• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE announces NEW ps3 STARTER PACK

Lightning

Banned
spwolf said:
except that there has been an increase... 102% in July in USA, 60% in Europe...
C-mon sparky. I am referring to further increases since the original starter pack is already available. It won't further boost PS3 sales is my point which is what the PS3 really needs right about now.

Cut 100 pounds of the price and you have a winner.

Double H

Pimpwerx said:
Yeah...that really doesn't make sense.
Except they’re clearing out all the old SIXAXIS stock, readying for the new all-caps goodness that is the DUALSHOCK 3.

I suppose you could play your legacy PS games with a friend without rumble.

Yay.

Future

What the hell is the logic here. Public doesn't want to pay $600....so instead of lowering the price to something more mass market, lets just add more shit to the $600 price tag. Surely if they weren't buying it before they will now. Right? RIGHT???

Future said:
What the hell is the logic here. Public doesn't want to pay $600....so instead of lowering the price to something more mass market, lets just add more shit to the $600 price tag. Surely if they weren't buying it before they will now. Right? RIGHT???

The only thing I can see is the manufacturing costs must be hurting them pretty bad to actually avoid doing the one thing that would help it sell the most.

YourMom

Banned
here in denmark the starter packs cost around 880 $ which sold extremly good(the RFOm and MS one with 2 controllers). Actually it was so good that they are spamming a sony add about full HD(some dog in a car and stuff). And a add with Motorstorm ingame and RFOM ingame. Actually the ps3 was outselling the wii and the xbox.

quetz67

Banned
Future said:
The value of the added content (for both the old and new) starter pack is above 100 Euro even if using ebay prices, so it is a good deal.

If someone really doesnt want an extra controller and doesnt like any of these games (very strange) then he can buy one of the old non bundled PS3s (new and with full 2 year warranty) for less than $499 now:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Playstation-3-Ko...yZ117564QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With one game (489 Euros):

http://cgi.ebay.de/TOP-Sony-PlaySta...yZ117564QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Norse said:
A game like heavenly sword shouldnt be launched as a pack-in.
Why not? Both Sony and MS do this quite often in the UK, so it obviously makes sense to them.

If Heavenly Sword was going to be the game that sold me a PS3, a bundle like this would be ideal. If I already had a PS3, then I could still buy it separately. Who is losing out here?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Future said:
This costs them €25 the most, a pricedrop would cost them €100. If they sell the hardware at a loss otherwise, then this helps to make up the difference (by no less than €75).

This is an indication that they still might be losing money on the hardware. Or that they are just greedy as fuck.

InsertCredit said:
The first pack with motorstorm + resistance is better.

wtf sony :/

We never got this pack in Switzerland, it was F1 and Motorstorm. And now it's F1 and HS, WTF Sony, no one wants that F1 game!

GenericPseudonym said:
Heavenly Sword is demoted to pack-in that fast!?

They'll throw in Lair and call it the 4.9 Pack!

Ah well. When Sony's worthwhile franchises (Ratchet, SOCOM, Gran Turismo) start to show up on the PS3 things will be better for them. Right now it's got this awkward developers with shoddy track records pinning their hopes on miraculously hitting on out of the park and failing miserably.

I believe the starter packs vary from country to country. E.g. it seems the UK isn't getting the Heavenly Sword one, while here in Spain we already got 2 starter packs besides this one: F1+Motorstorm and Motorstorm+Resistance. Wouldn't it be easier and better if they just let you choose 2 Sony games out of the ones available for PS3?

i'm always amazed at people who don't understand the difference between value and affordability.

okay, everyone here saying this pack represents great 'value' you probably thought the ps3 already represented great value prior to the price drop. blu-ray + linux + wireless + 60GB hard drive and all that. and guess what, it did represent great value at that price.

that doesn't make it more affordable though, unless you were someone who was definately going to buy those games anyway.

maybe this will help you... a Porsche Cayman costs about $50,000. no matter how many extras you add to that, i cannot afford to spend $50,000 on anything right now.

value and affordability are two very seperate things, and the PS3 bundles only help affordability if you were definately going to get a second pad and/or one of the games it comes with... a price cut does much more to help affordability.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
plagiarize said:
i'm always amazed at people who don't understand the difference between value and affordability.

okay, everyone here saying this pack represents great 'value' you probably thought the ps3 already represented great value prior to the price drop. blu-ray + linux + wireless + 60GB hard drive and all that. and guess what, it did represent great value at that price.

that doesn't make it more affordable though, unless you were someone who was definately going to buy those games anyway.

maybe this will help you... a Porsche Cayman costs about $50,000. no matter how many extras you add to that, i cannot afford to spend $50,000 on anything right now.

value and affordability are two very seperate things, and the PS3 bundles only help affordability if you were definately going to get a second pad and/or one of the games it comes with... a price cut does much more to help affordability.

Logic - DO NOT WANT!

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the majority of gaf.

Kosma

Banned
I just found out that this starter pack is for France only, other PAL countries will remain to have the Resistance/Motorstorm pack.

Raist

Banned
plagiarize said:

Well... it is a bit more affordable, since before those bundles you had too pay 700+ euros if you wanted to play a single game and have another controller.
Now you just can start playing @ 600 euros.

Lord Phol

Robinspain said:
This week for SPAIN:

PS3 + 2 Sixaxis + Heavenly sword + Motorstorm = 599 euros

So much better than boring ol' F1 :x.
Still, Motorstorm isn't really on my list of PS3 games I got to have.
Ah well, at least HS is nice. Hope it comes packed with some groovy game someday here in Sweden.
Hopefully around christmas when I'm planning on buying one :x.

Ponn

Banned
Glad to see Sony not learning a damn thing from both the PSP and PS3 sales so far.

"What low sales, no, people love the price they just want a couple more things in the box, yeah thats it"

Rolf NB

Ponn01 said:
Glad to see Sony not learning a damn thing from both the PSP and PS3 sales so far.

"What low sales, no, people love the price they just want a couple more things in the box, yeah thats it"
Glad to see pretentious US-Americans still projecting bits of domestic shbubu onto the rest of the world. The world is still functioning normally.

Ponn

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Glad to see pretentious US-Americans still projecting bits of domestic shbubu onto the rest of the world. The world is still functioning normally.

Good for the world. PS3 is still doing pretty bad sales wise and not lowering the prices is a pretty big reason why.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sorry Sony, I am STILL not going to accept a £425 ($850)entry point for a PS3, at all, especially for a gimped 60GB model, reduce the fucking price (£325 with a game / couple of BR movies or something), and then we'll talk (I'm sure i'm not alone in thinking this).

Top Bottom