• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scammer now can spoof police phone number

frogger

I got a scam call today. The scammer claimed to be an officer investigating a financial crime. I was suspicious and immediately checked the phone number found it is a real police department number. He already know my address, and asked me to identify myself, I did give him a copy of my passport. He said someone used my information to open bank account overseas for money laundry. He asked to identify which banks I have account. I did tell him which banks I have accounts. He was smart enough to not ask me for more detailed information. At that time, I was more suspicious, I hang up and called the police department with the same number and I was told that officer does not exist. What can they do with my passport information? Maybe I should report stolen passport. I don't see how they can access my bank accounts without more detailed information.

Last edited:

Daxter32jak

How did you give a copy of it? Fax? Email? Text?

I would report it stolen yes. Also when feeling suspicious with law enforcement ask for a supervisor

Now that he knows what bank you use he can use whatever information is available online about you to attempt to reset your password. You will want dual authentication enabled if you have online banking. If whatever password you used for your bank account is used elsewhere he probably has it, password databases get hacked all the time and people can buy lists of passwords people have previously used.

Most likely he just wanted you to identify the banks you used so he can either try to do a password reset or he is going to call them on the phone pretending to be you in order to try to gain access to one of your bank accounts.

DESTROYA

Never give anyone information over the phone you don’t feel comfortable doing so, you should have just said no and If they really need to see you to go down the police station.
What country are you from OP?

TDiddyLive

I would report it stolen yes. Also when feeling suspicious with law enforcement ask for a supervisor

But it wasn’t stolen. Ask the local police if there is anything they can do, but they can’t take a stolen report for something that was never actually taken.

Ask for a supervisor? Over the phone?
Fraud cop: “Give me your personal info.”
OP: (Feeling suspicious) “Can I talk to your supervisor?”
Fraud cop: (Deepens voice) “This is my... errr... his supervisor. Go ahead and give me... errr... him your personal info.
OP: (Relieved) “Not a problem. I am so glad somebody on a message board told me to ask for a supervisor. Now I know my info is safe!”

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I got a scam call today. The scammer claimed to be an officer investigating a financial crime. I was suspicious and immediately checked the phone number found it is a real police department number. He already know my address, and asked me to identify myself, I did give him a copy of my passport. He said someone used my information to open bank account overseas for money laundry. He asked to identify which banks I have account. I did tell him which banks I have accounts. He was smart enough to not ask me for more detailed information. At that time, I was more suspicious, I hang up and called the police department with the same number and I was told that officer does not exist. What can they do with my passport information? Maybe I should report stolen passport. I don't see how they can access my bank accounts without more detailed information.

What can they do with a valid passport number? They can create a fake picture of a passport with a valid number and send to the banks to authenticate as you. You know like "can you email me proof of identification" that the banks will ask him when he calls them because he forgot his password? Which they then use to check with "other service provider" to verify does this passport number exist and does it match <your name> and <date of birth>

Cancel all credit cards right now. Urgently.
Call all banks right now and let them know someone is in the process of trying to defraud you and that they have your personal information and can authenticate as you when they call them. Maybe they can flag your accounts so transfers will not be possible and only in-person transactions at branch near where you live will be possible.
Call the FBI.
Call someone that can help you professionally.

If this actually happened. Your life will absolutely suck for the next few years.

Last edited:
Months ago I received a phone call from some "police department." When I called the place to verify what the call was about they said that scammers were spoofing numbers.

This is why I don’t have a Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. I hate scammers and I hate social media. This forum is the only place I frequent.

Top Bottom