• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE announces NEW ps3 STARTER PACK

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Most ridiculous thing is, that they did not cut the price for the simple 60gb PS3.
So in stores, there is a PS3 with 1 Controller and no games for 599€ and right next to it a package with 2 controllers and 2 games for the same price:lol

Oh well....lot's of consoles will gather dust i think...

Des0lar said:
Most ridiculous thing is, that they did not cut the price for the simple 60gb PS3.
So in stores, there is a PS3 with 1 Controller and no games for 599€ and right next to it a package with 2 controllers and 2 games for the same price:lol

They are allowed to give away a standard machine with two retail copies of the bundled games and the extra controller accessory. If they run out of the bundle.

The new pack is less awesome than the current pack:

ps3box.jpg

qirex99

Banned
qirex said:
You'd think the effect of the price drop on US sales would tell them something...

one would think...

oh btw...we finally MEET!

another wipeout fan I take?

I actually had qirex as a license plate for a couple of years!

Elios83

Des0lar said:

Umm no that's not from Sony, right now Sony sells PS3 in Europe exclusively through the starter pack.
If a few retailers are still selling the PS3 alone at 599€,well they're playing dirty hoping to fool someone because they should give two games from SCEE and a second controller with it, even separetely, for the same price.

Norse

fistfulofmetal said:
You act as if it's not being sold separately.

I dont see it that way..you are trying to twist what he is trying to say. A game like heavenly sword shouldnt be launched as a pack-in. And You know this too.

GenericPseudonym said:
Heavenly Sword isn't even out yet! Its debuting as a pack-in! No MS first-party title to my knowledge is like that.
No MS 2 games bundle has been sold for 600€ either, different companies have different bundles, no big deal.

f@luS

More than a member.
GenericPseudonym said:
Heavenly Sword isn't even out yet! Its debuting as a pack-in! No MS first-party title to my knowledge is like that.
forza 2 here says hi

Kosma

Banned
Jesus Sony just drop the damn price, no one wants F1. At least give me the option between the value pack and a core one or something.

PS:For people saying they never saw MS pack in a brand new game with the 360..Both Gears and Forza packs where available day here in Europe.

Grayman

Jtyettis said:
You put some extra warranty coverage on that or something? I'm getting about $660 US with an 8% sales tax. Unless of course you went with the 80GB.
659 CDN
+rr7
+sixaxis
was 750 i think
+13% tax

bonus part about that price, they didn't even question it that someone who works in the store gutted the box and put a PS2 in it. I think walmart might have arrested me if I took back a product and accused them of stealing from me.

Amir0x said:
yeah i will get a PS3 sometime in the future... maybe next Christmas though. I hope I don't miss out on the height of Warhawking though...
Warhawk will hopefully have some legs. I haven't played it for a few days but it is really fun.

If you are putting off the PS3 wait for a really good price drop for sure. The blu ray deal and price dropped happened very shortly after I bought mine and I had to justify a few hours of Calling all cars and tekken being worth more than 100 dollars.

pilonv1

Interesting to see HS in there, something makes me think they're not confident of it doing well at retail. It's also less interesting than the Resistance & Motorstorm bundle.

I guess they're just going to do the PSP route with bundling, refreshing it every few months with a "new" first party title.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
oo Kosma oo said:
Jesus Sony just drop the damn price, no one wants F1. At least give me the option between the value pack and a core one or something.

PS:For people saying they never saw MS pack in a brand new game with the 360..Both Gears and Forza packs where available day here in Europe.
In some stores they let you choose the two First Party games. play online, I believe was one of them.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
spwolf said:
except that there has been an increase... 102% in July in USA, 60% in Europe...

Problem is, they can increase by 102% all day long, it doesn't bring them any closer to the 360 or Wii in the US. In fact, since the release of the PS3, Sony has only fallen FURTHER behind in the US, instead of making up ground. WW is a different story, but no one has a clue what total sales are in Europe thanks to the non leakage of hardware numbers.

