• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA hires new advertising agency

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Saw gofreak post about this in the PS meeting thread and with all the talk about Sly getting no marketing I thought it deserved its own thread.

Jeffrey Grub said:
The PlayStation brand gets a new advertising agency — Sony ends relationship with firm behind ‘Michael’ spot

Sony wants something new for its PlayStation marketing campaigns.

The multimedia conglomerate announced today that it is replacing advertising firm Deutsch with Bartle, Bogle, Hegarty New York, or BBH New York. This new firm is best known for its work promoting Google’s Chrome web browser, Axe body spray, and Coca-cola’s Sprite soft drink.

“All of the participating agencies, 180LA, Anomaly, BBH New York and Deutsch presented outstanding ideas during the process,” PlayStation brand marketing senior vice president Guy Longworth said in a statement. “But after careful consideration, BBH New York is the best partner for our business.”

Sony refused to comment about why it decided to make a change in marketing its PlayStation products at this time. It’s possible that company is just looking for something new before it launches its new home console, which is predicted to debut as early as this fall.

“PlayStation is one of the most exciting and coveted brands in the world, so we’re thrilled and humbled to partner with SCEA,” BBH New York chief creative officer John Patroulis said. “They have a smart and ambitious team and we can’t wait to get started.”

BBH New York’s work on its Google Chrome account is well noted for its affecting ads. The firm does an excellent job eliciting an emotional response while demonstrating the Chrome product in a commercial called Dear Sophie.

“Deutsch has been an incredible partner for PlayStation over the last six years, and has delivered stand-out creative and strategy for the PlayStation brand in the US. We would like to thank them for their dedicated service to our business,” Longworth added.

This ends the six-year relationship Sony had with Deutsh, which created memorable television spots like a PlayStation ad where various characters from games talk about a fictional gamer named Michael.

Sony has had a perceived lack of marketing for many of its recent products. Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time, which debuts at retail today (here’s our review), received almost no advertising support at all. It’s possible that Sony’s interview process for a new ad agency interrupted marketing, but a company spokesperson would not comment on that.

This article notes:

At BBH New York, now led by Chief Creative Officer John Patroulis, it will be interesting to see the new developments in PS creative. Patroulis,of course, made a mark on the videogame category while at agencytwofifteen, T.A.G./McCann San Francisco, where he helped create high-profile campaigns for X-Box, including the much-celebrated Halo "Believe."
http://creativity-online.com/news/sony-playstation-leaves-deutsch-la-for-bbh-new-york/239621

Here's some of their previous work for other clients:
Axe - Susan Glenn
Google - Dear Sophie
Sprite - Camouflage

And here's the old Michael ad from Deutsh for those who don't remember it.

Derrick01

Banned
Don't really know if these new guys are any good but honestly could you go any lower than no advertising? Anything is better at this point.

Gorillaz

Wow they might actually......

Can't believe I'm saying this.....but

Will...the marketing.....actually be....Better? This has to be a dream.

They definitely need it.

iyNKhjCPJLQQO.gif

CronoShot

Thank god.

Priority one: properly advertise the Vita. It's not a portable PS3, and you can't (mostly) play online games over 3G. Stop saying that.

EDIT: The Chrome and Axe commercials are terrific. Sprite one is okay, not sure what all that has to do with soda though.

Their Sophie commercial was dope. The Susan Glen one is pretty sick too (though it doesn't really fit Axe imo).

I definitely think Sony went with a good choice overall but there's a definitive nostalgia angle present in a lot of this companies ads. Will that be the angle?

Sony: Times are hard, we must cut advertising budgets to the bone. What can you do for us?

BBH: Umm... We could do promotion on social networks?

Sony: You've got the job!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
thank KAZ
Guy Longworth seems to be the one behind the move.

Andrew McMains said:
Four Shops Vie for Sony PlayStation

About five years after hiring Deutsch/LA as its lead agency, the company is considering a change. The incumbent is defending its turf against three other shops; sources identified them as 180LA, Bartle Bogle Hegarty and Anomaly.

The four contenders are now developing ideas for final presentations, which are expected to take place in late January or early February.

PlayStation spent about $56 million on media in 2011, down slightly from nearly $58 million in 2010, according to Nielsen. Those figures don’t include online spending.

Deutsch handles both creative and media responsibilities on PlayStation. The marketer’s plans for the media business were not clear.

A key decision-maker in the review is Guy Longworth, svp of brand marketing. Longworth joined SCEA in October 2011. Early in his career, he worked in brand management at Kraft Foods and in marketing at Kellogg.

In a statement, Longworth acknowledged the review, saying, "We are always looking for ways to improve our advertising and we are conducting conversations with potential agency partners as well as Deutsch for future work."

A representative for PlayStation parent Sony Computer Entertainment America declined to answer questions about the process.

Before Deutsch, TBWA\Chiat\Day was PlayStation’s lead creative agency in the U.S. TBWA\C\D handled the business for 13 years.

I hope if they create a good avert SCEE uses it and vice versa.

Seems like a waste of money both wings of the company make completely different adverts for everything. I dont think any other game company does that.

Unless they are gonna commit to increasing the budget for advertising I think this changes little. Would have been nice to announce that along with BBH getting the account.

Priority one: properly advertise the Vita. It's not a portable PS3, and you can't (mostly) play online games over 3G. Stop saying that.

That's Sony's call, the agency will do what they're told. This move does imply an acknowledgement of a problem though, maybe they'll move in a new direction on the message front.

Boss Man

Probably the best move they could have made, and that's including all of the tech talk and first party threads we've had.

Into

Their Chrome and Axe commercials are great

We will see the commercials in a few months i am sure.

Reversed

DarҖaoZ;47344069 said:
Good, lets hope they don't do creepy stuff.

But that's what they did best in their PS2 ads! I want that quality back.

Though I agree the first PS3 commercials were not a good plan.

Midou

The Axe and Google ones were deep, the Sprite one was a simple concept but not bad either. A new agency is a great idea for them, I don't see how anyone greenlit those awful baby ones, the racist PSP ones, or everything inbetween.

Stealth Edit: Though I think PSP ones were SCEE.

The Michael ad and the Kevin Butler stuff was good, but the live action PSASBR "trailer" was horrifically bad.

The Sophie Lee ad was great, I remember that one. Hopefully they can get some good advertising out for Sony.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
baby0wu8b.gif

Good for them, especially as they are about to enter the next generation. It'll be nice to see what quirky things the new firm can come up with.

btkadams

Guy Longworth seems to be the one behind the move.

~50 million on advertising in a year? didn't microsoft spend half a billion on advertising the kinect peripheral?

marketing isn't the only answer to increasing sales, but damn that seems like a huge difference between competitors.

Top Bottom