• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School reports parent who took son off Ritalin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
Taylor told KOAT-TV he is not putting Daniel back on Ritalin, no matter what the consequences for himself may be. "Yeah, I'll go to jail for it," he said. "I'll go as long as I have to go."
*Thumbs up*

Finally a parent who's putting his pants on.

Odoul

Sounds like good intentions gone terribly wrong.

And yes Equilibrium was (surprisingly) badass.

DJ Demon J said:
Fuck, it's disturbing how many Americans are on anti-depressants.

Umm, Ritalin isn't a depressant you tard. I took it for about 8 years and I didn't take it because I was depressed.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the kid was experiencing undesired side effects, so the parent took him off the meds? Good. That's what your supposed to do!

These things aren't magic beans that make children into little angels. They have potentially serious consequences when not matched up to a patient properly.

+1 to the dad

Malakhov

Banned
Ritalin is (often, not always) a sorry ass substitute for good parenting and is often the price to pay to sit your child in front of the t.v. instead of letting him be active.

shoplifter

Good for him, I'm fucking sick of the whole 'oh lets just put them on ritalin/prozak/paxil' culture in the States. In some cases, its probably necessary, but the complacency and quickness to put people on these drugs is unreal.

Matlock

Banned
GuntherBait said:
Umm, Ritalin isn't a depressant you tard. I took it for about 8 years and I didn't take it because I was depressed.

Actually, it's a psychoactive drug. Works differently for different people. For some it works as a depressant, making them slow down a bit. For some (most adults, oddly enough), it works as a stimulant, making them buzz like nobody's business.

Malakhov said:
Ritalin is (often, not always) a sorry ass substitute for good parenting and is often the price to pay to sit your child in front of the t.v. instead of letting him be active.
Honestly, the biggest thing that people don't understand about Ritalin is the fact that it alters the chemical balance in your brain to stimulate certain areas to help you focus better.

However, parents that just put their kids on it to make them behave.... for disorders like A.D.H.D. I think is wrong and that better communication between the parents and the kids in order.

Honestly though, having A.D.D. and I tell people that, they don't know that I have it because I've overcome it, but if you never overcome the obstical of forcing yourself to concentrate, that's when bad parents come into the picture. They choose for their kids instead of both the child and the parents making a decision.

Matlock said:
Actually, it's a psychoactive drug. Works differently for different people. For some it works as a depressant, making them slow down a bit. For some (most adults, oddly enough), it works as a stimulant, making them buzz like nobody's business.

That depends. For me, I could tell when I was on the drug. I could tell when I was off the drug. Now however, it's being aware when I need to focus and when I don't.

Honestly though, there are other drugs out there that are actually better than Ritalin simply because it reacts better with their needs.

Ferrio

Banned
shoplifter said:
Good for him, I'm fucking sick of the whole 'oh lets just put them on ritalin/prozak/paxil' culture in the States. In some cases, its probably necessary, but the complacency and quickness to put people on these drugs is unreal.

It's stupid, because it's the same type of parents that would freak if Johnny has been smoking pot.

GuntherBait said:

Hey numbnuts I said antidepressant. Read the fucking article:

More Kids on Antidepressants

Taylor is among many parents facing a dilemma over whether to medicate children who suffer from mental disorders. A recent study by Express Scripts Inc., a medical benefits management company, found antidepressant use increased 49 percent among consumers younger than 18 between 1998 and 2002. Preschoolers up to age 5, the study found, were the fastest-growing users of prescription antidepressants.

GuntherBait said:
Honestly though, having A.D.D. and I tell people that, they don't know that I have it because I've overcome it, but if you never overcome the obstical of forcing yourself to concentrate, that's when bad parents come into the picture. They choose for their kids instead of both the child and the parents making a decision.

ob·sta·cle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bst-kl)
n.
One that opposes, stands in the way of, or holds up progress.

DJ Demon J said:
Hey numbnuts I said antidepressant. Read the fucking article:

More Kids on Antidepressants

Taylor is among many parents facing a dilemma over whether to medicate children who suffer from mental disorders. A recent study by Express Scripts Inc., a medical benefits management company, found antidepressant use increased 49 percent among consumers younger than 18 between 1998 and 2002. Preschoolers up to age 5, the study found, were the fastest-growing users of prescription antidepressants.

Fine, insert "Anti" before my statement and your argument still doesn't make any sense.

darscot

I was briefly "medicated" as a kid. I remember sitting in class thinking fuck am I ever stoned. Sure it makes you better behaved, your baked. Why not just give the kid a nice big bowl before school? It's the same damn thing. Thumbs up to this parent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom