• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi) OT - A Perfectly Normal and Moe Slice Off Life Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gpkcl0Z.jpg

Hey all you connoisseurs of cute out there! Do you like anime that is totally moe and totally school-related? Then have I got a series for you! It's called School Live, and you're sure to find it a heartwarming tale of cute girls doing cute things while they live at a school just for fun! Just check out this synopsis!

Four girls decide to stay over at school: the energetic Yuki Takeya, the shovel-loving Kurumi, the center of the group Yūri who brings everyone together, and the spacey school adviser Megu

Now doesn't that sound normal and fun and relaxing and fun!? It better, because everyone's in for a good time when you live at the school and do fun activities like gardening and going to class!

The characters certainly look like they're having the times of their youth!

Characters

Yuki Takeya
brOFYlH.jpg

Takeya Yuki is a high school girl in the club "School Live Club". She is cheerful and very childish.

Kurumi Ebisuzawa
9ncb7KZ.jpg

A twin-tailed member of the School Live Club.

Yuuri "Rii-san" Wakasa
FeSprgn.jpg

The president of the School Live Club.

Miki "Mii-kun" Naoki
A blonde-haired girl who the School Live Club recruited. She is especially close to Yuki.

Megumi "Megu-nee" Sakura
A teacher and the adviser of the School-Live club who is commonly ignored yet loved by all the girls.

Need more convincing? Just look at these fun and relaxing impressions from gaffers.

I just watched School-Live!

What the fuck?

That sums it up:

tumblr_m2qvmpLkVN1r9ns55o1_500.gif

School Live - 1

9aRakiR.gif

School Live 01

What+did+i+just+watch+_16666617b6c6676de9829c125141417a.jpeg

SCHOOL-LIVE 1

More cute girls doing cute--

Wait, what?

Yooooo

Yoooooooooooooooooooooo

Wow, I think these guys had an overload of cute and fun! Shows like this will do that to you. I'm sure that's what it did to the lovely people that worked on it!

Staff

Studio: Lerche

Director: Masaomi Ando
Series Composition: Norimitsu Kaihō
Original creator:
Norimitsu Kaihō (story)
Sadoru Chiba (art)
Character Design: Haruko Iizuka
Art Director: Atsushi Yokoyama (Kusanagi)

You can watch it here on Crunchyroll.

And make sure to watch to the end of the first episode, or you won't have as much relaxing moe fun!

Ventara

So wait, is this anime more than just generic moe anime #567468747? Sound like there's a pretty crazy twist going from the reactions.

rrvv

Tbh you probably going to attract typical now fans instead attracting new fans with that art

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Twist premise doesn't change the fact those are straight-up pandering moe designs though.

JulianImp

Loving it so far. The fact that it airs on Thursday mornings in my timezone means it's one of the few simulcasts I can watch before going to work.

To anyone who hasn't watched it and wants to give it a try, please stay away from the Crunchyroll comments and synopsis, since it appears to be a manga adaptation and youre very likely to come across very anticlimatic spoilers.

Speaking in programming terms, this show has signed cuteness overflow.

Crocodile

Twist premise doesn't change the fact those are straight-up pandering moe designs though.

I'd be lying if I said the character designs were appealing to me but "herp derp pandering" has become such an empty statement to me. Basically everything is pandering in some respect, included THAT THING(S) YOU LOVE. Just say its "moe" and leave it at that :p

Superflat

I jumped into this completely blind on my own while browsing through Crunchyroll and it's actually pretty fun despite its typical moe anime trappings (which I enjoy as long as it's done well).
But really, even hinting at the fact that the show isn't what it seems at first would significantly lessen the impact of the surprise.

Kettch

I had a hard time getting people to read the manga last year, glad it's getting some attention now. It's quite a well written series.

JulianImp

Taroumaru has been really cute so far as well, and is omitted from the OP for some reason.

I mean, the dog knows how to open sliding doors with its paws for crying out loud. It can't get much more awesome than that.

Honestly
I love that because I've always been a fan of art style dissonance. Messing with expectations like that can definitely be effective, and even when you know what you're getting into, it can still be amusing in a jarring and subversive sort of way.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Honestly
I love that because I've always been a fan of art style dissonance. Messing with expectations like that can definitely be effective, and even when you know what you're getting into, it can still be amusing in a jarring and subversive sort of way.

I'll admit, I'm trying to save face because I honestly thought this thread was a joke thread because of how obviously moe the style was. :(

I always check on anichart.net before I believe anything GAF says

Even knowing, I kind of want to watch this now. I wonder if it's as good as
Highschool of the Dead.

rpmurphy

Had this in my queue and got around to watching the first episode because of this thread.

I didn't expect this. pls no

JulianImp

I always check on anichart.net before I believe anything GAF says

Even knowing, I kind of want to watch this now. I wonder if it's as good as
Highschool of the Dead.

Haven't watched the spoilered series, but School-Live's been amazing for me so far. Definitely a contender for AOTS in my book.

OP and the GAF reactions made me give this a try... And I hated it, I hate moe, I hate their stupid annoying voices, and I'm giving this a 2/10 on MAL and... wow.
Wow! WOW! What is happening?! OMG yes another zombie anime. Highschool of the Dead is one of my favorite animes ever and it saddens me that season 2 is not out yet but this will temporarily fill my thirst. Will watch the rest of the episodes later but holy crap that ending, I was expecting something like Madoka but this is a way better surprise! Thanks OP!

chiimisu

Is it actually good, or all it has is
shock factor
? Is it worth watching if I already know about
OMG IT'S ACTUALLY A ZOMBIE ANIME twist
? It'd be interesting to hear from the manga readers

Crocodile

Episode 1

First 20 minutes:

xLFJwzF.gif

Last 2 minutes:

Bo2BG.gif

Episodes 2 & 3

f0Hlx.gif

So yeah there is no way I would have not dropped the show halfway through episode 1 if I didn't know there was a TWIST but I'm glad I stuck through. Episodes 2 and 3 were legit great O_O. I'm impressed. Yuki is
going to get them all killed at some point isn't she
?
Teacher's also 100% already dead I'm assuming
:(

P.S. The above questions are rhetorical

shock factor

The manga is legit excellent. Great series and the characters develop really nicely.

Lots of suffering and despair though.

JulianImp

shock factor

I wish we could keep manga readers away from this topic. I've already seen things go bad several times in both the Attack on Titan and JoJo threads because of that.

Having watched the three episodes that have been aired so far, I'd say
the zombie apocalypse doesn't matter as much as seeing just how broken Yuki is because of it as a coping mechanism. That and the way the other characters handle her issues and their own are enough to make this show really interesting in my opinion.

It'd be interesting to hear from the manga readers

The manga is pretty good I'd say. (No direct plot point spoilers)
It's a more melancholic zombie story rather than an over the top one. It's like a more psychological Walking Dead rather than something like High School of the Dead. And of course, shit goes from bad to worse frequently with a big helping of despair to go around.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
^^^That was pretty much me, yeah (not quoting all those gifs, heh).

Really enjoying this show, glad I saw this thread or I'd likely have never even heard of it (I burned out on anime a year or so back and haven't watched too much since then).

Random thoughts after three episodes:

I don't know if I like Yuki's friends all supporting her delusions. I understand it's her way of coping with such a dire situation, but I don't think that encouraging it is the right move. She's putting herself in danger, not to mention the rest of the group.

That said, I feel like something is definitely going to happen that's going to snap her back to reality. Probably Megumi dying, sadly (seriously, how hard is the show telegraphing her inevitable death?).

There do seem to be some odd...not really plotholes, so to speak, but just weird things with the whole premise. Like, the rest of the crew obviously created the School Life club to give Yuki a reason as to why she has to live at school now. But I find it a bit hard to believe that Yuki hasn't wondered why she hasn't been home even once since the whole ordeal started. Or heard from her parents. Or been off school grounds at all. Some of the premise is just a bit shaky, is all. However I understand it's all in service of the greater narrative, so I suppose I'm fine with it.

chiimisu

effingvic, JulianImp, cosmicblizzard, thanks a lot! I'll probably watch it later today, then.

I love despair~~
uJ3NZrY.gif

UberTag

I wish we could keep manga readers away from this topic. I've already seen things go bad several times in both the Attack on Titan and JoJo threads because of that.
The concern is justifiable... although I think the very nature of the curve ball thrown at people in the first episode has people attuned to being spoiler sensitive and respectfully tactful whereas some other series without similar twists might be more spoiler-riddled (granted, AoT had a doozy of its own in Episode 5).

Kvik

What grabbed my attention in episode 1 was how the clues were interspersed with the cuteness:

- Broken windows in class.
- Desks stacked up to the ceiling.
- A Tombstone in the horticulture club.
- When Yuki returns to the classroom to grab her bag, her friends sits exactly where they were in the morning.

Will definitely keep watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom