• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi) OT - A Perfectly Normal and Moe Slice Off Life Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

That said, I now fully understand why they introduced
Taromaru
into the anime right out of the gate in Episode 1.
Can you explain that? Curious lol.
Not without some manga spoilers but I'll keep things as vague as possible here... (and I would still not highlight this - as vague as I'm being - if you haven't read the manga)...
they want us to get super attached to the little bugger before "stuff and things" happen. Like what goes down in Chapter 17.

JulianImp

EP 05
A slow-ish episode, but it was interesting to see how Yuki reacted when she was confronted with the truth. I really pity her, but feel like
her delusions might ultimately prove to be the School Life Club's downfall, and it doesn't help that the other girls keep reinforcing the fantasy that everything's all right.

It was also surprising to see that Yuki was the one responsible for having Miki join the club, but it makes perfect sense when you take into account that
she basically put her life on the line to try and stop somebody from getting turned into a zombie after being reminded of whatever happened to Megu-nee.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Miki will manage to get along with the club members next episode.

Stuart444

Gakkou Gurashi 5

So we saw a glimpse of what happened to
Megu-nee
. Apparently she was
bitten on the arms

This show continue to deliver.

Just rewatched the part I suspected you were talking about.
It went by so quickly I didn't notice it was Megu-nee. I thought it was her mind tearing the delusions away and showing the Zombies that were after Miki. Turns out yeah, Yuki was about to watch History repeat itself until they saved Miki that is. It was so quick so thanks for pointing that out and making me go back to look at it lol.

Not without some manga spoilers but I'll keep things as vague as possible here... (and I would still not highlight this - as vague as I'm being - if you haven't read the manga)...
they want us to get super attached to the little bugger before "stuff and things" happen. Like what goes down in Chapter 17.

I suspected something would happen to him ;_;. Though I'm almost worried that one of the 4 main girls will end up... ;_;

Ep 5

I like the change to the OP to reflect Kei's status. Wonder how they're going to change it when that one elephant in the room twist gets revealed.

UberTag

Ep 5

I like the change to the OP to reflect Kei's status. Wonder how they're going to change it when that one elephant in the room twist gets revealed.
They've been doing a good job of incrementally altering the OP on a weekly basis. I suspect that will only continue.

JulianImp

I checked the site out yesterday and realized that the graphics change didn't happen to me at 12 AM JST, but rather at 12 AM in my own timezone.

Also, I'm wondering what could possibly be in the site's
basement

Watched the first episode. I absolutely hate moe shows... but for some reason I need to know what happens?

Continue watching. The following episodes are more than your ordinary moe anime.

I checked the site out yesterday and realized that the graphics change didn't happen to me at 12 AM JST, but rather at 12 AM in my own timezone.

Also, I'm wondering what could possibly be in the site's
basement

My bad for writing down the wrong time!

Personally I'm guessing the Basement would link to a
jump scare or similar after a possible future event where the gang will head there for some reason.
Like I fully expect the team to make the link secretly accessible at midnight after the episode has aired just to mess with us.

JulianImp

Personally I'm guessing the Basement would link to
a jump scare or similar after a possible future event where the gang will head there for some reason
. Like I fully expect the team to make the link secretly accessible at midnight after the episode has aired just to mess with us.

I'd recommend spoiler tagging this just for the few GAFfers who still haven't watched the show. I was expecting B1F to become available at midnight or something, but it looks like that wasn't it. It would've been cool if it was accessible but changed over time like the opening.

... Which reminds me that I should watch the latest opening again to search for differences. While I really like evolving OP/EDs, I wonder how rough it can get on a studio's budget even if it's just a couple subtle changes for each new episode.

Great episode about Miki, I hope
Kei is still alive somehow
. I'm apparently blind because I didn't see the
Megu flashback
on my first view without this thread pointing it out, it went by way to fast and was blurry too.

JulianImp

Episode 06
I was expecting something a little differet than being hammered with the whole
Megu-nee's dead
thing for the whole episode (even including the credits!). The way Miki quickly comes to appreciate the School Living Club was also weird, since I would've expected her to take longer than that to get used to the club's rules and her new group of friends.

Looks like miss not-so yamato nadeshiko needs some anger management counseling, though. That's something I really didn't expect from her character, so it's good to see that her scary mode isn't something they only came up with for comedy's sake.

Also, what's with the show constantly showing flashbacks showing Miki in her underwear, and now even adding a shower scene? I never asked for this.

jediyoshi

Damn I love mii-kun's constant deadpan/distraught face. This story would be pretty rough without an anchor character.

Stuart444

Episode 6 was good...

I thought Rii-san was going to punch Mii-kun when Mii-kun objected to keeping up Yuki's delusions. I also wonder if we'll find out exactly what Megu-nee did to get bitten and how she got the girls out safely. Maybe she was bitten in a 'safe' zone and she walked out voluntarily to protect the girls? Wonder if we'll see her Zombie'd?

The ending felt mean with making her disappear.

As for Rii-san seeming to get angry easily (including the bit I Mentioned above), I doubt we'll be told outright but maybe she wasn't angry before the outbreak but since the outbreak happened, she tries to act happy but deep inside she has far more anger than you might expect? I don't know, just speculating.

Wonder what will happen next week hmm...

edit: also was it hinted at there (at the end) that:
Miki had feelings for Kei? Not sure if she had any before the outbreak but being locked up together for so long could have caused some feelings in Miki. Just a guess...

Episode 6 was good...

I thought Rii-san was going to punch Mii-kun when Mii-kun objected to keeping up Yuki's delusions. I also wonder if we'll find out exactly what Megu-nee did to get bitten and how she got the girls out safely. Maybe she was bitten in a 'safe' zone and she walked out voluntarily to protect the girls? Wonder if we'll see her Zombie'd?

The ending felt mean with making her disappear.

As for Rii-san seeming to get angry easily (including the bit I Mentioned above), I doubt we'll be told outright but maybe she wasn't angry before the outbreak but since the outbreak happened, she tries to act happy but deep inside she has far more anger than you might expect? I don't know, just speculating.

Wonder what will happen next week hmm...

edit: also was it hinted at there (at the end) that:
Miki had feelings for Kei? Not sure if she had any before the outbreak but being locked up together for so long could have caused some feelings in Miki. Just a guess...

To me it just looks like they all had different ways of coping with it.
Shovel knight imagines them as shadowy smoke, vaguely human figures so that she can kill them when she has to. Which is why she starts to break down when she sees something that reminds her that they use to be human.

So yeah, she's likely got the "scary mode" anger as a result of her repressing the stress of the situation as she tries to put on a happy face, causing her to have a much shorter fuse mixed with a need to protect the group and keep them in check. Lots of pressure on that one. If anyone shatters the delusion I could see it being her once she unleashes the beast. Either through a rant or through killing a not so good human they find. The fact that they're a small group of teenaged girls in this world means any encounter with an adult male dickbag would just be terrible.

UberTag

Episode 6 observations... holy hell did this cover a lot of manga territory. Essentially Chapter 13 all the way through the first part of Chapter 17... even adding some snippets from Chapter 22 and beating us over the head repeatedly with
Kei references that weren't in the manga in the first place

Not sure what this means for the remaining 6 or 7 episodes but there's still a lot of territory to cover until the natural jumping off point that is Chapter 30 - unless we start venturing into original anime ending territory which remains a possibility.

Looks like miss not-so yamato nadeshiko needs some anger management counseling, though. That's something I really didn't expect from her character, so it's good to see that her scary mode isn't something they only came up with for comedy's sake.
Rii has stability issues. Just because her and Kurumi aren't happily deluding themselves into thinking
there are no zombies and that Megu-nee is real
doesn't mean they're not struggling in their own ways. If anything, she's more dependent on Yuki than the other way around.

One opinion from the Summer Anime OT that I'll echo is that the decision to reverse engineer the opening of the series to include Miki and then retell the later chapters of the manga in a flashback format has robbed the anime of the element of tension. The manga is a straight Point A-to-Point B narrative and brought with it a great deal of persistent anxiety as a result. Now I believe that the flashbacks are done with Miki joining the School Life club officially so that shouldn't remain an issue going forward. But it's a valid criticism.

Stuart444

Rii has stability issues. Just because her and Kurumi aren't happily deluding themselves into thinking there are no zombies and that Megu-nee is real doesn't mean they're not struggling in their own ways. If anything, she's more dependent on Yuki than the other way around.

One opinion from the Summer Anime OT that I'll echo is that the decision to reverse engineer the opening of the series to include Miki and then retell the later chapters of the manga in a flashback format has robbed the anime of the element of tension. The manga is a straight Point A-to-Point B narrative and brought with it a great deal of persistent anxiety as a result. Now I believe that the flashbacks are done with Miki joining the School Life club officially so that shouldn't remain an issue going forward. But it's a valid criticism.

