stardremers are legit convinced that CIG is gonna deliver them a 2000 player servers with huge capital space ship battles in realtime. They can't even get Idris in the game without everything going to shit. And there's obviously no signs of any progress in this aspect because they are stuck with no ideas how to solve it.

ToW is in development at FireSprite, you know the that large studio Sony acquired.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
“bedsheet deformation”!?….why? How’s that exactly gonna add anything to actual gameplay?

Are they actually making game or are they just making this to show off what graphic engine could do?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
“bedsheet deformation”!?….why? How’s that exactly gonna add anything to actual gameplay?

Are they actually making game or are they just making this to show off what graphic engine could do?
Nothing to gameplay.

But it’ll add an extra 6 months of dev time and require more people and money to implement.

Lol

MadAnon

ToW is in development at FireSprite, you know the that large studio Sony acquired.
I know that. What's your point? Star Marine was also outsourced and ended up scrapped as one big pile of shit. Then CIG developed their own pos version which nobody cares about anymore.

ToW was annouced more than 2 years ago as a project which will require the work of few devs with existing assets. After a while it goes into testing and obviously it's a pos added to the list of failed CIG projects. Now it's outsourced because they obviously have no idea what they are doing but they can't cancel it either due to potential backlash.

My point is that even "a project which will require only the work of few devs with existing assets" turned out to be too much for CIG devs.

Last edited:

anothertech

90a.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People all like "Star Citizen never coming out" but I'm like "Holy sh**, they're 60% of the way to something awesome."

Yo, this team must have a TERRIBLE project manager/lead. I wonder what the focus of this game is, like really, the focus should be to ship the game. Shipping the game should be P0! Bed sheet deformation should be P2 at best... it's a nice to have but it's not critical to the game functioning.

Many on here have said this game is a scam, I won't go that far (it's still a product that "exists")... but they're definitely not focusing on finishing this game. Their focus is to work on things that will help string supporters along for as long as possible, to keep extracting money from said supporters for as long a possible... and so far they've been doing a great job at it. And honestly, some of those supports seem kinda happy 🤷‍♂️

mitch1971

You may laugh, but I remember playing Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time back in 2003. You could walk through billowing curtains and they'd wrap around your body... sometimes it's the little touches that really impress.
It did impress in 2003, but that was a finished product as well. This is 2022 and 300 million dollars later. I will laugh at this con of a game.

Last edited:
I'd wager solid money that within the next year or so, the development either collapses (because the whales have given up) or general investment continues to die off and they sellout to a major and it magically finishes development in a year from there. One of those will happen. I'm sure of it.

GHound

Talk about feature creep. Someone over there must really be upset that "What's under your blanket" is no longer available on Steam.

RespawnX

Yo, this team must have a TERRIBLE project manager/lead. I wonder what the focus of this game is, like really, the focus should be to ship the game. Shipping the game should be P0! Bed sheet deformation should be P2 at best... it's a nice to have but it's not critical to the game functioning.

Many on here have said this game is a scam, I won't go that far (it's still a product that "exists")... but they're definitely not focusing on finishing this game. Their focus is to work on things that will help string supporters along for as long as possible, to keep extracting money from said supporters for as long a possible... and so far they've been doing a great job at it. And honestly, some of those supports seem kinda happy 🤷‍♂️

You have different teams for different tasks during the development of a game. What do you think a physics programming team does? Certainly not drawing textures.

We don't need to argue about the project management of Star Citizen. Currently, a lot of technologies are being held back because they can't be implemented with the old network code. The developers have tried various things with the community, but it always ended up in the same thing: the servers blew up and the performance was abysmal.

That's why they've been working on new network code for a while now. In fact, the latest update, 3.17, has brought very important and big changes in player synchronization. The two prior updates reworked the streaming of objects. There are just several modules that interact with each other and provide a very complex network system. When further network systems are revised, many things will follow that are already far advanced in the background and are actually only on "hold".

There are some gimmicks that have been shown but not fully implemented, as well as many other things. If I as a developer have to decide whether to implement physics-based weather or to reserve the resources for waving coats, the choice is obvious.

I'd wager solid money that within the next year or so, the development either collapses (because the whales have given up) or general investment continues to die off and they sellout to a major and it magically finishes development in a year from there. One of those will happen. I'm sure of it.

You better don't beg a penny

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You have different teams for different tasks during the development of a game. What do you think a physics programming team does? Certainly not drawing textures.

We don't need to argue about the project management of Star Citizen. Currently, a lot of technologies are being held back because they can't be implemented with the old network code. The developers have tried various things with the community, but it always ended up in the same thing: the servers blew up and the performance was abysmal.

That's why they've been working on new network code for a while now. In fact, the latest update, 3.17, has brought very important and big changes in player synchronization. The two prior updates reworked the streaming of objects. There are just several modules that interact with each other and provide a very complex network system. When further network systems are revised, many things will follow that are already far advanced in the background and are actually only on "hold".

There are some gimmicks that have been shown but not fully implemented, as well as many other things. If I as a developer have to decide whether to implement physics-based weather or to reserve the resources for waving coats, the choice is obvious.

The Google Trends for Star Citizen seems to be increasing every year as well.

Star Citizen haters are Jesse Pinkman screaming "They can't keep getting away with it."

You love to see ambition be rewarded by core gamers at this scale.

As someone who has worked on a smaller team as part of a bigger team... YES, I understand that the physics programming team doesn't draw textures. Do you know what P0, P1, and P2's are? I'm going to assume you do, unlike your assumption that I didn't know that the physics team had nothing to do with drawing of textures.

There are PM for every team, every team is responsible for their part of the project. But there is also someone above all the PM's that makes sure the ENTIRE project's road map is met to make sure the stakeholders are satified. That certain milestones are met. That certain promises are kept. And that If NEED be, features/products that are not essential for the launch of the product be given less emphasis than the ones that are most critical to launch or "completing" the game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Randy Pitchford: "I used the money Sega gave me to make Borderlands."

Chris Roberts: "Hold my beer."

kunonabi

Why do so many of you hate this game? I have played it. It's not that bad. I think I payed like $54-64 for it and felt I got my monies worth out of it when I was playing it. And if I come back to it later down the road and there's more content, that's only rad.
Yeah, I dont get it. its looked super fun everytime I've seen it played.

MrA

Banned
The goal of Star Citizen is to never finish. If they never stop working on the game, they can get money forever until the day they die! It's like a perpetual funding machine!
They can release the final version and keep milking, fortnite has brought in an order of magnitude greater revenue in 1 year than star citizen has
The Google Trends for Star Citizen seems to be increasing every year as well.

Star Citizen haters are Jesse Pinkman screaming "They can't keep getting away with it."

You love to see ambition be rewarded by core gamers at this scale.
Someone still needs to wrap chris roberts on the wrist and say no bad dog every time he want to add a feature till v 1.0 ships

Nickolaidas

Can't wait to play Squadron 42 when I'm in a nursing home with dementia waiting on the Grim Reaper.
I can see the Grim Reaper coming to your bed, with the game in his hand, offering it to you, you reaching out to take it, he moves away, laughs as he gives you the finger, then takes your life.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As someone who has worked on a smaller team as part of a bigger team... YES, I understand that the physics programming team doesn't draw textures. Do you know what P0, P1, and P2's are? I'm going to assume you do, unlike your assumption that I didn't know that the physics team had nothing to do with drawing of textures.

There are PM for every team, every team is responsible for their part of the project. But there is also someone above all the PM's that makes sure the ENTIRE project's road map is met to make sure the stakeholders are satified. That certain milestones are met. That certain promises are kept. And that If NEED be, features/products that are not essential for the launch of the product be given less emphasis than the ones that are most critical to launch or "completing" the game.
… and while you may not help drawing textures if all your programming tasks are a lot less important than P0’s another team has and you have enough time to ramp up on that tech stack, as a programmer you will switch to help out.

Even with art tasks, there is a lot of tech around the work artists do and tooling that can be built to help them do their work faster and more optimal in terms of exporting it and using it inside the actual game (thinking of DCC tools plugins/extensions, etc…).

Last edited:
… and while you may not help drawing textures if all your programming tasks are a lot less important than P0’s another team has and you have enough time to ramp up on that tech stack, as a programmer you will switch to help out.

… and even with art tasks, there is. A lot of tech around the work artists do and tooling that can be built to help them do their work faster and more optimal in terms of exporting it and using it inside the actual game (thinking of DCC tools plugins/extensions, etc…).
Yes! There are so many talented ppl on this team and on SO MANY teams! They may not be on the same "team" but they are talented and once they are given the task to focus on this one area... can absolutely help! Every single person I have worked with is uber talented, skilled, and has a good attitude. I cannot believe that the Star Citizen team is not absolutely filled with talented ppl... if directed properly could have launched this product years ago!

Ozriel

M$FT
People all like "Star Citizen never coming out" but I'm like "Holy sh**, they're 60% of the way to something awesome."

The problem is when you think of how long it took them to come up with the 60%. And if they keep allowing feature creep distract them, that 40% will take ages to complete.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The problem is when you think of how long it took them to come up with the 60%. And if they keep allowing feature creep distract them, that 40% will take ages to complete.

But think of the alternative...

A ridiculously ambitious game doesn't get attempted to be made? No thanks.

And also, no one is waiting for "completion". This is GAAS after all. People are waiting for fun and apparently the game is already fun for a number of people. Fun is way more important than some arbitrary completion state.

And another thing...CIG is growing considerably this year, which should help speed up dev time.

I love what I'm seeing. This game has real potential, which can't be said for 99 percent of AAA games. People just seem afraid of Star Citizens success.

BigBooper

But think of the alternative...

A ridiculously ambitious game doesn't get attempted to be made? No thanks.

And also, no one is waiting for "completion". This is GAAS after all. People are waiting for fun and apparently the game is already fun for a number of people. Fun is way more important than some arbitrary completion state.

And another thing...CIG is growing considerably this year, which should help speed up dev time.

I love what I'm seeing. This game has real potential, which can't be said for 99 percent of AAA games. People just seem afraid of Star Citizens success.
BS. I paid for Squadron 42 in 2014. I am definitely waiting for the finished game.

anthony2690

Banned
Any off you whales that are supporting Star citizen want to throw me £2100?

My missus got a debt relief order and guess who got lumped with her council tax bill?! This mug here.

I'm still pissed about it.

Joking/venting aside, has anyone here actually pumped large sums into the game? As I always feel like we hear about how much money this game is making, but I haven't ever seen anyone say they pumped money into the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
BS. I paid for Squadron 42 in 2014. I am definitely waiting for the finished game.

Well, did you read the fine print? I assume you knew the risks and what was being attempted.

My advice...don't look at the marshmallow. Just check in once or twice a year and see how progress is going. It's typically slow.

But slow towards something interesting is preferable to fast towards something bland.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I tried it out recently. While it looks stunning and they made a TON of progress, it's obvious that they're just focusing on the wrong things. I appreciate that they want to make the game immersive and emergent but they have it completely backward. Instead of putting something fun to do in the game first, they're adding bedsheet physics fOr rEaLiSm, lol.

That's not to say that there's currently nothing fun to do in the game, because there is, but this is a pretty good example of why it's been stuck in this terrible dev cycle for so long. Plus it's so bizarre that they're not advertising the new features and content better. I just discovered that the game is more fun to play than Elite Dangerous accidentally through a friend. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother checking. Their website is such a mess too, learning about the development progress there is pretty much impossible and you'll have a better chance of seeing its current state by watching random gameplays on YouTube.

No wonder it still has this bad reputation following it around like an eggy fart. I bet that most people calling it "scam citizen" don't even have any idea that the game is actually playable now with quite a lot of content to engage with.

Last edited:

Ribi

2 words: hoes mad

Also see y'all in a week and a half for the free fly

Last edited:

BigBooper

Well, did you read the fine print? I assume you knew the risks and what was being attempted.

My advice...don't look at the marshmallow. Just check in once or twice a year and see how progress is going. It's typically slow.

But slow towards something interesting is preferable to fast towards something bland.
Yes, and at that point they were fundraising a spiritual successor to Wing Commander because publishers wouldn't fund that kind of game anymore. Attached to it was going to be a multi-player component like a Xwing vs Tie fighter clone.

All this space life simulator mmo junk didn't come until they started getting the unending cash flow.

Edit. I reread parts of the original kickstarter. Only part I missed is that they advertised it as more like Freelancer, with a cinematic campaign like Wing Commander in the form of Squadron 42. The full game was supposed to be available as a standalone single player experience.

Last edited:

Nydus

Gold Member
I tried it out recently. While it looks stunning and they made a TON of progress, it's obvious that they're just focusing on the wrong things. I appreciate that they want to make the game immersive and emergent but they have it completely backward. Instead of putting something fun to do in the game first, they're adding bedsheet physics fOr rEaLiSm, lol.

That's not to say that there's currently nothing fun to do in the game, because there is, but this is a pretty good example of why it's been stuck in this terrible dev cycle for so long. Plus it's so bizarre that they're not advertising the new features and content better. I just discovered that the game is more fun to play than Elite Dangerous accidentally through a friend. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother checking. Their website is such a mess too, learning about the development progress there is pretty much impossible and you'll have a better chance of seeing its current state by watching random gameplays on YouTube.

No wonder it still has this bad reputation following it around like an eggy fart. I bet that most people calling it "scam citizen" don't even have any idea that the game is actually playable now with quite a lot of content to engage with.
Do you have examples of what you can do? Your not better then those "scam citizens" if you just say "it's fun".

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Saw in a leak that they hired Amber Heard to mo-cap some....bedside activity on the bedsheets to go with the bedsheet deformation.
Shhh don’t give them any ideas. They already added a “feature” where your character will have a heart attack and die if they exert themselves too much.

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if they make it so you’ll piss & shit yourself if you go too long without using the bathroom. Hell, they are probably hard at work at their turd consistency engine which varies on a continuum from “steak and potatoes” to “spicy Indian food”

TheMan

This feels like an April fools joke.

For real though. It’s painfully obvious that while there is a playable product here, the goal of this development team is not to deliver a game, but to keep developing and reaping that donor cash. Worked pretty well so far

Last edited:
Top Bottom