• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarface (1983) : classic or cheesy movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

People I talk to seem to be divided on this.

Some consider it a classic movie, while other says its one of those movies that is so bad that its good. Calling it extremely cheesy n corny.

Your thoughts?

Volimar

It always seemed weird to me how people idolize the film and character. The guy is miserable the whole movie. What kind of life is that?

It's a flawed movie, perhaps intentionally due to it's gangster genre roots, but it's still enjoyable in an 80s time capsule sort of way.

Not DePalma's best, but it's still a solid, entertaining flick. Pacino steals the show & Loggia chews the scenery (which is highly enjoyable IMO).
Unfortunately, like Mann's Manhunter, I think the soundtrack ages it tremendously.

What baffles me is that late 90s/early 2000s movement of young people that somehow completely missed the point of the film & ended up using it as some kind of motivational film. :/

obin_gam

I find it hilarious that so many people misunderstand the whole point of the movie.

You're not suppose to idolize him. You're suppose to despise what he's become.
It's not a tribute to capitalism. It's a comment on how fucked up it is.

Classic. Where else are you going to get humor like this?

tumblr_ncetk8tMPA1tl7elpo1_500.gif

tumblr_ncetk8tMPA1tl7elpo2_500.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Cheesy. The 1932 version is better.

ICKE

Banned
It was decent entertainment but people who bring this movie as some kind of a master piece are out of their minds. It is very cheesy.

I just don't like the subculture that revolves around movies like Scarface and the Wolf of Wall Street, just knowing about people who idolize these characters just makes me not want to enjoy the movie.

Rembrandt

Banned
Neither. Good movie that's overrated and the sub culture revolving around it is dog shit terrible.

Just like the subculture revolving around movies like goodfellas and mafia movies, right? People like charismatic bad guys. I don't get why scarface always seems to get singled out.

But anyways, great movie. I love it.

Neither. Good movie that's overrated and the sub culture revolving around it is dog shit terrible.

Agreed. Especially about the sub culture that seems to worship the lead character.

There's a lot of love for the rags to riches criminal empire archetype in general.

image.php

Kurdel

Banned
Define cheesy?

It is most definitely a classic, but I would be curious to see what people think cheesy means in the context of a drug kingpin movie.

Define cheesy?

It is most definitely a classic, but I would be curious to see what people think cheesy means in the context of a drug kingpin movie.
It was the early 80's in Miami I don't find it cheesy at all.
The ending shoot-out was like no other.

Heh no one remembers the shooter aka terminator blasting tony. I gotta say when he killed Manny he knew he fucked up bad, my alternate ending would've been him and manny fucking everyone up and movie ends with tony and manny declaring war on Sosa.
Skull.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom