• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists find way to treat deadly pancreatic cancer in 14 days

cryptoadam

Banned

A new treatment developed by Tel Aviv University could induce the destruction of pancreatic cancer cells, eradicating the number of cancerous cells by up to 90% after 2 weeks daily injecting of a small molecule PJ34.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the hardest to treat cancers. Most people who are diagnosed with the disease don’t live even five years after being diagnosed, much less than for many other forms of cancer.

The study, led by Prof. Malka Cohen-Armon and her team at TAU’s Sackler Faculty of Medicine, in collaboration with Dr. Talia Golan’s team at the Cancer Research Center at Sheba Medical Center, was recently published in the journal Oncotarget.

Specifically, the study found that a small molecule called PJ34, injected intravenously, causes the self-destruction of human cancer cells during their mitsos, the scientific term for cell division.

The research was conducted with xenografts, transplantation of human pancreatic cancer into immunocompromised mice. A month after being injected with the molecule daily for 14 days, “there was a reduction of 90% of pancreatic cells in the tumor,” Cohen-Armon told The Jerusalem Post. “In one mouse, the tumor completely disappeared.”

“This molecule causes an anomaly during mitosis of human cancer cells, provoking rapid cell death,” she said. “Thus, cell multiplication itself resulted in cell death in the treated cancer cells.”

Moreover, she said, PJ34 appears to have no impact on healthy cells, thus “no adverse effects were observed.” The mice, she said continued to grow and gain weight as usual.

How long will it take to move from mice trials to human trials?

She said that she estimates “at least two years on the condition that we get enough funding.”

First, she said, the group will test the treatment on pigs and then apply for permission from the FDA to administer humans with this molecule.

“I am optimistic,” Cohen-Armon concluded.

Well lets hope that this could eventually work in humans.

cryptoadam

Banned
Heard this before... See you in 10 years when they are close to curing cancer for the 100th time

all though overtly negative yes we do need to take it with a grain of salt since they haven't even tested in humans yet. But lets hope that with more research and studying this could lead to something. Its an encourging first step, but its only a first step.

It would be great if we could have a cure for cancer in our lifetimes.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
all though overtly negative yes we do need to take it with a grain of salt since they haven't even tested in humans yet. But lets hope that with more research and studying this could lead to something. Its an encourging first step, but its only a first step.

It would be great if we could have a cure for cancer in our lifetimes.

Ummmm there are lots of foods that are anticancer like green cruciferous vegetables and foods the increases ur chances of cancer like diets high in protein/meat and saturated fat. Eat more greens/foods with different colors/nuts&seeds/go plant-based and eat less meat/protein/saturated fat...

https://www.drfuhrman.com/elearning...rous-vegetables-offer-great-cancer-protection

Last edited:

AlphaMale

isn't 2 years a little too far away to treat Alex Trebek? I wonder if he could just pay and have it performed on him right now?

jesse-pinkman-science-640x652-copy.jpg

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
This could be monumental

all cancer is terrible but pancreatic cancer is considered to be one of the worst, especially as far as 5-10 year survival rates, from what I’ve read

When I think about this possible cure, I share the same sentiments, that this could be something huge, but then I hear capitalism ringing in my brain and I can imagine the price tag on something like this skyrocketing due to a Pharmacy corporation buying the rights.

Imagine if this was found sooner, with trials on humans already done AND with a decent price tag? Satoshi Kon, could still be alive today.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I think about this possible cure, I share the same sentiments, that this could be something huge, but then I hear capitalism ringing in my brain and I can imagine the price tag on something like this skyrocketing due to a Pharmacy corporation buying the rights.

Imagine if this was found sooner, with trials on humans already done AND with a decent price tag? Satoshi Kon, could still be alive today.
The majority of drug companies promoting cures fail.

And it's no different in government labs. The only difference is that it's not a company trying to hype up its stock price. The goal is to hype it up to raise money.

A company or government lab dicking around with lab results in mice isn't even Phase 1 in FDA approvals. The article says if they get funding human tests can be in 2 years..... which means if everything goes fine in phases, an actual FDA approval probably won't be for a minimum of 5 years...... probably more like 10 years. See you guys in 2030.

When it gets to Phase 3, then keep an eye out for it.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The majority of drug companies promoting cures fail.

And it's no different in government labs. The only difference is that it's not a company trying to hype up its stock price. The goal is to hype it up to raise money.

A company or government lab dicking around with lab results in mice isn't even Phase 1 in FDA approvals. The article says if they get funding human tests can be in 2 years..... which means if everything goes fine in phases, an actual FDA approval probably won't be for a minimum of 5 years...... probably more like 10 years. See you guys in 2030.

When it gets to Phase 3, then keep an eye out for it.

Big true, but also I feel it is fine to be enthusiastic, considering what they are attempting here. Like what Sir Tesseract Tesseract said below above. This type of cancer is basically the literal Death Sentence spell from FFVII.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What a terrible disease. Just last week my best friend sister died due to this damn cancer. 39yo, no smoke, no drugs, healthy, 2hs per day gym and in one moth completely consumed her. Wish all of this is true.
Not pancreatic cancer, but some kind of colon cancer (I think), but I had a coworker die in her 40s and she was thin, ate well, exercised. Got diagnosed and died about one year later. By the time she got news of it, it had already spread throughout her lower body, so it was terminal.

This shit can pop up out of nowhere.

Winter John

Gold Member
My old man died from it right afer Christmas 2 years ago. That shit went through him like he was nothing. He got diagnosed with it around September and he was dead 3 days into January. He was a big man but by the end there wasn't nothing left of him but skin and bone. The doctors let us bring him home at the end so he could die here. One thing he couldn't stand was having a scruffy beard,.So we got the local barber to come out and give him a professional trim which was real nice. He died the next afternoon. I washed his body and went on a drinking binge.

Last edited:

alife

"...causes the self-destruction of human cancer cells during their mitsos, the scientific term for cell division." Lol, mitsos.

Never mind, they corrected it to mitosis on the actual site. I'm not looking forward to old age. Fuck.
lKRenQj.gif

25QBUd5.gif

subsmoke

I don't put much stock in these type of stories. We've cured cancer and other degenerative diseases a million times in rats and it hasn't meant a thing for us humans.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't put much stock in these type of stories. We've cured cancer and other degenerative diseases a million times in rats and it hasn't meant a thing for us humans.

It's worth mentioning though that a few types of cancer are actually curable because of successful research and testing. Testicular cancer being one, it used to mean certain death unless caught in a very early stage with surgery and radiation.

cryptoadam

Banned

Seventy-seven percent of patients suffering from stage IV metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma (pancreatic cancer) and treated with a protocol developed by an Israel-based biopharmaceutical company were able to get their disease under control, according to results of an ongoing study.

Modi’in-based BioLineRx revealed updated data from the triple combination arm of its ongoing Phase 2a COMBAT/KEYNOTE-202 study that shows double the positive effect on the treatment of pancreatic cancer compared to the approved second-line chemotherapy treatment for the disease at a conference in Geneva last week.

Thirty-two percent of evaluatable patients from the study saw a reduction in tumor size (of more than 30% from baseline), as opposed to 17% of patients treated with chemotherapy based on historical data. Furthermore, another 45% of patients were able to stabilize the disease, meaning that tumor size neither grew nor was reduced by much over the course of the trial.

“That means 77% of patients were able to achieve disease control rate,” said Philip Serlin, CEO of BioLineRx. This is compared to 52% of patients who are treated with chemotherapy alone.

“Although it cannot be automatically assumed, one could surmise that if there is a higher response rate, there will be a longer progression free survival,” he said. “Our hope is that therefore patients will live longer.”

That's great. I just wish this was around for my Dad who died of Pancreatic Cancer a few years ago.

He died within three months of getting diagnosed. It's
fast, brutal and aggressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom