• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School I work at is forcing k-8 back to in person

TrainedRage

Banned
I literally don’t get it. For the past year the data has been, based on the number of cases per 10k in our county. And this meant no in person school.

We get an email from our superintendent saying after break we are moving to an in person model.

Uh what? The cases in our county are currently higher than they have ever been. Many people are going out of town and meeting family, increasing the risk of a huge spike right when we go back to school.

We don’t get hazard pay or a vaccine and we are literally around thousands of potential carriers every day.

The rationale they are pushing now is that children don’t contract or suffer severe symptoms. You know the stuff we have known about this ENTIRE pandemic. Suddenly now we make new rules about this?

WTF is going on? Why is there some huge push to make people go in person for the last 3 months of school? Like why? What changed?

My union is literally useless (as they typically are aside from taking my money) and I have zero support from administrators. Teachers I work with are literally crying on zoom calls about how they think it’s super dangerous.

WTF is going on? I’m actual confused and can’t believe these liberal “believe in science and listen to the data” people are pushing this.

It takes ONE teacher getting sick to decimate an entire school. And trust me when I say there are no substitute teachers willing to risk death for less money than a garbage man makes.

But clearly I’m just the crazy one who is over worried 💁‍♂️

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What State do you live in?

I didn't think it was up to actual school districts to decide this stuff in most places.

Last edited:
Aww, someone doesn't get to work from home anymore. :(

Asian Reaction GIF

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE EDUCATION MAJORS WHO HAVEN'T WORN A BELT IN 9 MONTHS??

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Awwww. Poor baby.

And you actually think most teachers don’t want to go back to in-person instruction right away? Vaccine or not?

My wife is a teacher and our county has been virtual the whole year and the teachers fucking hate it. The whole year has been a mammoth sized waste of time. No one is truly learning. They cannot WAIT to get back to in-person.

Maybe your district has come to its senses and realized how stupid this whole overreaction has been.

And subs won’t want to work? WTF? I was a sub for 3 years. I’d be thrilled with all extra days I’d be getting. Not everybody is a do-nothing union scrub like you.

You get no sympathy points from me. Millions have had to go work every day facing these problems. So shut the fuck up and do your job.

You are right about one thing though: unions are useless.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Are you nursing home ancient? Are you obese? Do you have some kind of persistent health weakness? Or a combination of all three?

Then you shouldn’t be there.

Otherwise, you will be fine. 99+% survival rate. I’ve seen 80 year olds pull through this thing and say it wasn’t a big deal.

Obviously, it’s a shitty thing to get. But life has to go on. Take precautions, be smart. No touching your face, social distance your students if you can, make them sanitize their hands when they come in. Or you can quit, I suppose. That’s an option open to you, if you just don’t feel comfortable with this.

TrainedRage

Banned
I live with people who are in the higher risk group. So that kinda worries me.
The problem is working with kids and thinking they are capable of washing hands when most of the time they cant even piss into the toilet.
I get that most of you dont work in a school setting, but I think its pretty odd that the Admin/highschool/tec/clerical/etc is staying at home while K-8 teachers have to come in suddenly for the last 3 months.
Again, is this purely due to having a vaccine available? Cuz no one at my school is getting that shit for months and months.

I myself am not too worried about death from COVID. But I would be lying if I said it wasnt easier to work from home and not have to drive in winter weather and sit in a shitty school for 8 hours doing nothing, because over half the kids didnt show. but oh well.

TrainedRage

Banned
Awwww. Poor baby.

And you actually think most teachers don’t want to go back to in-person instruction right away? Vaccine or not?

My wife is a teacher and our county has been virtual the whole year and the teachers fucking hate it. The whole year has been a mammoth sized waste of time. No one is truly learning. They cannot WAIT to get back to in-person.

Maybe your district has come to its senses and realized how stupid this whole overreaction has been.

And subs won’t want to work? WTF? I was a sub for 3 years. I’d be thrilled with all extra days I’d be getting. Not everybody is a do-nothing union scrub like you.

You get no sympathy points from me. Millions have had to go work every day facing these problems. So shut the fuck up and do your job.

This is the dumbest shit I have read in a while, thanks.

-Many teachers DO have concerns about going back to school, especially if you have any idea of how poorly most public schools are run. Its all about $ for them.
-Our district is literally just lock step with MDE and the Governor. What ever they say we do, no question. again because $$$ funding is key.
-Overreaction to what? Most places have been shut down. Like I cant go see a movie but yep lets shove 40 kids into a class with poor ventilation an little to no cleaning (maybe once a week).
-Come work in my district. Please come, try it out. Our sub and teacher retention is like 15%. But clearly you know more about the school I work in than I do!
-I have been working and doing my job for the entire year. Lay off the insults pal. Jesus.
-Yes my union is useless. Wow look at you go!

Awwww. Poor baby.

This is way too aggressive of a post.

Reported for excessive Hulk Smashing.

TrainedRage

Banned
I think you should present that to the school then, see if there’s some kind of workaround for you. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be willing to work with you.
I have set up two meetings with my super and the VP both have cancelled the meetings because they were; no joke, sick. Yet they aren't even the ones who have to come in. They dont give a fuck about the peons honestly, school administration and hierarchy is fucking hell.

Awwww. Poor baby.

neildegrasse.jpg

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I think he is upset his wifes boyfriend didnt buy him that PS5. Would love to know what Hulk does for a living. Must be making the big bucks if wife is a teacher.
Oh man, you guys are just hardcore! Going to the most overused meme on the net and then calling me a cuck. Amazing work. Couldn't think of anything more original if I tried. And, no, I haven't tried.

TrainedRage

Banned
Oh man, you guys are just hardcore! Going to the most overused meme on the net and then calling me a cuck. Amazing work. Couldn't think of anything more original if I tried. And, no, I haven't tried.
Awwwwww poor baby

STFU and do YOUR JOB!!!!!111 REeee

Last edited:
You need to understand that the kids have to be somewhere so mom and dad can work. Essentially you are like the person at the store so people can buy food. If you get sick or not is nobody's concern. You can let people call you a frontline hero if it makes you feel better. The main purpose of school is building common sense in kids while babysitting.

If it makes you feel better in Japan people have been doing face to face teaching for 6 months now. However some Universities are still posting stuff online for students to do while the professor "researches".

HoodWinked

remember when teacher would always get lumped into those that served in military, first responders, nurses as heroes this whole ordeal as proved they really are not worthy of anywhere near that level praise or status.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Otherwise, you will be fine. 99+% survival rate. I’ve seen 80 year olds pull through this thing and say it wasn’t a big deal.

This is a number I'm not willing to trust in isolation. In particular, if the number of seriously sick grow to beyond capacity that medical facilities can no longer accommodate, then we have a real problem. (I mean, that's a big reason we have these stay-at-home orders at all, no?)

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is a number I'm not willing to trust in isolation. In particular, if the number of seriously sick grow to beyond capacity that medical facilities can no longer accommodate, then we have a real problem. (I mean, that's a big reason we have these stay-at-home orders at all, no?)

We faced that problem once before, and built extra temporary hospital facilities that in a lot of cases, we never even used. I presume they still stand, just in case?

There’s been a lot of talk this year about hospitals overfilling and the absolute worst scenario of people who need it, not getting treated, but we’re now mostly through said year, with multiple spikes and ebbs, and we haven’t really seen this disaster case, while knowing so much more than we did when we started.

Schools where I live have been open since August. Cases have been very high here for 7-8 weeks. Schools are largely unaffected. There has been basically zero (as far as I am aware) documented cases of teachers catching the virus at school and dying in the US. All this to say, you’ll be fine. You should’ve been back at work months ago. Obviously this is not your fault but stop worrying.

Quasicat

We are literally the only school in the county to not go remote at some point this year until the entire 7th and 8th grade went into quarantine; even then, it was only three days before Christmas break. Those three days were such a pain, it makes me thankful that we have been in person most of the year. Our county is on the watch list for going purple (in Ohio), but my district has held firm that we will not go remote as long as possible.
The big issue I’m seeing is that a student in the high school came in with a sore throat and infected about a dozen people. Two of those people were teachers with pre-existing conditions which put them in ICU with a ventilator. One of them in particular is showing signs of severe brain damage and will probably not come back. That could have been any one of us.

oagboghi2

I literally don’t get it. For the past year the data has been, based on the number of cases per 10k in our county. And this meant no in person school.

We get an email from our superintendent saying after break we are moving to an in person model.

Uh what? The cases in our county are currently higher than they have ever been. Many people are going out of town and meeting family, increasing the risk of a huge spike right when we go back to school.

We don’t get hazard pay or a vaccine and we are literally around thousands of potential carriers every day.

The rationale they are pushing now is that children don’t contract or suffer severe symptoms. You know the stuff we have known about this ENTIRE pandemic. Suddenly now we make new rules about this?

WTF is going on? Why is there some huge push to make people go in person for the last 3 months of school? Like why? What changed?

My union is literally useless (as they typically are aside from taking my money) and I have zero support from administrators. Teachers I work with are literally crying on zoom calls about how they think it’s super dangerous.

WTF is going on? I’m actual confused and can’t believe these liberal “believe in science and listen to the data” people are pushing this.

It takes ONE teacher getting sick to decimate an entire school. And trust me when I say there are no substitute teachers willing to risk death for less money than a garbage man makes.

But clearly I’m just the crazy one who is over worried 💁‍♂️
Trump lost, so now various unions, politicians and other groups who used the lockdown to take an opposing position to anything he suggested will slowly relent. Their isn't a point anymore

JayK47

Our school is doing the same thing. I am not sure who makes these decisions. We are going from 100% online to 100% in person. We opted to do hybrid at the beginning of the school year, which is about 50/50 online/in-person. If anybody ever cared about anything, they would have stuck with hybrid. They supposedly went to 100% online because a few schools were running low on personnel due to COVID. But no word on whether that has changed. I think it is all theater and total BS. They offer no reason for why it is ok to suddenly go back to school full time.

spawn

You will be okay. I've been working through this entire pandemic. I've been around people with Covid. I may have gotten it in March, but don't know for sure because I couldn't get tested due to low amount of testing in my state. Just wear a mask and wear it correctly. Hopefully the school has students wearing masks as well. Everyone I know who has gotten it survived. Some said it felt like they had a really bad flu and others said they just had a bad headache that week.

Maybe read the article first
Marilyn and Julie contracted COVID-19 during Thanksgiving break, Carr says, and did not return to campus.

So this is another article about two people, a mother and daughter, who got covid outside of school and died. While no one disputes the sadness of that situation, I fail to see what this has to do with schools being open. They didn’t get sick at school. They got sick over Thanksgiving, likely at a family get-together.

Top Bottom