If Sony can't consistently outsell the 360 in NA by the middle of the 2nd quarter (not financial quarter for you sales-age folk) 2008, then the last flammable person should make their way overboard. However, given MS' ability to drop the ball, it could just be a race to see who fecks up the most.

Core407

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Problem is, they can increase by 102% all day long, it doesn't bring them any closer to the 360 or Wii in the US. In fact, since the release of the PS3, Sony has only fallen FURTHER behind in the US, instead of making up ground. WW is a different story, but no one has a clue what total sales are in Europe thanks to the non leakage of hardware numbers.

If Sony can't consistently outsell the 360 in NA by the middle of the 2nd quarter (not financial quarter for you sales-age folk) 2008, then the last flammable person should make their way overboard. However, given MS' ability to drop the ball, it could just be a race to see who fecks up the most.

If you compare Sony and MS first year for their consoles, you'll realize the PS3 is outpacing the 360.

jett

D-Member
Starter pack...no thanks. Just price drop the freaking hardware and let me decide what games to get.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Core407 said:
If you compare Sony and MS first year for their consoles, you'll realize the PS3 is outpacing the 360.

Awesome, now let's just tell MS to quit selling consoles for a year so they can be on a level playing field......Really, how does this make it better? How many more months of sub 175k sales can Sony have before they fall behind? We do all realize the first few months is the reason Sony has even held pace, right?

Furthermore, it still doesn't make a difference how they're doing compared to the 360's first year if they continue to be outsold month to month. 3rd place is not the spot I want to see them and I'm certain it's not the spot they want to be, but if they kept some of your guys logic, that's exactly where they're going to be.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Visualante said:
They are allowed to give away a standard machine with two retail copies of the bundled games and the extra controller accessory. If they run out of the bundle.

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks man.

koam

DeceitDecide said:
Demoted, huh? You doubt the power of the pack-in? Wii Sports says "hi."

But Wii sports cause the Wii's price to increase by $50 $100.

P.S that box looks massive.

itxaka

Defeatist
Core407 said:
I bought a 20GB for $499. I'd kill for two pack-in games & controllers.

That´s 366€, almost half of the price of the 60GB now without the emotion engine. I´d buy mine for 599€ 60GB with ultraviolet blue-ray. I´m glad i sell it before all the packs started :)

Price needs to be lower on europe, at least that pack for 450€ (612USD) would be an incredible offer and they will fly off the shelves.

mj1108

Others have said it and I'll say it as well...they need to lower the price and quit acting "value". Let people buy their own games, damnit.

Erebus

Sounds good but I'd rather see Motorstorm again in the bundle, F1 sucks. On the other hand, it's a good move to include Heavenly Sword, it works as a showcase title for the console.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
squatingyeti said:
Problem is, they can increase by 102% all day long, it doesn't bring them any closer to the 360 or Wii in the US.
Wouldnt increasing by 102% two more times mean they would outsell the Wii (and probably DS as well)? :p

Meier

Sony gave up the F1 license and the game's sold like shit.. gotta unload the copies somehow. By tossing in a current, new game, it looks like a decent value still even with 1 pack-in being completely useless.

Evlar

Banned
Strikes me as a decent package IF you're confident you will enjoy both games. Kicks the Motorstorm bundle to the curb.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Resistance & Heavenly Sword should have been the combo.

yup - but to add to that :
with the upcoming rumbleshock coming out, what would have been good is if they just gave you the one controller, and included a 30quid PSN Point card to get people to at least try PSN and get them hooked on downloading content.

... and have it a SuperStardust HD themed point card, just to hammer home the message! ;)

Actually - scratch that thought - a 20 quid Point Card and a BR movie.

People would then try BOTH non-traditional things you are trying to push as revenue generators.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
a 20 quid Point Card and a BR movie.
I actually agree with that, it could work as a better marketting point then extra controller.
Maybe they'll do it by the time Spiderman3 is out :p

Top Bottom