• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Streaming Release

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good for her.
A contract has obligations for all parties.

Lol at the morons calling her greedy.
i guess you are one of those people that don't like to get paid in exposure and experience

The Mouse definitely fucked her.
d48a2771dbdea6522a6764a3e2b1975d.jpg

he didn't even smoke after he fucked her

Last edited:
Salt boys gonna stay salty but if she had a contract and they breached it, then fuck Disney. Really eye-opening seeing the posters so far in here defending THE EVIL LIBTARD WOKE HOLLYWOOD DISNEY which they hate so much. I'm sure you would all love to be cucked by your employer and have your contract completely ignored and possibly losing millions of dollars. Probably the type of dudes to work off the clock when their boss asks them to stay.

MastaKiiLA

If she was promised in writing that they would renegotiate upon changes to the release plan, then she's got a point. A legal case? I don't know, but she'd definitely be right to claim having been wronged.

Boss Mog

shes not telling people to go to theaters...but they cost her 50 million...fucking morons going to act like they would just shrug off 50 million
My bad, I didn't see the part where her contract specifically stated exclusivity to theaters upon release. So yeah she has a case then. I just thought her contract gave her a cut of the box office and she was pissed that Disney released it on Disney+ thinking that it wasn't in her contract that it was exclusive to theaters.

epicnemesis

There is no way that 50 million dollar figure is grounded in reality. They must be doing something dumb like base the figure off endgame numbers. Still, that seems like a strong case for SOME recourse.

dr_octagon

Banned
some of these posts need to be more clickbaity

'Well respected company justified to refuse contract negotiation with rich, entitled Black woman who should be grateful for paycheck'

sol_bad

There is no way that 50 million dollar figure is grounded in reality. They must be doing something dumb like base the figure off endgame numbers. Still, that seems like a strong case for SOME recourse.

It's based on 5 of the last 6 movies making over 1 billion and 3 of the last 9 movies making over 800 million.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
some of these posts need to be more clickbaity

'Well respected company justified to refuse contract negotiation with rich, entitled Black woman who should be grateful for paycheck'
Depends on which way you want to go:
"Rich, privelidged white woman demands fifty million dollars from racially and LGBTQ+ diverse company that employs thousands of minorities"
Or
"Massive billion dollar media conglomerate refuses to pay employee because she is a woman"

ManaByte

“There is no merit whatsoever to this filing,” Disney said in an unusually fiery statement. “The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The company went on to state that the star has already received $20 million for her work and argued that “…the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.” Disney did not provide any information about whether or not Johansson’s pact was renegotiated so that she could share in streaming rental revenue.

dr_octagon

Banned
companies fall back on covid for everything, Disney being cunts again. we know it was an unprecedented event but over a year and a half, using emotive language to make it seem raising a dispute as unreasonable

jadedm17

They go to court not because they didn't get rich, but because they didn't get rich enough. There are no victims here.
Did you even read the article or are you just trolling?

She's going to court over breach of contract based on how she agreed to be paid, which was a percentage of what it made in theatres; Disney cut that to shreds putting it on their streaming platform and should pay her more based on that.
"She's rich enough" is a ridiculous mindset and you're acting like she should have done this movie for free.
There is a valid point to be made and she deserves the rightful compensation for her work.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
My god, she got 15 million dollars for Black Widow, 35 million for Avengers and is the highest paid actress in Hollywood.
What a greedy c*nt!

That 15 Million is not all up front. Some of the money is contingent on box office performance which is similar to older contracts of chris evans, hemsworth. She literally didn't talk about this during promotion of the film, which shows professionalism.

Disney did this on purpose as a way to get more money upfront, but in doing so it breaches the contract.

Disney fucked her over.

Last edited:

ManaByte

That 15 Million is not all up front. Some of the money is contingent on box office performance which is similar to older contracts of chris evans, hemsworth. She literally didn't talk about this during promotion of the film, which shows professionalism.

Disney did this on purpose as a way to get more money upfront, but in doing so it breaches the contract.

Disney fucked her over.

She was already paid $20M.

Batiman

Banned
Good for her. I love most of Disney’s output ngl but she has to respect herself and get what she deserves whether that causes internet idiots to attack her for being “greedy”

Really eye-opening seeing the posters so far in here defending THE EVIL LIBTARD WOKE HOLLYWOOD DISNEY which they hate so much.

I'm not defending Disney, but I also don't support greed. Technically she might be right, but morally she got more than enough compensation. Especially when considering that she's one of the best paid people in Hollywood because she got the chance to star in these movies.
That's the difference between positivism and a naturalistic definition of justice.

EekTheKat

Am I reading that right? Disney played the paid in exposure card on...Scarlett Johansson?

Also of note - Scarlett is listed as Executive Producer on this movie - that may mean her deal with Disney may be more complicated. It may not be exactly as simple as her being just an actress on this film.

I'm not defending Disney, but I also don't support greed. Technically she might be right, but morally she got more than enough compensation. Especially when considering that she's one of the best paid people in Hollywood because she got the chance to star in these movies.
That's the difference between positivism and a naturalistic definition of justice.

Nah, if she earned that money then give it to her. However, I realize corporations are people too and the right and moral thing for Disney to do would be to decide, after the fact of signing a contract, that she shouldn't get the money because she's already earned too much.

Jack Uzi

Banned
With the multiverse now open they don’t need her to return. Everyone is disposable in the MCU now. Good luck Scarlett Joe Hansen.

Burnttips

It depends on when the contract was made. Disney could not have known that COVID was going to hit. Theaters are still suffering. You simps would need to see the contract and if it had sales goals that would be impossible to reach.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
When has she carried a movie to box office success?

The best grossing movie in which she was the key character before this was Lucy and that shit tanked hard.

Just accept your don’t have the pull to surpass Gal Gadot and move on with your life.

For real though. If it's a breach of contract then she has a case here and with her probably staying dead in the mcu forever she said fuck it, I am gonna burn that bridge and sue to get the most cash out of them that I can.

WB had at least the decency to pay Jenkins and Gal off when it came out on HBO Max and they were pissed.

One actress plays Wonder Woman, the other one plays a character that was made for the purpose of not calling The Avengers an all macho show.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
It depends on when the contract was made. Disney could not have known that COVID was going to hit. Theaters are still suffering. You simps would need to see the contract and if it had sales goals that would be impossible to reach.
have you seen the contract?

Burnttips

have you seen the contract?
It’s probably like most actors contacts. Reach a sales goal and get a bonus. I’ve never seen one that paid a percentage of a ticket. If those goals could not be realistically be reached do to a pandemic than Disney has the right to do as they please. It was a pro consumer move which we all should applaud. But simps going to simp.

dr_octagon

Banned
It’s probably like most actors contacts. Reach a sales goal and get a bonus. I’ve never seen one that paid a percentage of a ticket. If those goals could not be realistically be reached do to a pandemic than Disney has the right to do as they please. It was a pro consumer move which we all should applaud. But simps going to simp.
Disney's business decisions, white asian robot woman and simpness aside

the point is about an employee challenging the employer on agreed payment. it's a principle both parties should behave reasonably, acting as expected and follow the agreement. nobody has seen the contract so all we can do is the specdilation.

Last edited:
The legitimacy of her claim non-withstanding... I am sick to fucking death of seeing people who are already unbelievably wealthy engage in this kind of chiseling.

I hope it costs both parties lots of that precious money that is so precious to them.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yes, she should get what her agreement states. That said, I don't think anyone is worth the amount of money these people make, even when they get screwed over.

mcjmetroid

Get that bag.

Disney is just mad someone beat them at their own game.

They are one of the pettiest, greediest companies you'll find.

They screwed over Robin Williams, Daft Punk, and many many others and now wanna play victim?

F that.

Yes, By default Disney are the worst and I love seeing people stick it to them!

I think what gets me is posters who just see rich people as rich people who should be happy because they're rich. Just because the poster would be absolutely delighted with anything past 10000 dollars a sense of bitterness comes through when discussing the wealthy.

No.... believe it or not they are people too and if they got fucked over on a contract they have the right to sue. Just like us mere mortals have a right to dispute an issue in our own work contracts. Or dispute any time when we feel we've been ripped off.

I'm sure people will fall for the " wahhh covid" response but please.. be a little more intelligent than that... Leave that to Twitter and Facebook comments.

Of I was Disney I would have said the exact same thing as them. It's smart deflection.

Top Bottom