• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE/Polyphony studying IoM TT circuit for use in GT7

Jibbed

This will be the first and last time me knowing a guy who works for the Isle of Man transport department pays off, but anyway; I received a text this morning from a good friend on the island, and apparently there's currently a team over there conducting initial photography and laser-scanning certain areas of the 38 mile long track for 'use in the upcoming PS4 Gran Turismo game'.

Edit: It's worth noting Polyphony has previously worked with the circuit for their 'Tourist Trophy' spin-off game on the PS2... this could very well suggest either a follow-up to that, or bikes in GT7.

Isle_of_Man_TT_Course_(OpenStreetMap).svg

A few local IoM news and biker sites have already reported the story in the last 24 hours, so apologies if this has filtered through to GAF already.

psn

Sounds interesting. Upcoming Title?
GT6 Remaster pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

down 2 orth

Wow this sounds cool. I remember my friend telling me this is one of the most dangerous tracks in the world. Is it only used for motorcycling?

Harlequin

I'm not too clued up on the process but I gather laser scanning a circuit is probably the easiest and efficient manner to accurately recreate a track in a game, right?

I don't know too much about it either but I don't think so. You can't just scan an environment and put the scan into a game. You have to do loads of post-processing to turn such scans into usable ingame assets (maybe even completely rebuild the environment from scratch, only using the scans as a reference and for textures, I don't know).

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Isle of Man, some of the most terrifying shit on youtube. Fuck motorbikes be scary as shit.

As for the lols about time, they already have the track for Tourist Trophy could just be scanning for pin point accuracy.

RankoSD

People in this thread are pretending like they don't know that the new content can be added after the release of the game.
Release date joke is getting old now.

I don't know too much about it either but I don't think so. You can't just scan an environment and put the scan into a game. You have to do loads of post-processing to turn such scans into usable ingame assets (maybe even completely rebuild the environment from scratch, only using the scans as a reference and for textures, I don't know).

Yep.

The scan will be pretty rough, super dense and full of holes, because obviously the laser can't get into every nook and cranny. They will have to do this in sections and reconnect them.

Then they'll take this and use it as a reference for the artists to "clean up", ie remodel. Even though the scan won't directly end up in the game, every effort will be made to keep as much data as possible (scale, angels, surface undulations, etc)

Photo's will most likely be used for texture references.

Sayad

This seems like a horrible waste of resources, unless it's just portions of the track and not the whole thing.

Watevaman

This seems like a horrible waste of resources, unless it's just portions of the track and not the whole thing.

A track as iconic as Snaefell is not a waste of resources.

More tracks is exactly what a racing game needs. Cars only go so far if you only have a limited amount of tracks.

Yes please, scan all of it and plug it in my veins!!!1 Hope GT will finally deliver the ultimate driving simulator with tons of premium cars, real sound and gorgeous tracks.

No man is an island.

Except the Isle of Man.

Was going to share this yesterday but couldn't log on

Good to see another manxie!

People in this thread are pretending like they don't know that the new content can be added after the release of the game.
Release date joke is getting old now.

What's getting old is Polyphony's ridiculous development schedules. Then delivering a game with tons of halfway updated content, and technical problems. The jokes are warranted at this point.

Less than a year ago Kaz suggested it was possible we'd get a GT game on PS4 in 2014. Unsurprisingly that's not happening.

Less than a year ago Kaz suggested it was possible we'd get a GT game on PS4 in 2014. Unsurprisingly that's not happening.

He said that they didn't want people waiting long for GT7 so he thinks it'll be done in a year or two after GT6, with the best case scenario being a year. GT6's development was much faster even with the massive overhaul/construction of a cross-gen engine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
this could very well suggest either a follow-up to that, or bikes in GT7.

but what if it's part of Omega Boost 2? i mean... maybe in Level 3 in OM2 Viper Boost Jr will fight on earth and go near that circuit.

He said that they didn't want people waiting long for GT7 so he thinks it'll be done in a year or two after GT6, with the best case scenario being a year. GT6's development was much faster even with the massive overhaul/construction of a cross-gen engine.

Exactly. Weird how some people forget how fast GT6 came out after GT5. Besides, why would you want them to rush it?

Almost every game ever made had a much faster development time than GT5. Three years is not quick. That's still a long time.

Sony desperately needs to reign in Polyphony. It's long overdue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Almost every game ever made had a much faster development time than GT5. Three years is not quick. That's still a long time.

Sony desperately needs to reign in Polyphony. It's long overdue.

I think the turnaround for the PS4 games is going to be better than PS3. I get the feeling that they are much better to launch sooner into a new HW cycle vs PS3.

Top Bottom