• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson Reportedly Asked Disney for $100M Due to Black Widow's Day and Date Release

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Ill-advised move by her team. She will miss out on future millions due to greed. 😒
It's not greed. It was in her contract. It was for her to get a box office % of profits. The contract said nothing about the movie going to streaming day and date. That decision was made after the contract was signed and when Covid hit......................... Use you head!

NickFire

Well, if her contract called for theatrical only, then I still think Disney was wrong for releasing on Disney + without her agreement. But my gosh, if she was really demanding to be paid as if this movie would gross 1.2 billion, that just doesn't sound like someone who intended to make a fair deal under really bad circumstances to me (and with a partner who helped make her massive piles of cash already). I 100% understand how negotiations work, but sometimes people start off so unreasonably and kill any chance of a deal before they even get started. Sounds like the case here in my opinion.

sol_bad

Can she use the rock and Jungle Cruise as some sort of call out? He got more money than her for a worse performing film.

NahaNago

I doubt it was going to do 1b regardless of COVID ... post ENDGAME....

After watching it I feel it was worst than Captian Flatass ...
That is going a little too far imo. Black Widow's sister was awesome and i really enjoyed the red guardian character. It is just the villains were terrible in this movie.

Seems fine. You start high, there's bargaining, then there's compromise. You don't start out asking for the actual amount you expect. This is so common in lawsuits even I know about it.
Her lawyers should have asked for 200MM based on a 3B BO take then. I mean you start high after all to try to compromise later.

It's common in any bargain, but your initial asking price has to be within the realm of possibilities. 1.2B for Black Widow is laughable pre covid and impossible post covid without a China release. Not realistic at all.

NickFire

She didn't "throw a fit" until after the movie released.
Why is The Rock entitled to a higher pay grade by default?
Feels like a rabbit hole is opening up here.

Why would you compare the two? He's a step up in terms of draw, but putting that aside their salary was virtually the same. And she was given back end money that could have pushed her way past him had there been no covid, right?

Quixz

It's not greed. It was in her contract. It was for her to get a box office % of profits. The contract said nothing about the movie going to streaming day and date. That decision was made after the contract was signed and when Covid hit......................... Use you head!

We don't know the contents of the contract but covid changed everything, the House of Mouse is not in the business of losing money. 😅

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
We don't know the contents of the contract but covid changed everything, the House of Mouse is not in the business of losing money. 😅

Yep, thats the problem, none of us know what the contract said, and lawyers are pretty good about putting just in case wording in things, such as "subject to change". This lawsuit is a big deal though as it could set the precedent as to what is legally acceptable for these contracts

I will say something in her favor though, and that is if this was Robert Downey Jr, everyone including Disney wouldnt dare let this even get to the point of a lawsuit, they'd just pay the man. She is no RDJ, but she is a major figure and I do think sexism has an effect on opinions in this (again shouldnt matter in the courts, but does matter from public opinon)

Contrary to Johanssen the greedy b*tch, RDJ fought for a better pay for his co-stars. That's why he refused to sign up to the Avengers sequel unless his co-stars got a better deal.

sol_bad

Feels like a rabbit hole is opening up here.

Why would you compare the two? He's a step up in terms of draw, but putting that aside their salary was virtually the same. And she was given back end money that could have pushed her way past him had there been no covid, right?

I'm talking about the current situation, The Rock was paid more than Scarlet on a lesser performing film. It makes no sense.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
How it it that the mob is after billionaires but is totally fine with talentless hacks like Scar Lo getting (or even asking for) 20-100 mill for a couple of months work.

I think the disappointing box office results had more to do with the fact that her character is dead, rather than the quality of the movie itself. People said goodbye to her in Endgame, and that makes it hard for audiences to reinvest themselves in the character. Polls and reviews show that those who saw the movie generally liked it, but there was simply no hype for it at all.

Here in the Netherlands barely anyone went to see it, so the movie quickly got reduced to only a few screenings per day, whereas Shang Chi is currently filling up theaters everywhere. I usually book tickets for all the big releases (have a subscription) at our biggest IMAX theater in Amsterdam and Black Widow had plenty of free seats in the first week, unlike movies like Free Guy and Shang Chi.

They should have released the movie before Infinity War, when people were still somewhat invested in her characters, but even then there was no chance in hell it was going to do a billion dollars or more. I'd expect it to have done similarly to an Ant-Man or a similar side-character. She just doesn't have the appeal of an Iron Man or Captain America, and the PR tour for the movie where Scarlet and producers accused previous marvel movies (and specifically Jon Favreau) of being sexist also did not help.

Never mind the fact that Black Widow has the longest and most pointless ass-tracking-shot of any of the movies she's been in. Those of you who have seen it probably know which scene I'm talking about.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hawkeye, Falcon and Black widow, would anyone really even notice if they disappeared from the future movies?
Falcon and Black Widow, yes. I mean BW super power is… karate?
Falcon? Remove the wings and put it on anyone and they’ll do better.
I disagree with you on Hawkeye. dude has insane aim that could be very useful and it is very unique to him.

Keihart

Falcon and Black Widow, yes. I mean BW super power is… karate?
Falcon? Remove the wings and put it on anyone and they’ll do better.
I disagree with you on Hawkeye. dude has insane aim that could be very useful and it is very unique to him.
Isn't there like at least 20 other heroes in the DC universe alone with the same super power?

Top Bottom