• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam DIY Portable N64 on Kickstarter is a Scam

maxcriden

This seemed pretty neat to me. Here's the direct link to the KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992016895/n64-portable-console-build-your-own-kit

2efb330803f783e638602fc87e916309_large.png

354d0cca71aef217f6c305a10de773b5_large.png

151e51d7d7e853a0b92c5be3564cbca7_large.png

I wanted an N64 Portable Console for myself because I love the Nintendo 64. When I researched it online there were only a few out there and no one was willing to build me one for less than $1000. Most people can't afford that for a vintage system and I'm one of most. I then began to research building my own. I found many tutorials online showing me how to build my own, and shortly after was in business. I seen, and talked to so many people online who wanted one as well so I decided I would attempt building them for the public. I quickly realized why people were charging an arm and a leg to build one of these. I ran into two issues that lengthened the time it took to build greatly. My two biggest obstacles were gathering the supplies needed for each console separately as orders came in, and creating the case used to house the internal components of the N64 Console. The idea came to me then. If I could take care of these two problems for everyone and offer a kit to put your own console together we could all have N64 Portables, and fast! With these kits I will include every last thing you will need to build your console including a soldering iron, and the exterior case made from a pencil box carrying case. I know everyone will love this idea and I figured it would be a perfect KS campaign. Pledge with me and I will ensure you get one of the first Build your own N64 Portable Kits available. If this campaign is successful I will launch an online market place where people can come to order the kits ask questions and communicate with each other via forums and email.

When the site launches these kits will be priced at $250-$300, but if you pledge now you can receive yours for only $200 including shipping as a thank you for helping get this product out there.

Listed below is everything that will be included in your kit.

1) Step by Step Instruction Guide

2) Nintendo 64 Controller
3) 3.8mm and 4.5mm Gamebit screwdrivers (for taking apart your N64)
4) Batteries (Lithium Polymer)
5) 3.5 inch screen. (7.4 volts and accepts composite input.)
6) Audio Amplifier
7) Copper Ram Heatsinks
8) Soldering Iron

9) Voltage Regulator

10)16v 100UF Capacitor

11) 2K Resistor

12) Charger

13) Protection Circuit
14) Thermal Adhesive Glue ( for gluing components into case and for gluing on heatsinks)
15) Case: pencil box carrying case ready to fit components inside.

Pledges will use their existing N64 console for the components needed. Everything else is supplied. I originally was including the consoles in the kit however each reward level was $50 higher to account for the cost of the consoles. If anyone wants the console included just pledge $50 more than the cost of the reward and let me know in a message so I can include the console for you.

I've always wondered how are companies able to sell these rejiggered systems, especially ones like this that use the same branding/logos etc? I see those systems sold that play both Genesis and SNES games, so what kind of loophole are these groups using to be able to sell these without being gutted by Nintendo, Sega, whoever?

I can't see this lasting long. Especially since it is utilizing the Nintendo logo and claiming to be a mobile N64. Wouldn't a tablet with an N64 emulator be easier?

ultrazilla

I can't see this lasting long. Especially since it is utilizing the Nintendo logo and claiming to be a mobile N64. Wouldn't a tablet with an N64 emulator be easier?

Exactly. Nintendo can very easily argue this device violates all sorts of copyrights and trademarks with the big one being people will think this is an actual Nintendo produced system.

Sandfox

It would probably be cheaper to just buy the parts online and then find instructions online. I've always wanted to do this myself, but I didn't have the money when I was younger so I may look into it again.

cacildo

Im still waiting for a N64 system that can up-res cartrige games like an emulator

That is something i could back up

Jamix012

So you think Nintendo will let this guy make a portable Nintendo 64 system that uses their name and trademarked/copyrighted marks on his product? I don't think so.

Possibly not but he can rename it to like Super 64 or something and say it plays Nintendo 64 games and he can get away with it as long as it releases after the patent lapses.

I would definitely get this if it was prebuilt, but honestly it seems like these parts could be found separately for cheaper plus free online tutorials :shrugs:

Ihaa

Neo Member
This looks so cool! Hopefully it doesn't go down, a lot of people built portable gamecubes/ N^4's wii laptops etc. Although not completely portable, you definitely could play this on a train or car ride.

This looks so cool! Hopefully it doesn't go down, a lot of people built portable gamecubes/ N^4's wii laptops etc. Although not completely portable, you definitely could play this on a train or car ride.

I have to ask: Why not just buy a device that has controls and a N64 emulator?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I'd have to destroy my own console AND put it together using a soldering iron myself?

Does it also come with a kick to the nuts? Because it seems like it is on the same level.

God bless his soul for trying, but If I understand correctly, he is charging you $200 for:

1. Nintendo 64 controller
2. Plastic pencil case with a window cut out for the screen
3. Buying various parts that can be found easily (glue, screen, battery, etc)
4. Instructions

So I'd have to destroy my own console AND put it together using a soldering iron myself?

Does it also come with a kick to the nuts? Because it seems like it is on the same level.

I came here to basically post this but you said it far better than I could have. I want to say something positive here since I like supporting good natured Kickstarters but sorry this is just a failure of an idea. A pre-built portable N64 (with a better casing and shell than an augmented pencil case) would have been fantastic.

"Here's the shit you need to burn yourself with a soldering iron with a high probability you'll fuck up the final product for far more than these individual and easily attainable parts will cost" strikes me as an ill thought out idea. I'd jump on this if the guy was selling decent build quality already constructed portable N64s but creating this shit yourself?

There's just too high a risk that the final product you build will be faulty in some way. The guy's assuming everyone's a skilled engineer. We're not.

haha i have no clue how to build/solder stuff 0_O
i will pay him $200 to make me one , he should add that option

$250- you give him a N64 and controller , covers shipping

$200 would not be too horrible if this was done right. Sadly he seems to working out of his own garage, so it is a horrible.

At the very least, if he had access to a workshop and could use vacuum forming machine he could produce a better case for the thing than a PENCIL CASE.

3bdelilah

Banned
I.... think I would pay for this. Looks way too heavy and uncomfortable to be a portable, though. If only Nintendo would release a portable N64 in the exact same shape as the Wii U Gamepad. *dreaming*

edit: basically what JoeyJungle posted with the GameCube mod. Looks like a Gamepad, I'd pay silly money for a N64 one.

wrowa

Nice scam. Have you guys seen his other failed Kickstarter attempt? Go check it out.

I don't think it's a scam, but it's obvious that he's just someone who likes to tinker around. I'd be hesistant to pledge for his project, since he's quite clearly far from being a professional. Just looking at his Kickstarter page(s) is enough to see that.

Top Bottom