• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists discover link between propionate and diabetes

cryptoadam

Banned
ISRAELI AND U.S. SCIENTISTS DISCOVER LINK BETWEEN PROPIONATE AND DIABETES

A widely-used food preservative to inhibit the growth of mold could be contributing to increasing rates of obesity and diabetes, a new study published by Israeli and American researchers has revealed.

Today, diabetes affects over 400 million adults worldwide, and the figure is expected to soar to more than 640 million by 2040. Growing attention is being paid to external factors such as diet and environment to explain the increase.

When the researchers administered propionate to mice, they discovered that it set off a chain reaction resulting in a hormonal surge, producing more glucose and ultimately hyperglycemia, a defining characteristic of diabetes.

When researchers gave the mice an equal amount of propionate to that used in a serving of food, the mice gained weight and developed a resistance to insulin.

Researchers then conducted a double-blinded placebo-controlled study on 14 humans in good health. Those who ingested propionate showed higher levels of certain hormones, including glucagon, which works to raise the concentration of glucose in the bloodstream.

The findings, published in Science Translational Medical Journal, indicate that propionate plays a role in the metabolic process and could potentially contribute to the rise of obesity and diabetes.

"The dramatic increase in the incidence of obesity and diabetes over the past 50 years cannot be attributed to genetic changes, and involve contributing environmental and dietary factors," said Dr. Amir Tirosh, director of the Institute of Endocrinology at Sheba Medical Center and one of the authors of the study.

"One such factor that warrants attention is the extensive use of chemicals in the processing, preservation, and packaging of foods. We are exposed to hundreds of these chemicals on a daily basis, and most have never been tested for their long-term metabolic effects."

While propionate has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, the researchers added, their findings suggest that alternative methods for food preservation should be evaluated.

CyberPanda

Banned
So it’s ok to poison or murder people in cold blood just because “we’re all gonna die sooner or later”
No, it’s not ok. But, you honestly think they are gonna stop using preservatives? What other alternatives do they have to stop mold in food? Mold or diabetes, it’s a lose-lose situation. And, I doubt food companies are going to go for a more expensive alternative. At the end of the day they care about profits, and saving money.

AnotherOne

No, it’s not ok. But, you honestly think they are gonna stop using preservatives? What other alternatives do they have to stop mold in food? Mold or diabetes, it’s a lose-lose situation. And, I doubt food companies are going to go for a more expensive alternative. At the end of the day they care about profits, and saving money.
I heard eating mold is good for the immune system, might try some later idk.

HoodWinked

They need to outlaw this shit asap. Diabetes cost to our medicare system is staggering. Says this propionate crap is commonly used in bread and cheese which arent good for you to begin with. I'm assuming soft cheese since aged hard cheese dont need as much preservatives.

Last edited:
Which is it then.

Another study finds that fatty acid propionate can calm the immune cells that drive up blood pressure, thereby protecting the body from damaging effects of high blood pressure.

daveonezero

Banned
There is another alternative but since there are so many regulations on food production it isn’t economically viable anymore.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
It's money over health for most companies. Their purpose is to make food and use whatever is legal to preserve it. They don't give a shit about you, they care about the money they make. Until it's illegal to use, they will find some way to shove it in there to make their products last longer.

Wimbledon

Understood, until you stop taking those vitamin pills. Then it's all over. Your lifestyle is artificial.

I don't take pills though

Also let me clarify i should say i'm plant-based. Vegan implies i care about animals as much as humans, i care about the health aspect of it. I don't care about animals as much as i do humanity. I don't believe the suffering aspect will change or that animals will cease to be impacted by us.

Last edited:

Breakage

No doubt, diabetes is deadly (I think many people don't take it seriously as they should), but when I'm at the supermarket, I often see fat people, especially those from the increased risk ethnic groups, loading up on all the unhealthy sugary shit. Cakes, bottles of pop, sweets, fruit juice etc – you name it, they have it in large quantities their trollies.

We have the “traffic light” food labelling system here in the UK, which literally tells the consumer which foods are high in sugar with the use of the colour red, but people just ignore it. It's no surprise that we are fast becoming the fattest nation in Western Europe – only Malta and Turkey are ahead.

Last edited:
Which is it then.

I think that is generated by your body which is different and shouldn't be confused with. I'm pretty sure the propionate mentioned by the OT is type of arcylic acid that is processed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom