• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists develop 10-minute universal cancer test (inexpensive one)

Best to kill it when it's young, I'd schedule one in yearly or every six months if it were available and cheap. For people with family history of certain cancers it will mean more worry free lives.

I'm not sure how useful this is. We all have cancerous cells in our body right now, but our immune system can usually kill/control it. The body has additional mechanisms to deal with malignant growth beyond apoptosis.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not sure how useful this is. We all have cancerous cells in our body right now, but our immune system can usually kill/control it. The body has additional mechanisms to deal with malignant growth beyond apoptosis.
It seems there is still a minimum threshhold since there must be enough cancerous DNA particles in the bloodstream to detect in the first place.

The big advantage is that you don't have to do a biopsy in a specific area where the patient found a lump or has noticed symptoms. It's a screening.

The medical field has burned a spotlight on preventative care and screening more and more because treatment is far more expensive than prevention. Maybe the test isn't perfect but it's a toehold.

FutureMD

I'm assuming the tumour has to be malignant before this detects it, right? Which may be too late for a lot of cancer types, but I suppose it's better to know kinda late than stage IV late. I'm honestly expecting yearly high tesla MRI scans to be the standard for detecting cancer, can't wait until cancer is not a big thing anymore.

i feel like most people who get this will have some form of cancer detected, whether it is benign or malignant is a different matter. from what I read about this last week?, it doesnt detect that. so prob not best for initial screenings, but as other pointed out, remission testing is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom