• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE announces NEW ps3 STARTER PACK

_leech_ said:
So adding two games plus an extra controller for the same price isn't adding value to the package? I'm curious, what's your definition of value?

\/

The Faceless Master said:
the problem is the price isn't lower, and people value money more than anything else

The extra controller is cool, but I don't like pack-in games excepting very rare circumstances where it lines up perfectly with my buying habits.

Ashhong said:
and people that value money wont like the money thats saved in buying this bundle?

Value is uniquely assigned by the consumer, not the manufacturer.

GenericPseudonym said:
Heavenly Sword isn't even out yet! Its debuting as a pack-in! No MS first-party title to my knowledge is like that.
Crackdown, day one, free with any new 360 in my town. Same for Gears and Forza 2.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
beerbelly said:
2 Controllers but neither game have 2 player modes.

:lol I didn't think about that. Still seems like a pretty good deal overall.

If I was buying a PS3 tho I'd rather get Resistance pack in tho.

indie85

Banned
urghh, i suspect this thread was a stealth troll. This isnt a new starter pack, Euros have chosen which two games they want with their ps3 + extra controller since july.

No_Style

GenericPseudonym said:
Heavenly Sword isn't even out yet! Its debuting as a pack-in! No MS first-party title to my knowledge is like that.

Forza 2 says, "Salutations".

Never a debut, but relatively quick:

PGR3

Burai

shitonmychest57
Crisis said:
It's a good value no question. But a lot of people will still balk at that price.

Problem is that a lot of stores are still selling "solus" packs in bundles and at much better value.

Like this from Blockbuster:

ps3deal.jpg

For the same price as that Starter Pack.

These new packs from Sony are just crap compared to what people have been able to buy for months now.

Ashhong said:
and people that value money wont like the money thats saved in buying this bundle?

It's not really the value in itself it's just that the entry price is really really damn high to get in the first place to game on a PS3.

Ashhong said:
no, they'll value the money saved by the ps3 having a lower price.

basically, you could pack in 4 controllers, 4 games and charge 599 for it and alot of people would still balk at the value because it's still ____ _______ ______-____

Mmmkay

indie85 said:
urghh, i suspect this thread was a stealth troll. This isnt a new starter pack, Euros have chosen which two games they want with their ps3 + extra controller since july.
You clearly don't read enough Robinspain posts. And this is a new Official Starter Pack, not related to the bundles stores offer independently.

spwolf

The Faceless Master said:
the problem is the price isn't lower, and people value money more than anything else

sure, if you wouldnt buy those games or controller... but most people do buy games and extra controller.

F1 is 3rd best selling PS3 game in Europe (MS and Resistance are 2,1, and were offered in packing before), and HS is highly anticipated blockbuster.

I have 7-8 different PS3 games + extra controller... this offer would make sense for me, if I didnt have PS3.

And you save 170 Euro compared to normal Euro pricing.

beerbelly said:
2 Controllers but neither game have 2 player modes.
obvously the second controller is to combat complaints about the controller not having a removable battery

Blueblur1 said:
60GB in Europe's always had the Emotion Engine ripped out. Not surprised. Plus, SCEE president said he hates the 80GB SKU.
they had 60GB units in europe since when!?

Jacobi

Banned
No price-cut before or after X_Mas is still a pretty freaking dumb move, if this actually happens, I'll rolleyes. Also they should have packed in GT5 Prologue, that woudl have been a better fit.

Amir0x said:
then the package is worth, what, ten bucks max?

:lol

Well. Thats why i wish it was Lair instead of F1 cause both are PS3 titles for September, and i don't think anyone wants an older game.

Lair is (sadly) not going to sell well, so instead of burying it in Mexico, bundle it together so people say "ZOMG! NEW GAMES! HALO BUNDLE FTL!" or something like that... u know...

Sadly, it does look like Sony wants to win some market before Halo Season kicks in...

indie85

Banned
Mmmkay said:
You clearly don't read enough Robinspain posts. And this is a new Official Starter Pack, not related to the bundles stores offer independently.
Well the stores have only offered two games when sony announced the starter pack so they are directly related, when heavenly sword comes out, it will no doubt be one of the games offered.
Im expecting 10 pages of OMG is that it sony lolz.

Blueblur1 said:
60GB in Europe's always had the Emotion Engine ripped out. Not surprised. Plus, SCEE president said he hates the 80GB SKU.

Why would he hate the 80 GB SKU? It's not like over time sticking to 60GB HDD over 80GB would be anymore cost effective due to HDD manufacturing processes.

rhfb said:
I miss the days of the SINGLE SKU.

DIAF Sony and Microsoft and your multiple SKUs.

Yeah, I remember the days where Nintendo only provided a barebones NES and I went to the store and bought the Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo cart and a separate Zapper unit.

spwolf

Burai said:
Problem is that a lot of stores are still selling "solus" packs in bundles and at much better value.

Like this from Blockbuster:

ps3deal.jpg

For the same price as that Starter Pack.

These new packs from Sony are just crap compared to what people have been able to buy for months now.

eh, not really... those will run out eventually... What Sony is giving you there is 2 games + controller, and BB is giving you BD movies and cable.

Once starter pack starts selling, there is no reason stores wont still give you free BD movies and cables.

Like in Germany, they give you out free race wheel with Starter pack, from the store.

Reason that happens is that stores make money on PS3 in Europe, so they can discount it, unlike in USA where no store can give PS3 discount.

Amir0x

Banned
Grayman said:
It was my tax return money, and my job hadn't screwed me over on pay yet! I just couldn't say no to all Sony's soon to come exclusives.

yeah i will get a PS3 sometime in the future... maybe next Christmas though. I hope I don't miss out on the height of Warhawking though...

Mmmkay

indie85 said:
Well the stores have only offered two games when sony announced the starter pack so they are directly related, when heavenly sword comes out, it will no doubt be one of the games offered.
Im expecting 10 pages of OMG is that it sony lolz.
And how many vanilla 60GB units do you think retailers have left? The entire point of those store promotions were to shift the remaining stock, which according to Reeves isn't getting replenished. Does this mean there will be a point when only the Starter Pack will be available? I don't know. I'd expect a new package or price cut to arrive when we reach that point.

OK i just realize that this bundle is gonna crash and burn. Hell, even my idea of HS and Lair would crash and burn..

I mean... they are selling TWO controllers, yet both games are single-player games... where the hell does the second controller go?!! Definitely not in my ass...!

shagg_187 said:
OK i just realize that this bundle is gonna crash and burn. Hell, even my idea of HS and Lair would crash and burn..

I mean... they are selling TWO controllers, yet both games are single-player games... where the hell does the second controller go?!! Definitely not in my ass...!

PS2 games?

Doc Evils

Why doesn't Sony just release the console it self for £299?

People get scared away from high prices, even though it may be a good deal. Why don't they just let people choose what games they want to get & also help increase sales because of a low price point appeal.

/facepalm

GenericPseudonym said:
Were talking about a manufacturer bundle, not a retailer one.
Retailers cut the deals directly with the publisher. If Microsoft says give it away with a 360 they do so.

I am looking at
Xbox 360 Premium Console
Blue Dragon
Gears of War
PGR 3
Live Arcade
Extra Official Wireless Controller

This costs €420

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
RiskyChris said:
I was praying that Sony wouldn't be trying the PSP model of increasing the "value" of the SKUs. Please don't let this be their business model for much longer.

=(

I don't like it as much as the next guy, but they really don't have options at this point. Lowering the price more would actually be way more costly then doing value packs. I don't think MS is being much more successful at reigning in costs of the console, which is why we're going to keep seeing these types of deals.

MS got bit when the consoles had large failure rates and the die shrink took longer than anticipated. Sony got bit when the inclusion of BD threw price through the roof and (completely opinion) didn't catch on as fast as they've anticipated, bringing costs down.

EDIT: God forgive my poor grammar.

FrankT

Grayman said:
After tax it cost me about that much to get a PS3, RR7, and second controller at costco.

You put some extra warranty coverage on that or something? I'm getting about $660 US with an 8% sales tax. Unless of course you went with the 80GB.

Visualante said:
Retailers cut the deals directly with the publisher. If Microsoft says give it away with a 360 they do so.

I am looking at
Xbox 360 Premium Console
Blue Dragon
Gears of War
PGR 3
Live Arcade
Extra Official Wireless Controller

This costs €420

Those bundles vary from market to market and retailer to retailer. I can pick up an Xbox 360 with Forza 2 packed in almost anywhere, the whole in-box thing is kind of necessary for it to be a pack-in.

Haunted

Stop increasing the value and bring the fucking price down, Sony!
emot-argh.gif

PS3 with 4 controllers and 10 games for 599€ in 2010 confirmed.

the_id

SCEE should include some PSN games in there like Superstardust HD and Calling All cars.
fuck, give them warhawk in the harddisk as well!!! stupid sony. they should make me CEO of that company. i'm smart.

Mmmkay

GenericPseudonym said:
Those bundles vary from market to market and retailer to retailer. I can pick up an Xbox 360 with Forza 2 packed in almost anywhere, the whole in-box thing is kind of necessary for it to be a pack-in.
To answer your question, there was an official Gears of War bundle that came out in Europe a week after the game launched.

Elios83

Old news actually ;) European websites knew about this bundle before GC, in fact I was surprised to see that it was not announced there.
Reeves said they needed a bundle without the 18+ sticker on it (because of Resistance). I think this offers good value but it won't last long. In October we're going to see much more interesting things announced. It will be interesting to see if they cut the price while keeping the bundle or directly go a bigger price cut or both.
SCEA should copy this kind of bundle for the holyday season coupled with a 499$ price.

Top Bottom