Probably best to spoiler tag that bit :p.

Also tension or not, I have been glued to this series and have really enjoyed it all.

I do really wonder where things will go from here. Really looking forward to what comes next.

I also don't plan on checking the manga out at all unless it turns out we're not getting a S2.

We all knew, so yeah, no shock at all for me. Rii-san... I got a bad feeling about that one. Only reliable girl is the Kurumi to be honest, next Miki because she's smart.

Ep 6

Not so sure I'm a fan of the
sense of finality regarding Megu-nee's story (furthered by the sad ED), what with there still being stuff to tell. Could mean they'll just be leaving things at that, which I don't really like.

I also don't plan on checking the manga out at all unless it turns out we're not getting a S2.

When season 1 is over, I think you should anyway. There have been some significant changes.

data

yoooooo.... watched this yesterday because of the thread and watched it just because I wanted a relax type of anime and damn. what the fuck. I don't even know how to describe my feelings, lmao.10/10 to the studio

FluxWaveZ

Damn, the brutal truth is finally revealed. We've known all along, but it's finally out in the open now...

We did? I can be good at at least suspecting certain twists that happen in stories, but I had no idea that
Megu-nee was dead.
I can't really think back to a moment that foreshadowed it, either. Still an interesting twist, though.

Still don't know what I think of this show, but the last few episodes haven't been terrible. I'm interested in seeing what happens now that the elongated flashback sequence is over.

TUSR

Banned
Eh, does that really count? That to me is just a symbol of
death and grieving; that anyone died and was buried there. Where's the connection with the teacher?

Oh wait, literally the crucifix design? Hm, maybe.

the white ribbon wasnt it

Oh wow, I totally overlooked that! Alright, that's cool, then. Though, that's probably not the kind of overt foreshadowing that'd make it obvious, I would think.

There's other stuff.
At no point does anyone ever directly address her without Yuki being there. Though I'd say the most damning is that she wasn't the one to drive her own car when there was literally no reason why she wouldn't.

Stuart444

Just do it.

I read up to the latest chap in one sitting. So few chaps so far :/

There is 37 chapters from what I have gleamed so far, that's so few? o.o

I also see the first volume of the Manga is out officially later this year, I may just buy it then. (Yen press FTW. Localizing my favourite LNs and mangas <3)

Just do it.

I read up to the latest chap in one sitting. So few chaps so far :/

Same, got tired of waiting last week and just marathoned through the entire Manga in one sitting. Pretty great story so far and can't wait until more chapters come out. If they at least follow along the same path as the Manga, we are in for a treat.

FluxWaveZ

There's other stuff.
At no point does anyone ever directly address her without Yuki being there. Though I'd say the most damning is that she wasn't the one to drive her own car when there was literally no reason why she wouldn't.

When the reveal happened, the latter is the thing that immediately came to mind. It was easy to chalk it up to "anime nonsense" when it happened, though, so I was surprised that the reveal subverted that.

I suppose the same goes for the former. There were some other scenes in previous episodes where I found myself thinking
"where the hell's the teacher, did you all forget about her?"
, so there's that too. I just disregarded a lot of that as "enticing character trait," but it's cool that there was actually more to it.

JulianImp

Episode 7

Looks like the show is loading up its armory of Chekov's guns... first Megu-nee's key, then the helium balloons with letters attached to them (which might actually get noticed by someone once they eventually fall back down).

The evolving OP and ever-changing ED are also interesting, since that kind of stuff can eat into a show's budget (both time and money-wise).

However, that ending... "let's graduate together"...
from life? Yuki's bloostained cap being left behind makes things even more ominous than the first ending, which had Yuki smile to the girls, only to show a different angle that revealed that none of them were actually in front of her.

And then there were none, I guess.

Edit: Times that we've been shown Miki's lingerie scene so far: 4 (EPs 4, 5, 6, 7)... so lewd.

UberTag

Today's episode felt kind of odd in a sense. It'll come off as fillerish despite actually being plot significant and hinted at already in the opening theme. After last week's episode covered a huge chunk of territory spanning manga chapters 13 through 17, this week's episode doubled back and covered chapter 6 including Miki and Taromaru into the letter writing campaign.

With next week's title referencing chapter 23, it's clear that they're deliberately going out of their way to rearrange manga events to keep those of us familiar with the source material off-kilter. And yet I don't necessarily believe they're going to outright omit anything either given what's been foreshadowed and hinted at in past episodes. Understanding the rationale behind how all of these pieces are being shuffled around is a bit like figuring out a jigsaw puzzle.

The calm before the storm I hope. They can't keep up the Megu-nee facade much longer, also the tension between Rii-san and Miki has defused a little, still someone is gonna snap at any moment I believe.

Gakkou Gurashi ep 7

The New OP was really hit me.
Erasing Megu-nee made me feel really bad even though we all knew it was coming

The scene where
Yuki starts realising Megu-nee is dead was rather unnerving as you see her break down and eventually lie to herself to keep her from completely losing it.

The flashbacks do have to stop though, there's 5 episodes left and I wanna see something new happen to the cast.

Stuart444

So a good though mostly uneventful episode. The op made me a bit ;_;
and now I wonder how long until something happens to Tarou and the op is complete ;_;

I hope they don't go for an anime only ending where
everyone dies or something. A happy end I'd accept but I like happy endings. >.> even if it's a bitter sweet "We survived but so many died" ending.
of course this assumes they don't plan on doing a second season of course.

Also
That key is going to be important isn't it?

So a good though mostly uneventful episode. The op made me a bit ;_;
and now I wonder how long until something happens to Tarou and the op is complete ;_;

I hope they don't go for an anime only ending where
everyone dies or something. A happy end I'd accept but I like happy endings. >.> even if it's a bitter sweet "We survived but so many died" ending.
of course this assumes they don't plan on doing a second season of course.

Also
That key is going to be important isn't it?

They are probably going to use it to fulfill the manga plotline
With the Diary and the classified document

FluxWaveZ

After watching episode 7... yeah, I'm gonna have to drop this. Though it could have been, the show's really not my thing, unfortunately.

Moaradin

I'm liking this so far. It's a lot more character focused than I thought it would be. I was worried the show would run out of steam once the big reveal happened, but I'm still interested.

JulianImp

Episode 8
Please, why does there have to be fanservice in this show, of all places? Kurumi and Yuki just had to wash Taroumaru in their underwear, and then the camera just had to focus on Miki's ass as she looked under a desk (while not wearing pants, of course), right?

I really liked the scene that showed us a glimpse of
the zombified Megu-nee, and a better focus on the last page she managed to write before turning into a zombie
... "I'm hungry", alright.

While it was lampshaded a bit before, I'm still wondering what's the deal with the school. Could it be that
the people in charge of it were the ones behind the outburst in the first place
? I guess they might be heading into the basement that's shown on the web site but still remains inaccessible. Hopefully there won't be any titan powers or plans to overthrow corrput governments in here...

Fanservice aside, what the heck is going on?! It is really too convenient that they have everything in the school to survive comfortably. I want another twist like the first episode but why are they keeping Megu-nee walking around! That's just gonna mess with everyone later on, bad idea. Mandatory beach episode next week ¬¬.

Gakkou Gurashi 8

For an otherwise serious show with many tone-shifts, there is surprisingly quite a bit of fanservice in this episode. Other than that, the tone-shifts work kind of well IMO for this episode, balancing light-heartedness and serious moments. Loved that random
idol Yuki moment.

I smell a conspiracy! Biological weapons and zombies and Parasol and it's RE all over again!

I haven't noticed this earlier, but the ED where Rii-san left a knife behind, along with Yuki's bloody hat and Kurumi's bloody shovel is rather foreboding.

Stuart444

Ok so what we've learned from episode 8:

It was a Biological weapon, not a natural virus that mutated but a Biological weapon that someone must have used (or accidentally broke it's containment thing or something).

The school was built on purpose for it and at least many teachers like Megu-nee weren't told about it. The principal most likely new based on the flashback earlier on in the series. (I am also very happy that both Mii-kun and Rii-san questioned why the school was so well equipped.)

Now the real question is. Who did it? Is it limited to Japan? How many survivors are there? Why the hell did the principal not open it/explain it to the staff as soon as the news started reporting it.

So many questions that won't get answered.

Also I have a feeling the Taro stuff was because something is going to happen to him soon ;_;. Megu-nee gets to him?

Also Rii-san almost broke when she saw that picture they took and Mii-kun had to cover for Yuki this time. ;_;

Cornbread78

Ok, what's up with all the fanservice in thus episode? With what the girls found with Megenu's key, it explains everything about the school and why it is so equipped. There is a pandemic going on, but not the same thing the school was made to handle. Looks like more fanservice next week... Not sure why they are taking the show in that direction, but it sells to the otaku, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom