• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientology contract leaks (get ready for some major nutfvckery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I am not bolding shit, the document is way too rich for that.

http://scienceblogs.com/primatediaries/2009/07/leaked_scientology_documents_r.php

PDF

Earlier this week a classified Scientology contract was leaked (full pdf document here), revealing the paranoid nature of the Church. The document is entitled Application, Declaration and General Release Declaration of Religious Commitment and Application for Membership in a Scientology Religious Order and for Active Participation on Church Staff. This contract must be signed by anyone who wishes to engage in "active participation as a staff member within the Church of Scientology" as a Class V Org member.

Among the items they must agree to are:

8. I am not related to or connected with any intelligence agency, either by past history or immediate familial connection.
9. I do NOT have a parent or a guardian who is an antagonist of the Scientology religion, or of any organization devoted to Scientology applied religious philosophy.
10. I am not seeking a staff position to obtain material for dissemination to the public via press, radio, television, motion picture or other media. I do not seek to obtain data for any other organization or to disrupt the Church organization.
11. I do not have personal debts of a magnitude such that efforts to satisfy them would immediately disrupt or cause me to pull back from my commitment to the Church.

The document continues by insisting that the following points be individually signed, making clear that the Church is not obligated to follow state or federal labor practices:

I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT ALL CHURCH STAFF MEMBERS INCLUDING MYSELF, ARE MEMBERS OF A RELIGIOUS ORDER; THAT THEY SERVE PURSUANT TO THEIR RELIGIOUS OBLIGATIONS AND NOT IN CONTEMPLATION OF RECEIVING ANY COMPENSATION WHATSOEVER, AND IN DOING SO THAT THEY ARE FORSAKING ALL COMMERCIAL AND FINANCIAL MOTIVATION. PLEASE INITIAL __

EACH CONSIDERS HIMSELF/HERSELF A VOLUNTEER TO CREATE A BETTER WORLD, AND UNDERSTANDS THAT HE/SHE IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE, I.E. IS NOT ENTITLED TO RECEIVE SECULAR BENEFITS SUCH AS A MINIMUM WAGE OR OVERTIME COMPENSATION. PLEASE INITIAL __

As if that weren't enough of an incentive to join, the document then goes on to warn the applicant of what will happen if they break their agreement:

7. BREACH OF COVENANT. If a staff member . . . breaks his agreement either by leaving staff before completing his commitment [either 2 1/2 or 5 years] or by violating his good standing as a Scientology staff member so that he is dismissed in accordance with policy, he or she shall remit forthwith to the Church a penance for violation of this covenant in accordance with the ecclesiastical policy of the Church if such person is declared a "freeloader". [...]

9. ENTIRETY OF COVENANT. The Church shall not be obligated to honor any verbal promises or any other terms or conditions not specifically covered in this Covenant. This Covenant forms the entirety of the Church's agreement with the Church staff member, and promises no specific counselling, training, posts or other benefits to any Church staff member.

So the Scientologists make you honor your promise to shill for them and receive nothing in return (and then pay a "penance for violation" if they are in any way dissatisfied with you) but they don't have to honor any of their promises to you. How nice of them. Then, in the event that you might be dissatisfied with how they exploited you and kicked you to the curb, they make clear that any legal action is off limits:

B. I HEREBY RELEASE AND DISCHARGE THE RELEASES from all actions, claims or demands I, my heirs, distributees, guardians, legal representatives or assigns ever had, now have or may hereafter have for injury or damage resulting from or any way connected with my membership in the Scientology Religious Order, active participation on Church staff or association with the Releasees. [...]

I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY, COVENANT NOT TO SUE AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT BETWEEN MYSELF AND THE CHURCH AND/OR ITS AFFILIATED ORGANIZATIONS AND/OR OTHER INDIVIDUALS, AND I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY PLACING MY SIGNATURE AT THE END OF THIS DOCUMENT I SHALL BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS. PLEASE INITIAL __

"Bu-bu-but it's like any other religion!"

I don't think such contracts should be enforceable. If they want the courts to enforce their contracts then they are a business and need to pay taxes which pays for those courts.

They are getting a free ride if they don't pay taxes yet expect to have the legal system enforce their contracts.

Funky Papa said:

I hate this shit on GAF so much. Everytime someone brings up "free speech" as an argument against banning Scientology, whereas Scientology gives a shit about civil rights..

Jeff-DSA

I've lost a friend to Scientology. He doesn't talk to anybody anymore unless they're Scientologists. It really, really, sucks.

With that said, nothing in this document was shocking to me. This is mild compared to a lot of the things they ask their members to do/sacrifice.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
speculawyer said:
I don't think such contracts should be enforceable. If they want the courts to enforce their contracts then they are a business and need to pay taxes which pays for those courts.

They are getting a free ride if they don't pay taxes yet expect to have the legal system enforce their contracts.

I don't think it really is enforceable. If it were it would have been used in a court of law already and would be public record.

It boggles the mind that there are people that willingly sign such a horrible one-sided contract like that. It's even more puzzling that anyone thinks that Scientology is a real religion.

tenritsu

Banned
11. I do not have personal debts of a magnitude such that efforts to satisfy them would immediately disrupt or cause me to pull back from my commitment to the Church.

... Wow. I would have thought that this line... hell, every freaking line in the "contract" would make someone realize that this is just a major bufu.

I guess not :\

tokkun

Funky Papa said:

Those terms sound much more reasonable than what you agree to by joining the Catholic priesthood, convent, or monastery.

