• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn Xbox Series X Trailer

Mister Wolf

Are there any other scifi games like Scorn where a world's biological advancement took precedence over mechanical advancement.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That design around 2 minutes and 50 seconds in is pretty disturbing. If they can keep up that level of art design and the gameplay is good, I may check this out.

Mister Wolf

Definitely going to play this with headphones.

"For anyone wondering about the artist. Soundtrack for Scorn is composed by Adis "Billain" Kutkut (but he's doing the soundtrack for this game under his other "Aethek" alias). He's a very known producer in the Drum and Bass realm."

Last edited:
I guess there might be a game in there somewhere, but 7 minutes-worth of asset-flybys and basic cut-scenes don't impress me in the slightest. The art-direction and overall quality is good, but its wholly derivative and very samey. I mean the novelty of having nicely rendered ersatz Bekzinkski and Giger artwork wears thin just in this trailer.

Whats more damning is the one bit that appears to be user controlled is a painfully over-extended reload animation, that in the context of actual gameplay is sure to become aggravating as hell past the first viewing.

Bottom line: If this was a scene demo it'd be pretty good, but as a promo for a game? Fail.

You're absolutely in the minority on this.

Also...a lot of what you're saying just sounds like assumptions where you've came into it on the wrong context. This isn't a FPS; it's a (seemingly) methodical, scifi/cyberpunk/horror 1st-person adventure game. In THAT context, there's nothing wrong with drawn-out elements especially if it's meant to complement a particular atmosphere (which this game is clearly aiming for). I don't see these same complaints with films that deliberately emphasize drawn-out shots or focuses.

This is one of the few games that actually wholly commits to the Giger aesthetic (which, as an aesthetic, has inspired SO many games, films, comics, even some anime/manga etc. over the decades it's not even funny). The only other games I can think of which did this were the Dark Seed DOS games back in the '90s, which Giger directly worked on IIRC. You're taking insult to what's clearly an homage to an artstyle that's yet to see a full commitment to in a game in literal decades, certainly the best take of it yet, and the fact it's really the only game committing to such a style consistently throughout is actually unique in and of itself.

So, I think you're viewing it as "derivative" because you see the effort in a mistaken context; the game is clearly a respectable homage to that type of Giger aesthetic, and bringing it into a gaming environment in a way that isn't solely attached to Xenomorphs seems to be considered as refreshing for the vast majority who are looking into this game, myself included.

This game's clearly going for a more slow-paced vibe, with an atmosphere that helps compliment it, and consistency in that atmosphere to match. It's not a FPS, so they can afford to do some "drawn-out" animations and effects as the atmosphere invites it. And there are some snippets of gameplay in it (granted I would've wished for more gameplay too); it's not hard to guess how the gameplay would seemingly work, though.

EDIT: Okay so I looked at some older gameplay footage and it has a decent amount of shooting in there, so it's probably not best to fully de-emphasize that aspect of the game.

However, I still didn't see an issue with the reloading like you bring up. It's kind of clear you're meant to pick and choose your engagements wisely and not waste your shots, else you could be vulnerable on a reload (which could force you to try and seek refuge in order to reload in peace).

Last edited:

makaveli60

This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. Into my veins with it already. Might have to buy an XSX sooner than I planned...

Last edited:
As a Giger fan, this looks good, but I have my doubts this aesthetic working in an entire game. IMO giger's biomechanical art style works best in doses. Games rely a lot on reusing assets, and biomechanical stuff can get repetitive very quickly since there isn't much variation in color and texture and the underlying elements that make something look biomechanical.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Why would it hold anything back when the game has been in development since 2014? Its not like previous gen couldn't handle UE4 lol. Game has a great artstyle but its not exactly "next-gen".

Looking forward to playing it but I highly doubt its coming out this year :messenger_anguished:
“We learned every lesson two times over. It almost feels unreal with how much confidence and how much ignorance we went into all of this. If at the beginning someone could project to your mind how much you don’t know, and would need to learn, you would probably just be too paralysed to start at all. Basically 80% of that part of the game you saw has changed, let alone the rest of the game.”

This is not an official trailer. It just combines footage from previous trailers into one video. I guess GameClips wants people to think they have exclusive footage, when they don't.

nikolino840

This is not an official trailer. It just combines footage from previous trailers into one video. I guess GameClips wants people to think they have exclusive footage, when they don't.
Oh... 😪

cireza

New info coming next month, and Series S is not holding back the game.

they-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno if it deserves its own thread but demo....

Game looks incredible. But seems slow, dull and repetitive.

Tech demo?

Ecit: uh oh beaten like a redheaded Unggoy.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I think the first fps I played when I got an Xbox 360 was Prey. That was an awesome next gen experience. I'm getting deja vu vibes that this will be my first next gen fps experience on the Series X. And it kind of feels like Prey as well.

I think the first fps I played when I got an Xbox 360 was Prey. That was an awesome next gen experience. I'm getting deja vu vibes that this will be my first next gen fps experience on the Series X. And it kind of feels like Prey as well.
Prey 2006 was much better than this when it came to gameplay.

Top Bottom