I'm not a legal buff, but I'm pretty sure they can't enforce that contract in a court of law. If the organization is taking advantage of you, you can still sue, covenant or not.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
6rjww9.jpg

Chumly

tokkun said:
Those terms sound much more reasonable than what you agree to by joining the Catholic priesthood, convent, or monastery.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Didnt take long for the ignorance train to arrive.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah i've heard worse stuff outta this shithole of a "religion", but still.

tokkun said:

How many religions do you know of that have an internal Intelligence Agency?

Blackface

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I've lost a friend to Scientology. He doesn't talk to anybody anymore unless they're Scientologists. It really, really, sucks.

With that said, nothing in this document was shocking to me. This is mild compared to a lot of the things they ask their members to do/sacrifice.

Utah is amazing.

Evlar

Banned
speculawyer said:

Documents of this sort are not produced to be legally binding. They are crafted to intimidate the employee into non-action in the face of abuse and compliance toward the church authority in general. I've seen a similar "contract" used by a fundamentalist Christian organization.

Evlar said:
Documents of this sort are not produced to be legally binding. They are crafted to intimidate the employee into non-action in the face of abuse and compliance toward the church authority in general. I've seen a similar "contract" used by a fundamentalist Christian organization.

which one?

Evlar

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
which one?
Mmm, mum on that, sorry. I don't have the offending documents in my possession to back up that kind of claim against a specific organization.

Common points with the document above were: the statement that wages were variable and potentially optional; declaration that the employee had no recourse to legal aid in the event of any kind of workers' rights abuses; the pretext that the contract was binding upon the employee for the term of the agreement while not similarly binding upon the employer, i.e., they could terminate you for whatever reason and you could not "honorably" quit. The idea of compensating the Church of Scientology for not living up to their standards is different, though. That's particularly evil.

Tonay

Banned
Anyone stupid enough to sign such a contract deserves to be exploited.

I'm just pissed off because Scientology are so damn good at what they do. I mean, come on, the celebrity centre, the contracts, the money they make, the complete control, the lobbying, the threats, the tax evasion, the mythology, the e-meters...it's fucking brilliant stuff.

There's a wealth of information out there about how crazy and horrible this religion is, from documentaries to edgy cartoons to primetime drama to celebrity magazines to newspaper articles to internet phenomenons to street protests and endless news reports and yet people are still joining them, and so, you know what I do? I tip my hat. Because those motherfuckers are on the fucking ball - they're fighting a war on 6 fronts and they've still got the FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR paying them nine hundred grand. BOOM.

Torquill

tokkun said:
#1 no
#2 you're comparing clergy level people with common members

KAOz

Short bus special
Pantheon Of The Lesser said:
so, when i die, this Xenu character gets me some virgins or how does this thing work?

No, but when you reach the same OT-level as Kirstie Alley (by giving enough money to the church!) you should get the power of telepathy and shooting lasers out of basically every orifice.

Basically, if you are poor, please gtfo.

KAOz said:
No, but when you reach the same OT-level as Kirstie Alley (by giving enough money to the church!) you should get the power of telepathy and shooting lasers out of basically every orifice.

i swear, if that is true, i would sign the contract today. meeting Kirstie Alley would be awesome.

Evlar said:
Mmm, mum on that, sorry. I don't have the offending documents in my possession to back up that kind of claim against a specific organization.

Common points with the document above were: the statement that wages were variable and potentially optional; declaration that the employee had no recourse to legal aid in the event of any kind of workers' rights abuses; the pretext that the contract was binding upon the employee for the term of the agreement while not similarly binding upon the employer, i.e., they could terminate you for whatever reason and you could not "honorably" quit. The idea of compensating the Church of Scientology for not living up to their standards is different, though. That's particularly evil.

I see, The Scientology contract does cast a much wider blanket though. Its basically saying "you cannot sue us for anything, ever", where as the Fundamentalist contract is specific to worker's rights.

thetechkid

Scientology: If you're poor or have anything we don't want, gtfo.
If you do have shit and we take it, too bad you can't sue us.

I do not have personal debts of a magnitude such that efforts to satisfy them would immediately disrupt or cause me to pull back from my commitment to the Church.

'Cause making you a debt slave, that's our job, you motherfucking chump! Whoooahahahah. HAHAHAHAHA. HEEHAHAHEEHAHAHAHAHAH.

Lagpsike_exe said:
I just read this... I don't know if I read anything that is closely as retarded and ridiculous as this. Nutjobs.

They have their own NAVY and CIA... :lol I mean damn, you cant get more organized than that.

Tonay said:
Anyone stupid enough to sign such a contract deserves to be exploited.

I'm just pissed off because Scientology are so damn good at what they do. I mean, come on, the celebrity centre, the contracts, the money they make, the complete control, the lobbying, the threats, the tax evasion, the mythology, the e-meters...it's fucking brilliant stuff.

There's a wealth of information out there about how crazy and horrible this religion is, from documentaries to edgy cartoons to primetime drama to celebrity magazines to newspaper articles to internet phenomenons to street protests and endless news reports and yet people are still joining them, and so, you know what I do? I tip my hat. Because those motherfuckers are on the fucking ball - they're fighting a war on 6 fronts and they've still got the FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR paying them nine hundred grand. BOOM.

That's true. No matter how evil they are, you can't really blame them as long as people are happy to sign up with them.

Jean-Claude Picard said:
That's true. No matter how evil they are, you can't really blame them as long as people are happy to sign up with them.

Signing up people out of ignorance is no reason to commend them.

R2D4

Banned
KAOz said:

And the power to gain weight at will.

You know, I read the wikipedia page, and although I kind of have a sense of their beliefs, I don't understand what the hell about scientology hooks these people when other religions fail. Anyone have an enlightening link or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom